2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

7.8

Based on 381 Ratings for the 1998 - 2005 models.

One of poorest engineered vehicles in relibility

By on Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Pros: "comfortable and handles well"

Cons: "electronic nightmare and very expensive to fix."

"2000 Ml320 is the a real disappointment. this in terms of safety and in upkeep. Constant failure of electronics, door locks, rear lift gate lock etc and etc. Have owned varies other MB series. All very long lived. Very reliable. Not this class and can't wait to get rid of once my mechanic is done with present fixes."

My third ML...

By on Thursday, April 18, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, safe and good-looking"

Cons: "Brake switches, window switches, CD changer"

Nice-looking ML320, but the flaws are too many to mention at one sitting.

"I'm sure you have heard of the phrase "nothing runs like a (John) Deere when it runs..." Well, that's how I feel about my 2000 ML320. Very comfortable vehicle; very utilitarian, and my dogs love the freedom of having the entire rear seat area to themselves! Still, I purchased the vehicle (now my third ML) with 99,900 miles and ever since I seem to sink about $500 to $1,500 in repair bills into this beast each year, now my 4th. Some of it, like brakes and batteries I can understand. However, the never-ending brake switch issues and window switch problems drive me nuts! They're both good for about a year before you're heading back to the mechanic for new ones. They're either poorly designed or simply cheap parts ... probably both. It's imperative that you find a mechanic who isn't employed by a Mercedes-Benz dealership if you're going to own the vehicle beyond its warranty period. The repair bills are real and they will give pause to why anyone would own such an SUV. But, as I noted in the outset of this review, when my ML320 runs, I truly enjoy driving it. My bank account, however, would beg to differ."

Nice-looking ML320, but the flaws are too many to mention at one sitting.

Built like a tank

By on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pros: "Build quality, reliability, power, ride comfort"

Cons: "Dealer service backup and costs."

"ML500. This is one of the best cars I have owned. Solidly built. Excellent reliability and performance. I have owned it for almost 6 years and has been my workhorse. I wish all cars were built like this."

Runs better than when purchased.

By on Saturday, November 10, 2012

Pros: "Drive to Maine from Florida each year, great ride"

Cons: "CD player location"

"I have never used anything but synthetic oil. I get 23-25 MPG. No oil consumption between 7,000 mile oil changes. 18 mpg around town. There is definitly an advantage to using 93 octane fuel. Only fault I have, is I wish the CD player could hold more than 6 discs or the player was more accessable. Only major repair happened a few weeks ago, that was a water pump."

A long lasting vehicle

By on Saturday, October 13, 2012

Pros: "Good off road. Good on road. Sunrood does'nt leak."

Cons: "Brakes, AC, window switches, door locks."

"Where do I start? I got this car used from my mom who then purchased a ML350. I tried to get her to buy a Lexus RX350, which by all accounts is a more reliable car. But she sticks to her Mercedes regardless of information. While she owned what is now my ML320, every flaw that this car is known for came to pass. And, as has been the case with many other ML owners, the dealerships did not back up the part failures. Many people have sued their dealerships and MB for this reason (check out the blogs). Right from the outset, the fuel gauge sending unit did not work properly. The dealership was able to talk her out of getting this repaired as it is so expensive to do. So I inherited that problem. All 4 brake rotors had to be replaced along with pads before 25K miles. I understand this is usually the case as the rotors are very soft. Then the whole ac system had to be replaced before 40K miles. Another common problem. Then the door locks. Then some electronic fuel device failed leaving her stranded. Then she sold the car to me cheap at about 125000 miles. She got a ML350 and has already replaced the entire ac system and the brake rotors, all before 25K miles. Since I have owned the car the door locks have failed, the window switches have failed (front and rear). Mercedes should give away the window switches due to common failures, but they try to even get out of warranty service. I now have 230,000 miles on the car. I used it to commute 80 miles a day. Runs perfectly. Many cars would be worn out at this point. No rattles or squeaks. Motor very strong. I no longer off-road it because there is a loud clunk in the transfer case upon hard acceleration. It could be the beginning of the end, as I will not repair it. WE usually get about 300K out of our MBs. Mom has had several expensive issues with her ML350 such as worn out wheel bearings, AC, breaks. Needless to say, I think the ML series is one of the worst products MB ever made. My dad was a collector of MB, so I have seen more than my share, most of them being very long lasting and well built cars. MB missed the boat with this SUV, and sent them out to market in a hurry without outfitting them with quality parts."

