2010 Mercedes-Benz R-Class

7.6

Based on 182 Ratings for the 2006 - 2012 models.

Fabulous vehicle but be forewarned about repairs

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "driving experience, passenger amenities"

Cons: "reliabilty"

"This is the third MB and the second R. The first R was a 2006 and I traded it in on a new Volvo XC70 as soon as the warranty on the R was up. Usual first model year glitches on the 2006 R and just not worth the annoyance and expense. I soon realized how different the R is from other crossovers. I kept the Volvo XC70 for approximately 6 months then switched to a 2010 R. The level of refinement, driving agility, and passenger comfort are the best features of this vehicle. That having been said my wife has a seven year old E class that has only been to the service center once for anything other then normal maintenance. The R on the other hand is in about every two months. I did purchase the extended warranty which will pay for itself based on past experience. Ultimately, I think buyers are fooling themselves if they expect the repair bills for a $60K car to be comparable to a $30K (insert other American/Japanese brand here) but they will find a higher level of reliability in the other brand. They only produce around 3K R's in Alabama each year and I firmly believe that is the difference between the R and the E. One is built in Alabama and the other is still built in Stuttgart Germany. My next car will be another R but I go in with my eyes open regarding the cost of ownership."

Comfort, luxury, safety, roomy, & its a Benz.

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Pros: "Big & comfy, yet sporty & safe handling."

Cons: "Maintenance can be expensive."

"Second owner. Love the styling, handling, and especially the roominess. 6 can sit in comfort on a long trip, and the all- glass roof doesn't cause claustrophobia. I can get 28MPG on cruise - not bad for a deuce and 1/2 weight wise. The Sirius radio and Harmon Cardon stereo system is better than most people have in their homes."

Safety

By on Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Pros: "Safety, Comfort, Diesel Economy, All-wheel Drive"

Cons: "Big rear doors hard to open in tight spaces"

"This is an excellent vehicle. We love that 6 adults actually fit comfortably. The diesel engine is powerful and efficient; we get 30 mpg on road trips. I love knowing that my family is in such a safe vehicle. I would recommend an R-class to anyone looking for a comfortable SUV or wagon with all-wheel-drive."

Excellent

By on Wednesday, June 02, 2010

"Great handling and huge storage. After 65,000 not one problem."

Nice style and layout of interior. Many problems.

By on Saturday, February 02, 2013

"Many electrical and mechanical problems."

Expensive to own

By on Thursday, September 22, 2011

"Did my research on the R320 CDI and it met my criteria of a solid well built crossover. It is a safe auto with great fuel mileage in the city/hwy for the size of the car. The diesel was a better performing motor than the gas motors. It has seating for 6 and is comfortable. However, service and maintenance costs are extremely high. Service intervals cost between $500 and $1000. During the warranty period, the car developed numerous problems with transmission programming and when the warranty expired a exhaust waste gate electric motor replacement was needed which cost $1500 to repair. It appears Mercedes has you coming and going and is constantly in your pocket. So much for German engineering and prestige I will go with reliability and lower overall cost of ownership as my primary decision factors from now on."

9 months driving my 2011 R350, and still all grins

By on Sunday, September 18, 2011

Pros: "Premium driving pleasure. Very high safety futures. Very roomy."

Cons: "Voice activation system unusable. Command controls (nav) unconventional."

"I have a 3 series and a 7 series BMW. I had never considered MB before. When boys grew older, and minivan didn't sit well in their coolness gauge, my wife wanted to change her minivan with a 7-seatrer SUV. She was insisting on BMW X5. So, we went to the dealer and looked at one with rare 3rd row seat. Not only the third row seat is not useable, we didn't fancy the car as much as we initially thought. Audi Q7 was the same story with the third row seat. I had never considered R type because of its really ugly front design, but when the 2011 model came out, it was just love at first sight. When we test drove and sat in the third row seat, we made up our mind already. Detail to comfort and luxury is incredible. Ride is as smooth and quite as can be. Handling and breaking great. Steering wheel pedal shifts, rear view camera, navigation, bluetooth, all accessories are great. 6 in dash 1 in center console DVD system, cordless headphones keeps the kids really happy at the back. I don't have the Harman-Carton option but the sound system is just fine. Panoramic roof is really nice. Everything in the car that would make you feel comfortable are there. So far in 9 moths I owned the car, there has been no problem to report. Are there any negatives? I can only think of three: - Navigation takes a little getting used to, but once you do, it works great. I don't understand how come they are not offering a touch screen navigation for a car at this price range though... - Bluetooth telephone, address book works with great sound quality, however, voice command system is a joke. It just doesn't work even after voice training. May need German accent? - It has a built in hard drive for media files. Size is 4GB.?! Even the flash card I insert has 8 or 16GB capacity. Other than these, I can not think of anything negative about this car. Interestingly, gasoline mileage is better than advertised. I clocked 21.7MPG on a round trip from Leesburg to Radford, VA. I drive mostly in city, and the average is showing around 17MPG. If you want a large family car withhout compromising driving pleasure, I definitely recommend this. I recommend premium package with heated seats and heated steerig wheel, and entertainment system options. I also got the extended 10 years 100,000 warranty. Mercedes offers it for $3,500, and the unused portion of the extended 6 years is returned or can be transferred over when you sell the car."

love car and its ride

By on Monday, June 07, 2010

"The best family car/van we've ever owned.A long car making blind spots harder to manage."

