2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

7.8

Based on 381 Ratings for the 1998 - 2005 models.

Safe reliable seven passenger SUV. Good Towing!

By on Sunday, December 14, 2014

Pros: "reliable, Great towing, good traction control."

Cons: "Trim, AC poor, heated seats marginal."

"We purchased the ML 320 new in 2000 and have driven it 196000 miles. It has been very reliable and a pleasure to drive. Great traction control for snow and mud. Low range 4 wheel drive is a plus. Good towing capacity, a real workhorse! Top scores on the mechanical. Negatives; Poor AC and marginal heated seats. trip and accessories not as high quality as the rest."

Great suv well worth the money

By on Thursday, November 06, 2014

Pros: "Good tight handling and good gas mileage"

Cons: "Repairs and parts expensive"

"I wish I could afford to buy another mercedes"

Love my ML430

By on Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Reliable, Plenty of Power, and Roomy"

Cons: "Gas Gas Gas (14/19) when everyone else is above 20"

"I purchased my car used back in 2006 and it has been nothing but excellent over the last 8 going on 9 years. When I purchased the vehicle, it had about 80k miles. This car has never let me down and maintenance isn't as bad as everyone thinks. It now has a couple of issues here and there but the car is 15 years old with almost 250k. Spent 7 years in Ohio with the car and it has never left me stuck in snow nor stranded on the side of the road. The power it has is great. Good pulling torque and great power for passing and highway driving. Gas mileage isn't the best but that is what you can expect with an AWD 4.3L V8 engine in a heavy SUV. I would highly recommend this car to anyone (ML430) but I cannot speak on the other ML models."

The funnest and most loved vehicle I have owned!

By on Friday, October 24, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, Safe, Reliable, Beautiful design."

Cons: "Gas hog, tires are expensive and wear out quick."

"I bought this truck used in 2008. She is lovingly named "Honey Benz." I bought a Toyota Rav 4 for the new factor, but have been putting everyone through it for a week as I get passed my emotional withdrawels from my ML500. At this point, I don't think I will ever get the ML out of my system! In my opinion, the ML500 is the only vehicle I would consider purchasing from Mercedes. If I could justify the payment and cost to run another, I would have been at Mercedes Benz instead of Toyota. They are tanks. Because of this, I was at the pump more. But, they give you a confidence on the freeway nowadays with all of the huge trucks out there, without being the size that is overwhelming to drive. This is truly an awesome truck and I will miss her. The buyer is picking her up tonight. :("

Reluctant but wife will kill me if I don't sell.

By on Monday, October 13, 2014

Pros: "roof"

Cons: "began to feel a little unstable about 5 years ago."

Photo does not show the color well. Dark Blue.

"Purchased this car in 2000 and am a second owner. The kids loved this car while growing up as the roof goes all the way back --- One of the reasons I still have it. I had her fixed the right way every time she needed it. A number of small things that I no longer want to spend the money on. Tires are not as good as I would like. I do not feel confident with her on the road any longer as I now prefer much newer cars with low milage. Mercedes cars are expensive to fix! Check out what they cost to fix before you inquire as you may change your mind once you realize this. I had my kids using it for college as she is a TANK! If ever in an accident, I knew they would probably not be hurt. That said, low milage. 17 mpg but I have a heavy foot. Wife got much higher. I had the rear bumper completely rebuilt after an accident pushed it in a bit. I then backed up and broke the plastic cover over the bumper. I LOVE this car!!! Serious separation anxiety."

Photo does not show the color well. Dark Blue.

i loved this car never had any major problems with

By on Monday, October 06, 2014

Pros: "they dont make this model anymore"

Cons: "they changed the body type mine was the last batch"

"with it ever i have traveled round the world driving this car now it is considered old i love it. so why fix something that is not broken i can always maintain what i have."

Best vehicle I've EVER had and I've had many.

By on Monday, September 08, 2014

Pros: "Low maintainance. Lots of features"

Cons: "Trunk door does not close electrically."

"Have used premium and done all services, brakes, tires, etc. Have had 2 "?major?"problems that were fixed for less than $1200 total. High Maintenance Woman needs to get a new mechanic. My M-B mech. is great. Gave it an 8 bec.the truck chassis ride is a harder suspension. I feel very safe and secure, as I drive alone most of the time. Love this car !"

Best Vehicle ever

By on Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pros: "Nice to drive, very lux"

Cons: "Some repairs are costly."

"This car is beautiful. Has a couple things that need to be fixed, but pretty cheap and easy. I would say about three things need to be fixed. Maybe cost would be $300.00 for all three."

Still Running Strong

By on Friday, July 25, 2014

Pros: "Quality, reliability, luxury features,"

Cons: "cupholders are small, drivers seat seam ripped."

