2007 Mercedes-Benz R-Class

7.6

Based on 182 Ratings for the 2006 - 2012 models.

Comfort and Quality

By on Tuesday, December 16, 2008

"I have had this car for 3 months and it is the most comfortable car in its class. The quality is excellent as well. The best features are the Panorama roof, rear camera and the parking sensors. The only downside is the gas mileage could be better than the 17mpg that I have been getting between 50/50 city/highway. Also do not expect great power from the 6 cylinder gas engine as this is an extremely heavy vehicle. The many positives outweigh the few negatives on this vehicle and it was great deal, $13,000 off the sticker price on my 2008 R350 4wd with the premium 2 package."

07 R350

By on Thursday, October 16, 2008

"Very good value is you buy it preowned. Positives: Front seats are S-Class quality, Harman Kardon stereo is outstanding, 24mpg highway, panorama roof unbelievable, doesn't drive like a van/SUV Negatives: Does not have the solid feel of MB, rattle around left door (drove 5 different ones and all have same issue), get the Xenons as standard lights are poor, slow acceleration, engine little noisier than I would expect in a MB, horrible navigation (fixed with the hard drive based 09 model)"

R320 cdi

By on Saturday, September 27, 2008

"A huge disappointment in quality. The car was in the shop for 42 days in the first 11 months. Cimate control varies widely on long trips with no known fix. Transmission is far from smooth when downshifting. It's very comfortable for a family trip but that's all I can say positive"

Wonderful Crossover

By on Sunday, August 31, 2008

"I purchased the 2006 MB R500 preowned with 14K miles... I purchased it at a great price but if I knew I would enjoy this vehicle like this I would gladly pay more... Hands down the best crossover I owned..."

Broken too many times

By on Wednesday, August 06, 2008

"This car is 1 yr 3 months old and has spent 2 weeks of this summer in the shop while on trips. Airmatic system went out while driving 600 miles. Worried the whole way. Check engine and no brakes lit up next- a week to get it fixed. Love the car but not the maintenance even thought its covered now."

Large & comfortable, but disappointing..

By on Wednesday, July 16, 2008

"I bought into the Mercedes concept of the R350 as a "Grand Sport Tourer" , but have been disappointed in so many ways. Although the car is roomy and comfortable for long journeys, it lacks versatility and there are indications that M-B compromised on practicality to achieve a unqiue design style. Visibility is very poor, overall handling is mediocre and the heating and ventilation system is badly configured (for instance, you can only direct warm air to the front screen at full blast!).. This was our first M-B and it may well be our last (back to Audi and Lexus). I have obvious reservations about the car, but my wife, who drives it most of the time, really dislikes it and can't wait for the lease to expire."

My first r350 4matic, regret, regret.

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2008

"We bought this car exactly a month ago, 5/2008 and by far the most unreliable car we"ve owned. We thought MB was the most realiable car, we thought wrong. We couldn't start the car on three different occassions and two trips to the dealership in a month. The car is with the dealer as I review right now. My son missed school twice already since I have to drop him everyday. I hope they find out what is wrong with this car."

Many times at shop

By on Wednesday, June 04, 2008

"On the relaiability and quality side this car had the timing belt change, the rear suspension repaired twice, one of them replacing the whole system, the rear lights are shorted. On the performance side the car chokes when accelerating from slow speed to passing speed. Dealership service is terrible to be MB"

Great car for family

By on Friday, May 23, 2008

"Great car ....excellent ride quality....very reliable......average gas milage but all else is exceptional........owner of new.r350"

head-turner

By on Thursday, December 20, 2007

"great looking vehicle. i have the 19 inch rims and tires. the tires burn out within 20,000 miles. very costly tires. overall i love the car and i might add the NAV and roof rack. handles great on the interstate and carries my three kids well on long trips. current incentives might make me opt for a 2008."

Worth the money

By on Wednesday, October 31, 2007

"Great car/suv. The only thing it needs is a little more power. It's big and heavy. Other then that it's a great vehicle."

Great Benz

By on Friday, October 05, 2007

"Traded in my C-class for the R-class. Best vehicle decision I've ever made. Needs a little more power and a little quieter drivetrain, but it is a great car."

