1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

7.7

Based on 372 Ratings for the 1998 - 2005 models.

Best car ever

By on Monday, May 12, 2014

Pros: "drives like a dream"

Cons: "to costly to get fixed"

"Great suv"

single owner, well maintained, excellent working

By on Monday, May 12, 2014

Pros: "can't say anything bad.Best seats for long drive"

Cons: "takes premium gas less than 20 miles /gal"

"Drove only in summer months. We were in Florida in winter months car was stored in the garage..Every thing is working Ie: air conditioning, CD player, gps ,heated car seats etc"

$th ML and the best one

By on Saturday, March 01, 2014

Pros: "Blast of a rig"

Cons: "very stiff suspension"

"This is my 4th ML and 3rd ML55 AMG. I ordered a new ML550 for 2008 and then found my current 2003 ML55 with only 9,800 miles. After driving the 2008 which was more quiet and smooth, it just didn't have the character that the 55 has. And with 2003 being the last year with only 170 built, I decided to keep the 2003. You take care of these cars and they last forever. Only real "fixes" needed were the gas level & pump (typical), leaking power steering reservoir and that's about it. The 9 ratings are really only in comparison to newer cars, which is really a testament to how well these do handle. They are brutes and real sleepers!!"

Should of never purchased this vehicle

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pros: "Great acceleration and really fast"

Cons: "Rough ride Hard seats Poor quality Repairs $$$$$$$"

"I ordered this ML500 new at San francisco Mercedes. Paid $70,000.00 for this SUV. What a mistake that was. It has been nothing but trouble with oil leaks, transmission leak, head light washer mechanism broke, water pump went out at 70,000 miles. Drivers side power window track went out, plastic sides of both front seats cracked and broke. Tires are odd sized and you can only get Michelins or Dunlops. Vehicle rides really stiff and the seats are very uncomfortable on long trips. I'll never own a Mercedes again. I had way better experience and comfort with my 2000 Chevrolet."

I didn't expect this - best car ever!

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Pros: "Great price; great intro to Mercedes engineering"

Cons: "Gas filter causes car to start slowly"

"I love this car. I have driven Fords & Lincoln's for 30 years, always leasing new vehicles. Obviously I liked them but I never loved them, and tired of the cost of leasing and the bureaucracy of Ford Credit. So, after much deliberation I bought the 2004 ML 350 in December 2010. I also bought a $100 deductible warranty. I compared the combined cost, after factoring in the not so great mileage and the added cost of premium gas and concluded that the buy was worth the risk associated with a used car. In the 3 years since I bought it, I have driven it over 60,000 miles without any major repairs. My initial warranty was two years / 24,000 miles. When I approached the mileage limit, I bought a new warranty that is assumable and covers it for another 100,000 miles, up to 205,000 miles. In more than three years of relatively high mileage driving, I have had warranty claims of less than 1/2 the cost of the warranties. That notwithstanding, peace of mind..."

80000 very happy, totally trouble free miles

By on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Pros: "Like a true blue friend - super reliable, 22 mpg"

Cons: "a few design kinks, a bit under powered"

"repairs over the 11 years - 80000 miles >>> electronic circuit board replaced $ 900.00 (MB dealer $ 1200 !) >>> one rear corner lucite/plexiglass window panel got loose my cost $ 8.00 for special cement, MB dealer's quote $ 1100.00 !!!) >>> sliding roof hinge (MB dealer 250.00) I never replaced it >>> sticking gas pedal. My car guy fixed it for free what the MB dealer couldn't.?!? Very capable long distance runner, a bit underpowered in city traffic, otherwise just a very, very nice car, loved it for 11 years, just traded it in for a M-320 BlueTec. Lesson learned above, - find yourself a honest reliable Benz Mechanic (not easy) and live happily ever after."

i have the sport model ML55 amg,blue blue leather

By on Sunday, January 05, 2014

Pros: "super fast 5.5L v8,good on gas,tow pkg,reliable"

Cons: "no leg room in rear,16spark plug V8,cheap leather"

"very good,stiff ride,very fast,very reliable,AMG PKG looks sharp,2014 and still running great, wish i had snow in texas to test the all wheel drive system,great in bad weather and road trips,good GPS nav system,tow pkg,lock storage boxs under seat,full time AWD,interiorleather not so great,to much plastic,no rear AC vent"

I love this ml350

By on Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pros: "great soild car"

Cons: "cost a futune to get the oil changed takes 8.5 qts"

2005 ML350 Mercedes Benz

"have this car for about 16months drives and handles like a charm big enough for everything good long distance ride very comfy. gas well it is okay after all its an SUV with get up n go power! the Bose sound system screams if you want it too! enjoy the sun roof and leather heated seats, but most of all just that great fact the it is a Benz!!"

2005 ML350 Mercedes Benz

It has been a great value and asset for us

By on Sunday, October 06, 2013

Pros: "True to it's purpose"

Cons: "No cons from my perspective."

