• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2009 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class

8.0

Based on 164 Ratings for the 2007 - 2012 models.

Not the Quality I expected

By on Monday, September 03, 2007

"I have owned this car for a year now. The first 1500 miles the vehicle had been into the dealership twice. I've had an axle replaced, all brake pads and rotors, and an air bag sensor replaced. Each trip to the dealer is 300 miles one way and I have to have a loaner car each time for at least two weeks. My brakes still make a horrendous noise, very embarrassing. The front end makes a lot of racket when stopping slowly and slowly going over small bumps. I've like my loaner vehicles better than this one and I can hardly wait until I can get rid of it. What a dissappointment! On the plus side, it has a very smooth ride and is comfortable on long road trips. It also has a lot of power. But the negative aspects, in my opinion, outweigh the pluses."

Beautiful SUV

By on Thursday, May 24, 2007

"I went from a 2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer to the 2007 MB GL450. Wow, what a vehicle! More power than most folks need and the quietest ride I've ever been in. The seats are comfortable, although for $50K, you'd expect leather seats (leather seats are an option). I also expected the memory seats to be linked to the key, like my Ford had. There are memory seats, but you have to press a button on the side of the seats; it should go off of the key. The 3rd row is adequate, but you can only load from the passenger side of the vehicle."

High Maintenance, Horrible customer Service

By on Thursday, January 09, 2014

Pros: "Nice interior, great cruise control, nice ride."

Cons: "breaks a lot, bad cust. svc, unworkable nav system"

"Had this car for under a year when the problems started - nothing that big, just little things like headlights going out (3 times) or check engine and other warning lights coming on. We'd take it to the dealer, and they'd take care of the problem, but it got to be a hassle to take it in so often. Then, almost exactly at 4 years / 35k miles, just when the warranty ran out, we got several oil leaks, as well as other, very expensive problems. Tried to talk to MB customer service but they would not return our (repeated) calls for weeks - outrageous for a car of this supposed caliber and a company that supposedly prides itself on excellence. All in all a horrible experience with Mercedes, and one I haven't had with Porsche, Lexus, BMW, and various other cars. I've since talked to friends and they've had similar bad experiences with their Mercedes. I will not buy one again."

And The List Goes On...

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2008

"We have had a list of problems with this vehicle, from the gas gauge not working (which left us stranded on the side of the road) sunroof opening and shutting on it's own, windows not working properly, bluetooth keys sticking, side mirrors not working, replaced tires 1 time at only 18,000 miles and the list goes on...."

problems with bells and whistles

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

"I have owned this vehicle for 7 months. It has been in the shop for 3 times due to small "bells and whisle" problems. I travel 150 miles one way to the dealer and everytime I take it in I have to come back when the part comes in. Last time I took it in it was to repair the driver window, well on the way home I noticed that the other instruments on that door panel now do not work. Parking sensors just malfunctioned today. What's in store for tomorrow???? Other than small things everything else is wonderful with the car. I just wish the dealer was closer."

Overpriced Poor Quality

By on Sunday, October 27, 2013

Cons: "Poor quality"

"This is my 3rd Mercedes. Quality and customer service are images of the past Mercedes-Benz. I have religiously serviced this vehicle and taken care when driving. After numerous mechanical problems and thousands of dollars in repairs, I will never purchase another M-B product. Replaced transfer case, front struts, etc, etc. Service manager tried to get M-B to help with cost of transfer case failing after 80K miles, to no avail. They just don't build them like they used to."

awesome

By on Friday, November 11, 2011

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "tires"

"My only complaint is that I have 60k on truck now and will be putting on my third set of tires, replace every 20k and the tires are not cheap ($1400.00) other then that my wife loves the truck and have had no problems at all with it. Will be buying another one soon."

