2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class

7.6

Based on 181 Ratings for the 2006 - 2012 models.

Fabulous vehicle but be forewarned about repairs

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "driving experience, passenger amenities"

Cons: "reliabilty"

"This is the third MB and the second R. The first R was a 2006 and I traded it in on a new Volvo XC70 as soon as the warranty on the R was up. Usual first model year glitches on the 2006 R and just not worth the annoyance and expense. I soon realized how different the R is from other crossovers. I kept the Volvo XC70 for approximately 6 months then switched to a 2010 R. The level of refinement, driving agility, and passenger comfort are the best features of this vehicle. That having been said my wife has a seven year old E class that has only been to the service center once for anything other then normal maintenance. The R on the other hand is in about every two months. I did purchase the extended warranty which will pay for itself based on past experience. Ultimately, I think buyers are fooling themselves if they expect the repair bills for a $60K car to be comparable to a $30K (insert other American/Japanese brand here) but they will find a higher level of reliability in the other brand. They only produce around 3K R's in Alabama each year and I firmly believe that is the difference between the R and the E. One is built in Alabama and the other is still built in Stuttgart Germany. My next car will be another R but I go in with my eyes open regarding the cost of ownership."

a great car

By on Monday, March 25, 2013

Pros: "a perfectly sized vehicle"

Cons: "engine light comes on too often"

"i love this car and am very disappointed that mercedes has chosen to stop selling them in the usa . stopped in 2012 . the diesel gets 28 + mpg when driven at the speed limit on the highway . it is very comfortable and the seating in the third row is very good for an adult and better than most full size SUVs . it sits lower than a SUV and handles more like a quality car than a minivan or SUV . the only problem i have had is that the engine light comes on too often , but never for anything significant . usually just a sensor failure of some kind , which was usually covered by mercedes benz . i know of no vehicle that compares to the R class , and i believe the only reason this is no longer sold in the usa is poor sales which were due to an anemic marketing program by MB . i can't find a used Rclass to buy with lower mileage because no one wants to sell theirs .."

Comfort, luxury, safety, roomy, & its a Benz.

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Pros: "Big & comfy, yet sporty & safe handling."

Cons: "Maintenance can be expensive."

"Second owner. Love the styling, handling, and especially the roominess. 6 can sit in comfort on a long trip, and the all- glass roof doesn't cause claustrophobia. I can get 28MPG on cruise - not bad for a deuce and 1/2 weight wise. The Sirius radio and Harmon Cardon stereo system is better than most people have in their homes."

Safety

By on Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Pros: "Safety, Comfort, Diesel Economy, All-wheel Drive"

Cons: "Big rear doors hard to open in tight spaces"

"This is an excellent vehicle. We love that 6 adults actually fit comfortably. The diesel engine is powerful and efficient; we get 30 mpg on road trips. I love knowing that my family is in such a safe vehicle. I would recommend an R-class to anyone looking for a comfortable SUV or wagon with all-wheel-drive."

Excellent

By on Wednesday, June 02, 2010

"Great handling and huge storage. After 65,000 not one problem."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz R-Class near Honolulu. See local deals