• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2007 Mercedes-Benz R-Class

7.6

Based on 174 Ratings for the 2006 - 2012 models.

Best Family Car Ever

By on Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Pros: "Fun, Opulent, Safe"

Cons: "Doesn't fit most parking spaces or garages"

"We needed an all-wheel drive car capable of holding two infants, a double stroller, luggage and 7 passengers. The R was bigger than the E-Wagon or ML, less likely to rollover than any SUV, as large as a GL, all wheel drive, and gargantuanly beautiful. Initially, I was ready to hate it. I read all the reviews about how cheap it looked inside, under powered its V6 gas engine was, and doughy its steering was. Complete baloney! For 55k-65k it has no competitors, none. Inside, contrast stitched elephant skin textured leather adorns the doors all the way up to the dash. At that juncture, smokey polished wood panels take over and caress all surfaces all the way down to the center console compartments, which are also carved out of wood. The vents and cup holders punctuate this with steely chrome. All you need to complete the Hemingway mystique of all this are some Cuban cigars, a bottle of whiskey (it has a bottle opener built into the center console), and a WWI revolver. At his point, I have to say I can't believe we ever considered an Odyssey Touring Elite, which was sea of wobbly plastic, cheap leather, and malfunctioning gizmos. When we test drove them the power tail gate failed in one, the 16" HD screen failed in another, and the engine stalled in the last. Then there were the myriad federal airbag, seatbelt, and sliding door complaints the Odyssey had. You get what you pay for though, for 20k more, the R has zero federal complaints. Not a one. Then, there's the R's ride, which is like lounging in a first-class Euro-Rail cabin. You hear road bumps, but they are distant and soothing thanks to the longest wheel base offered in any Mercedes. Potholes produce a relaxing, cushioned crackle, like biting into a Snickers bar, a good bass sound but won't rattle you. You can change this serenity with the touch of a button. Paddle shift down and the engine screams and launches 5,000lbs of German steel like an angry bison. But even at high speed, it brakes crushingly, shifts like it's on tracks, and you're always in control. There's no tipsyness like in an SUV and no fishtailing like in most other wagons. Finally, this car is safe. It weighs about as much as some full size pickup trucks but puts all that weight into crumple zones and a unibody construction rather than the chassis. Even the doors feel safe as they're as large as a sail on a boat and half a foot thick. You're basically in a vault when you're in this thing."

Best vehicle I have owned

By on Sunday, July 01, 2012

Pros: "handling"

Cons: "Gas"

"I know people out there bash the Mercedes R Class calling it ugly and a mini van but they are dead wrong. I love the power and style of my R 500 I have not had one single problem with the transmission or any major components. Despite its size it drives like a sports car and has everything you would get in a sports car. I love it and if I could buy two more I would"

Very functional vehicle.

By on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Pros: "Good value, great comfort, easy putting back seats"

Cons: "Have had a lot of quirky techniccal problems with"

"Really like the car. Great for taking the family around and carting around baseball equipment. Excellent on long trips."

Great family vehicle and very comfortable on trips

By on Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pros: "comfort, room, quiet, sporty"

Cons: "gas mileage, service costs, premium gas"

"Purchased car in 2007 and have had only a few minor issues and no major ones. We have the R500 which is no longer available. Good power in the R500. At the advice of friends, I did purchase an extended warranty. This car is so comfortable on the highway. Living in Houston, I make several trips each year to Austin and Dallas. This car loves the interstate and is so smooth and comfortable on long hauls. Great around town car as well but it really shines on the interstate!"

Fabulous vehicle but be forewarned about repairs

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "driving experience, passenger amenities"

Cons: "reliabilty"

"This is the third MB and the second R. The first R was a 2006 and I traded it in on a new Volvo XC70 as soon as the warranty on the R was up. Usual first model year glitches on the 2006 R and just not worth the annoyance and expense. I soon realized how different the R is from other crossovers. I kept the Volvo XC70 for approximately 6 months then switched to a 2010 R. The level of refinement, driving agility, and passenger comfort are the best features of this vehicle. That having been said my wife has a seven year old E class that has only been to the service center once for anything other then normal maintenance. The R on the other hand is in about every two months. I did purchase the extended warranty which will pay for itself based on past experience. Ultimately, I think buyers are fooling themselves if they expect the repair bills for a $60K car to be comparable to a $30K (insert other American/Japanese brand here) but they will find a higher level of reliability in the other brand. They only produce around 3K R's in Alabama each year and I firmly believe that is the difference between the R and the E. One is built in Alabama and the other is still built in Stuttgart Germany. My next car will be another R but I go in with my eyes open regarding the cost of ownership."

safe / comfortable drives itself .....

By on Monday, March 26, 2012

"we traveled many miles with 7 people in this car. great for long trips.."

some repairs are very expensive

By on Sunday, March 25, 2012

Pros: "very fun to drive love the interior"

Cons: "rear doors are very long"

"loved the interior but it was more of a wagon than a crossover"

Wonderful first feeling when driving

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Cons: "gas mileage"

"My only complaint is how strong the V* engine is. I recently dorve a V* caddy for two months and spent 3/4 of the gas. For that reason I am having a hard time trading it in. Other than that once I got back inot my beautiful car It was wonderful compared to the caddy. A snooth ride even with 108k miles I guess I'll just keep paying the gas and keep it for ever"

buyer beware...numerous manufacturer defects ..

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Reason: unusally high repairs, problems with transmission slipping, and other MAJOR repairs

Pros: "comfort, handling, performance"

Cons: "transmission sticks in first gear, cost of repairs"

"strongly suggest you do a full internet search on this MB, although..extremely comfortable, high repairbills, and a severe manufactuer defect in the transmission that could possibly cost $$$$THOUSANDS to repair. Is comfort worth the hugh cost of owning this car..."

