• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2008 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

8.4

Based on 200 Ratings for the 2006 - 2011 models.

excellent vehicle

By on Monday, June 23, 2014

"The best car O have driven"

buyer beware

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "Beautiful and comfortable"

Cons: "Too expensive to maintain and own."

"Have owned this car 3+ years. Long list of design problems - faulty rear electrical harness (required constant repair/replacement), documented steering rack problems, documented door lock problems, documented drive-shaft harmonic-balance problems, documented fact computers located under front and rear seats & if liquid spilled on seat can short computer and disable car immediately (no water shielding). Add to this the high cost of parts and repairs and the car is a beautiful statue. Requires 9 quarts full synthetic oil so oil changes expensive. These problems are all documented for the 2006 model year of the ML500."

Love this car

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Pros: "Looks and Drives Great"

Cons: "Priced Higher Than Other SUVs in this size"

"I love this car. From the day I drove it off the lot, I have loved the ML-350 and the way it drives as well as the great style."

25k in repairs since warranty expired 160k miles

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

Pros: "drives great interior flawless even after 7 years"

Cons: "25k in repairs after warranty expired"

"25k in repairs since warranty expired 160k miles"

This is a fantastic car for the snow, power, etc

By on Saturday, May 17, 2014

"Plenty of power with the 7 speed trans going up the mountain with a full load."

Love my car!!

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Pros: "4Matic, Cargo Space, Passenger leg room"

Cons: "Gas mileage - 18 city. Not bad for SUV"

"I tend to only drive SUVs - after driving several different brands of SUVs I have decided I've found my favorite. It's extremely reliable, comfortable and has plenty of room for my family. We live in the Northwest where we get a good amount of snow in the winter and I've never even had to put snow tires on my ML. Amazing vehicle! My mother loved my car so much she went out and bought a grey one."

2010 ml mersedes

By on Friday, April 11, 2014

Pros: "got the we bad package"

Cons: "my ex know what it look an where it park."

"this car good. it real good for everthing.i like it good as it be. get you one."

Good Concept - pretty sloppy execution

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

Pros: "good comfort, nice ride, AWD is a bless"

Cons: "mechanically unreliable, expensive on the road"

"One may be surprised by the title, but here are my reasons why I am stating that: * NOTE * this is for the ML320 CDI models up to 2009 - Let me start by saying that I have never had a vehicle to be so costly in repairs. And when I am talking repairs, I am talking about design and manufacturing issues, which should have been called lemon issues to begin with. For starters, I had to replace front differential at only 50k miles; all the struts and shocks failed at 65k miles; oil cooler had to be changed at 70k; Timing belt, manifold gaskets, one computer (out of many) and I can continue the list on and on and on ... Overall is a bad design from the start. Why? Well all the parts that had to be replaced were "upgraded" by Mercedes with supposedly better quality materials. Why has this not been done from the beginning ? Because this is were they make the money - "stealership". Overall - is a nice car, a pleasure to drive and real comfortable - when it works."

BEST VEHICLE HANDS DOWN!!!!

By on Saturday, March 22, 2014

Pros: "nice to drive, comfort and best features"

Cons: "gas mileage at times in the city"

"Great vehicle to drive. Smooth as you can get for am Suv. Handles well on curves with power. Wouldnt go back to any other brand than Mercedes."

The worst purchase ever !!! I bought a NEW LEMON!!

By on Tuesday, March 18, 2014

"I Purchased this car in 2006 brand new with 10 miles, it was my dream car , I thought. within 6 months on Christmas night, the transmission went out, thank god it was under warranty, then a year later the power steering went out, again thank god , it was still under warranty . I started to wonder if I should trade it in. but I really loved my car and felt like all the kinks was out. Well , the A/C vents broke, power seats stop working, had message about the airbags not working , took it to the dealer and all this was not covered with my warranty. spent over $3500. to fix all . the next year the radiator went out , $2,000. the power driver window button snapped off, and the lights needed to be changed , which I have had to do every year. I can't understand why the light bulds don't last because apparentely there is a back up bulds. spent $450 just to change 2 parking lights/fog lights/ 2 back lights. now we are in 2014 , the timming chain broke , $6,000 to fix !!! can't do it !! I will put on craig's list an hope I can get a decent amount for it. I can't even get $6,000 from the dealer to trade in , they offered $5,000. the worst purchase of my life !!! never again will I buy a MERCEDES BENZ !!!"

