1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

7.8

Based on 386 Ratings for the 1998 - 2005 models.

Best vehicle I have owned

By on Friday, July 27, 2007

"Bought my 2002 used. What an incredible vehicle. Looks good. Drives flawlessly. The sound system is amazing. Is very comfortable yet very solid and safe. Amazing power for a 6 Am always proud to be seen driving my ML."

Drives well--high maintainence

By on Saturday, July 21, 2007

"Nice driving/handling vehicle but flimsy/easily broken interior plastic parts/trim replacement is expensive out of warranty. Kind of a dog off the line with the 6 cylinder, and I've only ever been able to get 18mpg highway, in town 14mpg. But it's an incredibly safe vehicle--has 10(!) air bags, and hauls quite a bit of gear with the rear seats folded flat."

My third Benz and the best

By on Tuesday, September 24, 2013

"Bought this used (it had been a lease)and here I am 6 years later, loving it still. Okay, it is expensive to fix but the comfort and the safety I feel is worth it. No major mechanical problems exccept one recall that I didn't pay for. Driving it in TX in the heat and it runs great. Towed a trailer from OR to TX w/o any problems and is the best car I have ever owned, altho my 1987 300D Turbo, still in the family, is running strong as well. Love, love, love my car. :)"

best and practical car ever

By on Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pros: "reliability, performance, style, comfort"

"140,000 miles withot any major repair other than brakes, fluids changes and maintenances requirements, with long trips around the country including Canada. Extremely reliable, lot of power and traction, great performance, very safe/secure, all amenities,comfort and requirements for long winter or summers trips."

I love this Car

By on Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pros: "Love it"

Cons: "Pricey"

"I love this car. It is the first car I have ever owned that I would go back and buy another one. I guess its true once you drive a Mercedes you never go back. I would highly recommend to anyone who want a SUV that drives like a sports car with plenty of power."

Good Used Car

By on Saturday, September 10, 2011

Pros: "All Wheel drive"

Cons: "CD has to be loaded in the rear cargo space."

"I purchased our ML 320 new. For the first year I would not have given 2 cents for this car, the Germans apparently didn't understand electricity any better than the English; however, after replacing all of the electronics, about half under warranty and half I paid, it has been a very good car. At 145,000 miles it runs better today than when new. At our elevation, 5,000 ft, the engine is under powered. The 350 fixed this problem. We are going to purchase a new car within the next 6 months and the new M Class will definitely be on my shopping list."

I still love it but.....

By on Sunday, September 04, 2011

Pros: "tight steering, comfortable seats, great dashboard"

Cons: "CD player in the back"

"I am back a year later (August 2010) to say that as soon as my ML hit 100,000 miles on it, I did begin to have some problems. Little things here and there but enough to cause the car to be out of commission for days at a time-in the shop. Lights come on for no reason and that makes me nervous. I thought that I could keep her longer but I am not sure. I do love my car but hate car trouble. A Mercedes Benz "expert" told me that these trucks are not trouble free and that the sedans and cars are made better. It will be a sad day when I have to get rid of this car but I travel a lot and can't be stuck on the side of the road. Trying to hang in there......"

Great car. Second ML and couldn't be happier.

By on Thursday, September 01, 2011

Pros: "Solid vehicle. Quality construction. Minimal repairs. Great treatment from Dealer."

Cons: "Pricey service but you get what you pay for."

"Bought new and now have 167,000. Minimal repairs and runs like a top. Hope to drive it for at least another 80,000. My first ML (2000) had over 200,000 on it when I upgraded to a new one."

BIG BILLS ALL THE TIME

By on Monday, February 14, 2011

"I ve owned this baby for over 10 yrs and a 110,000 miles. Be forewarned, tons of big bills at every maintenance visit. Comp this to other cars that work without big bills from your garage guy. 170,000 to 250,000 is normal for Japanese cars without big issues. Brakes need work often, tyres - same, oil leaks, engine management of course takes the cake."

once u go german u don't go back

By on Friday, March 26, 2010

"It runs great, the only problem was having to get a new key. The old keyless entry stopped working and a new key is not cheap, about 200.00 dollars. In addition breaks are expensive. However the vehicle was made to go longer inbetween oil changes, breaks and tuneups, so the cost averages out to be the same of a normal vehicle. Also gas is not that bad. I drove 700 miles and kept it above a half a tank. With gas at 2.60 a gal the 700 miles cost me 75 dollars. I did not go above 60mph though, I was in Michigan UP on 2 for hours and in the back part of Wisconsin, the speed limit through there is 55mph. It was a long trip but the SUV was very comfortable. This vehicle is good value, you can buy a chevy suburban for the same price and the suburban will break down 100,000 miles before the Mercedes. Not to mention the suburban would cost more in gas. I just think that the price for a key should be less and the price for a few other things on the mercedes."