2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

7.8

Based on 386 Ratings for the 1998 - 2005 models.

upgraded from ml320 to ml55

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "sharp look, fast, safe"

Cons: "the 5.5L engine takes a lot of gas (go figure)"

"the ml is simply an amazing vehicle. i can not get a similarly performing vehicle with such a sexy design for this price. having said that if you can not perform basic maintenance yourself you are in for a pricey surprise bringing it to the dealer...."

Nice SUV

By on Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive and feels safe"

Cons: "Tires do not last long on this heavy vehicle"

"I have the 2005 Special Edition first MB. Wife drives it and still looks and drives well after 10 years. Planning to drive it another 5 years and passing it on to the kids since it is a very safe vehicle. Still like the truck like feel but planning on buying the 2020 ML350, unibody frame. I had to change the tires after every 22K miles but great wheels. Keep up with the maintenance and this vehicle will go another 10+ years. Other luxury SUV may be better but we are comfortable with Mercedes Benz."

Great car....still runs and performs with 125K

By on Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pros: "stylish, reliable"

Cons: "could be batter on gas"

"Great car at the present market value....built to run forever...still looks like new....like all SUVs, it could be a lot better with MPG"

Good long-term if you can handle the repairs.

By on Saturday, August 24, 2013

Pros: "Loads of features, built like a tank, capable."

Cons: "Less than stellar reliability, fuel economy."

"Bought this slightly used for less than 1/2 the sticker price the year it came out (the former owner actually kept the window sticker!). Knew about the reliability issues, so I purchased a 3/36 extended warranty. Boy, was that a great decision! I paid $1995 for the warranty and had well over $9000 in repairs in that 3 year period. Lots of other stupid issues (the biggest is the Crankshaft Position Sensor failures that are rampant throughout the Mercedes product line). My 1992 Ford Explorer (bought new) was bulletproof over that 20-year period. So I'm still scratching my head over the reliability issues. The Mercedes service adviser said that the ML class has gotten much more reliable in the years that have followed, but I definitely will check to confirm that before I buy another. In terms of value, once the big batch of repairs happened, the car has been fairly reliable. Strange, but true. If a repair item comes up, I just pay the $200 to $600 every year or so since the truck has a solid build and lots of features. Buying the current version of this truck would run over $65,000 (mine has loads of options). I drive it hard, and it has been rewarding. The V8 is thirsty (as you'd expect) and requires premium fuel. It needs at least another 50 horsepower, but it still blows off a lot of new vehicles, and the engine is bulletproof (Mercedes is known for that). The transmission is another item. Had it go around the 90,000 mile mark, and I put in a used one - which has held up since then. Lots of safety features and seating for 7 (I have the optional third row seats). I don't use the third [small] row much now since I am not hauling lots of little kids anymore, but the seats can pop right out of the truck (heavy!), or they can stay in place or pivot toward the left and right sides of the truck to give more room in the cargo area. One other thing. This truck EATS brakes! I buy the OEM rotors and pads myself (you can get even cheaper ones but I don't take chances with brakes) and have a local mechanic install them. A LOT cheaper than the $600-800 per end that the dealers charge. I pay more like $250 per end. If you are handy (or have a handy friend), you can buy the parts online and install them far more cheaply than the dealers. Spread across the 10 years I have had the truck, the repairs are not much given what you otherwise get. If the current models really ARE more reliable, I would advise you to consider them."

DO NOT BUY

By on Sunday, January 31, 2010

"I bought this car in 2007. EVERYTHING WENT WRONG. It seemed as if every month something had to be fixed. it started with the sunroof $30, then the brakes $600 every year. then something with the igition when the car has to be cold to start $3500. Then some muffler converter $3000. Then fan belt $300. then something with the transmission; could put it in drive$2000. this doesnt include the regular maintainance; spark plugs changing $1500.All in all this car was a piece of trash.the only thing I appreciated about this car is that when things went wrong some warning light will come on. Please save your money and DO NOT BUY THIS CAR. As for me, I am tramatized in buying any of the high end "luxury vehicles"."