"Special ordered new, it's been reliably serving our needs without failure or disappointment all these years. Comfortable ride, great safety features, vacation drives of 1,300 miles one way and non stop are not difficult at all with it. Also used as a daily work commuter. Still runs and looks like brand new, no breakdowns or failures only maintenance."

Since new cost a bit to be safe

By on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Pros: "Go anywhere safely."

Cons: "GPM Premium gas. Constant expensive service."

"This car has an amazing safe feeling and has proved itself over and over to be safe and reliable. Poor interior finish! Other than trim falling off, replacing door locks, seats that are in locked down position. Constant & Expensive non drive train services. This car went across country 4 round trips last year with out missing a beat. When it stops running it will be missed."

My third Benz and the best

By on Tuesday, September 24, 2013

"Bought this used (it had been a lease)and here I am 6 years later, loving it still. Okay, it is expensive to fix but the comfort and the safety I feel is worth it. No major mechanical problems exccept one recall that I didn't pay for. Driving it in TX in the heat and it runs great. Towed a trailer from OR to TX w/o any problems and is the best car I have ever owned, altho my 1987 300D Turbo, still in the family, is running strong as well. Love, love, love my car. :)"

Good long-term if you can handle the repairs.

By on Saturday, August 24, 2013

Pros: "Loads of features, built like a tank, capable."

Cons: "Less than stellar reliability, fuel economy."

"Bought this slightly used for less than 1/2 the sticker price the year it came out (the former owner actually kept the window sticker!). Knew about the reliability issues, so I purchased a 3/36 extended warranty. Boy, was that a great decision! I paid $1995 for the warranty and had well over $9000 in repairs in that 3 year period. Lots of other stupid issues (the biggest is the Crankshaft Position Sensor failures that are rampant throughout the Mercedes product line). My 1992 Ford Explorer (bought new) was bulletproof over that 20-year period. So I'm still scratching my head over the reliability issues. The Mercedes service adviser said that the ML class has gotten much more reliable in the years that have followed, but I definitely will check to confirm that before I buy another. In terms of value, once the big batch of repairs happened, the car has been fairly reliable. Strange, but true. If a repair item comes up, I just pay the $200 to $600 every year or so since the truck has a solid build and lots of features. Buying the current version of this truck would run over $65,000 (mine has loads of options). I drive it hard, and it has been rewarding. The V8 is thirsty (as you'd expect) and requires premium fuel. It needs at least another 50 horsepower, but it still blows off a lot of new vehicles, and the engine is bulletproof (Mercedes is known for that). The transmission is another item. Had it go around the 90,000 mile mark, and I put in a used one - which has held up since then. Lots of safety features and seating for 7 (I have the optional third row seats). I don't use the third [small] row much now since I am not hauling lots of little kids anymore, but the seats can pop right out of the truck (heavy!), or they can stay in place or pivot toward the left and right sides of the truck to give more room in the cargo area. One other thing. This truck EATS brakes! I buy the OEM rotors and pads myself (you can get even cheaper ones but I don't take chances with brakes) and have a local mechanic install them. A LOT cheaper than the $600-800 per end that the dealers charge. I pay more like $250 per end. If you are handy (or have a handy friend), you can buy the parts online and install them far more cheaply than the dealers. Spread across the 10 years I have had the truck, the repairs are not much given what you otherwise get. If the current models really ARE more reliable, I would advise you to consider them."

smooth the first 80,000 miles then its a truck

By on Thursday, July 25, 2013

Reason: Lots of problems with rubber parts, gaskets, and they run like a truck after 80,000

Pros: "good for another 80,000 miles but must maintaine"

Cons: "Parts are very expensive!!"

"90,000 miles after that lots of problems runs like a truck, begin to rattles"

Flaws here and there

By on Thursday, July 11, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "Not Many"

Cons: "Leans"

"My aunt owns this car I like it because it is big. I dont because it leans when you turn"

Very poorly built i.e. electronics @ mechanicals

By on Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Pros: "comfortable and handles OK when working"

Cons: "electronic nightmare and very expensive to fix."

"2000 Ml320 is the a real disappointment. this in terms of safety and in upkeep. Constant failure of electronics, door locks, rear lift gate lock etc and etc. Have owned varies other MB series. All very long lived. Very reliable. Not this class and can't wait to get rid of once my mechanic is done with present fixes."

One of poorest engineered vehicles in relibility

By on Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Pros: "comfortable and handles well"

One of poorest engineered vehicles in relibility

By on Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Pros: "comfortable and handles well"

My third ML...

By on Thursday, April 18, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, safe and good-looking"

Cons: "Brake switches, window switches, CD changer"

Nice-looking ML320, but the flaws are too many to mention at one sitting.