Luxury & Comfort Combined

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"This vehicle is one of the best vehicle I ever have. The ride is amazing, quiet and comfortable. The sound system is top notch (it's like inside an opera house). Surprisingly, the fuel economy is better than expected (I got 21 MPG City) and I drove it daily. No problem whatsoever, which is surprising for a first year car. Bravo Mercedes (and thank God you are no longer associated with Chrysler)"

Great layout, but many, many problems. ($$$)

By on Thursday, February 27, 2014

Pros: "Ride, amenities, cargo space, interior"

Cons: "Poor quality, expensive to repair, unreliable"

"This is a great layout for a family car. It rides like a dream, and with all of the seats folded down, there's little that can't be carried in it. If I could keep the build, and replace everything mechanical about it, I would. At only 65K on a babied, well-maintained car, I have had to replace both rear air struts within 6 months of each other (approx $700 each). Also, the manifold is currently being replaced due to a bad flap ($1600 total repair). The tailgate back sensor has never worked properly, nor have the parking sensors (they go off randomly when driving down the road). I am now being told that the thermostat and cam sensors need to be replaced as well. Even with the car paid off, the repairs are no longer worth keeping the vehicle, which is a real shame. I love the R-Class body, and it is amazing in so many other ways. But it is the most unreliable car I have ever owned."

Good car but service ripoff

By on Friday, September 24, 2010

"Excellent drive, tremendous power on the diesel. I have loved this car for its quiet comfort and fuel economy. The love affair ended when I had to pay for parts. The latch on the lift gate would not lock anymore. Cost me $560. The same week the radiator fan went out. Cost over $1000. This car is less than 3 years old. This is so ridiculous that I will never buy a Mercedes again. Ford makes a great car called the Flex. It's very similar to the R Class. I am surprised by the quality of Ford lately and will probably switch to Ford. Parts are most likely cheaper too."

Best Family Car Ever

By on Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Pros: "Fun, Opulent, Safe"

Cons: "Doesn't fit most parking spaces or garages"

"We needed an all-wheel drive car capable of holding two infants, a double stroller, luggage and 7 passengers. The R was bigger than the E-Wagon or ML, less likely to rollover than any SUV, as large as a GL, all wheel drive, and gargantuanly beautiful. Initially, I was ready to hate it. I read all the reviews about how cheap it looked inside, under powered its V6 gas engine was, and doughy its steering was. Complete baloney! For 55k-65k it has no competitors, none. Inside, contrast stitched elephant skin textured leather adorns the doors all the way up to the dash. At that juncture, smokey polished wood panels take over and caress all surfaces all the way down to the center console compartments, which are also carved out of wood. The vents and cup holders punctuate this with steely chrome. All you need to complete the Hemingway mystique of all this are some Cuban cigars, a bottle of whiskey (it has a bottle opener built into the center console), and a WWI revolver. At his point, I have to say I can't believe we ever considered an Odyssey Touring Elite, which was sea of wobbly plastic, cheap leather, and malfunctioning gizmos. When we test drove them the power tail gate failed in one, the 16" HD screen failed in another, and the engine stalled in the last. Then there were the myriad federal airbag, seatbelt, and sliding door complaints the Odyssey had. You get what you pay for though, for 20k more, the R has zero federal complaints. Not a one. Then, there's the R's ride, which is like lounging in a first-class Euro-Rail cabin. You hear road bumps, but they are distant and soothing thanks to the longest wheel base offered in any Mercedes. Potholes produce a relaxing, cushioned crackle, like biting into a Snickers bar, a good bass sound but won't rattle you. You can change this serenity with the touch of a button. Paddle shift down and the engine screams and launches 5,000lbs of German steel like an angry bison. But even at high speed, it brakes crushingly, shifts like it's on tracks, and you're always in control. There's no tipsyness like in an SUV and no fishtailing like in most other wagons. Finally, this car is safe. It weighs about as much as some full size pickup trucks but puts all that weight into crumple zones and a unibody construction rather than the chassis. Even the doors feel safe as they're as large as a sail on a boat and half a foot thick. You're basically in a vault when you're in this thing."

