2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class

8.0

Based on 164 Ratings for the 2007 - 2012 models.

Nice to drive but costly to maintain

By on Wednesday, October 31, 2012

"I bought my GL320CDI new in November of 2007. It is quiet, comfortable, and nice to drive. However, it is very costly to maintain. M-B ownership comes at price, in general. Oil changes are $300 by the time that you get out of the shop. And that is a cheap visit. I have had glow plugs fail, a glow plug controller fail, and transmission slip. The transmission was out of warranty and almost cost me $6,000, but I got it in to the shop in time, so I spent $800 instead. And it has never towed a thing!! Had issues with the engine running rough which was due to a clogged filter in the exhaust system. I was originally quoted $2500 to repair/replace filter, until dealership found out it could be cleaned. Was happy to spend $300 or so for that. Tires are a pain too because they are high performance tires that last 24,000 miles, if you are lucky. There have been lots of little things fail too: door handles, rear door lock, etc. Most of the little stuff happened under warranty. Bigger stuff happened out of warranty. I even had a power steering line blow. Come to find out that the clamp that was used on one of the high pressure hoses was a recalled part from the M-Series from 2002 or so. No one had an explanation for how that part even got onto the GL. Overall, car is nice to drive, but a maintenance pig."

A Lemon

By on Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Pros: "Looks and feels nice, solid"

Cons: "Too expensive to maintain"

"We bought this car certified pre-owned about two years ago. Seven months after the extended warranty ran out, we had to pay $5000 for a new steering rack. Now, three months after that, the Check Engine light comes on, and we have to pay another $3000 for a new thermostat and intake manifold, not to mention that we apparently need new brakes, spark plugs, boot, and air filters. Maintaining this car is really breaking the bank."

Many Things to Love but Too Costly to Maintain

By on Friday, August 09, 2013

Reason: Too $$$$

"I drove the GL550 for 5 years and 98,000 miles, would have traded it in for a new one but... From mile 1 to mile 48,000 it was great. A few minor issues, all covered by the warranty. Maintenance was expensive, about $1200-2000 each time in, mainly because of the $600 tires (yes, $600 a tire). From 48,000 to 98,000 the car cost us $18,000 in repair costs. It was in the shop every 3-5 months. I loved many things about this SUV, drove beautifully, great size-fitting my family of 5 well, looked great, luxury features. We ultimately settled on a more reliable car for our trade in. If you decide on this model, buy the extended warranty!!"

Very expensive to maintain

By on Monday, November 19, 2012

Pros: "Very well made"

Cons: "Run flat tires stink, Blue tec is expensive,"

"I have owned this car for three years and love driving it and have had no problems. The only problem with this SUV is the tires and the cost of maintenance. It has run flat tires and they are terrible. If you have a flat it is very difficult finding a tire in less than a week. You cannot carry a spare because of the blue tec system. The dealer will sell you the blue tec fluid for 5 times what is cost at the VW dealer.Having a diesel does not save any money because of the tire maintenance and the blue tec. I will not buy another GL 350 CDI again."

Great mileage and open road comfort

By on Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Pros: "Mileage Range > 600, Power, Flexibility, Safety"

Cons: "Slow starts, large blind spots, front seat comfort"

"I bought the MB GL 350 Bluetec for it's diesel option and 7 passenger seating. I was also swayed by the brand, safety rating and mileage claims. My daily commute is 22 miles one-way and generally involves 5 miles of surface roads, the rest on highways with some gradual hills. I generally get 26 mpg going to work and 24 mpg returning. I have reviewed my trip odometer multiple times since purchase and have always found that mixed driving nets about 22.8 mpg (usually 1000 miles before clearing the data) of which I often will have some intermittent fun with using the diesel to pass and start. It is a bit sluggish off the line but makes up for this in passing, especially on hills. I like the seats but my former BMW X5 with comfort seat package has left me yearning for that level of perfect adjustment. One point to make is that the second and third row seating in the MB blows the BMW X5 seating out of the water. The MB GL 350 needs side view cameras and needs to include (not as an option) backup sensors and front sensors. There is difficulty clearing blind spots and this is a daily safety concern. The 600 w Harmon Kardon sound is excellent. Love the push button fold-down third row seating. This SUV is not too bad off road. Despite AWD, the run flats are expensive summer tires and not ice friendly. Overall, I would buy the MB GL 350 Bluetec again if MB would offer it with better driver and front passenger seating (i.e., thigh support, better lumbar support)."

Best vehicle I have ever owned!

By on Monday, August 13, 2012

"I have owned Yukon XL; Lincoln Navigator; Range Rover. This is simply the best SUV out there! Rides like a luxury vehicle , but yet can carry 7 in comfort. Including the 3rd row passengers! Only reason not a ten, is the navigation. MB should team with Garmin!"

love my car

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pros: "drives great, holds its value well, safe"

Cons: "wish it had captains chairs in second row."

"This is my second GL. I had a 2007, now a 2008. Have had a few problems. 1-I think it is the fuel pump. car didn't want to start bc fuel wasn't getting to the proper place, it was replaced under warranty. 2- rattling sunroof that drove me crazy- got fixed after 6 or so trips to the dealer 3-SOS system was not locating me, had that fixed All have been fixed Have been through multiple visits for problems bc i believe the mechanics do things quick and don't take their time. after i had fuel pump replaced, a week later it the hose came loose and exploded fuel all over the place. They had to tow it and reconnect the hose long story short, love the car, but repair shop has been a pain in the rear! I was also in a bad head on collision that left me alive! I believe that it is a safe car! the car received $22000 in damage, i had whiplash and a concussion. Wish this car had captains chairs in 2nd row. entering 3rd row is a pain in the rear. however, 3rd row is quite spacious compared to other suv's"

Brakes and Tires

By on Monday, November 08, 2010

"We purchased this SUV for the look and power. If anyone would have told me that it eats tires and brakes like a PIG, I would never have believed it. 100,000 miles and on 4th set of brakes and tiers. Now the rack sterring has broke ($3500.00 to fix). My wife drives this SUV and I drive Range Rover. Take Range Rover hands down over this SUV. Look around before you buy this truck. If you are ok with repair bills, then this is the truck for you."

This is by far one of the best cars I have owned

By on Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Pros: "navigation system, Comfortable Leather, fun"

Cons: "A little bulky but not really"

"Before I purchased my GL-450 i had a Lexus RX-350 which was a mistake because of the constant problems because of the lack of quality. Anyway, My GL-450 for my family and I has been the perfect fit. For long drives it is very comfortable even without the Premium Package and the easy third row, My previous car also had a third row but it was hard to access and not comfortable. It has a lot of storage space. This car has a lot of great features and good highway miles. Over all this is a great car"

Fantastic SUV size with amazing mpg - hi 20's

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pros: "mpg, comfort, fit and finish, room, drive"

Cons: "diesel fuel pumps - see complete review"

"I've owned several full size SUV's with room for family and friends. MPG has always been the downsize, generally averaging in the mid teens. Driving the vehicle you would never know it was a diesel.... power, performance, handling, no truck sounding diesel here, no dirty diesel here. Great Car. The only con I have is filling up with diesel is often dirty - most diesel owners are truck owners that use their vehicles for labor type jobs. The pump's are dirty (we even keep gloves in the car). I do see this changing as more diesel luxury cars entering the US market"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz GL-Class near Honolulu. See local deals