2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

7.8

Based on 395 Ratings for the 1998 - 2005 models.

Excellent Vehicle

By on Monday, January 14, 2008

"99 ML430. Vehicle does many things very well. Excellent long distance cruiser, good off road, tows well, amazing in the snow. Seats fold completely flat, combined with tall roof make for huge cargo space. Luxurious enough for a formal night out, then go play in the mud the next day. No more or less reliable than any other premium luxury car. Bad side: Brake jobs expensive at dealer, poor interior materials, but they've held up well, wind noise, Avg 17mpg. 150K and still truckin. I'll keep this Benz a while."

The best secret

By on Tuesday, January 1, 2008

"I really didn't expect the ML to be as good as it is. I previously owned an X5 and was marginally impressed with the car overall. The ML ride is perhaps the first thing that surprised me followed by relibality and overall comfort. If there is any dissapointing feature it is with a doubt the fuel economy. I average about 15.9 mpg in suburban driving which is really not that bad but it isn't anything to shout about either. Oh, another negative (and I'm being picky) is the weak headlamps. While, again, not a deal breaker, it sure isn't the highlight of the vehicle. All things considered though it's a solid car with a soft and quiet ride that has an unbelivable traction and stability system. I tow a 5000 pound boat and launch it in a steep gravel/sand boat ramp without a care. Finally, it's a great car that's had no mechanical failures or excessive maintainence issues like expensive brakes, etc. It's a great buy as a used car with unequaled quality."

True sports utility 4x4 and 24MPG!

By on Tuesday, August 21, 2007

"Outstanding balance of performance and utility. Very strong, safe, capable, efficient, and a pleasure to drive on road or off. Anything I can't outrun on pavement, I can outrun off-road. Anything I can't outrun off-road, I can outrun on pavement. Some of the wood-like interior trim is a bit cheap, but it has perfectly placed cup holders and the leather wears like iron. I get 19MPG city and 24ish MPG on the highway and it is a foolproof 4x4! It will drive through anything you point it at with no drama and leave you grinning from ear to ear in your heated leather seats."

3 years, 56,000 miles GREAT

By on Saturday, July 21, 2007

"Bought this car in late 04 and have used it fully, in town, hauling kids, many trips through snow and ice over the mountains, and through the desert at 110 mph. This car just hums and hums. It is my reliable pony. At 56,000 miles it is like new. All I've ever had done was regular maintenance and, I think, one warranty visit for a flashing light that just needed to be replaced. I intend to keep this one for years."

Built like a tank

By on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pros: "Build quality, reliability, power, ride comfort"

Cons: "Dealer service backup and costs."

"ML500. This is one of the best cars I have owned. Solidly built. Excellent reliability and performance. I have owned it for almost 6 years and has been my workhorse. I wish all cars were built like this."

A wonderful car, but repairs if needed are $$.

By on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pros: ""Expensive, but reliable, safe,"

Cons: "Dealers need to decrease repair cost!!!!!"

"This issue may be my only deterrent from purchasing another Mercedes Bens, which is the car, that l truly happy to own!"

Love these cars! I have 2 of them over 100K miles

By on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pros: "Run for ever and easy to maintain."

Cons: "Wish it had a third row seating option"

Love this car!

"Great cars that are simple to maintain. The ML350 engine is strong and the AWD is amazing in bad weather. Never been stranded! They are comfy and family friendly with air bags around the whole car making them ultra safe!"

Love this car!

Solid Vehicle

By on Friday, July 30, 2010

"I bought my ML320 used in 2003 and have been very happy with it. I strongly recommend that you buy a certified vehicle. My ML320 was the only car on my street that could make it out during a deep snow. This car is amazing in the snow - no slip, lots of control - more than most large trucks! Lost of room in the back, enough for 2 dog crates. Very comfortable car for travel. Mileage is not bad at all for an SUV. Car lets you know when it needs service - just follow the manufacture's suggested schedules and you will be fine."

Simply the best

By on Tuesday, December 8, 2009

"Bought at 83k in good condition. Used for 5 years. Excellent performance. No real problems. Extremely comfortable and safe, especially on wet road. Well done, MB!"

Don't bother

By on Monday, July 27, 2009

"I have had nothing but trouble with my ML. I won't make this mistake again."

very expensive maintence

By on Wednesday, September 3, 2008

"Not many repairmen have diagnostic equipment necessary to maintain this vehicle... buy only if you wish to invest a unreasonable sum of money in expensive parts and repairs"

Unhappy Owner of MB

By on Sunday, July 20, 2008

"With over 81000 miles on this 2001 ML 430, I can't think of something that has not broken almost from the start. Navigation system, fuel tank line wire went, sound proofing came off onto all windows, moon roof, built in phone system, engine wouldn't turn over, engine belt snaped at low mileage, heated seated function twice, plastic around base of driver seat, running board lights, 6 disk CD player, brake system in rear had to be replaced, and on and on. Even with extended warranty, many things are not covered. Even the dealership couldnt figure out how to fix some of it and we were just stuck with the problem. I read and article that stated that 2001 was one of the worse years to purchase a MB because of manufacturing issues, and well, that is very true. Many of my family has had similiar issues with their MB (later years) but I noticed that the brand is so powerful, the fact that they "own" a MB outweighs the probem with the car. Not for me, I was foolish and made a big mistake by buying the car, something I will never ever do again."

Mercedes Quality is a myth!!

