1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

7.8

Based on 385 Ratings for the 1998 - 2005 models.

Best and Safest Car I've ever owned!!

By on Sunday, April 22, 2012

Pros: "safe, reliable, lots of perks"

Cons: "takes premium gas only"

"I was most impressed with my car when taking it in for a tune up the German mechanic was raving about how great and safe the car was. This only made me that much more proud about my car. I also found out that despite what I thought my car with normal tune ups can run FOREVER!! I later found out that a lot of ML320 owners have well over 200,000 miles on their car. I love the room, how safe I feel while driving my kids, and the classiness this car brings!"

Talk about value

By on Thursday, October 02, 2008

"This is my 2nd ML320. I leased a 2002MY and liked it enough to buy a 1999. I have driven it 60k miles (just under 100k on the odo now) as the 2nd owner and had very few minor repairs. The balance between performance and economy is ideal. I average just under 20mpg regularly. That is much better then the 14-15mpg average I was getting in my 2004 Grand Cherokee 4.0L. The ride is a bit bouncy on rough roads compared to passenger cars, but it is quiet and composed. I have to remind myself that it is not a car and has proper off-road capability with the low-range transfer case. I have even taken it on a couple 4x4 runs with a local club. It tows my pop-up camper well and does great on slick or icy roads. Resale is not the best, but that has made my initial cost an amazing value! Other vehicles in the same price range I have found pale in ability, reliability and quality. Mercedes owners have cirticized the ML for it's materials, but it is a truck. The materials are more rigid and durable. I don't expect it to be as luxurious as my Mercedes coupe. I will buy another ML320 if this one ever wears out. It seems to be happy everywhere; camping, highway, grocery or at a Valet when headed to a classy dinner. I can't speak more highly of this car. I think Mercedes hit a home-run with this one."

High maintenance woman?

By on Friday, June 06, 2008

"You might be wondering why I gave my car lots of stars and then said I would not recommend it. I have been happy with my ML since I bought it new in 2002. It drives beautifully, feels solid on the road, and makes me feel like my family is protected. Although it's on a truck chassis, and drives like a larger vehicle than it actually is, it's still a really, really nice truck. However, as with all Mercedes, maintenance is quite expensive. The car eats tires, brakes and gas. Each visit for service brings up some new issue that needs to be addressed so that it's always a big expense. So while I'm very happy with the car, it takes a certain car mentality to maintain this big baby, and that's why I wouldn't recommend it to a friend unless I know that they are prepared for the commitment."

This car last forever

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "You will get money out this car"

Cons: "Oil consomssion"

"I haven't had any problem with this car in 12 yrs all the org parts with over 250k miles. I will buy another ML"

ML 430 - 2001

By on Thursday, December 04, 2008

"I have read some of the reviews and a few have been unlucky with their MB purchase, sorry. I have experienced problems with many different brands as well (on my 8th car). My MB has been very reliable and I have only changed minor part during normal sevice. The car is build to last and the engine can easily run 250,000+ miles. I really think you will get a lot of value if you buy a used MB +6 years and avoid the high price deduction as for new model."