Outstanding Vehicle

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pros: "Best all around vehicle I have owned"

"Bought the BluTec after owning a 2006 4matic, which I still own. The 2006 was a good car, but wanted navigation and Bluetooth and diesel engine. I am extremely happy with this SUV. I was concerned after researching the navigation and it was not easy to learn, but it is great after learning. The vehicle is MUCH less noisy than expected, I have three other diesel vehicles. This car may last a lifetime, my spouse is still driving the 2006 in CA and it may last a lifetime."

German engineering at it's best!

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Cons: "Lack of knowledge of repair by dealer."

"Expensive to purchase but payback in economy. Per hour rate to repair this ML at $117.00 per hour is out of range for most families."

Best riding vehicle on highway or in town

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "Great vehicle and worth every dollar"

"I was hesitant to put that much money in a new vehicle however I had never owned a Mercedes. My 8 year Mercedes experience has been absolutely great. I will do the same thing again."

Love My Car

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "Quality, Reliability, Holds it value, Comfort"

Cons: "MPG"

"I have had a Lexus, Infiniti and now the MB. The Infiniti was cooler looking, but did not ride as well; the Lexus may have had a better ride, but poor reliability (the oil "gelled" up twice and the engine blew at 101,000 miles). I have had my MB for over 3 years with absolutely no problems. It drives well (it is an SUV, so not always the smoothest ride) and looks like it did when I took it off the lot. The cons are the cons that are typical of all SUVs - mpg and a little like a truck ride."

great vehicle that is rock solid

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pros: "ride, quality, noise, durability"

Cons: "cargo area, cupholders, small storage areas"

"Awesome vehicle. Second one I have owned. These vehicles truly are rock solid. Great ride for an AWD SUV. Quality is fabulous. There is a reason older people drive Mercedes...because they have driven all the others."

Stylish ride

By on Thursday, February 20, 2014

Pros: "Design"

Cons: "Expensive to repair..."

"This is the second ML350 (first was an ML320)...and was relatively satisfied with both. Really liked the floor shifter on the 2002...column shift is adequate...but floor shifter was much more sporty. The 2002 has some AMG components...2006 was basic. I am (husband) is inheritating the 2006 when I give our granddaughter my 2009 Honda Accord. One thing...both ML's were fairly reliable. My wife is getting a 2014 Acura MDX...had enough MBs."

Hasn't been good so far...

By on Thursday, February 06, 2014

Pros: "Nice styling, love the torque and 4 wheel drive"

Cons: "reliability is my biggest concern"

"I bought this car used, so I don't know it's history. I've had it for 6 weeks, and had it at the dealership being repaired for almost 4 weeks. It seems complex and hard to repair even for MB dealer. Had to involve MB techs to solve problems. And then, the extended warranty - that's even a different problem. I'll see if I keep it now that I have it out of the shop. Has some great features - love the diesel. We'll see if I get to use them."

Long time Benz onwner rates his 2008 ML320 CDI

By on Sunday, February 02, 2014

Pros: "Great engine technology, power, economy, style,"

Cons: "wish mine had memory seat"