Disappointing

By on Monday, September 13, 2010

"When I purchased this car it had 9,000 miles on it. When it is not in the shop, the performance and handling is superb! However, I've had many electrical issues with this car. I do not know if it was with the 2006 model only, but this car has been in the shop a total of 2 months for the 2 years I've owned it. One night the car completely shut down and went into limp mode. The car needed to be towed stranding us. The headlights quit working another time and the entire headlight system needed replaced ,which MB stated that it was my fault and I had to dispute that with the threat of an attorney to have my certified warranty cover it. The transmission would not shift on numerous occasions and the fan refused to shut off for a period of time. As a result, the fan and battery needed replaced. It is nearly impossible for someone other than MB to replace the battery on this vehicle b/c the battery is under the passenger seat and to my knowledge there is a tool that only MB dealers have to access it. Maybe the electrical issues have been resolved with the newer models, so take this review for only the 2006 R350. One final thought, MB headquarters becomes hard to deal with once you've had a certain amount of warranty work performed on your vehicle. They tend to start pointing the finger in your direction. The last time I threatened the warranty department with an attorney, they stated, "Our resources are far more than your resources." While I tend to agree with that statement, I thought that was out of line and expected more from a luxury class automoblie company. Do your research and choose wisely."

Good car if...........

By on Sunday, November 23, 2014

Pros: "It's ready for whatever your life style is"

Cons: "Repair cost, v6 is a little under powerd"

"I've owned my R350 for 3 years now, and it has been a eye opening experience. I have never cared for or been a fan of German luxury but I can see where mercedes was going with this car ...it works for me......it fits my life style. It's a luxury car when you go out, it's a truck when you have to haul stuff from Home Depot , it's a snow mobile in the worst snow storm. It's a great vehicle to own but! ......you will have to be a little mechanically inclined. The first time the check engine light came on , the cost of the total repairs came out to $11,000. So I soon became a owner of a hand held obd scanner to read out the "check engine light" codes and look up how to fix it it myself and saved a lot of money doing it myself. Now the R350 is a lot easier to own. Unless your financially set to pay a mercedes Benz specialist every time that dreaded "check engine light comes on.....you better get familiar with the car. Ok, but overall I looked at plenty of cars and trucks and I still think that the R350 is the best car for me. Style ,function, and drivability nothing can beat it."

Would be VERY hard to find a more comfortable ride

By on Saturday, December 17, 2011

Pros: "Stylish if you like it. Top notch comfort."

Cons: "expensive if it breaks"

"The Mercedes R350 styling is not for everyone but the handling aspect of this large wagon crossover is surprisingly good. Decent turning radius (although not like an ML), good braking and an extremely smooth ride. Gas mileage is another surprise @ 17 city and 23 highway as long as your under 75 mph. To do that you'll have to use cruise. You can carry lots of "stuff" and the air suspension in the rear will make up for it or you can carry six adults in the three rows of captains buckets in comfort. Good power from the 3.5 liter six w/ the seven speed trans which will learn your driving style. Expensive to fix at the dealership, find a good experienced local shop. Don't be intimidated by the brand, it's a vehicle with lots of value."

Well, My Wife Loves It, So...

By on Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Pros: "Lots of room, high quality materials"

Cons: "Incredibly boring to drive, if you're into that."

"My wife has loved it since we got it. It is a hulking behemoth that moves down the road fine enough, but I think it's exceptionally boring to drive. An Odyssey or Sienna would drive like a F1 car in comparison (and with more utility and better mileage to boot). The resale on these cars is poor, which makes them an excellent value for used car buyers. Pick up a CDI or Bluetec if you can find one. Please don't try to make this car sporty; whenever I see this car with aftermarket suspension or wheels, I cringe. Our car has a lot of miles, but it's still tight and drives like it did when it was new. The materials are top notch, and still look great. It's difficult to find any aging on this car. I replaced the rear airshocks with Arnotts myself ($235), it took less than two hours for both sides. We've had no other maintenance issues. The Harmon Kardon sound is very good, the massive sunroof is nice, braking, acceleration, and handling are decent for it's size, though it's strange that my father's GL wagon (same year) is bigger and heavier, yet handles 100% better. I think we'll keep this thing for another five years, it wouldn't shock me if we went longer."

