• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class

8.0

Based on 164 Ratings for the 2007 - 2012 models.

LOVE my GL - wish it was a tiny bit bigger

By on Saturday, December 28, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, well appointed, great looking"

Cons: "Expensive maintenance"

"I love this car! I bought it in February 2010 with about 40000 miles on it and I added an extended warranty to 100,000 miles. I didn't buy it brand new because at the time my three kids were all under the age of four so I didn't want them to ruin a brand new one! I now have just under 70,000 miles and haven't really had a major issue yet. Aside from regular maintenance I've only had it in for a couple minor issues (ALL covered under warranty). The only one I specifically remember was the motor on the back door started malfunctioning so they replaced that and one of the air shocks (I think that's what it was called) had a leak so they replaced that as well. My only complaint in this model year is that the nav system isn't as great as the newer ones and it isn't really all that great if you're searching for POI's. I literally sometimes get a location that is hundreds of miles away even thought I know for a fact there's a location within 10 miles. In case you're thinking I may need to update my nav disk, that's not it. I bought a new one about a year ago. The only complaint I really have is that maintenance is expensive. Regular maintenance visits are several hundred dollars - pretty close to $1000. The other thing is that these cars are heavy and they go through tires MUCH quicker than I'm used to. They told me that when I bought it, but it still hurts. I just put new ones on for the second time and it runs about $1500. That's right - for the second time in 30,000 miles. All of this said, I really do like this car a lot. It's comfortable and even the third row is tolerable for me (I'm 5'7). I wouldn't want to be back there for a cross country trip, but when my mother in law is in town I always somehow wind up in the back somewhere (that's a whole saga in itself….) Anyway, that's about it. I'm just starting to look for a replacement - more because my husband thinks I need a new car. I'm perfectly happy in my car and since my boys are getting bigger I'm considering a larger SUV (maybe an Infiniti QX56 or Q80), but since I'm losing the 5 point harness car seat in late 2014, I may just stay in the same size car and therefore I'm seriously considering a 2013 or 2014 GL."

Great SUV, purchased in 2007, it is a 2008.

By on Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pros: "Great Mileage, holds road even in snow, towing."

Cons: "Dealers that want to upsell you everything."

"Purchased in 2007, a 2008 model, great gas mileage, have gone across country multi times. Most recent from TX to CA. Handles well, turning is excellent, holds road at high speeds. Does well off road in sand, and on highway. Only problem have been Dealers that don't know what they are doing. One in CA, did not tighten oil cap,and oil blew all over engine. Cost then $400.00 to clean engine. I have towing package and all bells, whistles, keyless entry..great..never lose a key. One does need to find a good dealer, if serviced properly no problems. Would purchase this vehicle again. Diesel cost more, but mileage is much better. If you consider the mileage vs. other gas SUV, it is almost double. Best mileage on a trip was 30.4 MPH. Usual 28.7MPH. Skid plates are great for off road. Power, comfort, good MPH, safety. Just get a good Dealer and you will love this SUV."

The ultimate road car

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Excellent car for long road trip with 2 or more"

Cons: "Eats tires"

"I have owned my 2007 GL450 since March 2009. We drive over 200 miles round trip to the lake each weekend and generally drive from Dallas to East coast once or twice a year with 4 average size adults. Everyone is comfortable and the ride is excellent. I have replaced tires more than I expected but otherwise no complaints at all after 3 years of ownership."

SUV features and drives like a sports car.

By on Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable for long trips. QUIET."

Cons: "Real leather isn't an option."

"All around satisfied. Except for 2 issues. #1. The stock tires don't last more than 25K miles. Plan on spending over $1K to replace and you have limited options. Hankook is your best option with guarantee. #2. Mercedes doesn't hold it's value as much as Mercedes likes to tout. It is a great quality car, few if any maint. issues, comfortable drive -- but depreciates just as fast as other cars. The real win is if you keep it over 7 years...then you see a difference."

Great vehicle

By on Monday, September 26, 2011

Pros: "Great to drive great mileage 19-20 around town 22-27 on highway"

"Great handling no power loss on mountains. Up mountain passes greater then 10500 feet. Very comfortable Plenty of room"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz GL-Class near Honolulu. See local deals