2008 ML 320 CDI

"I am a long time Mercedes-Benz owner for over 30 years. I worked for Mercedes-Benz in the South-East. I bought my Ml320 CDI in 2008 and from day one, I use it like a truck. I do take care of it, and when something breaks, I see my mechanic immediately. Having said that, the key to happy ownership of a modern Mercedes-Benz is to have the right expectations of it going in. The Mercedes-Benz line-up has always been over-engineered from the start, and you can put a million miles on one, but none of them will get there if you don't do maintenance. So If you expect to drive for 5 years ad at the end you have only serviced it 2-3 times and changed the oil every 15000, is like feeding your child double cheese burgers very day till he is grown. neither of them are going to be happy with the outcome. so, Change the oil frequently, when something breaks, get it fixed, buy good fuel, keep it clean, and it will certainly take care of you.. in 102000 miles I have had the turbo rebuilt @ 70k, changed a couple of serpentine belts, changed the oil @ 8000 and replaced the oil filter every 4. I plan to drive my Diesel Ml 320 cdi to about 300,000 miles before I surrender it. an when I do, I intend to replace it with another!! My first Benz diesel took me 275000 before vanity got in the way and it was nowhere near the car I have today. So again, If you save and scrimp your dollars to save up for your 1st Mercedes Benz, and your expectations are that it is so well engineered that it will never break, You may be one of the owners giving Mercedes a bad customer report. however if you buy it, take care of it and enjoy it until it need service and then service it, you might jus might end up happy with it like me! Hope this was helpful! Bentleys Antiques"

2008 ML 320 CDI

*UPDATE*09 ML350..horrible excuse for a Mercedes..

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "Outstanding performance in icy, snowy climates"

Cons: "Unfortunately a lot of minor/major things add up"

"I was very harsh when I first reviewed this car a couple months ago. I'd like to take a step back from my frustration and add a few things. New York has had very severe weather this winter so far, and looks like it will be that way until the spring. I just bought myself a 2008 Lexus LS460 with rear wheel drive. Knowing that I have a 4matic Benz and a quattro Audi at home that I can drive whenever it snows, I was not concerned about getting to work. I have to admit, my entire opinion of the ML350 changed when I drove it in the snow. It turns into a completely different animal and it amazed me. In deep snow (12-16 inches), icy conditions, sleet, black ice, negative 10 degree weather, this car just about outperforms every car I have ever driven in these conditions. Amazing all weather performance. Throw decent tires on this car, and you have yourself a very capable SUV that can easily get you to work no matter what the weather is outside. Full control, and dont even worry about getting stuck, Ive taken this thing into 2-3 ft snow banks and gotten out with no sweat. If youre anything like me, you like to have fun in the snow as well. The ML is also great for that. On an open road with a few inches of snow, feel free to hit the traction control button, mash the gas and cut the wheel, and this will get you sideways in a completely controllable drift that can be reverted back straight at your will. Amazing. So I don't take back anything I said about this car, however my opinion of it is not all negative anymore. Another positive note I want to make is to say that this car is very reliable. I always had a feeling something would go wrong with it but nothing has. My friend has had 3 ML500's in his lifetime, and he swears by them, says they're bulletproof and only break down if purposely abused. Im starting to think hes right."

still up to datae.

By on Friday, January 10, 2014

Pros: "hugs the road like a sport car"

Cons: "stable in all conditions"

"life time Sirius subscription"

09 ML350..what a horrible excuse for a Mercedes..

By on Monday, November 18, 2013

Pros: "Looks okay from the outside. Thats the only pro."

Cons: "Just about everything. Not many good things to say"

