• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2009 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

8.4

Based on 200 Ratings for the 2006 - 2011 models.

09 ML350..what a horrible excuse for a Mercedes..

By on Monday, November 18, 2013

Pros: "Looks okay from the outside. Thats the only pro."

Cons: "Just about everything. Not many good things to say"

"Growing up I always thought of Benz as being top of the line cars. I had driven various BMW's, Acura's, Jaguar's and a lot of other luxury brands and I've owned several Audi's a Lexus and an Infiniti, but never drove or had a Mercedes for whatever reason, and always thought since Mercedes is more popular and more expensive that it must be better than all those aforementioned brands. But I didn't drive one until I was much older and wow. What a disappointment. The first Benz I ever drove was a friends grandmother's 2011 Mercedes C300 4matic. What a perfect grandma car. I was so unimpressed by the performance and overall quality but I brushed that off because after all it is the cheapest of all Mercedes. But I still expected better. Then my father decided to buy an SUV on a whim and without looking at other cars decided to get the 09 ML350 Benz. And this car must have no options because its honestly a joke. What a mistake. Let me start: - Car has horrible, I repeat HORRIBLE steering. Not sure if my specific ML has this problem but it is so loose and sloppy that when driving curvy roads I don't even feel confident in which way the car will go. - Cars buttons are all plastic and break easily. My sunroof button has broken twice already. - No key-less push button start. Most other brands in this price range offer that feature standard. My 09 Audi A5 is almost fully loaded and doesn't have keyless entry..but that's an Audi..this is a Mercedes..isn't Mercedes supposed to be better? - Does my ML have a faulty transmission? I hope its just mine because this car shifts so poorly, feels like its never in the right gear, revs high at times for no reason. Really jumpy tranny and just makes the driving experience bad. - Everything squeaks/rattles. Sunroof squeaks loud as it opens every time. Hit a bump and you're guaranteed to hear squeaks and rattles from some part of the car. - Bad headlights. Halogen bulbs are weak and dingy. In my opinion any car in this price range especially a Mercedes should have Xenon headlights standard. - Car has 3-stage heated front seats but they turn off gradually as time goes by. They start at 3 then go to 2 then 1..why? Anyone? - The navigation system is slow to use and really seems like its made for the passenger to use while the driver focuses on the road. If you have to play with the navigation while you're driving it could easily be a hazard. - Is this a luxury SUV? Why are there vents in the back seat? Oh, the rear vents are only for air conditioning? Is that a joke? So during the winter either I have to blast heat on myself in order for my rear passengers have heat or they have to freeze when I turn the heat off because Im sweating? Why dont they have their own controls? There's not even a wheel back there to open and close the vents, that has to be done from the front seat. Bad design. - Under the main screen in the middle there are two mini drawers. The main top draw I like. It gives the car a nice living room feel type of feel. It opens and closes smoothly, is a good size and its very convenient. One problem. The drawer underneath that is the ashtray and car lighter. Lets say you want to charge your cell phone, okay, you plug your car charger into the cigarette lighter and leave that ashtray drawer open and there you go..but the car charger sticking up makes it impossible for the main drawer above it to open more than halfway and becomes useless. So make your pick, you can either have access to the top drawer or charge your cell phone, you can't have both. Once again, very poor design. - Two electrical problems I've had since I got the car two years ago 1. Replaced three brake lights (since there are three mini sections that make up each of the taillights it gets annoying to have to replace each one as they go) 2. Power trunk completely stopped working and until getting it fixed it was almost completely useless. - The harmon/kardon system in this car is not bad. But please go into my Audi and listen to the Bang&Olufsen system in there and tell me its not better than this harmon/kardon. Then go into my Infiniti G37x and tell me that it's Bose system is not better than BOTH of these German car's sound systems. I can't make this stuff up. Not on the same level. Of the three, the Bose is the best, the Bang&Olufsen is a close second, and the Benz Harmon/Kardon is by far the worst of the three. - Everything inside is overly confusing to use. Good luck with that giant baseball bat of a turn signal knob. I dont know why they put so many controls and switches on one knob that you can't even see with the large boat like steering wheel in the way. - Back-up camera is poor quality. Always seems like there is glare blocking your view during the day. Backup camera's in my Lexus, Audi, and Infiniti are better. Let's say you get in your car and the music is on, but you dont want to hear it so you press the power button for the radio. Then the whole screen shuts off. Put the car in reverse, and you get no Backup camera. You then have to put the car back in park, turn on the system, manually turn down the volume of the music (since you dont want to hear it), then hit reverse again to get the backup camera to go on. Poor design. - Seats are pretty stiff, not comfortable on long trips, and the drivers seat has lumbar but not very adjustable at all. You cant get the lumbar to hit your lower back for some reason it just doesnt go down that far. Makes it pretty useless. Oh yea, and passenger side lumbar? Nope. This is a luxury car though right? You're starting to get how I feel about this vehicle. Its just lacking. So far my two Mercedes experiences have been just bad in every way. I ask myself all the time why there are so many ML350's on the road, the older ones, and especially the newer ones with that hideous new body style. I cant even imagine it being any uglier. I will say that I test drove a 2010 S550 recently and it was impressive. Not even close to the C300 or ML350. Definitely a far better car in every way shape and form and I could tell just from a 10 minute test drive. Im sure if I end up buying it, it will change the way I feel about Mercedes. So I'm not done with Benz at all, I still think they have great looking cars for the most part and they without a doubt get better as you go up the chain of models and classes. But why would anyone get this car over the BMW x5? I can see how this car attracts people but seriously I can't see how this car gets chosen over the X5. So we have a lot of regret there. As far as the Audi Q5/Q7 goes, couldn't tell you how they compare to the ML because I havent driven them, and the same goes for the Lexus RX350 and GX model. But I can say that my friend had the Acura MDX and I drove it a few times, seems like a better car and definitely is a better performer although its exterior looks aren't as sharp as the ML, and from being inside the RX350 a few times I know that the interior on that car is more convenient and more comfortable. And I can say hands down, because my brother has a beautiful 2011 X5 x35i with the M pacakge, that the X5 is better than the ML is just about every way. Save yourself the frustration of buying this far from adequate Mercedes."

