• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

7.7

Based on 372 Ratings for the 1998 - 2005 models.

A long lasting vehicle

By on Saturday, October 13, 2012

Pros: "Good off road. Good on road. Sunrood does'nt leak."

Cons: "Brakes, AC, window switches, door locks."

"Where do I start? I got this car used from my mom who then purchased a ML350. I tried to get her to buy a Lexus RX350, which by all accounts is a more reliable car. But she sticks to her Mercedes regardless of information. While she owned what is now my ML320, every flaw that this car is known for came to pass. And, as has been the case with many other ML owners, the dealerships did not back up the part failures. Many people have sued their dealerships and MB for this reason (check out the blogs). Right from the outset, the fuel gauge sending unit did not work properly. The dealership was able to talk her out of getting this repaired as it is so expensive to do. So I inherited that problem. All 4 brake rotors had to be replaced along with pads before 25K miles. I understand this is usually the case as the rotors are very soft. Then the whole ac system had to be replaced before 40K miles. Another common problem. Then the door locks. Then some electronic fuel device failed leaving her stranded. Then she sold the car to me cheap at about 125000 miles. She got a ML350 and has already replaced the entire ac system and the brake rotors, all before 25K miles. Since I have owned the car the door locks have failed, the window switches have failed (front and rear). Mercedes should give away the window switches due to common failures, but they try to even get out of warranty service. I now have 230,000 miles on the car. I used it to commute 80 miles a day. Runs perfectly. Many cars would be worn out at this point. No rattles or squeaks. Motor very strong. I no longer off-road it because there is a loud clunk in the transfer case upon hard acceleration. It could be the beginning of the end, as I will not repair it. WE usually get about 300K out of our MBs. Mom has had several expensive issues with her ML350 such as worn out wheel bearings, AC, breaks. Needless to say, I think the ML series is one of the worst products MB ever made. My dad was a collector of MB, so I have seen more than my share, most of them being very long lasting and well built cars. MB missed the boat with this SUV, and sent them out to market in a hurry without outfitting them with quality parts."

After 11 years 183000 Miles, excellent. I love it!

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Pros: "Powerful, mechanically reliable, spacious, comfy."

Cons: "17 MPG with 5.0 L engine."

"Other than the high gas consumption of this 5 liter monster, it is still driving and as comfy as new. Very mechanically reliable, and very powerful. I also love the space inside and the 3rd raw seats option. I'll keep it for as long as it runs!"

Loved this car!

By on Saturday, September 08, 2012

Reason: traded on a new one

Pros: "Nothing stops this car; rain, snow or off roading"

Cons: "Didn't have the options of the new ones."

"This car was what I expected a Mercedes to be; quiet, incredible in snow, mechanically reliable, luxurious, easy to clean carpet - just wipe it out the door with a microfibre cloth. The only issues we had were a dead battery and dead regulator. The service was incredible with free service to 40,000 miles - covered everything from wipers to oil and filters. This car made me feel special every time I got into it."

Best and Safest Car I've ever owned!!

By on Sunday, April 22, 2012

Pros: "safe, reliable, lots of perks"

Cons: "takes premium gas only"

"I was most impressed with my car when taking it in for a tune up the German mechanic was raving about how great and safe the car was. This only made me that much more proud about my car. I also found out that despite what I thought my car with normal tune ups can run FOREVER!! I later found out that a lot of ML320 owners have well over 200,000 miles on their car. I love the room, how safe I feel while driving my kids, and the classiness this car brings!"

Kept it for 12 years - best car I've owned.

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "A comfortable work horse."

Cons: "Air conditioning went out after 11 years."

"This is the longest I've ever owned a vehicle. Drove it from San Francisco to Alaska"

This car last forever

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "You will get money out this car"

Cons: "Oil consomssion"

"I haven't had any problem with this car in 12 yrs all the org parts with over 250k miles. I will buy another ML"

Frequent expensive repairs

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

"Mercedes Benz seems to have put the ML320 together with a bunch of ideas that didn't quite have the bugs worked out. Funky things large and small routinely go wrong, and fixing them is super expensive. Brakes, for example, are out of sight. The rear cross member on ours has all but rusted off, which is a problem because that's what the trailer hitch is bolted to. And you can't get it aligned without a $$dealer$$, who, of course, has proprietary part$ and machine$, and, in my case, is 90 minutes away. When it's working, it's a great car- drives and handles great-lots of power and lots of interior space. It sports some ingenious seat stowage. The AWD is nice. The driver ergonomics are well-done. I'd be much more inclined to get another one if it wasn't so expensive to keep in good repair."

comfort, handling and safety

By on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pros: "safety, handling and comfort."

Cons: "gas milage"

"wonderful car. Drives so fantastic in the snow and ice. I have been off road, best ride every. really beautiful car"

A wonderful car, but repairs if needed are $$.

By on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pros: ""Expensive, but reliable, safe,"

Cons: "Dealers need to decrease repair cost!!!!!"

"This issue may be my only deterrent from purchasing another Mercedes Bens, which is the car, that l truly happy to own!"

Best SUV

By on Saturday, February 11, 2012

"In 6 years has never left me stuck or stranded. I have the best mechanic, but have never had an issue. I will drive this anywhere."

See if you qualify for