"Growing up I always thought of Benz as being top of the line cars. I had driven various BMW's, Acura's, Jaguar's and a lot of other luxury brands and I've owned several Audi's a Lexus and an Infiniti, but never drove or had a Mercedes for whatever reason, and always thought since Mercedes is more popular and more expensive that it must be better than all those aforementioned brands. But I didn't drive one until I was much older and wow. What a disappointment. The first Benz I ever drove was a friends grandmother's 2011 Mercedes C300 4matic. What a perfect grandma car. I was so unimpressed by the performance and overall quality but I brushed that off because after all it is the cheapest of all Mercedes. But I still expected better. Then my father decided to buy an SUV on a whim and without looking at other cars decided to get the 09 ML350 Benz. And this car must have no options because its honestly a joke. What a mistake. Let me start: - Car has horrible, I repeat HORRIBLE steering. Not sure if my specific ML has this problem but it is so loose and sloppy that when driving curvy roads I don't even feel confident in which way the car will go. - Cars buttons are all plastic and break easily. My sunroof button has broken twice already. - No key-less push button start. Most other brands in this price range offer that feature standard. My 09 Audi A5 is almost fully loaded and doesn't have keyless entry..but that's an Audi..this is a Mercedes..isn't Mercedes supposed to be better? - Does my ML have a faulty transmission? I hope its just mine because this car shifts so poorly, feels like its never in the right gear, revs high at times for no reason. Really jumpy tranny and just makes the driving experience bad. - Everything squeaks/rattles. Sunroof squeaks loud as it opens every time. Hit a bump and you're guaranteed to hear squeaks and rattles from some part of the car. - Bad headlights. Halogen bulbs are weak and dingy. In my opinion any car in this price range especially a Mercedes should have Xenon headlights standard. - Car has 3-stage heated front seats but they turn off gradually as time goes by. They start at 3 then go to 2 then 1..why? Anyone? - The navigation system is slow to use and really seems like its made for the passenger to use while the driver focuses on the road. If you have to play with the navigation while you're driving it could easily be a hazard. - Is this a luxury SUV? Why are there vents in the back seat? Oh, the rear vents are only for air conditioning? Is that a joke? So during the winter either I have to blast heat on myself in order for my rear passengers have heat or they have to freeze when I turn the heat off because Im sweating? Why dont they have their own controls? There's not even a wheel back there to open and close the vents, that has to be done from the front seat. Bad design. - Under the main screen in the middle there are two mini drawers. The main top draw I like. It gives the car a nice living room feel type of feel. It opens and closes smoothly, is a good size and its very convenient. One problem. The drawer underneath that is the ashtray and car lighter. Lets say you want to charge your cell phone, okay, you plug your car charger into the cigarette lighter and leave that ashtray drawer open and there you go..but the car charger sticking up makes it impossible for the main drawer above it to open more than halfway and becomes useless. So make your pick, you can either have access to the top drawer or charge your cell phone, you can't have both. Once again, very poor design. - Two electrical problems I've had since I got the car two years ago 1. Replaced three brake lights (since there are three mini sections that make up each of the taillights it gets annoying to have to replace each one as they go) 2. Power trunk completely stopped working and until getting it fixed it was almost completely useless. - The harmon/kardon system in this car is not bad. But please go into my Audi and listen to the Bang&Olufsen system in there and tell me its not better than this harmon/kardon. Then go into my Infiniti G37x and tell me that it's Bose system is not better than BOTH of these German car's sound systems. I can't make this stuff up. Not on the same level. Of the three, the Bose is the best, the Bang&Olufsen is a close second, and the Benz Harmon/Kardon is by far the worst of the three. - Everything inside is overly confusing to use. Good luck with that giant baseball bat of a turn signal knob. I dont know why they put so many controls and switches on one knob that you can't even see with the large boat like steering wheel in the way. - Back-up camera is poor quality. Always seems like there is glare blocking your view during the day. Backup camera's in my Lexus, Audi, and Infiniti are better. Let's say you get in your car and the music is on, but you dont want to hear it so you press the power button for the radio. Then the whole screen shuts off. Put the car in reverse, and you get no Backup camera. You then have to put the car back in park, turn on the system, manually turn down the volume of the music (since you dont want to hear it), then hit reverse again to get the backup camera to go on. Poor design. - Seats are pretty stiff, not comfortable on long trips, and the drivers seat has lumbar but not very adjustable at all. You cant get the lumbar to hit your lower back for some reason it just doesnt go down that far. Makes it pretty useless. Oh yea, and passenger side lumbar? Nope. This is a luxury car though right? You're starting to get how I feel about this vehicle. Its just lacking. So far my two Mercedes experiences have been just bad in every way. I ask myself all the time why there are so many ML350's on the road, the older ones, and especially the newer ones with that hideous new body style. I cant even imagine it being any uglier. I will say that I test drove a 2010 S550 recently and it was impressive. Not even close to the C300 or ML350. Definitely a far better car in every way shape and form and I could tell just from a 10 minute test drive. Im sure if I end up buying it, it will change the way I feel about Mercedes. So I'm not done with Benz at all, I still think they have great looking cars for the most part and they without a doubt get better as you go up the chain of models and classes. But why would anyone get this car over the BMW x5? I can see how this car attracts people but seriously I can't see how this car gets chosen over the X5. So we have a lot of regret there. As far as the Audi Q5/Q7 goes, couldn't tell you how they compare to the ML because I havent driven them, and the same goes for the Lexus RX350 and GX model. But I can say that my friend had the Acura MDX and I drove it a few times, seems like a better car and definitely is a better performer although its exterior looks aren't as sharp as the ML, and from being inside the RX350 a few times I know that the interior on that car is more convenient and more comfortable. And I can say hands down, because my brother has a beautiful 2011 X5 x35i with the M pacakge, that the X5 is better than the ML is just about every way. Save yourself the frustration of buying this far from adequate Mercedes."