Great Family Car

By on Friday, January 08, 2010

"This is a great car for the family and alternative to a minivan or SUV. It is solid and you feel safe against anything that may happen, and hopefully won't. The interior is luxurious and also flexible in terms of seating and room. There is so much room and it rides beautifully. Know that it is a very heavy car and the brakes will go fast if you ride them a lot. I shopped around for servicers as it can be expensive to maintain the car with the brakes and tires. But it only needs an oil change every 12,000 miles and remember to rotate the tires every 5,000. My servicer emails reminders to me. If you are looking for a beautiful, safe, roomy family car - you will love this as an alternative to a SUV or minivan."

Best large family car

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2008

"Almost impeccable. Wonderful traveling and commuter vehicle, any weather, always safe. I don't stress in snow/ice b/c it corrects mistakes without fail (ESP, ABS). Love the looks, 18" wheels, moonroof, front middle seat heaters, dividable stereo system, location of controls, user-friendliness and uncluttered, tasteful interior and exterior. Even w/o the airmatic great, comfortable, yet, for its size, spirited and confident ride. 500 engine is a must for this size, quick, great tranny w/ manumatic capability. Tend to drive with both feet to get around the throttle delay, esp. at stops when need to get away quickly (which it does!). Plenty of interior room for family of 5 + lab and stuff (roof racks). Third row seats are more spacious than our MDX (superior ride to the 1st gen MDX). Kids and wife tend to fall asleep quickly..not in MDX, sorry. MB Service always becoming (they keep forgetting to recommend tire rotations, so wear is uneven). Love the 12k mile service intervals. Issues limited to cold weather: foggy windows, chassis rattle somewhere right front, that's it. No electric issues at all (wow!). The R500's been a real treat thus far and makes a lot of sense for what it's intended to be. It grows on me the more time I spend in it. Controls make sense where they are. I needed more space than a station wagon, but not a monster SUV or van. The R perfectly fits the bill."

Beware of the $6,000 Balance Shaft Gear Repair...

By on Saturday, April 19, 2014

"I liked this car until this issue came up-"

Better on the Inside

By on Friday, September 06, 2013

Pros: "Great Used Price, Great Drive, Great Interior,"

Cons: "Lacks storage space with all seats in use"

"The Mercedes R350 isn't the best looking Mercedes of the bunch but it is a dream to own. The interior is so much better than you can imagine. The second row of captains chairs are as comfortable if not more than the front seats. The dual moon roof is awesome and provides extra light to the interior that make this feel even bigger inside. The third row chairs can actually have adults comfortably sit in. The Air suspension is good and bad. Bad because I had to pay to repair it but good because the ride is so smooth, especially for a long road trip. Ours is loaded with the DVD headrests which provide great entertainment for the kids. With all seats in use the storage is definitely lacking. I had to purchase a Thule Roof box for those family trips to help provide enough room for all of our stuff. Overall, I couldn't be happier with this purchase, it has been a great car. I added an extended warranty because I purchased it used and so now I am covered for those costly repairs up to 100,000 miles."

Best auto that's no longer built

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "Easy to drive"

Cons: "space between seats in cargo configuration"

"Compared 3 SUVs when selecting this car in 06: Land Rover, Qx56 and R500. The only one that drove like a sedan was the RClass. That's why I bought it. It's a great car and I dont understand why it isn't more popular with SUV owners. It has as much or more cargo volume than the other two, and it is very comfortable. MB service is very good."

Perfect vehicle for family of six

By on Monday, November 28, 2011

"We have owned this vehicle for six years. It has performed perfectly for our family. We drove on several long trips with four and six occupants and never had any problems. The rear seating is as comfortable as the driving seats. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone."

Smoothest car I have ever owned

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "buy used great price . like your in a airplane"

Cons: "sucks up the gas"

"I have a 2006 R 500 loaded. The gas is terrible but everything else is great. Smooth If I do not put the cruise on I could be going 90 mph and would not realize it. My son is 4 and the surround sound dvd player is a life saver. Navigation system gets me where I am going. I have not put a lot of money into the car at all. You get what you pay for with this car."

