• 2014 Compact SUVs

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class

7.7

Based on 170 Ratings for the 2006 - 2012 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Would think twice

By on Sunday, September 25, 2011

Pros: "ultra view roof, comfortable seating, ease of getting in and out of back"

Cons: "cost of ownership, gas mileage"

"I have had this car for about a year and a half. I purchased an extended 5-year warranty. The car really gets not-so-great gas mileage. The seating is very comfortable, although I miss the extra 1-2 seats from previous and competitor models. The paddle switches on this model is on the steering wheel and I find myself hitting them in error and knocking the gears down while driving (very scary). The newer models have remedied this by placing the paddle shift in a more overt spot. I do love the gear shift though. I agree whole-heartedly with the other review that Mercedes idea of customer service is you pay and we'll fix. The cost of ownership is the main reason why I'm now looking to trade in my long-awaiting "ideal" car. This car has been in the shop numerous times from the get-go, and now is needing a $650 service to keep it going and full covered by the very expensive warranty I've bought extra. Would consider Cadillac, GMC, Toyota before I'd pay for German engineering and cost!"

Expensive to own

By on Thursday, September 22, 2011

"Did my research on the R320 CDI and it met my criteria of a solid well built crossover. It is a safe auto with great fuel mileage in the city/hwy for the size of the car. The diesel was a better performing motor than the gas motors. It has seating for 6 and is comfortable. However, service and maintenance costs are extremely high. Service intervals cost between $500 and $1000. During the warranty period, the car developed numerous problems with transmission programming and when the warranty expired a exhaust waste gate electric motor replacement was needed which cost $1500 to repair. It appears Mercedes has you coming and going and is constantly in your pocket. So much for German engineering and prestige I will go with reliability and lower overall cost of ownership as my primary decision factors from now on."

9 months driving my 2011 R350, and still all grins

By on Sunday, September 18, 2011

Pros: "Premium driving pleasure. Very high safety futures. Very roomy."

Cons: "Voice activation system unusable. Command controls (nav) unconventional."

"I have a 3 series and a 7 series BMW. I had never considered MB before. When boys grew older, and minivan didn't sit well in their coolness gauge, my wife wanted to change her minivan with a 7-seatrer SUV. She was insisting on BMW X5. So, we went to the dealer and looked at one with rare 3rd row seat. Not only the third row seat is not useable, we didn't fancy the car as much as we initially thought. Audi Q7 was the same story with the third row seat. I had never considered R type because of its really ugly front design, but when the 2011 model came out, it was just love at first sight. When we test drove and sat in the third row seat, we made up our mind already. Detail to comfort and luxury is incredible. Ride is as smooth and quite as can be. Handling and breaking great. Steering wheel pedal shifts, rear view camera, navigation, bluetooth, all accessories are great. 6 in dash 1 in center console DVD system, cordless headphones keeps the kids really happy at the back. I don't have the Harman-Carton option but the sound system is just fine. Panoramic roof is really nice. Everything in the car that would make you feel comfortable are there. So far in 9 moths I owned the car, there has been no problem to report. Are there any negatives? I can only think of three: - Navigation takes a little getting used to, but once you do, it works great. I don't understand how come they are not offering a touch screen navigation for a car at this price range though... - Bluetooth telephone, address book works with great sound quality, however, voice command system is a joke. It just doesn't work even after voice training. May need German accent? - It has a built in hard drive for media files. Size is 4GB.?! Even the flash card I insert has 8 or 16GB capacity. Other than these, I can not think of anything negative about this car. Interestingly, gasoline mileage is better than advertised. I clocked 21.7MPG on a round trip from Leesburg to Radford, VA. I drive mostly in city, and the average is showing around 17MPG. If you want a large family car withhout compromising driving pleasure, I definitely recommend this. I recommend premium package with heated seats and heated steerig wheel, and entertainment system options. I also got the extended 10 years 100,000 warranty. Mercedes offers it for $3,500, and the unused portion of the extended 6 years is returned or can be transferred over when you sell the car."

PROBLEMATIC

By on Thursday, September 08, 2011

Pros: "Drives great.....love that diesel out on the highway"

Cons: "constant maintenence and/or repair expenses.....never cheap!"

"In the 50 some years that I have owned many cars this R320 has been the most problematic car I have ever owned. Electrical problems, computer, air suspension compressor, two different oil leaks, 2 exploded air bags, a/c problems, etc, etc. All I have ever heard was "German craftmanship, Mercedes quality". If this car is an example of that, then I can't wait to get back into a Ford. By the way....I do love how it drives."