Sorry I bought MB

By on Thursday, October 03, 2013

Pros: "None"

Cons: "Too many to mention"

"My 1st and last MB First it was the drivers side electric door opener that went. Then it was the rear right blinker LED light. Then a few days later the left rear winder lever (cheap plastic) snaps off in my hand as I lowered the window!! I AM NEVER EVER GOING TO BUY ANOTHER OVERPRICED MB AGAIN!!!! MBUSA's answer to my complaint since I am over the 50K warranty miles is they will give me a deal on my less than 3 year old ML350 to trade-in for a new MB. YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!!!!"

ML-350 Balance Shaft Problem

By on Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pros: "Good to drive"

Cons: "Maintenance nightmare -"

"This car was a maintenance nightmare - new engine at 15K, transmission problems at 80K, electrical problems - all the time, and finally the Balance Shaft problem - $6300 repair for a known defect that MB knew about. Will never buy another MB product. Have gone to Lexus. Beware of MB, quality is no longer inherent in the name. search ml250 balance shaft --- lots of problems from people"

Technology has advanced and it is time to trade.

By on Friday, July 05, 2013

Pros: "A great car= design, build, service and commitment"

Cons: "All cars need a very audible "low on gas" alarm"

"But it hard to part with a reliable old friend. The ML's dynamic steering control probably saved my life. I was going from Charlotte to Toronto and hit a deer on a 20 degree Friday night in West Virginia. There is no question that the dynamic steering control kept the car from rolling over. MB's driver assistance came in over the speakers within 15 seconds and stayed on the call for 3 hours directing me to a dealer in Greensburg, PA. This dealer had the critical parts that MB believed would be necessary to get the car back on the road quickly. The MB driver assistant had me run the heater on high with the windows down to cool the engine. It worked. The PA dealer installed a new radiator, fan, etc. while I slept in and I was back on the road by 10 AM Saturday morning. On another Friday night, while making the run from South Florida to Charlotte, I accidentally ran out of gas. All cars should have an audible alarm on the gas level. The road service tech brought two gallons of gas and lead me to an all night gas station thirty miles away. I did not expect that kind of help. I do things like that for my customers and it is a wonderful feeling when you are on the receiving end of that kind of care. I was only 2 hours from home. But if you know you have exceeded your limits, get real and check into a hotel. So it is time for a new ML. The new owner will need sensitivity as well as cash to get my semi-retiring trusty steed!"

MBZ ML350 - great, sturdy, reliable car

By on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, stylish, reliable"

Cons: "can't think of cons - well designed"

"Have owned this car for 4 years and love it. Very comfortable, safe and a joy to drive. Will always own a Mercedes. Am going to get a sedan as my days of transporting kids everywhere is coming to and end. However, plan to keep this car as a 3rd family car. If treated right, this car will continue to be reliable. Would recommend this car, especially for a family."

Excellent until unnecessary work performed at MBA

By on Monday, April 15, 2013

Pros: "Ok"

Cons: "Yes"

"Excellent car until unnecessary work performed at a MB dealer in Cutler Bay"

Best value in a diesel vehicle

By on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Pros: "engine and Mercedes quality"

Cons: "additive for the engine"

"I lust for this SUV, it is the type of vehicle you can rely on in any weather or condition. A few drawbacks but mute in the vehicle overall benefits"

Great car

By on Tuesday, January 01, 2013

"Only problem has been with rear gate closing, and Mercedes replaced part at no cost. Great car, handles beautifully, can fit a lot of stuff in it, and great in snow."

Excellent SUV

By on Saturday, December 08, 2012

Pros: "outstanding drive and ride"

Cons: "Premium gas"

"My wife is into horses and has a sanctuary. She was driving a big truck to pull horses and needed a smaller vehicle for daily use. She uses this SUV like a mobile tack room and for buying small quantities of horse food. This vehicle far exceeded expectations. It's normal driving is on bumpy dirt roads or very curvy back roads. I did not think it would hold up, but it has and I am now a believer. The only issue was a speed sensor that failed, but was covered under warranty."

One of the safest, and most fun car to drive

By on Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Pros: "Safest and Fun to drive"

Cons: "Michelin tires made for the ML are best ride"

"Simply put this is an AWESOME car. It has so many features that take care of the driver. The safety features are incredible. People report walking away from horrible accidents unhurt. One of the nicest things is how fun this SUV is to drive. It feels as if he car literally learns your personal diving style and reacts appropriately as if it predicts what you do when controlling the car. When you take a long drive in this vehicle you learn to appreciate how this car takes out the usual stress and tiredness you usually feel when driving other cars. After all this is a Mercedes. Because it is an SUV you sit up high so you get great visibility of the traffic in front of you. I have one hundred thousand miles on my 2006 ML350 SUV and have had no problems with it. When I purchased this car it had Continental tires on it and the ride was a little stiff and jarring when going over bumps in the road. When these finally wore out the dealer recommended and ordered Michelin tires that were designed for this car. What a huge difference these tires made. The ride is smooth and the tires feel like they hug the road making the car feel even more incredibly stable on the road. All in all I can not tell you enough about how wonderful this vehicle is. When I first test drove the car I did not realize how great it was....but after owning it for just a few weeks you will understand just how wonderful it handles, how safe it is, and how much fun you are having."