By on Sunday, June 22, 2008

"We bought this vehicle from the Mercedes dealer certified pre-owned. Thankfully many of the problems we had with it initially were covered under the extended warranty. The ML 320 has leaked oil from the day we got it, turns out it is a seal problem. coincidentally, the dealer couldnt determine the cause until the warranty expired,figures! Other than the oil leaks we have had numerous problems with it mainly minor things (power window motors, electrical problems too numerous to mention). My wife liked the car early, but I never thought much of the comfort packages, the interior was sub par, not very comfortable seats. Just not what you expect from a supposed luxury SUV. In my opinion, Mercedes Benz quality has been on the decline for the past 10+ years. If you truly want a luxury SUV buy an Acura or Lexus. You will be much happier with your vehicle and the dealer experience far exceeds Mercedes."

2005 ML350

By on Saturday, May 10, 2008

"Luxury & style. Lush leather interior, excellent sound, dependable, reliable comfort. Very happy with this purchase."

Noisy & Expensive

By on Friday, April 25, 2008

"I bought a Certified Pre-Owned 2003 ML320. This is my second one (first was a 2000.) Loved the first one. This one is a lemon. Everything breaks. It rides loud, and all electrical/mechanical things break often. Still under warranty, and have utilized the warranty many times, but it runs out at the end of the year. I wouldn't recommend this model MB to anyone!!! Very unhappy with this purchase."

Great for family of 4

By on Friday, February 22, 2008

"Overall, I am extremely happy with this car...a little concerned about a few things that went bad but were covered under warranty...what about now warranty is expired? Feels very safe and sturdy. Eats gas. Very comfortable. Overall, would buy car again!"

my opinion

By on Thursday, January 24, 2008

"I've owned two 300Ds that I purchased used in the past and was, frankly, disappointed with both. This car is different. I bought it used with about 45000 miles on it for a good price. I feel very comfortable driving it, it looks great and has been low maintenance for the first year and 20,000 plus miles. The gas mileage is about 19 mpg overall. It runs just fine on regular gas."

Class

By on Sunday, January 20, 2008

"I have owned many SUVs but this one is amazing for the price. However when I bought the car there was something wrong with the room temp control. The part cost me $50 but had to take the whole dash out in one day and put it back another day just to change a defective cheap part. Gas milage is good and got better with a magnetic fuel saver on the fuel line. Now I get 20 miles/Galon +. Its a fine car and can't beat the price."

Super suv

By on Sunday, January 20, 2008

"I purchased as previously owned, it is a 2001, and I have owned it 4 yrs. Have owned 4 other suv's over the past 20+ years, this is the best one so far. Pull a 15ft. alum boat to Canada a couple of times a year and never a problem. Follow normal maintenance schedule and not a problem so far with the exception of a set of brakes, but then I got 50k on the originals."

Potential Money Pit

By on Monday, December 17, 2007

"I am the second owner of this car, having purchased it in October, 2003. Year One brought about $8K in repairs from electrical failure to a messed-up transfer case. Thank goodness I invested in an extended warranty, so I only paid the $75 deductible. The rest of the time has been sensor in gas tank messed up, oil level sensor problems, LCD in rearview mirror spilled out, sunroof problems, and on and on. If it were not for the warranty, I'd have driven it into the ocean and called it a day. Still love the MB though, because it starts like clockwork, and holds my 100 lb dog's crate perfectly. So, I'll get another one and start all over again. Call me crazy."

I absolutely love it!

By on Thursday, November 29, 2007

"I have owned this car since new. Yes had the power steering hose and window switch issues. All in all I love this vehicle it meets all of my family needs. I do have a V6 which does have seem to have better reliability. I would love to find the same model with lower miles! I have 120K on this one and hope to go 300k+. In my 50 years I haven't had a vehicle like this that I truly still enjoy driving evey day..."

Very reliable

By on Thursday, November 15, 2007

"I've had this vehicle for 9 years and it has been very reliable after the initial transmission was replaced. It is now needing about 1.5 quarts of oil once in between oil changes, but otherwise no problems. Brakes are great and never squeeled. Heating system is annoying - and needs to be constantly adjusted. Mileage has been between 18-22 mpg - can't match that with current models."

An old friend

By on Friday, November 9, 2007

"I've had this SUV for almost 9 years and it has never let me down. Have had cars that have had more allure, ie. faster, cornering, etc. but like I said, this is the only one that has never left me stranded. It did break once where the supply tube came off of the power steering pump. But this happened when it was in my driveway. I called the MB 800 number for roadside asistance and it was fixed within 3 hours and for free. This SUV is very sure footed, (have used it for off roading during the hunting season,) and tough, (have pulled a two mororcycle covered trailer as well as boats). I would get another ML if: 1. I lived in an urban area and was to old to continue hunting. 2. MB was not so dag blamed expensive for service hours and repair parts. I replaced the rear shocks at 120,000 miles and it cost me $900."

The worst car I've ever had

By on Tuesday, October 16, 2007

"my 2002 ML320 is easily the worst car I had ever had. Multiple minor and average failures - most with electrical systems. The car has only 35k on it, but caused us many problems and very expensive bills. Thats despite Certified Used Car program. Will never buy Mercedes again and give it up for X5."

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"This is a great car. I have put 50 K on mine with NO PROBLEMS. One of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. It is quite comfortable for an SUV although it does not have a car-type ride. It is the perfect size and has a great turning ratio for parking, etc. I love it!"