"I'm sure you have heard of the phrase "nothing runs like a (John) Deere when it runs..." Well, that's how I feel about my 2000 ML320. Very comfortable vehicle; very utilitarian, and my dogs love the freedom of having the entire rear seat area to themselves! Still, I purchased the vehicle (now my third ML) with 99,900 miles and ever since I seem to sink about $500 to $1,500 in repair bills into this beast each year, now my 4th. Some of it, like brakes and batteries I can understand. However, the never-ending brake switch issues and window switch problems drive me nuts! They're both good for about a year before you're heading back to the mechanic for new ones. They're either poorly designed or simply cheap parts ... probably both. It's imperative that you find a mechanic who isn't employed by a Mercedes-Benz dealership if you're going to own the vehicle beyond its warranty period. The repair bills are real and they will give pause to why anyone would own such an SUV. But, as I noted in the outset of this review, when my ML320 runs, I truly enjoy driving it. My bank account, however, would beg to differ."

Nice-looking ML320, but the flaws are too many to mention at one sitting.

Built like a tank

By on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pros: "Build quality, reliability, power, ride comfort"

Cons: "Dealer service backup and costs."

"ML500. This is one of the best cars I have owned. Solidly built. Excellent reliability and performance. I have owned it for almost 6 years and has been my workhorse. I wish all cars were built like this."

Runs better than when purchased.

By on Saturday, November 10, 2012

Pros: "Drive to Maine from Florida each year, great ride"

Cons: "CD player location"

"I have never used anything but synthetic oil. I get 23-25 MPG. No oil consumption between 7,000 mile oil changes. 18 mpg around town. There is definitly an advantage to using 93 octane fuel. Only fault I have, is I wish the CD player could hold more than 6 discs or the player was more accessable. Only major repair happened a few weeks ago, that was a water pump."

A long lasting vehicle

By on Saturday, October 13, 2012

Pros: "Good off road. Good on road. Sunrood does'nt leak."

Cons: "Brakes, AC, window switches, door locks."

"Where do I start? I got this car used from my mom who then purchased a ML350. I tried to get her to buy a Lexus RX350, which by all accounts is a more reliable car. But she sticks to her Mercedes regardless of information. While she owned what is now my ML320, every flaw that this car is known for came to pass. And, as has been the case with many other ML owners, the dealerships did not back up the part failures. Many people have sued their dealerships and MB for this reason (check out the blogs). Right from the outset, the fuel gauge sending unit did not work properly. The dealership was able to talk her out of getting this repaired as it is so expensive to do. So I inherited that problem. All 4 brake rotors had to be replaced along with pads before 25K miles. I understand this is usually the case as the rotors are very soft. Then the whole ac system had to be replaced before 40K miles. Another common problem. Then the door locks. Then some electronic fuel device failed leaving her stranded. Then she sold the car to me cheap at about 125000 miles. She got a ML350 and has already replaced the entire ac system and the brake rotors, all before 25K miles. Since I have owned the car the door locks have failed, the window switches have failed (front and rear). Mercedes should give away the window switches due to common failures, but they try to even get out of warranty service. I now have 230,000 miles on the car. I used it to commute 80 miles a day. Runs perfectly. Many cars would be worn out at this point. No rattles or squeaks. Motor very strong. I no longer off-road it because there is a loud clunk in the transfer case upon hard acceleration. It could be the beginning of the end, as I will not repair it. WE usually get about 300K out of our MBs. Mom has had several expensive issues with her ML350 such as worn out wheel bearings, AC, breaks. Needless to say, I think the ML series is one of the worst products MB ever made. My dad was a collector of MB, so I have seen more than my share, most of them being very long lasting and well built cars. MB missed the boat with this SUV, and sent them out to market in a hurry without outfitting them with quality parts."

After 11 years 183000 Miles, excellent. I love it!

By on Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Pros: "Powerful, mechanically reliable, spacious, comfy."

Cons: "17 MPG with 5.0 L engine."

"Other than the high gas consumption of this 5 liter monster, it is still driving and as comfy as new. Very mechanically reliable, and very powerful. I also love the space inside and the 3rd raw seats option. I'll keep it for as long as it runs!"

Loved this car!

By on Saturday, September 08, 2012

Reason: traded on a new one

Pros: "Nothing stops this car; rain, snow or off roading"

Cons: "Didn't have the options of the new ones."

"This car was what I expected a Mercedes to be; quiet, incredible in snow, mechanically reliable, luxurious, easy to clean carpet - just wipe it out the door with a microfibre cloth. The only issues we had were a dead battery and dead regulator. The service was incredible with free service to 40,000 miles - covered everything from wipers to oil and filters. This car made me feel special every time I got into it."

Best and Safest Car I've ever owned!!

By on Sunday, April 22, 2012

Pros: "safe, reliable, lots of perks"

Cons: "takes premium gas only"

"I was most impressed with my car when taking it in for a tune up the German mechanic was raving about how great and safe the car was. This only made me that much more proud about my car. I also found out that despite what I thought my car with normal tune ups can run FOREVER!! I later found out that a lot of ML320 owners have well over 200,000 miles on their car. I love the room, how safe I feel while driving my kids, and the classiness this car brings!"

Kept it for 12 years - best car I've owned.

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "A comfortable work horse."

Cons: "Air conditioning went out after 11 years."

"This is the longest I've ever owned a vehicle. Drove it from San Francisco to Alaska"

See if you qualify for