Very pleasant family tourer

By on Thursday, August 27, 2009

"I've had my R350 for a year now and it is time to review it. I have a black on black with the pano roof and fully loaded with all the goodies, so it's a pretty good representation. I have a history of driving more exotic and unusual cars, often sports cars, but I purchased this because I have 2 daughters, my wife travels frequently, and so I needed something practical. I was unwilling, however, to give up the exclusivity, so this car came to the top of my list. It is very attractively styled, and I'm amazed at how many questions and compliments I get on it considering its classfication as a family hauler. The interior is also gorgeous, all the controls are in the right places, everything works how it is supposed to except for the clunky navigation system. The interface on it is poorly designed, and it is difficult to use. The airmatic suspension is neat, but I don't notice much of a difference on the different settings. Sport does, I suppose, improve the handling by reducing lean. It does not handle like you would expect to look at it, rather it drives more like a much smaller car, an excellent thing considering that it is actually larger than an escalade. The fittings are nice, but not quite what they used to be in mercedes benzes. It is nicely done, and the plastics you can see are nice, but they're still plastics. The paint also scratches very easily. I've had a number of electrical glitches that required warranty correction (my window lift, etc), as well as some trim items from the interior. Not too many, and nothing critical, but enough to be slightly annoying. While the car feels smaller and handles fairly well, the 350 engine is underpowered. It really groans during hard acceleration, and the fuel economy is dismal. The comfort of the interior is the best in the business and the best I've ever seen. The second row of seats have as much foot and head room as the front row, both of which are on nice, supportive, tall leather seats. The third row is like the rear seat in a small sedan... slightly cramped, but still certainly useable. With the seats laid down, the storage capacity is exceptional. I am very pleased with the R350. It is gorgeous to look at, super comfortable, and drives very nicely on the highway. I don't think you can get anything that brings all of this together in such a useful package at any price, not even in the first class sedans of the big german makers. (the interior of the S class, by comparison, pales in comfort compared to the R). My car before this one was a Jaguar convertible, I had a ferrari before that, then 2 porsches before that, so this is a very different car from what I was used to. The nice thing is that it makes the transition into responsible parent friendly vehicles somewhat palatable. -although it doesn't mean that I'm not looking to fill that extra garage space with something wilder."

Love the R

By on Monday, November 17, 2008

"We are on our Second R-Class. We Lease the First and loved it so much We Leased another. It Is such a Family Friendly Vehicle."

Great car to start, but now a lemon!

By on Monday, August 15, 2011

Pros: "comfortable to drive on long trips and best heated seats ever!"

Cons: "repair bills, more repair bills, and another one tomorrow"

"I loved the car at first, and I knew it would need some adjustments because I bought it the first year it came out. I have replaced a cv joint, rear differential, and now the suspension may need a $1000 repair. It is comfortable and spacious, but the love affair is over."

Would think twice

By on Sunday, September 25, 2011

Pros: "ultra view roof, comfortable seating, ease of getting in and out of back"

Cons: "cost of ownership, gas mileage"

"I have had this car for about a year and a half. I purchased an extended 5-year warranty. The car really gets not-so-great gas mileage. The seating is very comfortable, although I miss the extra 1-2 seats from previous and competitor models. The paddle switches on this model is on the steering wheel and I find myself hitting them in error and knocking the gears down while driving (very scary). The newer models have remedied this by placing the paddle shift in a more overt spot. I do love the gear shift though. I agree whole-heartedly with the other review that Mercedes idea of customer service is you pay and we'll fix. The cost of ownership is the main reason why I'm now looking to trade in my long-awaiting "ideal" car. This car has been in the shop numerous times from the get-go, and now is needing a $650 service to keep it going and full covered by the very expensive warranty I've bought extra. Would consider Cadillac, GMC, Toyota before I'd pay for German engineering and cost!"

Love it

By on Thursday, August 25, 2011

"I have owned this car for six years. I use it daily to bring 4 kids to school, drive around with clients and haul the dog to the park. The car looks like new and runs like new. So far I spent maybe 4,000 on repairs (e.g. breaks and other usual things). My next car will be a Mercedes R Class when I sell this one in maybe 5 years. I am not kidding."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz R-Class near Honolulu. See local deals