• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

8.4

Based on 205 Ratings for the 2006 - 2011 models.

Best MB I have ever owned!

By on Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Pros: "For the serious driver."

Cons: "Local dealer"

"If it made coffee... Fantastic automobile; you take care of it and it will take of you. My only concern is with the dealership."

great car

By on Wednesday, February 08, 2012

"would buy another"

Best SUV

By on Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pros: "great all around vehicle"

Cons: "Not crazy about transmission shifter at first"

"Before the ML500 I had a BMW X5 4.4 and the ML blows it away. It out handles and rides like you are on a cloud. Better looking vehicle too, and much better MPG with 7 speed auto transmission."

Just as a Mercedes Benz should be!

By on Friday, January 27, 2012

Pros: "Purchased at aggressive price, so cost ok."

Cons: "Seats get hard for boney people."

"The faster you drive it, the better it performs. At slow speeds, the over-sized 19" wheel/tire package is a little like fat skiis, you can feel them working, and steering is a bit light - good for parking lots. At very high speeds, the tires track like glued on rails and the steering feels grand prix. Worth the trade-off when driving faster than 55 mph and at 90 mph (say, emergency passing or blasting away from packs of morons hogging the left lane at 60 mph), you're driving the Starship Enterprise at warp speed, totally secure. This is an Authobahn SUV for sure."

absolutely hate it

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

"i just dont like it, dont even know why"

Perfect all round everyday ride.

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

Pros: "Classy-Great Leather-Perfect service-Love this SUV"

Cons: "Back seats should recline some"

"Great SUV-Fun to drive-Love it"

Best of my 5 Mercedes Benz cars

By on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pros: "Reliable and durable"

A love note from my husband...of course I knew he loved me when he bought me a Mercedes!

"This has been the most dependable Mercedes, by far the best German branded auto I have ever owned including BMW. The all wheel drive is efficient and strong and has taken my family on ski trips through snow and ice. The maintenance has been a breeze! The reliability, refreshing!"

Hard to Drive

By on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

"I can drive anything. A sports car, a dump truck, an 18 wheeler (once), you name it. But after owning this car for 6 years, I still can not get the "fit" of the car. I never know if I'm going to pull in to something or reverse into something. The VISIBILITY out of the truck is awful. I think this problem is the main reason I find this car tiresome to drive."

Overall disappointed

By on Friday, January 13, 2012

"Nav system very difficult to operate as other dash components. Multiple small problems which required taking in to service department. Limited leg room in back seat and small storage area."

I am not recommend this car to anybody.

By on Thursday, January 05, 2012

"I have this car for 4 years and I am not recommend this car to anybody, you always be paying for Repairs"

Not Worth The Money

By on Monday, January 02, 2012

Pros: "good storage."

Cons: "Poor Build Quality, Bad Nav System"

"We own a 2010 ML350 and have had numerous small problems. We have had the car in for repair multiple times under warranty which does not make sense for a car of this price. We actually had the windshield wipers brake off of the car while driving in the rain on a highway. We also had to have steering column repaired as the coupler was broken. The fit and finish in the interior is that of a ford. The Navigation system/infotainment system is very clunky to use and requires you to take your eyes off of the road constantly. After owning this car, it is unlikely we will buy another Mercedes in the future."

On - off road, towing--excellent driving dynamics

By on Monday, January 02, 2012

Pros: "It does everything exceptionally well"

Cons: "Nav/Stereo controls"

"We are really surprised at how much we love to drive this car. It's extremely comfortable and capable in every situation we have encountered. It covers miles easily and is nimble and fun to drive on our Colorado mountain roads. It puts my Land Cruiser to shame with its off road capabilities, and it pulls our 26' Travel Trailer with unbelievable strength and stability. And it gets 28 mpg in mixed country driving! What's not to like? - The "Command" system, which is the interface with the Nav/Phone/Sound system could use some modernization, but once you get used to its quirks it works well."

Well Built car, great Mileage, still feels tight.

By on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pros: "Great Mileage, strong resale, nice ride"

"Just a great car"

Very nice vehicle overall but a bit expensive

By on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pros: "outstanding handling, great transmission"

Cons: "Cost of driving"

"Outstanding handling, great transmission and looks new after every wash (best paint job I've ever seen). Everything about the car is expensive"

Exceeded expectations

By on Friday, December 23, 2011

Pros: "Quality, quiet cruise, mileage, versatility."