Sorry I bought MB

By on Thursday, October 03, 2013

Pros: "None"

Cons: "Too many to mention"

"My 1st and last MB First it was the drivers side electric door opener that went. Then it was the rear right blinker LED light. Then a few days later the left rear winder lever (cheap plastic) snaps off in my hand as I lowered the window!! I AM NEVER EVER GOING TO BUY ANOTHER OVERPRICED MB AGAIN!!!! MBUSA's answer to my complaint since I am over the 50K warranty miles is they will give me a deal on my less than 3 year old ML350 to trade-in for a new MB. YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!!!!"

ML-350 Balance Shaft Problem

By on Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pros: "Good to drive"

Cons: "Maintenance nightmare -"

"This car was a maintenance nightmare - new engine at 15K, transmission problems at 80K, electrical problems - all the time, and finally the Balance Shaft problem - $6300 repair for a known defect that MB knew about. Will never buy another MB product. Have gone to Lexus. Beware of MB, quality is no longer inherent in the name. search ml250 balance shaft --- lots of problems from people"

Technology has advanced and it is time to trade.

By on Friday, July 05, 2013

Pros: "A great car= design, build, service and commitment"

Cons: "All cars need a very audible "low on gas" alarm"

"But it hard to part with a reliable old friend. The ML's dynamic steering control probably saved my life. I was going from Charlotte to Toronto and hit a deer on a 20 degree Friday night in West Virginia. There is no question that the dynamic steering control kept the car from rolling over. MB's driver assistance came in over the speakers within 15 seconds and stayed on the call for 3 hours directing me to a dealer in Greensburg, PA. This dealer had the critical parts that MB believed would be necessary to get the car back on the road quickly. The MB driver assistant had me run the heater on high with the windows down to cool the engine. It worked. The PA dealer installed a new radiator, fan, etc. while I slept in and I was back on the road by 10 AM Saturday morning. On another Friday night, while making the run from South Florida to Charlotte, I accidentally ran out of gas. All cars should have an audible alarm on the gas level. The road service tech brought two gallons of gas and lead me to an all night gas station thirty miles away. I did not expect that kind of help. I do things like that for my customers and it is a wonderful feeling when you are on the receiving end of that kind of care. I was only 2 hours from home. But if you know you have exceeded your limits, get real and check into a hotel. So it is time for a new ML. The new owner will need sensitivity as well as cash to get my semi-retiring trusty steed!"

MBZ ML350 - great, sturdy, reliable car

By on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, stylish, reliable"

Cons: "can't think of cons - well designed"

"Have owned this car for 4 years and love it. Very comfortable, safe and a joy to drive. Will always own a Mercedes. Am going to get a sedan as my days of transporting kids everywhere is coming to and end. However, plan to keep this car as a 3rd family car. If treated right, this car will continue to be reliable. Would recommend this car, especially for a family."

See if you qualify for