I'm buying #2

By on Sunday, October 30, 2011

Pros: "Drives good, comfy seats, good price for luxury ve"

Cons: "Small cargo space when all 3 rows are used."

"Worth the money. Comfortably seats a family of 6. Kept the family safe during a major accident. I'm buying #2!"

Great Crossover

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

"We've had this for about 6 months. 2008 with Premium Package 2. Bought it with 28,000 miles on it and it felt and drove like brand new. This thing is so smooth on the highway and really easy to drive around town."

Great Wagon/Van/SUV?

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pros: "comfort performance practicality safety easy2drive"

Cons: "bluetooth set up"

"I don't know what to call it, but it's amazing. Have to drive one to appreciate it. Got a great deal on a used one because they are not that popular i guess. Smooth pick up. Corners flat. The ride is butter smooth without being "floaty". You feel the heavy weight of it though, but in a "I feel really safe" way; not a clumsy way. Front seats are great, second row is like a limo, third best for kids or short trips.The thing that amazed me most was the turning circle. How they got the thing to turn so tight is unreal!!! Great for moving a big vechile in small parking lots. Just make sure it is wired for bluetooth. that is a big expensive other wise. Also don't buy the $500 bluetooth attachment, used they are only $80. Really love thisWagon/Van/SUV!!!!!!!"

if you need troble - buy R350

By on Thursday, January 07, 2010

"I'm purchase my 2006 R350 2 years ago used with 25000 ml. For warranty period ( before 50Kml) I was on the dealer 8 times w/different problem.After 50Kml I have to replace , for my cost, : front differential,axle,rear ball joints. On vehicle now 58kml and some over noises come from front end. I never had any accidents and I'm careful driver - I don't know how why all this problem come.Don't recommend anyone."

Best Touring

By on Monday, January 04, 2010

"My family loves this car. Our second R class... first was a 2006 and it had many problems enough to make us want to dump it... however after searching the one thing no one could match was comfort for a family of five all close to 6 feet... my 6'3" son prefers the third row and can stretch out comfortably for long trips. We did have to purchase a bullet for the top to carry luggage...miss that about our Suburban, but would not go back to the giant SUV. Our 2009 has been a year with no problems at all... a good feeling."

By on Wednesday, May 20, 2009

"Great used car value alternative to minivan. Venerable 5.0 litre V8 gives good performance. If you need third row seating access is very good--small children can squeeze between 2nd row bucket/captain seats. 2nd row legroom is best by far I've ever seen. Nav and radio controls are not intuitive and take getting used to (nowhere near Honda-Acura for ease of use). Integrated phone needs special cradle (expensive). If you understand and appreciate the functionality of the car, you will learn to love it's loaf-like form."

By on Sunday, March 08, 2009

"Purchased in 2007. Not one spec of trouble in any area. Drives smoothly and rides extremely well. Had to adjust to length of vehicle but room inside was well worth the adjustment."

2006 R Class

By on Tuesday, August 05, 2008

"Bought top of the line in 2006 all added features over 65 k paid. This was a lease thank goodness. Car has had several problems over the 2 year lease all corrected by dealer but still a irritant. One time was at dealer for 30 days before corrected. Great looking and riding auto. Expensive to service. Would have had excess of $10,000. in repairs if not covered by factory. Lease end purchase would be $42,000. But, Mercedes lease called and offered to me at $28,000. I then checked dealer trade from Kelly Blue Book and it is listed at $20,000 in excellent condition. Glad I only leased this car and didn't purchase. Horrible depreciation!!! I have had two Mercedes before this and also currently own a 2008 600SL. I hope this isn't the future of Mercedes Benz. I believe Mercedes will get my lease returned when up in October."

'07 CDI- excellent car!

By on Friday, February 15, 2008

"I have had my '07 R320 CDI 4MATIC for about 10 months now. I have about 30k miles (~90% highway). I agree with some others on here, that the OEM Micheillen tires are not very good, however I just moved up to the Continental 4x4, and I am much happier. I love the fact that I can get all I need into it and still have room for all that the wife happens to pick up on family trips. This being one of the snowiest winters on record in NH, I can attest to its snow performance. In a word, exceptional. I have never owned a better snow machine. The fuel economy also is incredible, with spring-summer values of 27-29 MPG and winter (worst for a diesel) of 24-26 MPG. I will keep this one for quite some time."

Good Choice!

By on Saturday, September 08, 2007

"Coming from a Durango, I have nothing but praise for the big R. PROS: Great quality, good ride, super roomy, looks good, quiet, great stereo, nice sunroof, silky 7-speed. CONS: Nit-pickin' here, but.. mileage is ok, but not great, V-6 is adequate, but no high-HP machine. Probably not the cheapest vehicle for what you get, but the quality is unmatched! Oh, the stigma for owning the benz can be painful at times. But it's just because others are jealous."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz R-Class near Honolulu. See local deals