"Our dad bought this vehicle new, then passed it along to us three years ago. It had nearly 300,000 miles on it when we got it. It has never had the transmission or engine replaced and still running strong. There have been minor things to fix, tires, brakes, ignition switch. It could probably run for another 100,000 miles.."

Best car ever

By on Monday, May 12, 2014

Pros: "drives like a dream"

Cons: "to costly to get fixed"

"Great suv"

single owner, well maintained, excellent working

By on Monday, May 12, 2014

Pros: "can't say anything bad.Best seats for long drive"

Cons: "takes premium gas less than 20 miles /gal"

"Drove only in summer months. We were in Florida in winter months car was stored in the garage..Every thing is working Ie: air conditioning, CD player, gps ,heated car seats etc"

$th ML and the best one

By on Saturday, March 01, 2014

Pros: "Blast of a rig"

Cons: "very stiff suspension"

"This is my 4th ML and 3rd ML55 AMG. I ordered a new ML550 for 2008 and then found my current 2003 ML55 with only 9,800 miles. After driving the 2008 which was more quiet and smooth, it just didn't have the character that the 55 has. And with 2003 being the last year with only 170 built, I decided to keep the 2003. You take care of these cars and they last forever. Only real "fixes" needed were the gas level & pump (typical), leaking power steering reservoir and that's about it. The 9 ratings are really only in comparison to newer cars, which is really a testament to how well these do handle. They are brutes and real sleepers!!"

Should of never purchased this vehicle

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pros: "Great acceleration and really fast"

Cons: "Rough ride Hard seats Poor quality Repairs $$$$$$$"

"I ordered this ML500 new at San francisco Mercedes. Paid $70,000.00 for this SUV. What a mistake that was. It has been nothing but trouble with oil leaks, transmission leak, head light washer mechanism broke, water pump went out at 70,000 miles. Drivers side power window track went out, plastic sides of both front seats cracked and broke. Tires are odd sized and you can only get Michelins or Dunlops. Vehicle rides really stiff and the seats are very uncomfortable on long trips. I'll never own a Mercedes again. I had way better experience and comfort with my 2000 Chevrolet."

I didn't expect this - best car ever!

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Pros: "Great price; great intro to Mercedes engineering"

Cons: "Gas filter causes car to start slowly"

"I love this car. I have driven Fords & Lincoln's for 30 years, always leasing new vehicles. Obviously I liked them but I never loved them, and tired of the cost of leasing and the bureaucracy of Ford Credit. So, after much deliberation I bought the 2004 ML 350 in December 2010. I also bought a $100 deductible warranty. I compared the combined cost, after factoring in the not so great mileage and the added cost of premium gas and concluded that the buy was worth the risk associated with a used car. In the 3 years since I bought it, I have driven it over 60,000 miles without any major repairs. My initial warranty was two years / 24,000 miles. When I approached the mileage limit, I bought a new warranty that is assumable and covers it for another 100,000 miles, up to 205,000 miles. In more than three years of relatively high mileage driving, I have had warranty claims of less than 1/2 the cost of the warranties. That notwithstanding, peace of mind..."

80000 very happy, totally trouble free miles

By on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Pros: "Like a true blue friend - super reliable, 22 mpg"

Cons: "a few design kinks, a bit under powered"

"repairs over the 11 years - 80000 miles >>> electronic circuit board replaced $ 900.00 (MB dealer $ 1200 !) >>> one rear corner lucite/plexiglass window panel got loose my cost $ 8.00 for special cement, MB dealer's quote $ 1100.00 !!!) >>> sliding roof hinge (MB dealer 250.00) I never replaced it >>> sticking gas pedal. My car guy fixed it for free what the MB dealer couldn't.?!? Very capable long distance runner, a bit underpowered in city traffic, otherwise just a very, very nice car, loved it for 11 years, just traded it in for a M-320 BlueTec. Lesson learned above, - find yourself a honest reliable Benz Mechanic (not easy) and live happily ever after."

i have the sport model ML55 amg,blue blue leather

By on Sunday, January 05, 2014

Pros: "super fast 5.5L v8,good on gas,tow pkg,reliable"

Cons: "no leg room in rear,16spark plug V8,cheap leather"

"very good,stiff ride,very fast,very reliable,AMG PKG looks sharp,2014 and still running great, wish i had snow in texas to test the all wheel drive system,great in bad weather and road trips,good GPS nav system,tow pkg,lock storage boxs under seat,full time AWD,interiorleather not so great,to much plastic,no rear AC vent"

I love this ml350

By on Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pros: "great soild car"

Cons: "cost a futune to get the oil changed takes 8.5 qts"

2005 ML350 Mercedes Benz

"have this car for about 16months drives and handles like a charm big enough for everything good long distance ride very comfy. gas well it is okay after all its an SUV with get up n go power! the Bose sound system screams if you want it too! enjoy the sun roof and leather heated seats, but most of all just that great fact the it is a Benz!!"

