2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

7.8

Based on 387 Ratings for the 1998 - 2005 models.

By on Tuesday, January 29, 2008

"Purchased my 2001 ML320 new and had all maintenance done on schedule at dealership. Loved the car, the ride, everything. But once it fell out of warranty had all the named problems: fuel sensors, window regulators, brakes, brakes, brakes, engine light, broken arm on moonroof. Traded in because I was fearful of the electrical diagnostic and costs. Every time I see one, I want to get another, but just leary of maintenance issues. Also, like another reviewer comment, service guy at dealership said he'd never own an M Class because of issues he sees everyday. Got Acura MDX reliable as the day is long, but a much bigger vehicle."

Don't get the navigation system!

By on Monday, November 19, 2007

"We bought our ML500 new in 2002. Please, if you're looking at pre-owned ML's & think you need the navigation system...think again. We have it, and it is so slow & unreliable. You literally have to be less than a block away for it to work. It is so inefficient! Really frustrating, especially when you are lost & need the navigation system in a hurry. Also, the "check engine" light is obnoxious! Maintenance costs are too high, and resale value is pathetic. The 500 is sporty, and has a lot of power. Good looking, and has been pretty reliable in the 5+ years of ownership...but JUST SAY NO TO THE NAVIGATION!!"

GOOD CAR BUT A FEW PROBLEMS

By on Friday, January 27, 2012

Pros: "GOOD IN SNOW, COMFORTABLE FOR LONG TRIPS"

Cons: "RUST, POOR GAS MILEAGE"

"I HAVE OWNED THIS CAR SINCE 2008 AND BOUGHT IT WITH 80,000 MILES ON IT. I HAVE REPAIRED A FEW THINGS LIKE 2 OXYGEN SENSORS AND REPLACED THE BRAKE PEDAL SWITCH TWICE, BUT OVERALL WITH RELIABILITY I HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS. IT IS A GREAT CAR. AT AROUND 100,000 MILES, RUST STARTED SHOWING UP BY THE WHEELS. IT IS AWD, SO IT DOES WASTE MORE GAS. I AM GETTING ABOUT 14 CITY AND 19-20 HWY. IT IS A 13 YEAR OLD CAR, SO THINK ABOUT THAT. IT IS GREAT IN THE SNOW, NEVER GOT STUCK ANYWHERE. GREAT PERFORMANCE FOR A 3.2 LITER. TREAT THE CAR WITH FULLY SYNTHETIC OIL AND PREMIUM GAS, WHICH I ALWAYS HAVE. AND THIS CAR WILL LAST YOU A LONG TIME. I HAVE TO CHANGE SOME TIE ROD ENDS RIGHT NOW, BUT I MEAN THE CAR HAS 130,000 MILES AND THEY ARE ORIGINAL."

I love my ML430

By on Wednesday, July 07, 2010

"My Ml is a tank. I love it. Burns more gas than I like but well built and reliable. I just had an accident where I ran over a large cement block that had fallen from a truck at 45MPH The ML rolled over it, causing damage to the underside of the floor and door. Nothing wrong with the frame or driveline. Another car would have been road-kill. If you can find one for under $10K with less than 100K miles - BUY IT!"

WORST VEHICLE I EVER OWNED

By on Thursday, December 11, 2008

"I HAVE AN ML 320 WHICH HAS BEEN A HEADACHE. THERE HAVE BEEN MAJOR REPAIRS AND I AM CONTINUALLY AT THE DEALERSHIP. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THAT ANYONE BUY A MERCEDES. THIS IS MY 2ND ONE AND MY LAST. THE REPAIRS ARE ASTRONOMICAL. THERE ARE A FEW GOOD FEATURES - IT HANDLES WONDERFULLY IN THE SNOW AND IS A COMFORTABLE RIDE. BUT UNFORTUNATELY THOSE DO NOT MAKE UP FOR ALL THE MECHANICAL ISSUES."

Low re-sale

By on Thursday, February 21, 2008

"Amazingly out performs sports sedans, powerful, responsive, stable, etc. Had this ML500 for just over a year, roomy, safe & comfortable on long trips, sporty and responsive as my 5 series BMW! I can tell those who had bad luck with the ML's, get a good mechanic and in the long run, yes it costs more to perform repairs/maint but not as often as many other cars, so it's a wash! One thing that shocked me was the low re-sale value, good for pre-owned shoppers!"

Best vehicle I have owned

By on Friday, July 27, 2007

"Bought my 2002 used. What an incredible vehicle. Looks good. Drives flawlessly. The sound system is amazing. Is very comfortable yet very solid and safe. Amazing power for a 6 Am always proud to be seen driving my ML."

Drives well--high maintainence

By on Saturday, July 21, 2007

"Nice driving/handling vehicle but flimsy/easily broken interior plastic parts/trim replacement is expensive out of warranty. Kind of a dog off the line with the 6 cylinder, and I've only ever been able to get 18mpg highway, in town 14mpg. But it's an incredibly safe vehicle--has 10(!) air bags, and hauls quite a bit of gear with the rear seats folded flat."

My third Benz and the best

By on Tuesday, September 24, 2013

"Bought this used (it had been a lease)and here I am 6 years later, loving it still. Okay, it is expensive to fix but the comfort and the safety I feel is worth it. No major mechanical problems exccept one recall that I didn't pay for. Driving it in TX in the heat and it runs great. Towed a trailer from OR to TX w/o any problems and is the best car I have ever owned, altho my 1987 300D Turbo, still in the family, is running strong as well. Love, love, love my car. :)"

best and practical car ever

By on Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pros: "reliability, performance, style, comfort"

"140,000 miles withot any major repair other than brakes, fluids changes and maintenances requirements, with long trips around the country including Canada. Extremely reliable, lot of power and traction, great performance, very safe/secure, all amenities,comfort and requirements for long winter or summers trips."