• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class

7.6

Based on 172 Ratings for the 2006 - 2012 models.

Nice car, if you get one that doesn't break down

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Pros: "convenient"

Cons: "infeirior: engine, transmission, AC, tire wear"

"I love the convenient design of this car. I have children and this car can haul a LOT (not to mention the third row of seats!). It's pretty good looking and very comfortable to use. HOWEVER!!!!!! I now strongly believe in "planned obsolescence"!!! We've owned 5 German cars so far. I am yet to see a German car that doesn't start breaking down literally the month the warranty expires! Each and every Mercedes and BMW we had, had the same issue - "check engine" is always there - for different reasons, but ALWAYS!!! Air conditioning is literally designed to work for exactly 4 years and 1 month! So is transmission! So is are any wires or pumps that are in the car! All fail within one year from warranty expiration. So if you are thinking of BUYING, please consider leasing. They are great cars, as long as you don't own them!!! I've also owned some Japanese cars, and those babies last a LOOOOOOONG time!!!!"

Today I test drive it

By on Sunday, July 29, 2012

I don't own this car

Pros: "Comfortable,safe,extras"

Cons: "worst maintenace, a lot of trouble,major problems."

"I tested one of 2006 r350 60K miles. I went the MB dealer and try to trade it with my 2005 Honda Pilot EX-L RES 95K.We need 3rd row seat. Thanks god we can't trade it, you know why. They priced R350 at $20.000, After the trade they want $16.000 my car worth is $11.000 Deal or steal?(smart dealers). After that I researched reliability of R350. The car is great, but it looks like. I read about all reviews here. This car have major problems. Mostly A/C. electrical, fail dashboard and oil leaks. It is MB. it is expensive. maintenance also expensive. but it is MB. I can understand maintenance can be expensive then other Japan cars. But if you want to go service every month buy it. I think it is most worst car of MB. I am going to get another Honda Pilot."

Comfort, safety, style and tons of room

By on Sunday, July 08, 2012

Pros: "Comfort, style and lots of room."

Cons: "Costs more to run."

"They call it a cross over, but its a SUV with lots of style and comfort that handles very well for its size. Six or seven adults can comfortably be accommodated for 100 mile trips. The sliding glass roof is great for sight seeing in NYC. The full time 4-wheel drive is peace-of-mind in the winter and rain. Maintenance is high, but its a Benz. The best is never cheap."

Best Family Car Ever

By on Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Pros: "Fun, Opulent, Safe"

Cons: "Doesn't fit most parking spaces or garages"

"We needed an all-wheel drive car capable of holding two infants, a double stroller, luggage and 7 passengers. The R was bigger than the E-Wagon or ML, less likely to rollover than any SUV, as large as a GL, all wheel drive, and gargantuanly beautiful. Initially, I was ready to hate it. I read all the reviews about how cheap it looked inside, under powered its V6 gas engine was, and doughy its steering was. Complete baloney! For 55k-65k it has no competitors, none. Inside, contrast stitched elephant skin textured leather adorns the doors all the way up to the dash. At that juncture, smokey polished wood panels take over and caress all surfaces all the way down to the center console compartments, which are also carved out of wood. The vents and cup holders punctuate this with steely chrome. All you need to complete the Hemingway mystique of all this are some Cuban cigars, a bottle of whiskey (it has a bottle opener built into the center console), and a WWI revolver. At his point, I have to say I can't believe we ever considered an Odyssey Touring Elite, which was sea of wobbly plastic, cheap leather, and malfunctioning gizmos. When we test drove them the power tail gate failed in one, the 16" HD screen failed in another, and the engine stalled in the last. Then there were the myriad federal airbag, seatbelt, and sliding door complaints the Odyssey had. You get what you pay for though, for 20k more, the R has zero federal complaints. Not a one. Then, there's the R's ride, which is like lounging in a first-class Euro-Rail cabin. You hear road bumps, but they are distant and soothing thanks to the longest wheel base offered in any Mercedes. Potholes produce a relaxing, cushioned crackle, like biting into a Snickers bar, a good bass sound but won't rattle you. You can change this serenity with the touch of a button. Paddle shift down and the engine screams and launches 5,000lbs of German steel like an angry bison. But even at high speed, it brakes crushingly, shifts like it's on tracks, and you're always in control. There's no tipsyness like in an SUV and no fishtailing like in most other wagons. Finally, this car is safe. It weighs about as much as some full size pickup trucks but puts all that weight into crumple zones and a unibody construction rather than the chassis. Even the doors feel safe as they're as large as a sail on a boat and half a foot thick. You're basically in a vault when you're in this thing."

Best vehicle I have owned

By on Sunday, July 01, 2012

Pros: "handling"

Cons: "Gas"

"I know people out there bash the Mercedes R Class calling it ugly and a mini van but they are dead wrong. I love the power and style of my R 500 I have not had one single problem with the transmission or any major components. Despite its size it drives like a sports car and has everything you would get in a sports car. I love it and if I could buy two more I would"

Very functional vehicle.

By on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Pros: "Good value, great comfort, easy putting back seats"

Cons: "Have had a lot of quirky techniccal problems with"

"Really like the car. Great for taking the family around and carting around baseball equipment. Excellent on long trips."

Great family vehicle and very comfortable on trips

By on Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pros: "comfort, room, quiet, sporty"

Cons: "gas mileage, service costs, premium gas"

"Purchased car in 2007 and have had only a few minor issues and no major ones. We have the R500 which is no longer available. Good power in the R500. At the advice of friends, I did purchase an extended warranty. This car is so comfortable on the highway. Living in Houston, I make several trips each year to Austin and Dallas. This car loves the interstate and is so smooth and comfortable on long hauls. Great around town car as well but it really shines on the interstate!"

Fabulous vehicle but be forewarned about repairs

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "driving experience, passenger amenities"

Cons: "reliabilty"

"This is the third MB and the second R. The first R was a 2006 and I traded it in on a new Volvo XC70 as soon as the warranty on the R was up. Usual first model year glitches on the 2006 R and just not worth the annoyance and expense. I soon realized how different the R is from other crossovers. I kept the Volvo XC70 for approximately 6 months then switched to a 2010 R. The level of refinement, driving agility, and passenger comfort are the best features of this vehicle. That having been said my wife has a seven year old E class that has only been to the service center once for anything other then normal maintenance. The R on the other hand is in about every two months. I did purchase the extended warranty which will pay for itself based on past experience. Ultimately, I think buyers are fooling themselves if they expect the repair bills for a $60K car to be comparable to a $30K (insert other American/Japanese brand here) but they will find a higher level of reliability in the other brand. They only produce around 3K R's in Alabama each year and I firmly believe that is the difference between the R and the E. One is built in Alabama and the other is still built in Stuttgart Germany. My next car will be another R but I go in with my eyes open regarding the cost of ownership."

safe / comfortable drives itself .....

By on Monday, March 26, 2012

"we traveled many miles with 7 people in this car. great for long trips.."

some repairs are very expensive

By on Sunday, March 25, 2012

Pros: "very fun to drive love the interior"

Cons: "rear doors are very long"

"loved the interior but it was more of a wagon than a crossover"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz R-Class near Honolulu. See local deals
See if you qualify for