2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

7.8

Based on 385 Ratings for the 1998 - 2005 models.

Disappointed By The Lost In Value!

By on Thursday, July 26, 2007

"This is my second M-Class, I totaled my first one, a 98, ML320 with over 100,000 miles on it. I rolled this vehicle at a very high speed and walked away from it...not bragging, just blessed! So I got another one. 2005 ML350, didn't like the Dunlop tires so I put Generals on it. Big difference! But now I'm looking to get a new (like new body style) but was suprized at lost in value so quickly...So I'll just keep my old one with 50,000 mile and still in perfect condition. This SUV does everything, hauls 29 ft boat, 28 ft camper trailer, and still look good doing it...and it don't mind getting up into the triple digits if you know what I mean. Its got style, grace, and power..."

Frequent expensive repairs

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

"Mercedes Benz seems to have put the ML320 together with a bunch of ideas that didn't quite have the bugs worked out. Funky things large and small routinely go wrong, and fixing them is super expensive. Brakes, for example, are out of sight. The rear cross member on ours has all but rusted off, which is a problem because that's what the trailer hitch is bolted to. And you can't get it aligned without a $$dealer$$, who, of course, has proprietary part$ and machine$, and, in my case, is 90 minutes away. When it's working, it's a great car- drives and handles great-lots of power and lots of interior space. It sports some ingenious seat stowage. The AWD is nice. The driver ergonomics are well-done. I'd be much more inclined to get another one if it wasn't so expensive to keep in good repair."

Good car just expensive to maintain and fix!

By on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pros: "Good price, great looks, comfort"

Cons: "gas mileage, costly repairs"

"I am the second owner of the vehicle and it has only left me stranded twice in four years, and those were not because the engine stopped. One was from a broken coolant tank causing overheating and the other was a powersteering pully. Other things that have been wrong with the vehicle have been mostly regular maintenance items except for the drive shaft problem that was just fixed in the last two weeks. This car is driven quite a bit and I was told that this was a major problem for this vehicle because of the power it has and not having a single way drive shaft. Mercedes decided to put a dual drive shaft in with a converter box that does not handle the power of the 268hp engine. If you want a not so expensive mercedes that looks great this is the car for you as long as you know that there will be some money spent on the repairs."

unlike any other

By on Sunday, August 21, 2011

Pros: "high quality"

Cons: "expensive repair"

"Bought it used in 2007 (vehicle made in 2004). Used it for 4 years, still using it, excellent car, no problems at all, i use normal gas and never used synthetic oil, dont thinks is necessary. Highly recommended SUV (unless you have to repair something, it will be extremely expensive of course)"

Driven for 10 years.

By on Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"I purchased the MB in 2000 and now have 155000 miles under my belt. It has been very reliable. Support has been great with three repairs done by MB for free, long after 100,000 miles. It still looks good, runs good, and handles all the snow Utah can deliver. This has been a great car. I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off."

Know what you are buying

By on Thursday, August 07, 2008

"Great SUV and an exceptional deal pre-owned as compared to new. The styling in 2nd to none, but build quality could have been better. Opulent and comfortable. Don't buy anything pre-2003 as there were some consistent engine problems not ironed out yet. If you have a choice, get an ML500 instead of the 230 or 320 - the torque is amazing and the gas mileage is about the same. Definitely get an extended warranty as parts can be pricy. Only use synthetic oil (Mobil 1), premium gasoline (highest octane available) and only use Mercedes Benz Fluids and filters - If the cost of these items scares you, don't buy a Mercedes."

By on Tuesday, January 29, 2008

"Purchased my 2001 ML320 new and had all maintenance done on schedule at dealership. Loved the car, the ride, everything. But once it fell out of warranty had all the named problems: fuel sensors, window regulators, brakes, brakes, brakes, engine light, broken arm on moonroof. Traded in because I was fearful of the electrical diagnostic and costs. Every time I see one, I want to get another, but just leary of maintenance issues. Also, like another reviewer comment, service guy at dealership said he'd never own an M Class because of issues he sees everyday. Got Acura MDX reliable as the day is long, but a much bigger vehicle."

Don't get the navigation system!

By on Monday, November 19, 2007

"We bought our ML500 new in 2002. Please, if you're looking at pre-owned ML's & think you need the navigation system...think again. We have it, and it is so slow & unreliable. You literally have to be less than a block away for it to work. It is so inefficient! Really frustrating, especially when you are lost & need the navigation system in a hurry. Also, the "check engine" light is obnoxious! Maintenance costs are too high, and resale value is pathetic. The 500 is sporty, and has a lot of power. Good looking, and has been pretty reliable in the 5+ years of ownership...but JUST SAY NO TO THE NAVIGATION!!"

GOOD CAR BUT A FEW PROBLEMS

By on Friday, January 27, 2012

Pros: "GOOD IN SNOW, COMFORTABLE FOR LONG TRIPS"

Cons: "RUST, POOR GAS MILEAGE"

"I HAVE OWNED THIS CAR SINCE 2008 AND BOUGHT IT WITH 80,000 MILES ON IT. I HAVE REPAIRED A FEW THINGS LIKE 2 OXYGEN SENSORS AND REPLACED THE BRAKE PEDAL SWITCH TWICE, BUT OVERALL WITH RELIABILITY I HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS. IT IS A GREAT CAR. AT AROUND 100,000 MILES, RUST STARTED SHOWING UP BY THE WHEELS. IT IS AWD, SO IT DOES WASTE MORE GAS. I AM GETTING ABOUT 14 CITY AND 19-20 HWY. IT IS A 13 YEAR OLD CAR, SO THINK ABOUT THAT. IT IS GREAT IN THE SNOW, NEVER GOT STUCK ANYWHERE. GREAT PERFORMANCE FOR A 3.2 LITER. TREAT THE CAR WITH FULLY SYNTHETIC OIL AND PREMIUM GAS, WHICH I ALWAYS HAVE. AND THIS CAR WILL LAST YOU A LONG TIME. I HAVE TO CHANGE SOME TIE ROD ENDS RIGHT NOW, BUT I MEAN THE CAR HAS 130,000 MILES AND THEY ARE ORIGINAL."

I love my ML430

By on Wednesday, July 07, 2010

"My Ml is a tank. I love it. Burns more gas than I like but well built and reliable. I just had an accident where I ran over a large cement block that had fallen from a truck at 45MPH The ML rolled over it, causing damage to the underside of the floor and door. Nothing wrong with the frame or driveline. Another car would have been road-kill. If you can find one for under $10K with less than 100K miles - BUY IT!"