• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

7.7

Based on 372 Ratings for the 1998 - 2005 models.

My third Benz and the best

By on Tuesday, September 24, 2013

"Bought this used (it had been a lease)and here I am 6 years later, loving it still. Okay, it is expensive to fix but the comfort and the safety I feel is worth it. No major mechanical problems exccept one recall that I didn't pay for. Driving it in TX in the heat and it runs great. Towed a trailer from OR to TX w/o any problems and is the best car I have ever owned, altho my 1987 300D Turbo, still in the family, is running strong as well. Love, love, love my car. :)"

Good long-term if you can handle the repairs.

By on Saturday, August 24, 2013

Pros: "Loads of features, built like a tank, capable."

Cons: "Less than stellar reliability, fuel economy."

"Bought this slightly used for less than 1/2 the sticker price the year it came out (the former owner actually kept the window sticker!). Knew about the reliability issues, so I purchased a 3/36 extended warranty. Boy, was that a great decision! I paid $1995 for the warranty and had well over $9000 in repairs in that 3 year period. Lots of other stupid issues (the biggest is the Crankshaft Position Sensor failures that are rampant throughout the Mercedes product line). My 1992 Ford Explorer (bought new) was bulletproof over that 20-year period. So I'm still scratching my head over the reliability issues. The Mercedes service adviser said that the ML class has gotten much more reliable in the years that have followed, but I definitely will check to confirm that before I buy another. In terms of value, once the big batch of repairs happened, the car has been fairly reliable. Strange, but true. If a repair item comes up, I just pay the $200 to $600 every year or so since the truck has a solid build and lots of features. Buying the current version of this truck would run over $65,000 (mine has loads of options). I drive it hard, and it has been rewarding. The V8 is thirsty (as you'd expect) and requires premium fuel. It needs at least another 50 horsepower, but it still blows off a lot of new vehicles, and the engine is bulletproof (Mercedes is known for that). The transmission is another item. Had it go around the 90,000 mile mark, and I put in a used one - which has held up since then. Lots of safety features and seating for 7 (I have the optional third row seats). I don't use the third [small] row much now since I am not hauling lots of little kids anymore, but the seats can pop right out of the truck (heavy!), or they can stay in place or pivot toward the left and right sides of the truck to give more room in the cargo area. One other thing. This truck EATS brakes! I buy the OEM rotors and pads myself (you can get even cheaper ones but I don't take chances with brakes) and have a local mechanic install them. A LOT cheaper than the $600-800 per end that the dealers charge. I pay more like $250 per end. If you are handy (or have a handy friend), you can buy the parts online and install them far more cheaply than the dealers. Spread across the 10 years I have had the truck, the repairs are not much given what you otherwise get. If the current models really ARE more reliable, I would advise you to consider them."

smooth the first 80,000 miles then its a truck

By on Thursday, July 25, 2013

Reason: Lots of problems with rubber parts, gaskets, and they run like a truck after 80,000

Pros: "good for another 80,000 miles but must maintaine"

Cons: "Parts are very expensive!!"

"90,000 miles after that lots of problems runs like a truck, begin to rattles"

Flaws here and there

By on Thursday, July 11, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "Not Many"

Cons: "Leans"

"My aunt owns this car I like it because it is big. I dont because it leans when you turn"

Very poorly built i.e. electronics @ mechanicals

By on Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Pros: "comfortable and handles OK when working"

Cons: "electronic nightmare and very expensive to fix."

"2000 Ml320 is the a real disappointment. this in terms of safety and in upkeep. Constant failure of electronics, door locks, rear lift gate lock etc and etc. Have owned varies other MB series. All very long lived. Very reliable. Not this class and can't wait to get rid of once my mechanic is done with present fixes."

One of poorest engineered vehicles in relibility

By on Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Pros: "comfortable and handles well"

One of poorest engineered vehicles in relibility

By on Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Pros: "comfortable and handles well"

My third ML...

By on Thursday, April 18, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, safe and good-looking"

Cons: "Brake switches, window switches, CD changer"

Nice-looking ML320, but the flaws are too many to mention at one sitting.

"I'm sure you have heard of the phrase "nothing runs like a (John) Deere when it runs..." Well, that's how I feel about my 2000 ML320. Very comfortable vehicle; very utilitarian, and my dogs love the freedom of having the entire rear seat area to themselves! Still, I purchased the vehicle (now my third ML) with 99,900 miles and ever since I seem to sink about $500 to $1,500 in repair bills into this beast each year, now my 4th. Some of it, like brakes and batteries I can understand. However, the never-ending brake switch issues and window switch problems drive me nuts! They're both good for about a year before you're heading back to the mechanic for new ones. They're either poorly designed or simply cheap parts ... probably both. It's imperative that you find a mechanic who isn't employed by a Mercedes-Benz dealership if you're going to own the vehicle beyond its warranty period. The repair bills are real and they will give pause to why anyone would own such an SUV. But, as I noted in the outset of this review, when my ML320 runs, I truly enjoy driving it. My bank account, however, would beg to differ."

Nice-looking ML320, but the flaws are too many to mention at one sitting.

Built like a tank

By on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pros: "Build quality, reliability, power, ride comfort"

Cons: "Dealer service backup and costs."

"ML500. This is one of the best cars I have owned. Solidly built. Excellent reliability and performance. I have owned it for almost 6 years and has been my workhorse. I wish all cars were built like this."

Runs better than when purchased.

By on Saturday, November 10, 2012

Pros: "Drive to Maine from Florida each year, great ride"

Cons: "CD player location"

"I have never used anything but synthetic oil. I get 23-25 MPG. No oil consumption between 7,000 mile oil changes. 18 mpg around town. There is definitly an advantage to using 93 octane fuel. Only fault I have, is I wish the CD player could hold more than 6 discs or the player was more accessable. Only major repair happened a few weeks ago, that was a water pump."

See if you qualify for