2005 ML350 Mercedes Benz

It has been a great value and asset for us

By on Sunday, October 06, 2013

Pros: "True to it's purpose"

Cons: "No cons from my perspective."

"Special ordered new, it's been reliably serving our needs without failure or disappointment all these years. Comfortable ride, great safety features, vacation drives of 1,300 miles one way and non stop are not difficult at all with it. Also used as a daily work commuter. Still runs and looks like brand new, no breakdowns or failures only maintenance."

Since new cost a bit to be safe

By on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Pros: "Go anywhere safely."

Cons: "GPM Premium gas. Constant expensive service."

"This car has an amazing safe feeling and has proved itself over and over to be safe and reliable. Poor interior finish! Other than trim falling off, replacing door locks, seats that are in locked down position. Constant & Expensive non drive train services. This car went across country 4 round trips last year with out missing a beat. When it stops running it will be missed."

My third Benz and the best

By on Tuesday, September 24, 2013

"Bought this used (it had been a lease)and here I am 6 years later, loving it still. Okay, it is expensive to fix but the comfort and the safety I feel is worth it. No major mechanical problems exccept one recall that I didn't pay for. Driving it in TX in the heat and it runs great. Towed a trailer from OR to TX w/o any problems and is the best car I have ever owned, altho my 1987 300D Turbo, still in the family, is running strong as well. Love, love, love my car. :)"

Good long-term if you can handle the repairs.

By on Saturday, August 24, 2013

Pros: "Loads of features, built like a tank, capable."

Cons: "Less than stellar reliability, fuel economy."

"Bought this slightly used for less than 1/2 the sticker price the year it came out (the former owner actually kept the window sticker!). Knew about the reliability issues, so I purchased a 3/36 extended warranty. Boy, was that a great decision! I paid $1995 for the warranty and had well over $9000 in repairs in that 3 year period. Lots of other stupid issues (the biggest is the Crankshaft Position Sensor failures that are rampant throughout the Mercedes product line). My 1992 Ford Explorer (bought new) was bulletproof over that 20-year period. So I'm still scratching my head over the reliability issues. The Mercedes service adviser said that the ML class has gotten much more reliable in the years that have followed, but I definitely will check to confirm that before I buy another. In terms of value, once the big batch of repairs happened, the car has been fairly reliable. Strange, but true. If a repair item comes up, I just pay the $200 to $600 every year or so since the truck has a solid build and lots of features. Buying the current version of this truck would run over $65,000 (mine has loads of options). I drive it hard, and it has been rewarding. The V8 is thirsty (as you'd expect) and requires premium fuel. It needs at least another 50 horsepower, but it still blows off a lot of new vehicles, and the engine is bulletproof (Mercedes is known for that). The transmission is another item. Had it go around the 90,000 mile mark, and I put in a used one - which has held up since then. Lots of safety features and seating for 7 (I have the optional third row seats). I don't use the third [small] row much now since I am not hauling lots of little kids anymore, but the seats can pop right out of the truck (heavy!), or they can stay in place or pivot toward the left and right sides of the truck to give more room in the cargo area. One other thing. This truck EATS brakes! I buy the OEM rotors and pads myself (you can get even cheaper ones but I don't take chances with brakes) and have a local mechanic install them. A LOT cheaper than the $600-800 per end that the dealers charge. I pay more like $250 per end. If you are handy (or have a handy friend), you can buy the parts online and install them far more cheaply than the dealers. Spread across the 10 years I have had the truck, the repairs are not much given what you otherwise get. If the current models really ARE more reliable, I would advise you to consider them."

smooth the first 80,000 miles then its a truck

By on Thursday, July 25, 2013

Reason: Lots of problems with rubber parts, gaskets, and they run like a truck after 80,000

Pros: "good for another 80,000 miles but must maintaine"

Cons: "Parts are very expensive!!"

"90,000 miles after that lots of problems runs like a truck, begin to rattles"

Flaws here and there

By on Thursday, July 11, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "Not Many"

Cons: "Leans"

"My aunt owns this car I like it because it is big. I dont because it leans when you turn"

Very poorly built i.e. electronics @ mechanicals

By on Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Pros: "comfortable and handles OK when working"

Cons: "electronic nightmare and very expensive to fix."

"2000 Ml320 is the a real disappointment. this in terms of safety and in upkeep. Constant failure of electronics, door locks, rear lift gate lock etc and etc. Have owned varies other MB series. All very long lived. Very reliable. Not this class and can't wait to get rid of once my mechanic is done with present fixes."

One of poorest engineered vehicles in relibility

By on Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Pros: "comfortable and handles well"

Cons: "electronic nightmare and very expensive to fix."