2008 GL320

By on Sunday, July 10, 2011

Pros: "Gas mileage, great to drive, love the look of the SUV"

Cons: "Very expensive, bad navigation"

"I bought the GL320 2 yrs old, with 25k miles and CPO. I would never buy it new, it's way too much money, but I feel like I got a good deal used. I've only driven it a little more than 10k miles, but love just about everything about it. I really like the way it looks and drives. I love that it's a diesel but doesn't smell and spit out black fumes. I love having the ability to carry 5 kids if I had to. I've had it in once for an oil change/maintenance, a warranty shock replacement and once to change a headlight. I usually get about 26mpg on the highway, and 21 mpg around town which can't be beat for a 7 passenger SUV. I am amazed at how un-user friendly the navigation is, the engineers obviously never used a Garmin!"

Be Warned

By on Saturday, February 02, 2008

"I have owned this vechicle for 18 months. Seems like every time I drive it there is something not working properly. After a couple of days at the dealer things are better for a while. Then its time for service. Expect $400-$500 for regular service(oil change).Mercedes says to just expect the brake noise there is nothing they can do about it. High price does not equal high quality."

2011 GL350 bluetec

By on Sunday, February 24, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, quiet, space, fuel mileage"

Cons: "Nav system, run flat tires"

"This is our second GL. We have owned it since September 2010. Our previous GL was a 2008 GL 320CDI. This is by far one of the best cars that you can own. We have loved both of our GLs and would only get the diesel. Lower initial our purchase , better resale, and awesome fuel mileage. My two biggest complaints with the 2011 are the nav system (Mercedes issue same on my 2011 E cabriolet too) and the run flat tires. They are required because bluetec prevents spare. We were told that we were very lucky to get 28,000 miles out of ours. It was $2,400 for four titles installed. MB should be embarrassed for using a second rate product on one of their premier vehicles. Other than that love the vehicle. Looking to get a 2014 in the fall. Love the new style"

Loves the Mechanic

By on Tuesday, September 29, 2009

"This SUV loves the local dealership so much it requires a visit with a new problem every six months. Since we bought this SUV brand new we have had nothing but problems. It goes into the dealership again today with electrical issues for the 3rd time. Best of luck with this SUV"

Great vehicle

By on Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Pros: "handling, visability from drivers position"

Cons: "gas milage, tailgate window doesl not open"

"Only negative is gas milage. Had Tahoe's and Yukon's prior to this, the GL450 is a far better vehicle. Just had a rental Yukon and the difference is off the charts."

Classy & Sporty Soccer Mom Car!!!

By on Thursday, March 05, 2015

Pros: "fun to drive, reliable, really good on long trips."

Cons: "navigation for this model is not voice command"

Needs a new home!

"I love this truck! It looks like a monster of a machine but drives as smooth as a sedan!! During the day it was my grocery shopping car, my drive the kids & their friends to the mall car, my soccer, ballet, baseball game car and my family day car. I've even driven it ON the beach down the shore of NC. Amazing! When weekends came... I would wash all the gunk from inside and outside the truck from all of my daily chores and kids hobbies. After a wash it turns into a (pumpkin) sleek, classy, and shiny. Awesome girls night out truck! Kids are all grown up and I am heart broken to downsize. -__- The most reliable car ever!"

Needs a new home!

Its ok a best!

By on Monday, March 24, 2014

"Not worth the $$$! Numerous things have broken inside the vehicle. The acceleration from a complete stop has left me panicked more than once. It is very delayed! You must ezzzz onto the accelerator, I have been told. Well sometimes that just isn't the situation...The expense of servicing this vehicle is outrageous. Especially when you drop off your vehicle and they say "oh this is a minor service" Then you pick it up to pay "only" $500 or $600. Major services run $1500 or more. Tires are also a crazy expense for this car."

excellent

By on Sunday, July 20, 2014

Pros: "great drive"

"Love engine sound love handling love space look awesome. Oh man what else? All goodies."

