• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class

7.6

Based on 176 Ratings for the 2006 - 2012 models.

Great vehicle

By on Friday, December 06, 2013

"One of the best of the MB's that I have owned since 1976. Lots of room and easy to reconfigure. Excellent mileage for a large vehicle. No issues since bought new in 2008."

Well, My Wife Loves It, So...

By on Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Pros: "Lots of room, high quality materials"

Cons: "Incredibly boring to drive, if you're into that."

"My wife has loved it since we got it. It is a hulking behemoth that moves down the road fine enough, but I think it's exceptionally boring to drive. An Odyssey or Sienna would drive like a F1 car in comparison (and with more utility and better mileage to boot). The resale on these cars is poor, which makes them an excellent value for used car buyers. Pick up a CDI or Bluetec if you can find one. Please don't try to make this car sporty; whenever I see this car with aftermarket suspension or wheels, I cringe. Our car has a lot of miles, but it's still tight and drives like it did when it was new. The materials are top notch, and still look great. It's difficult to find any aging on this car. I replaced the rear airshocks with Arnotts myself ($235), it took less than two hours for both sides. We've had no other maintenance issues. The Harmon Kardon sound is very good, the massive sunroof is nice, braking, acceleration, and handling are decent for it's size, though it's strange that my father's GL wagon (same year) is bigger and heavier, yet handles 100% better. I think we'll keep this thing for another five years, it wouldn't shock me if we went longer."

Spacious, extremely comfortable cruiser.

By on Monday, October 07, 2013

Pros: "Big, comfortable and very safe."

Cons: "Maintenence probably higher than average."

"German engineering at its best. Very easy getting in and out for older people and kids too. Loads of room and can carry seven in comfort and safety. Handles very well for big vehicle, and mileage is respectable - have gotten 27 mpg on long trips. Retractable moon roof is really great, particularly when showing visitors New York City. Maintenance is not cheap, but its a Benz and any car costs to keep in proper condition. Too bad Daimler AG discontinued the R Klasse in USA. New shooting brake is replacement, but only in Germany and expensive. Find a used "R" and buy it for keeps."

Better on the Inside

By on Friday, September 06, 2013

Pros: "Great Used Price, Great Drive, Great Interior,"

Cons: "Lacks storage space with all seats in use"

"The Mercedes R350 isn't the best looking Mercedes of the bunch but it is a dream to own. The interior is so much better than you can imagine. The second row of captains chairs are as comfortable if not more than the front seats. The dual moon roof is awesome and provides extra light to the interior that make this feel even bigger inside. The third row chairs can actually have adults comfortably sit in. The Air suspension is good and bad. Bad because I had to pay to repair it but good because the ride is so smooth, especially for a long road trip. Ours is loaded with the DVD headrests which provide great entertainment for the kids. With all seats in use the storage is definitely lacking. I had to purchase a Thule Roof box for those family trips to help provide enough room for all of our stuff. Overall, I couldn't be happier with this purchase, it has been a great car. I added an extended warranty because I purchased it used and so now I am covered for those costly repairs up to 100,000 miles."

would recommend, especially if someone needs space

By on Saturday, July 27, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, even for an old person"

Cons: "navigationsystem toggles a little frustrating"

"looking to replace with same, has room , drives like a sports car in the sport mode, handles curves with ease, good gas mileage"

best vehicle ever!

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive especially for the wife"

Cons: "there are none"

"very good touring car and we get 30+ hwy and mid 20's in town and has high capacity seating with seven seat belts and we use a 17 cu ft luggage carrier if needed"

Very,very nice

By on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pros: "It has the characteristics of most cars in one!"

Cons: "City gas mileage is poor"

"I've been living with my r350 for about 8 months now. I only had the one problem so far. The suspension airbag went bad NAND out around $400 to replace. Other than that the car is fantastic, it rides smooth , the ride feels like your in a luxury car and feels smaller than it actually is. This is my first mercedes benz, now I see why it's the king of high end luxury. BMW , Lexus , caddillac ,fall short in refinement."

a great car

By on Monday, March 25, 2013

Pros: "a perfectly sized vehicle"

Cons: "engine light comes on too often"

"i love this car and am very disappointed that mercedes has chosen to stop selling them in the usa . stopped in 2012 . the diesel gets 28 + mpg when driven at the speed limit on the highway . it is very comfortable and the seating in the third row is very good for an adult and better than most full size SUVs . it sits lower than a SUV and handles more like a quality car than a minivan or SUV . the only problem i have had is that the engine light comes on too often , but never for anything significant . usually just a sensor failure of some kind , which was usually covered by mercedes benz . i know of no vehicle that compares to the R class , and i believe the only reason this is no longer sold in the usa is poor sales which were due to an anemic marketing program by MB . i can't find a used Rclass to buy with lower mileage because no one wants to sell theirs .."

Best auto that's no longer built

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "Easy to drive"

Cons: "space between seats in cargo configuration"

"Compared 3 SUVs when selecting this car in 06: Land Rover, Qx56 and R500. The only one that drove like a sedan was the RClass. That's why I bought it. It's a great car and I dont understand why it isn't more popular with SUV owners. It has as much or more cargo volume than the other two, and it is very comfortable. MB service is very good."

Nice style and layout of interior. Many problems.

By on Saturday, February 02, 2013

"Many electrical and mechanical problems."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz R-Class near Honolulu. See local deals