2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

7.8

Based on 387 Ratings for the 1998 - 2005 models.

A Real Performer

By on Wednesday, August 15, 2007

"This car is awesome (1998 ML320)-bought it new. We have 168,000 miles on it and it still purrs right along (1/2 qt oil/5000 mlies). We have had some fixes on it that are no more troublesome or expensive than with any other luxury car. It is comfortable, a pleasure to drive, and be seen in. We have been across the US 3x in it, hauled trailers with it, and have been in 6" deep snow numerous times; it just keeps on going and at 33 mpg on long trips. We will get another."

I didn't expect this - best car ever!

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Pros: "Great price; great intro to Mercedes engineering"

Cons: "Gas filter causes car to start slowly"

"I love this car. I have driven Fords & Lincoln's for 30 years, always leasing new vehicles. Obviously I liked them but I never loved them, and tired of the cost of leasing and the bureaucracy of Ford Credit. So, after much deliberation I bought the 2004 ML 350 in December 2010. I also bought a $100 deductible warranty. I compared the combined cost, after factoring in the not so great mileage and the added cost of premium gas and concluded that the buy was worth the risk associated with a used car. In the 3 years since I bought it, I have driven it over 60,000 miles without any major repairs. My initial warranty was two years / 24,000 miles. When I approached the mileage limit, I bought a new warranty that is assumable and covers it for another 100,000 miles, up to 205,000 miles. In more than three years of relatively high mileage driving, I have had warranty claims of less than 1/2 the cost of the warranties. That notwithstanding, peace of mind..."

After 11 years 183000 Miles, excellent. I love it!

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Pros: "Powerful, mechanically reliable, spacious, comfy."

Cons: "17 MPG with 5.0 L engine."

"Other than the high gas consumption of this 5 liter monster, it is still driving and as comfy as new. Very mechanically reliable, and very powerful. I also love the space inside and the 3rd raw seats option. I'll keep it for as long as it runs!"

Since new cost a bit to be safe

By on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Pros: "Go anywhere safely."

Cons: "GPM Premium gas. Constant expensive service."

"This car has an amazing safe feeling and has proved itself over and over to be safe and reliable. Poor interior finish! Other than trim falling off, replacing door locks, seats that are in locked down position. Constant & Expensive non drive train services. This car went across country 4 round trips last year with out missing a beat. When it stops running it will be missed."

unlike any other

By on Sunday, August 21, 2011

Pros: "high quality"

Cons: "expensive repair"

"Bought it used in 2007 (vehicle made in 2004). Used it for 4 years, still using it, excellent car, no problems at all, i use normal gas and never used synthetic oil, dont thinks is necessary. Highly recommended SUV (unless you have to repair something, it will be extremely expensive of course)"

beware

By on Saturday, January 10, 2009

"I just hate this car, what a lemon. Although my family has now owned 12 Mercedes over the past 34 years, generally with great satisfaction, this car has proved to be the opposite of any previous MB experience. The 1999 ML430 was a my first new Mercedes-Benz and pleasure to drive off the lot, however after spending almost $50,000 for this lemon it has been the biggest mistake of my life. It has had major mechanical malfunctions without any warning 6 times which left my family stranded, needed towing and/or worse. The list of minor repairs seams endless. Numerous recalls. When contacting MBUSA, they either fail to respond to my complaints, ignore our correspondance or just hide the facts. My advice, buy a MB made before 1995 when the Mercedes brand meant quality and dependability."

GREAT 2001 ML 320

By on Friday, December 07, 2007

"MY 2001 ML 320 IS AN EXCELLENT CAR. I HAVE DRIVEN THIS CAR EVERYDAY SINCE NEW AND HAD 72K MILES CITY/HWY MILES COMBINED. I HAVE THE REGULAR SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE OF THIS CAR PERFORMED BY MY MERCEDES BENZ DEALER. I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH THIS CAR. THAT IS BECAUSE I TAKE CARE OF THIS CAR. PROBLEMS ARE ALMOST ALWAYS CAUSED BY NEGLECTED CAR MAINTENANCE. MY ML IS VERY RELIABLE, FUN TO DRIVE, NICE INTERIOR/EXTERIOR WITH LOTS OF ROOM AND FEATURES. FRONT AND REAR AIR BAGS, PERFORMS GREAT AND GREAT VALUE. THE RIDE IS A BIT STIFF BUT VERY COMFORTABLE. THE ORIGINAL SET OF GENERAL TIRES LASTED 50K MILES. THE FRONT BRAKE PADS WAS REPLACED AT 45K AND REAR PADS AT 62K. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE ML. IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD NEW BUY A CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED ML WITH LOW MILEAGE AND EXTENDED WARRANTY FROM A MERCEDES BENZ DEALER AND YOU WILL BE DRIVING WORRY FREE AND SAVE MONEY ON DEPRECIATION."

sadly disappointed

By on Monday, August 27, 2007

"We have had this vehicle 3 years and it has been in the shop more times than I can count. Thank goodness for the warranty !! Service is an issue since there is only one dealer in the area that works on Merz :( Might be nice to say you own a Mercedes if it spent more time on the road and less in the shop."

Disappointed By The Lost In Value!

By on Thursday, July 26, 2007

"This is my second M-Class, I totaled my first one, a 98, ML320 with over 100,000 miles on it. I rolled this vehicle at a very high speed and walked away from it...not bragging, just blessed! So I got another one. 2005 ML350, didn't like the Dunlop tires so I put Generals on it. Big difference! But now I'm looking to get a new (like new body style) but was suprized at lost in value so quickly...So I'll just keep my old one with 50,000 mile and still in perfect condition. This SUV does everything, hauls 29 ft boat, 28 ft camper trailer, and still look good doing it...and it don't mind getting up into the triple digits if you know what I mean. Its got style, grace, and power..."

Frequent expensive repairs

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

"Mercedes Benz seems to have put the ML320 together with a bunch of ideas that didn't quite have the bugs worked out. Funky things large and small routinely go wrong, and fixing them is super expensive. Brakes, for example, are out of sight. The rear cross member on ours has all but rusted off, which is a problem because that's what the trailer hitch is bolted to. And you can't get it aligned without a $$dealer$$, who, of course, has proprietary part$ and machine$, and, in my case, is 90 minutes away. When it's working, it's a great car- drives and handles great-lots of power and lots of interior space. It sports some ingenious seat stowage. The AWD is nice. The driver ergonomics are well-done. I'd be much more inclined to get another one if it wasn't so expensive to keep in good repair."