Great Vehicle

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "Comfort, love to drive it"

Cons: "Expensive"

"I'm very impressed with my MB R350. It has been reliable< good gas mileage, and comfortable for all 6 people."

Love It!

By on Monday, February 13, 2012

Pros: "stylish"

Cons: "not great gas milage"

"Love the car. Drives quitely"

Best car ever. Plush.

By on Saturday, February 04, 2012

Pros: "excellent highway driver, stable, good all weather"

Cons: "very heavy, eats tires."

"Able to seat 7 adults comfortably for long trip. Able to turn into a wagon when all rear seats flipped down. Enormous room inside. Diesel gets good mileage. Tons of torque. Expensive oil change unless you do it yourself - uses 10 quarts 0W-40 synthetic. Stylish body. Very comfortable inside. Great heated seats. Nav system is a joke - totally worthless- get a Garmin instead. Rarely see another on the road. Rather a unique car. Don't believe that these cars are manufactured anymore."

Best quality vehicle we've ever owned.

By on Friday, February 03, 2012

"My wife is totally enamored with the R Class CDI, due to its superb handling and passenger/cargo capacity. We also have a 17 cu. ft. luggage carrier, which is easily stored and installed for the long hauls."

No Leather

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

Pros: "diesel! 7 passenger, 4 wheel drive, 29 MPG"

Cons: "no leather, big back doors"

"AWESOME CAR, and amazing for roadtrips with the fam. MBTEX only no option for real leather..."

Love/Hate Relationship

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pros: "Great passenger room, Smooth drive"

Cons: "Seems to require service a lot"

"I have had this car for a year and a half now. First car post minivan. The drive is smooth and the passenger room is great for my tall family. Even though I have a warranty,I feel it has been in the shop too many times since I bought it. Check engine light came on again. I just expected better quality. Getting a little buyers remorse and thinking I should have stayed with a minivan."

Extremely practical car!!

By on Monday, January 16, 2012

Pros: "practical large car yet sporty and fun"

Cons: "a bit underpowered. back seat not adult friendly."

"This car/SUV is so practical! With the folding seats, I have as much cargo space as a suburban, but it looks and feels much more like a sports car. The middle row seats are extremely comfortable. Back seat, however, is really only comfortable for kids. Car drives extremely well...much more like a large car than an SUV. I do think the diesel would be even more practical, but they seem to be very rare. Overall, I highly recommend the R if you want the space but not a clunky "trucklike" suv."

Good grocery grabber.

By on Sunday, January 08, 2012

Pros: "comfortable, reliable, great mobile phone system,"

Cons: "no heated steering wheel, flimsy cup holder in 2nd"

"I bought this 2 years ago, trading in my Range Rover for the R350. I needed something that would haul at least 4 kids home in the back seat. This was the most comfortable car I could find. This is not our first Mercedes, and this Mercedes like our last has quirks, that cannot be reproduced by the technicians at the dealership. Many electronic abnormalities. My biggest complaint about this car is the whistle that is made when all of the windows are rolled down. It is loud and annoying. It is the wind blowing through the seatbelt assembly. It is a design flaw, that cannot be fixed until they redesign the whole car. #sosad."

great car, just dont like the instrument panel.

By on Wednesday, January 04, 2012

"great car, dont like the instrucment cluster"

Would be VERY hard to find a more comfortable ride

By on Saturday, December 17, 2011

Pros: "Stylish if you like it. Top notch comfort."

Cons: "expensive if it breaks"

"The Mercedes R350 styling is not for everyone but the handling aspect of this large wagon crossover is surprisingly good. Decent turning radius (although not like an ML), good braking and an extremely smooth ride. Gas mileage is another surprise @ 17 city and 23 highway as long as your under 75 mph. To do that you'll have to use cruise. You can carry lots of "stuff" and the air suspension in the rear will make up for it or you can carry six adults in the three rows of captains buckets in comfort. Good power from the 3.5 liter six w/ the seven speed trans which will learn your driving style. Expensive to fix at the dealership, find a good experienced local shop. Don't be intimidated by the brand, it's a vehicle with lots of value."

Perfect vehicle for family of six

By on Monday, November 28, 2011

"We have owned this vehicle for six years. It has performed perfectly for our family. We drove on several long trips with four and six occupants and never had any problems. The rear seating is as comfortable as the driving seats. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone."

Great car!

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

"Comfortable, dependable and fun to drive!"

Love it!

By on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pros: "Spacious, great handling, reliable"

Cons: "No memory seats, could have xenon headlights"

"'Excellent family and daily driving car."

Smoothest car I have ever owned

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "buy used great price . like your in a airplane"

Cons: "sucks up the gas"

"I have a 2006 R 500 loaded. The gas is terrible but everything else is great. Smooth If I do not put the cruise on I could be going 90 mph and would not realize it. My son is 4 and the surround sound dvd player is a life saver. Navigation system gets me where I am going. I have not put a lot of money into the car at all. You get what you pay for with this car."

Best vehicle ever owned

By on Saturday, November 05, 2011

"Highly recommended. Very reliable car."

I'm buying #2

By on Sunday, October 30, 2011

Pros: "Drives good, comfy seats, good price for luxury ve"

Cons: "Small cargo space when all 3 rows are used."

"Worth the money. Comfortably seats a family of 6. Kept the family safe during a major accident. I'm buying #2!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz R-Class near Honolulu. See local deals