2004 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

7.8

Based on 385 Ratings for the 1998 - 2005 models.

High maintenance woman?

By on Friday, June 06, 2008

"You might be wondering why I gave my car lots of stars and then said I would not recommend it. I have been happy with my ML since I bought it new in 2002. It drives beautifully, feels solid on the road, and makes me feel like my family is protected. Although it's on a truck chassis, and drives like a larger vehicle than it actually is, it's still a really, really nice truck. However, as with all Mercedes, maintenance is quite expensive. The car eats tires, brakes and gas. Each visit for service brings up some new issue that needs to be addressed so that it's always a big expense. So while I'm very happy with the car, it takes a certain car mentality to maintain this big baby, and that's why I wouldn't recommend it to a friend unless I know that they are prepared for the commitment."

This car last forever

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "You will get money out this car"

Cons: "Oil consomssion"

"I haven't had any problem with this car in 12 yrs all the org parts with over 250k miles. I will buy another ML"

I didn't expect this - best car ever!

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Pros: "Great price; great intro to Mercedes engineering"

Cons: "Gas filter causes car to start slowly"

"I love this car. I have driven Fords & Lincoln's for 30 years, always leasing new vehicles. Obviously I liked them but I never loved them, and tired of the cost of leasing and the bureaucracy of Ford Credit. So, after much deliberation I bought the 2004 ML 350 in December 2010. I also bought a $100 deductible warranty. I compared the combined cost, after factoring in the not so great mileage and the added cost of premium gas and concluded that the buy was worth the risk associated with a used car. In the 3 years since I bought it, I have driven it over 60,000 miles without any major repairs. My initial warranty was two years / 24,000 miles. When I approached the mileage limit, I bought a new warranty that is assumable and covers it for another 100,000 miles, up to 205,000 miles. In more than three years of relatively high mileage driving, I have had warranty claims of less than 1/2 the cost of the warranties. That notwithstanding, peace of mind..."

A Real Performer

By on Wednesday, August 15, 2007

"This car is awesome (1998 ML320)-bought it new. We have 168,000 miles on it and it still purrs right along (1/2 qt oil/5000 mlies). We have had some fixes on it that are no more troublesome or expensive than with any other luxury car. It is comfortable, a pleasure to drive, and be seen in. We have been across the US 3x in it, hauled trailers with it, and have been in 6" deep snow numerous times; it just keeps on going and at 33 mpg on long trips. We will get another."

My third ML...

By on Thursday, April 18, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, safe and good-looking"

Cons: "Brake switches, window switches, CD changer"

Nice-looking ML320, but the flaws are too many to mention at one sitting.

"I'm sure you have heard of the phrase "nothing runs like a (John) Deere when it runs..." Well, that's how I feel about my 2000 ML320. Very comfortable vehicle; very utilitarian, and my dogs love the freedom of having the entire rear seat area to themselves! Still, I purchased the vehicle (now my third ML) with 99,900 miles and ever since I seem to sink about $500 to $1,500 in repair bills into this beast each year, now my 4th. Some of it, like brakes and batteries I can understand. However, the never-ending brake switch issues and window switch problems drive me nuts! They're both good for about a year before you're heading back to the mechanic for new ones. They're either poorly designed or simply cheap parts ... probably both. It's imperative that you find a mechanic who isn't employed by a Mercedes-Benz dealership if you're going to own the vehicle beyond its warranty period. The repair bills are real and they will give pause to why anyone would own such an SUV. But, as I noted in the outset of this review, when my ML320 runs, I truly enjoy driving it. My bank account, however, would beg to differ."

Nice-looking ML320, but the flaws are too many to mention at one sitting.