Love it: Comfy, quiet, roomy, great for road trips

By on Monday, August 29, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, I buy used to price is great; roomy"

Cons: "Several minor glitches are inconvenient, but covered under warranty"

"I love my R-car. Room for all our kids"

Love it

By on Thursday, August 25, 2011

"I have owned this car for six years. I use it daily to bring 4 kids to school, drive around with clients and haul the dog to the park. The car looks like new and runs like new. So far I spent maybe 4,000 on repairs (e.g. breaks and other usual things). My next car will be a Mercedes R Class when I sell this one in maybe 5 years. I am not kidding."

Great car to start, but now a lemon!

By on Monday, August 15, 2011

Pros: "comfortable to drive on long trips and best heated seats ever!"

Cons: "repair bills, more repair bills, and another one tomorrow"

"I loved the car at first, and I knew it would need some adjustments because I bought it the first year it came out. I have replaced a cv joint, rear differential, and now the suspension may need a $1000 repair. It is comfortable and spacious, but the love affair is over."

By on Tuesday, July 12, 2011

"The interior design an quality is not top of the line, and it does have minor issues with operating some of the feature like the GPS (not easy to enter an address) or the seat memory (need to hold the button until it reaches it position every time). BUT, beyond these minor issues, this car drives so quietly, safely and comfortably that it impossible to believe this is an SUVA or minivan. I have had and driven few luxury cars like BMW, Lexus and Mercedes and this one is really rated with the top of the line. The ride and stability just make you feel you are driving the Mercedes S class. For sure much better than most or any of the other SUV's like Lexus Rx or, LX, Audio Q7, etc. Plenty of room for adult at the front and back and large rear doors for easy access to the 3rd row. This is the only SUV I found that really allow an adult to seat relatively comfortably in the 3rd row. So, if you can afford it and need a larger SUV and/or have kids, this the car for you."

Safety

By on Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Pros: "Safety, Comfort, Diesel Economy, All-wheel Drive"

Cons: "Big rear doors hard to open in tight spaces"

"This is an excellent vehicle. We love that 6 adults actually fit comfortably. The diesel engine is powerful and efficient; we get 30 mpg on road trips. I love knowing that my family is in such a safe vehicle. I would recommend an R-class to anyone looking for a comfortable SUV or wagon with all-wheel-drive."

Dissapointed Owner of an R320

By on Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"My wife drooled for this car. Every time she saw one she mentioned how much she’d love to someday own one. That day came in 2008. I surprised her with the R320 – white with tan leather interior – loaded. I cannot tell you how much I regret that purchase. The car would die for no apparent reason then suddenly (after being on the phone with MB’s helpline – which is no help at all) it would magically restart. The car will let you know when you have low air pressure. Do you think it will tell you which tire is low? A Chevy and Ford pickup will – but not this car. The headlights are designed to go out every six months. They must, because that’s how often mine go out. The “check engine” light (when illuminated actually means, “it’s time for you to go give MB another $1000) stayed on so much, we now ignore it. The brake ware indicator sensors are required to be replaced each time you change the brake pads. Why? Because they’re $100 per wheel, that’s why. This car holds its value as well as a no-armed man holds chopsticks. The only thing good I can say is that the car is very roomy – but then again, so is a dump truck (in which, riding blindfold you could not tell the difference). But at least it made my wife happy for three months. Yeah, that was worth sixty grand. NEVER again, MB!"

Great Engine, overall mediocre car

By on Sunday, April 03, 2011

"I agree with many of the earlier reviews...this is a great ride and a great engine...It is all the other stuff that will have me never buy another Mercedes again. I have had this 2006 8 cylinder R 500 for 2 years now. Bought it used with 46,000 miles on it. It now has 112,000 miles. I've had about $ 10,000 in repairs over these 2 years...main computer failure (needed total replacement with new) Thankfully covered by MB. Differential went just 2 months ago $ 6,000 when all was said and done. Headlights keep blowing out regularly, moon roof squeaks and rattles...VERY annoying while driving! no one has been able to fix that, GPS is cumbersome and not user-friendly. All in all this car is not worth the money although it is a GREAT ride..."

Best family car ever!

By on Thursday, March 10, 2011

"Comfort, luxury, flexibility. Take a bunch of kids to soccer, go skiing, go to the nursery, all in style and comfort!"

MB R350

By on Monday, March 07, 2011

"Best riding vehicle I have owned. Engineering is superb and quality supreme. Very little cabin noise and heavy ride. Averaging 22.4 mpg on highway and with plenty of power. Navigation system is nice and backup camera and parking sensors are the best."