After 11 years 183000 Miles, excellent. I love it!

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Pros: "Powerful, mechanically reliable, spacious, comfy."

Cons: "17 MPG with 5.0 L engine."

"Other than the high gas consumption of this 5 liter monster, it is still driving and as comfy as new. Very mechanically reliable, and very powerful. I also love the space inside and the 3rd raw seats option. I'll keep it for as long as it runs!"

Loved this car!

By on Saturday, September 08, 2012

Reason: traded on a new one

Pros: "Nothing stops this car; rain, snow or off roading"

Cons: "Didn't have the options of the new ones."

"This car was what I expected a Mercedes to be; quiet, incredible in snow, mechanically reliable, luxurious, easy to clean carpet - just wipe it out the door with a microfibre cloth. The only issues we had were a dead battery and dead regulator. The service was incredible with free service to 40,000 miles - covered everything from wipers to oil and filters. This car made me feel special every time I got into it."

Best and Safest Car I've ever owned!!

By on Sunday, April 22, 2012

Pros: "safe, reliable, lots of perks"

Cons: "takes premium gas only"

"I was most impressed with my car when taking it in for a tune up the German mechanic was raving about how great and safe the car was. This only made me that much more proud about my car. I also found out that despite what I thought my car with normal tune ups can run FOREVER!! I later found out that a lot of ML320 owners have well over 200,000 miles on their car. I love the room, how safe I feel while driving my kids, and the classiness this car brings!"

Kept it for 12 years - best car I've owned.

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "A comfortable work horse."

Cons: "Air conditioning went out after 11 years."

"This is the longest I've ever owned a vehicle. Drove it from San Francisco to Alaska"

This car last forever

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "You will get money out this car"

Cons: "Oil consomssion"

"I haven't had any problem with this car in 12 yrs all the org parts with over 250k miles. I will buy another ML"

Frequent expensive repairs

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

"Mercedes Benz seems to have put the ML320 together with a bunch of ideas that didn't quite have the bugs worked out. Funky things large and small routinely go wrong, and fixing them is super expensive. Brakes, for example, are out of sight. The rear cross member on ours has all but rusted off, which is a problem because that's what the trailer hitch is bolted to. And you can't get it aligned without a $$dealer$$, who, of course, has proprietary part$ and machine$, and, in my case, is 90 minutes away. When it's working, it's a great car- drives and handles great-lots of power and lots of interior space. It sports some ingenious seat stowage. The AWD is nice. The driver ergonomics are well-done. I'd be much more inclined to get another one if it wasn't so expensive to keep in good repair."

comfort, handling and safety

By on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pros: "safety, handling and comfort."

Cons: "gas milage"

"wonderful car. Drives so fantastic in the snow and ice. I have been off road, best ride every. really beautiful car"

A wonderful car, but repairs if needed are $$.

By on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pros: ""Expensive, but reliable, safe,"

Cons: "Dealers need to decrease repair cost!!!!!"

"This issue may be my only deterrent from purchasing another Mercedes Bens, which is the car, that l truly happy to own!"

Best SUV

By on Saturday, February 11, 2012

"In 6 years has never left me stuck or stranded. I have the best mechanic, but have never had an issue. I will drive this anywhere."

best and practical car ever

By on Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pros: "reliability, performance, style, comfort"

"140,000 miles withot any major repair other than brakes, fluids changes and maintenances requirements, with long trips around the country including Canada. Extremely reliable, lot of power and traction, great performance, very safe/secure, all amenities,comfort and requirements for long winter or summers trips."

