2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

7.8

Based on 387 Ratings for the 1998 - 2005 models.

Good car just expensive to maintain and fix!

By on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pros: "Good price, great looks, comfort"

Cons: "gas mileage, costly repairs"

"I am the second owner of the vehicle and it has only left me stranded twice in four years, and those were not because the engine stopped. One was from a broken coolant tank causing overheating and the other was a powersteering pully. Other things that have been wrong with the vehicle have been mostly regular maintenance items except for the drive shaft problem that was just fixed in the last two weeks. This car is driven quite a bit and I was told that this was a major problem for this vehicle because of the power it has and not having a single way drive shaft. Mercedes decided to put a dual drive shaft in with a converter box that does not handle the power of the 268hp engine. If you want a not so expensive mercedes that looks great this is the car for you as long as you know that there will be some money spent on the repairs."

Driven for 10 years.

By on Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"I purchased the MB in 2000 and now have 155000 miles under my belt. It has been very reliable. Support has been great with three repairs done by MB for free, long after 100,000 miles. It still looks good, runs good, and handles all the snow Utah can deliver. This has been a great car. I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off."

Know what you are buying

By on Thursday, August 07, 2008

"Great SUV and an exceptional deal pre-owned as compared to new. The styling in 2nd to none, but build quality could have been better. Opulent and comfortable. Don't buy anything pre-2003 as there were some consistent engine problems not ironed out yet. If you have a choice, get an ML500 instead of the 230 or 320 - the torque is amazing and the gas mileage is about the same. Definitely get an extended warranty as parts can be pricy. Only use synthetic oil (Mobil 1), premium gasoline (highest octane available) and only use Mercedes Benz Fluids and filters - If the cost of these items scares you, don't buy a Mercedes."

By on Tuesday, January 29, 2008

"Purchased my 2001 ML320 new and had all maintenance done on schedule at dealership. Loved the car, the ride, everything. But once it fell out of warranty had all the named problems: fuel sensors, window regulators, brakes, brakes, brakes, engine light, broken arm on moonroof. Traded in because I was fearful of the electrical diagnostic and costs. Every time I see one, I want to get another, but just leary of maintenance issues. Also, like another reviewer comment, service guy at dealership said he'd never own an M Class because of issues he sees everyday. Got Acura MDX reliable as the day is long, but a much bigger vehicle."

Don't get the navigation system!

By on Monday, November 19, 2007

"We bought our ML500 new in 2002. Please, if you're looking at pre-owned ML's & think you need the navigation system...think again. We have it, and it is so slow & unreliable. You literally have to be less than a block away for it to work. It is so inefficient! Really frustrating, especially when you are lost & need the navigation system in a hurry. Also, the "check engine" light is obnoxious! Maintenance costs are too high, and resale value is pathetic. The 500 is sporty, and has a lot of power. Good looking, and has been pretty reliable in the 5+ years of ownership...but JUST SAY NO TO THE NAVIGATION!!"

GOOD CAR BUT A FEW PROBLEMS

By on Friday, January 27, 2012

Pros: "GOOD IN SNOW, COMFORTABLE FOR LONG TRIPS"

Cons: "RUST, POOR GAS MILEAGE"

"I HAVE OWNED THIS CAR SINCE 2008 AND BOUGHT IT WITH 80,000 MILES ON IT. I HAVE REPAIRED A FEW THINGS LIKE 2 OXYGEN SENSORS AND REPLACED THE BRAKE PEDAL SWITCH TWICE, BUT OVERALL WITH RELIABILITY I HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS. IT IS A GREAT CAR. AT AROUND 100,000 MILES, RUST STARTED SHOWING UP BY THE WHEELS. IT IS AWD, SO IT DOES WASTE MORE GAS. I AM GETTING ABOUT 14 CITY AND 19-20 HWY. IT IS A 13 YEAR OLD CAR, SO THINK ABOUT THAT. IT IS GREAT IN THE SNOW, NEVER GOT STUCK ANYWHERE. GREAT PERFORMANCE FOR A 3.2 LITER. TREAT THE CAR WITH FULLY SYNTHETIC OIL AND PREMIUM GAS, WHICH I ALWAYS HAVE. AND THIS CAR WILL LAST YOU A LONG TIME. I HAVE TO CHANGE SOME TIE ROD ENDS RIGHT NOW, BUT I MEAN THE CAR HAS 130,000 MILES AND THEY ARE ORIGINAL."

I love my ML430

By on Wednesday, July 07, 2010

"My Ml is a tank. I love it. Burns more gas than I like but well built and reliable. I just had an accident where I ran over a large cement block that had fallen from a truck at 45MPH The ML rolled over it, causing damage to the underside of the floor and door. Nothing wrong with the frame or driveline. Another car would have been road-kill. If you can find one for under $10K with less than 100K miles - BUY IT!"

WORST VEHICLE I EVER OWNED

By on Thursday, December 11, 2008

"I HAVE AN ML 320 WHICH HAS BEEN A HEADACHE. THERE HAVE BEEN MAJOR REPAIRS AND I AM CONTINUALLY AT THE DEALERSHIP. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THAT ANYONE BUY A MERCEDES. THIS IS MY 2ND ONE AND MY LAST. THE REPAIRS ARE ASTRONOMICAL. THERE ARE A FEW GOOD FEATURES - IT HANDLES WONDERFULLY IN THE SNOW AND IS A COMFORTABLE RIDE. BUT UNFORTUNATELY THOSE DO NOT MAKE UP FOR ALL THE MECHANICAL ISSUES."

Low re-sale

By on Thursday, February 21, 2008

"Amazingly out performs sports sedans, powerful, responsive, stable, etc. Had this ML500 for just over a year, roomy, safe & comfortable on long trips, sporty and responsive as my 5 series BMW! I can tell those who had bad luck with the ML's, get a good mechanic and in the long run, yes it costs more to perform repairs/maint but not as often as many other cars, so it's a wash! One thing that shocked me was the low re-sale value, good for pre-owned shoppers!"

Best vehicle I have owned

By on Friday, July 27, 2007

"Bought my 2002 used. What an incredible vehicle. Looks good. Drives flawlessly. The sound system is amazing. Is very comfortable yet very solid and safe. Amazing power for a 6 Am always proud to be seen driving my ML."