By on Friday, March 04, 2011

By on Friday, January 28, 2011

By on Tuesday, January 25, 2011

By on Monday, January 24, 2011

Nice but expensive

By on Thursday, January 06, 2011

"Very nice and sporty for a large heavy family car. Very safe even at higher speeds. Good for kids. Gets bad gas milage avg. 13.5 it might get 20mpg at 65 on the highway. Its maintence is very high at the 90,000 mile service. Its a little out of my price range."

Just waiting to see what goes out next!

By on Wednesday, December 01, 2010

"This car has a good engine and runs well, but all the small stuff goes out and is EXPENSIVE to replace. Within 4 months of owning this vehicle, we have had to replace the alternator($1000), have a burned out headlight($90+ each and you can't replace them yourself) and problems with suspension. Granted, the car has over 70000 miles, but it's a Mercedes that we paid quite a bit of money for. We live in a rural area and it rides terrible on the rough roads and I seriously don't think it can hold up to it. It is a joke to call it an SUV/crossover because this car is built for paved roads and city streets. My previous minivan handled better on our dirt road. If you are a short person, you will notice that the car rides very low and it is difficult to see out of the windshield over the hood. If we can ever get out from under it, I will never own another Mercedes. Also, when the third seat it in use, there is almost no cargo room. This car has some good qualities but so do a lot of other vehicles that are cheaper to maintain."

By on Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Good car but service ripoff

By on Friday, September 24, 2010

"Excellent drive, tremendous power on the diesel. I have loved this car for its quiet comfort and fuel economy. The love affair ended when I had to pay for parts. The latch on the lift gate would not lock anymore. Cost me $560. The same week the radiator fan went out. Cost over $1000. This car is less than 3 years old. This is so ridiculous that I will never buy a Mercedes again. Ford makes a great car called the Flex. It's very similar to the R Class. I am surprised by the quality of Ford lately and will probably switch to Ford. Parts are most likely cheaper too."

Great Vehicle, Very stylish

By on Thursday, September 23, 2010

"Beautiful car with lots of luxury. I am always stopped and asked what it is. There are none like it here in Clarksville, TN. Lots pf space, especially with the third row down. Great on long trips. Sturdy car, a woman wasn't paying attention and ran into the side of my car. Suprisingly there was minimal damage, this car was built to last. Great buy, I would recommend to anyone (and I do!)"

Disappointing

By on Monday, September 13, 2010

"When I purchased this car it had 9,000 miles on it. When it is not in the shop, the performance and handling is superb! However, I've had many electrical issues with this car. I do not know if it was with the 2006 model only, but this car has been in the shop a total of 2 months for the 2 years I've owned it. One night the car completely shut down and went into limp mode. The car needed to be towed stranding us. The headlights quit working another time and the entire headlight system needed replaced ,which MB stated that it was my fault and I had to dispute that with the threat of an attorney to have my certified warranty cover it. The transmission would not shift on numerous occasions and the fan refused to shut off for a period of time. As a result, the fan and battery needed replaced. It is nearly impossible for someone other than MB to replace the battery on this vehicle b/c the battery is under the passenger seat and to my knowledge there is a tool that only MB dealers have to access it. Maybe the electrical issues have been resolved with the newer models, so take this review for only the 2006 R350. One final thought, MB headquarters becomes hard to deal with once you've had a certain amount of warranty work performed on your vehicle. They tend to start pointing the finger in your direction. The last time I threatened the warranty department with an attorney, they stated, "Our resources are far more than your resources." While I tend to agree with that statement, I thought that was out of line and expected more from a luxury class automoblie company. Do your research and choose wisely."

Big comfortable class

By on Friday, August 20, 2010

"What a car. I only have 27,000 trouble free miles on the car but I can say I absolutely love it. What first caught my attention was how quiet the ride was for such a big car. After turning on the stereo I was blown away. Shifting gears took a bit of adjustment but after a few weeks I figured it out. Driving down the highway is an absolute joy, I couldnt ask for more. The leather is supple and really high quality. I have owned Jags and Cadillac and there is no comparison. I loved the Jag (not the caddy) but even the jag fails in comparison. I will continue to buy mercedes."

MY FIRST BENZ

By on Friday, July 09, 2010

"THIS WAS MY FIRST BENZ AND THOUGH IVE HAD 2 BMW 7 SERIES I REALLY LIKE THE RIDE N COMFORT OF MY R 500. STYLE IS COOL SOMTHING LIKE A SPACESHIP ESPECIALLY WHEN I PUT THE TOP BACK N LOOK AT THE STARS. THE KIDS LOVE IT TOO. I SAY TO ANYONE TO DRIVE IT IS TO LOVE IT."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25
Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz R-Class near Honolulu. See local deals