Best vehicle ever, I want a new one!

By on Saturday, February 04, 2012

Pros: "Excellent"

Cons: "It's not a 500SL"

"Drives like a sedan, quick, responsive, comfortable, stylish, beautiful vehicle."

GOOD CAR BUT A FEW PROBLEMS

By on Friday, January 27, 2012

Pros: "GOOD IN SNOW, COMFORTABLE FOR LONG TRIPS"

Cons: "RUST, POOR GAS MILEAGE"

"I HAVE OWNED THIS CAR SINCE 2008 AND BOUGHT IT WITH 80,000 MILES ON IT. I HAVE REPAIRED A FEW THINGS LIKE 2 OXYGEN SENSORS AND REPLACED THE BRAKE PEDAL SWITCH TWICE, BUT OVERALL WITH RELIABILITY I HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS. IT IS A GREAT CAR. AT AROUND 100,000 MILES, RUST STARTED SHOWING UP BY THE WHEELS. IT IS AWD, SO IT DOES WASTE MORE GAS. I AM GETTING ABOUT 14 CITY AND 19-20 HWY. IT IS A 13 YEAR OLD CAR, SO THINK ABOUT THAT. IT IS GREAT IN THE SNOW, NEVER GOT STUCK ANYWHERE. GREAT PERFORMANCE FOR A 3.2 LITER. TREAT THE CAR WITH FULLY SYNTHETIC OIL AND PREMIUM GAS, WHICH I ALWAYS HAVE. AND THIS CAR WILL LAST YOU A LONG TIME. I HAVE TO CHANGE SOME TIE ROD ENDS RIGHT NOW, BUT I MEAN THE CAR HAS 130,000 MILES AND THEY ARE ORIGINAL."

Goes Through Anything

By on Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pros: "Decent gas mileage, goes through snow like a dream"

Cons: "No cup holders"

"I bought this car, not because I wanted a fancy brand name but because I wanted an SUV and thanks to the Cash For Clunkers program, there just weren't any good used ones available at the time. Except for Mercedes. I was leery of buying this brand but am so glad that I did. For a 98, it's in remarkable condition which is a testament, I think, to the way it was built. It drives like a dream, is reliable and comfortable."

Love these cars! I have 2 of them over 100K miles

By on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pros: "Run for ever and easy to maintain."

Cons: "Wish it had a third row seating option"

Love this car!

"Great cars that are simple to maintain. The ML350 engine is strong and the AWD is amazing in bad weather. Never been stranded! They are comfy and family friendly with air bags around the whole car making them ultra safe!"

Love this car!

looks beautiful

By on Monday, January 16, 2012

"Driver"

Love this car. Great capacity/mileage/comfort.

By on Saturday, January 07, 2012

Cons: "Cup holders are awkward. Repairs expensive."

"This is my second ML320. I love it. It's alot of car, but I need it to haul a trailer on a regular basis and it does this, keeping very close to its 20 mpg I get on our winding roads (not alot of superhighway on a regular basis). It becomes my family car and is very comfortable and reliable (esp. in the snow)."

Best car I have ever owned.

By on Saturday, January 07, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, beautiful."

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"I love this car. I am the only owner and will probably drive it until it won't drive any more."

Love it

By on Friday, January 06, 2012

Pros: "Large interior, very practical and luxurious"

Cons: "It' s getting old"

"This the best car I have ever owned. I have no interest in getting a new car unless I can get another M class. I still think it will go another 50 k! It is extremly versatile. It is luxury and durability in one. I can't tell you what I have hauled in this car."

Best vehicle I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Cons: "gas mileage 18 to 24"

"Like mercedes, love cadillac --- so very much want to always have an ML in my stable."

WOW! 300000 Miles and Still Powering that V8!

By on Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pros: "Fun To Drive! Power. And Comfortability and Design"

Cons: "Absolutely Nothing!"

"This is still a Great Looking Car. Reliability was great until around 275000 Miles. But Planning on getting a 2012 ML550 because of what a great car this has been. Very comfortable!"