It's "OK"

By on Friday, October 31, 2008

"It's all Mommy (bummer). It looks like a truck but it's not. Coming from an Expedition, to a Land Rover LR3 to this diesel "wagon", the only advantage it offers is gas milage and it's fantastic. I'm averaging 21 mpg city/hwy combo vs the Land Rovers 13.7 mpg. Other than that, the Rover wins. The electronics are overkilll. I hate the power tailgate, transmission, and backup sensors. The navigation system is slow and the map is inferior to both Fords. This thing will pull a house off it's foundation but won't win a race. It's comfortable but less than the Rover. I've had no problems but there are some electronic ghosts (sunroof reopens when closing, navigation cleared all saved destinations, tailgate reopens after closing, etc.) It's a good vehicle but there are "good" for cheaper, the Expedition for example. If your about gas milage, fit and finish, and image, the 320CDI is for you, if not look to the domestics."

Worst Car I've Ever Had

By on Friday, July 18, 2008

"The 1st mo. I had the car it was in the shop for 3 weeks. For the front end system. Then 2 more times during the time I've had it. Brakes sqeak terribly. I have had the worst customer service in Annapolis, MD. Cost $500 for oil change. I have only 40,000 miles on it and had to put all new tires on it due to being a high performance car. Didn't know when I bought it, it used high test gast - cost over $100 to fill. I have had a Ford Expidtion for almost 10 years and I have not had any problems w/it. I thought I would get a better car for the cost of it. Totally disappointed in this car. Never another Mercedes."

The Real Deal

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Pros: "Quality, comfort, size"

"Does everything they say - excellent quality, fun to drive and excellent gas mileage for a heavy SUV - good value."

This is a great suv...

By on Monday, April 06, 2015

"Great power, easy to drive, will cruise at 100mph.... The diesel has extra power, great fuel, lots of power out of the hole. The wife drives it everyday... all day... no problems. Best SUV we ever had"

This is our 5th Benz the ride is great

By on Monday, December 08, 2014

Pros: "We in Germany now it's too big for these roads"

"We just sold or traded for the upgrades"

This car is, quite simply, too much.

By on Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Pros: "Seats 7 passengers comfortably."

Cons: "Requires frequent, extensive maintenance."

Go ahead. Laugh.

"• It's too big. All the rear-view cameras, parking sensors and computer-assisted hydraulics come to naught in the average big-city parking garage. My own garage requires a fiendishly difficult 90-degree turn--or more realistically, several turns, as I drive a few feet forward, spin the steering wheel to the left, back-up, forward, etc etc.,resulting in a row of dings along both sides of the exterior. I have found myself, more than once, in the absurd situation of being trapped in my own car in my own garage, unable to open my door. And don't count on all the computer DSR's and Dynamic-Something's off-road, either. Last winter, out in a cow pasture, the thing slid sideways down a 70-degree muddy embankment and into a tree. This was of its own accord, btw, driven by its own weight. (To be fair, I can hardly blame the engineers for this particular incident, as the car was parked with the engine off at the time.) • It uses too much gas. 14 mpg (premium fuel) is about the best it can do in the city, which bothers me. On the rare occasion I drive a straight 100 miles out on the highway, I may be able to stretch it to 18 mph. The monitor once flickered at 20.5 mpg for a few seconds--the holy grail. • Maintenance is a horror. If you live within walking distance of a Mercedes-Benz dealership and happen to carry $1000 cash around with you at all times, and have a multitude of friends and family you can call at any hour to come pick you up on some lonesome highway, you my friend, are the ideal GL-550 owner. I happen to live 100 miles from the nearest M-B dealership. (I know. What was I thinking?) Last summer, a flat tire--in my driveway--turned into a week-long ordeal. This car is, as far as I can tell, the only automobile in existence with 21-in. wheels--a Mercedes exclusive, perfect for when the rubber meets the Autobahn. Not so perfect for two-lane blacktops. As you can imagine, 21-inch tires can be a bit hard to come by. Special order, don't you know. A three-day wait, in my case, during which I was dependent on the kindness of the aforementioned friends and relatives to cart me around. Which is a bore. The 3-day sequester did give me time to, sort of, get over the fact that the price of this precious 21-inch tire--Pirelli and Continental are the two choices, one priced at around $20 less--is almost $1000. Times four if I'd replaced the other three, which, judged by their looks, are also not long for this world. In fact, $1000 seems to be the magic number. Everything on this car that can possibly break or require routine maintenance --from the tires, to fixing the electronic liftgate which sometimes opens, sometimes not, to anything to do with hydraulics (don't get me started), to an oil change, to replacing the plastic widgets that work the electric windows--which snapped and broke off like four acrylic fingernails the first time I tried to open the windows--costs $1000. Or more. Much more. The car, in the two years I've owned it, has never been in complete working order. Something. Always. Breaks. This month it's the hydraulics. The poor thing is listing to one side and rides like a tractor. I look like the Titanic coming down the road. • There is, I am sure, a market for 7-passenger SUV's with 4.8-liter V-8 engines and silky 7-speed automatic transmissions. It is a tiny market, which does not include middle-aged single men, and would appear to be populated by owners who don't really drive their own cars. Jennifer Lopez. Kim Kardashian. Movie stars. Cement ponds.... I felt like Kanye for a week or two after I bought it. Now I feel like Kanye's driver."