Cons: "Some electronic glitches (German stuff)."

"Fantastic vehicle! Great low end power, quiet 80 MPH cruise, good fuel mileage and great versatility. Rides and feels like it just came off the showroom floor, the ML's quality is a real plus. Tight turning circle is critical for my city domain, while the ability to quietly cruise 600 miles in one day makes this SUV a must for my varied life."

Very comfortable, reliable, great in snow

By on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

"Had this 2008 model since new. Still has original brakes(74000 mi.)very few problems( none malor). Car is driven mostly in town(60/40 local v hwy)averages 19.5 mpg.Very comfortable and user freindly.Engine has good torque and good responce.Only dislike is that the handling could be a little crisper with less body roll. This a great car in snowy conditions, If you get stuck driving this, everyone else will be too! When I trade it will be another ML350."

Great mid SUV

By on Friday, December 16, 2011

Pros: "comfortable, handles well, great long-distance car"

Cons: "cargo bay will not accommodate 4x8 plywood"

"This car handles and rides very well. It's a great long-distance car. I can haul most everything I need to. Only drawback is the cargo bay will not accommodate a 4 ft wide piece of plywood. Otherwise, no complaints. Gas mileage is ok for a car of this size. Handles well on ice and snow in North Dakota."

Masterpiece of comfort, safety, efficiency

By on Friday, December 16, 2011

Pros: "handling, safety, reliability, comfort"

Cons: "strange transmission glitches, bad mileage,"

"$63,000MSRP Fully loaded incld air suspension, camera, heated seats, MP3, telephone, Nav, etc. The only repair in 56k miles was power steering pump at 45k miles. Very comfortable seats and controls, good visibility, turning radius. Abundant V8power, quiet, and a good stopper. Best Hwy mileage, using extreme care, under 70MPH was 21MPG. Pure city only 13MPG and my typical blended is 16-17MPG. Weaknesses: The 7speed transmission is indecisive about downshifting for accelleration when D. It's annoying. Best way to optimize gears for weaving and traffic is to use the manual numbered gears. Or, just leave it in 6, which eliminates the lag in downshifting. This has been fixed in 2009 models with 8speed. There's one dangerous transmission issue: it goes into the so called, "safe mode" when rapidly ascending and stopping. It takes a rest break at the top of a hill. Dealer says this isn't a defect, which I think is crazy. Takes some getting used to. I only rate Value as 3/5 because you can get everything in Acura MDX for $10k less. Previous car was '01 BMW X5-V8 that I used for 95k miles. I'm 68 and have had more cars than I can remember. It was the most unreliable, problem prone car of my life and that includes 1950's Fords and Chevvys!"

Love this car.

By on Friday, December 09, 2011

"Great car. Handles well, tight turn radius, good visibility, lots cargo space and seats 5 adults comfortably."

Will Always own a Mercedes ML

By on Monday, November 21, 2011

Pros: "Solid, drives like a dream for a big SUV"

Cons: "2008 had DVD based Navi"

"Have owned vehicles by Volkswagen, Volvo, and Mercedes. This is by far the best vehicle I have owned yet. Bought it new, and it will only get replaced by another new one. Only thing i did not like was that in 2008 the Nav was DVD based. that has been replaced with real time sat Nav so other than that annoying quirk, it has been a dream to own. I bought the Mercedes wrap warranty to 100K with no deductible thinking that once out of warranty it would be tons of dough to fix but it has never ever needed any repair ever. Nothing like a good Benz."

Drives good, quality less than I expected

By on Friday, November 11, 2011

Pros: "drives good"

Cons: "quality, service, value"

"Car drives good, excellent acceleration and handling. Turn signal has wipers,etc. on it. The steering wheel design makes it impossible to see the different functions located on the turn signal and also makes it difficult to see some of the other controls on the left of the dash (lights for example). Navigation system is not user friendly nor is the sound system. Have never been able to download MP3 to system even tho I follow the directions to the letter. Navigation system does not take you in a direct route sometimes and you cannot try to locate a specific establishment when you are in a strange town. Asking for POIs near your location can get you stuff that is 500 miles away. Does not hold it's value as well as a Lexus (I have owned 2 Lexus and my next csr will be a Lexus. Seat belt quit working twice within the first 6 months of owning it (it was new car). Dealer service was unacceptable until I compared their car to a Toyota. Complained to MB corporate and got no response."

