1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

7.8

Based on 385 Ratings for the 1998 - 2005 models.

I didn't expect this - best car ever!

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Pros: "Great price; great intro to Mercedes engineering"

Cons: "Gas filter causes car to start slowly"

"I love this car. I have driven Fords & Lincoln's for 30 years, always leasing new vehicles. Obviously I liked them but I never loved them, and tired of the cost of leasing and the bureaucracy of Ford Credit. So, after much deliberation I bought the 2004 ML 350 in December 2010. I also bought a $100 deductible warranty. I compared the combined cost, after factoring in the not so great mileage and the added cost of premium gas and concluded that the buy was worth the risk associated with a used car. In the 3 years since I bought it, I have driven it over 60,000 miles without any major repairs. My initial warranty was two years / 24,000 miles. When I approached the mileage limit, I bought a new warranty that is assumable and covers it for another 100,000 miles, up to 205,000 miles. In more than three years of relatively high mileage driving, I have had warranty claims of less than 1/2 the cost of the warranties. That notwithstanding, peace of mind..."

A Real Performer

By on Wednesday, August 15, 2007

"This car is awesome (1998 ML320)-bought it new. We have 168,000 miles on it and it still purrs right along (1/2 qt oil/5000 mlies). We have had some fixes on it that are no more troublesome or expensive than with any other luxury car. It is comfortable, a pleasure to drive, and be seen in. We have been across the US 3x in it, hauled trailers with it, and have been in 6" deep snow numerous times; it just keeps on going and at 33 mpg on long trips. We will get another."

My third ML...

By on Thursday, April 18, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, safe and good-looking"

Cons: "Brake switches, window switches, CD changer"

Nice-looking ML320, but the flaws are too many to mention at one sitting.

"I'm sure you have heard of the phrase "nothing runs like a (John) Deere when it runs..." Well, that's how I feel about my 2000 ML320. Very comfortable vehicle; very utilitarian, and my dogs love the freedom of having the entire rear seat area to themselves! Still, I purchased the vehicle (now my third ML) with 99,900 miles and ever since I seem to sink about $500 to $1,500 in repair bills into this beast each year, now my 4th. Some of it, like brakes and batteries I can understand. However, the never-ending brake switch issues and window switch problems drive me nuts! They're both good for about a year before you're heading back to the mechanic for new ones. They're either poorly designed or simply cheap parts ... probably both. It's imperative that you find a mechanic who isn't employed by a Mercedes-Benz dealership if you're going to own the vehicle beyond its warranty period. The repair bills are real and they will give pause to why anyone would own such an SUV. But, as I noted in the outset of this review, when my ML320 runs, I truly enjoy driving it. My bank account, however, would beg to differ."

Nice-looking ML320, but the flaws are too many to mention at one sitting.

After 11 years 183000 Miles, excellent. I love it!

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Pros: "Powerful, mechanically reliable, spacious, comfy."

Cons: "17 MPG with 5.0 L engine."

"Other than the high gas consumption of this 5 liter monster, it is still driving and as comfy as new. Very mechanically reliable, and very powerful. I also love the space inside and the 3rd raw seats option. I'll keep it for as long as it runs!"

Since new cost a bit to be safe

By on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Pros: "Go anywhere safely."

Cons: "GPM Premium gas. Constant expensive service."

"This car has an amazing safe feeling and has proved itself over and over to be safe and reliable. Poor interior finish! Other than trim falling off, replacing door locks, seats that are in locked down position. Constant & Expensive non drive train services. This car went across country 4 round trips last year with out missing a beat. When it stops running it will be missed."