This SUV has treated me well over the years!

By on Thursday, November 03, 2011

Pros: "Great design, looks, and power!"

Cons: "maybe clearance underneath if you need it."

"Minimal maintenance, when it did come of course it was after the warranty period. I found a honest great place to work on the car after the dealership at half the price on labor. But the maintenance overall has been minimal."

Great highway mileage, great road feel

By on Tuesday, November 01, 2011

"Loved the diesel engine with high mileage of 26 mpg at 80 mph on the highway. At first we thought it too small but now like the size. ride, acceleration, interior comforts, quality leather seats, and natural ergo controls were all a very good fit for me. I wish it was available in a more simplified configuration ... without the navigation, bluetooth,"

We Love Our Mercedes ML350 SUV!!!

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pros: "Attractive and fun to drive. It's a Mercedes!"

Cons: "The navigation voice command is a bit touchy."

My 2009 ML350 w/Premium II Package

"Bottom line up front: this is a fantastic vehicle! I shopped several auto makers when searching for a larger vehicle that would better accommodate my small family. After careful consideration I reduced my choices down to the ML350, the new Grand Cherokee Overland (which I believe shares design and engineering elements with the ML), and the Volvo XC90. I ultimately decided on the Mercedes. I was initially set on leasing a 2011 model, but Mercedes Benz Financial was running great financing on 2009 CPO vehicles. With such a low APR I elected to purchase the CPO, which ultimately allowed me to take home a vehicle with more options. That being said; the build quality of the ML350 is second-to-none. I personally like the fact that when I'm traveling down the highway I don't hear any road noise inside of my vehicle. Additionally, you can be assured that you won't be plagued by the random knocks or interior rattles that usually result from poor build quality or low-end materials. The safety features of the vehicle were one of the major reasons that I decided on the Mercedes. Front and rear parking sensors, a backup camera, and air bags throughout the vehicle add to its overall safety factor. If you're not going to be towing anything heavy the ML350 won't disappoint. However, if you're looking for more low-end torque for towing - go with the ML550. The electronics in the Mercedes seem to be a little bit behind those of Japanese competitors, but if you enjoy the basics you shouldn't be disappointed. The hard drive based navigation system works great and is quite simple to use. If you purchase the MBrace service (sort of like ONSTAR) you can actually send destinations to your car via Google Maps. The MBrace service also has an iPHONE application that allows you to locate your vehicle (if you've had a parking lot memory lapse!) and unlock your doors if you've managed to leave your keys inside of the ML. My ML has the Keyless GO feature which pretty much eliminates the need for me to ever take my keys out of my pocket (my wife's key is at the bottom of her purse). Although my daily commuting isn't too extensive, I would estimate my city mileage around 16 mpg. On our last family road trip, maintaining an average speed of 75 mph, I averaged right around 22 mpg. If your looking for an attractive, dependable, and solidly constructed SUV - the ML350 will not disappoint!"

My 2009 ML350 w/Premium II Package

Just under warranty...we are very very lucky

By on Friday, October 07, 2011

Pros: "Coverage is great under warranty, beautiful"

Cons: "too many repairs needed under warranty"

"We were fortunate to get this one used for a great price with about 25000 miles on it about three years ago. We have had to bring this in several times over the three years for significant issues Fortunately, all were under warranty and MB handled them without issue. Recently we noted it started losing power, especially uphills. We were getting close to the 50k end of the warranty and were told as long as it gets to the dealership under 50k (we got it there about 30 or so miles under 50k) We get a call "You are very, very lucky you got it here--right now the engine is out on the floor and we wont be able to get it back to you for a week." The service manager spoke with my wife so I am not sure what the issue was but we were told "the warranty is going to save you several 1000s on this one." Part of me thinks we just got a lemon and wants to give them another try with another 2 year old vehicle still under warranty. The other part of me says to go try acura which we have had in the past and never had a problem. It is a shame the ML 350 is a beautiful vehicle that is great to drive. I am just not sure I am trusting these models at this time"