Go ahead. Laugh.

Nice car, solid and well built. Interior fabric ha

By on Tuesday, September 23, 2014

"Poor wear of MB Tex seating, already shredding. Technology and Music components out dated."

A Dream to Drive

By on Monday, July 30, 2007

"Drives more like a large, sporty sedan, and less like an SUV. Has the power to enter a fast-moving freeway with ease, yet floats down the road as if on a cloud. Very responsive braking, instant acceleration, great handling in emergencies, incredible suspension. Roomy interior, loads of headroom, great field of vision, easy to use controls. It is handsome enough to drive to the opera, and practical enough to haul a young soccer team and their gear, or all of your weekend projects. You will love this car. Quality and performance will win you over."

20K more expense than my Accrua,

By on Thursday, August 04, 2011

Pros: "nice looking"

Cons: "too expensive for the value it offers."

"but less safety equipments,the chairs are less uncomfortable, the navigation is a joke, the dealer are not very friendly and the service department are terrible... I do love the diesel engine though, and this is my second MB diesel ."

LOVE my GL - wish it was a tiny bit bigger

By on Saturday, December 28, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, well appointed, great looking"

Cons: "Expensive maintenance"

"I love this car! I bought it in February 2010 with about 40000 miles on it and I added an extended warranty to 100,000 miles. I didn't buy it brand new because at the time my three kids were all under the age of four so I didn't want them to ruin a brand new one! I now have just under 70,000 miles and haven't really had a major issue yet. Aside from regular maintenance I've only had it in for a couple minor issues (ALL covered under warranty). The only one I specifically remember was the motor on the back door started malfunctioning so they replaced that and one of the air shocks (I think that's what it was called) had a leak so they replaced that as well. My only complaint in this model year is that the nav system isn't as great as the newer ones and it isn't really all that great if you're searching for POI's. I literally sometimes get a location that is hundreds of miles away even thought I know for a fact there's a location within 10 miles. In case you're thinking I may need to update my nav disk, that's not it. I bought a new one about a year ago. The only complaint I really have is that maintenance is expensive. Regular maintenance visits are several hundred dollars - pretty close to $1000. The other thing is that these cars are heavy and they go through tires MUCH quicker than I'm used to. They told me that when I bought it, but it still hurts. I just put new ones on for the second time and it runs about $1500. That's right - for the second time in 30,000 miles. All of this said, I really do like this car a lot. It's comfortable and even the third row is tolerable for me (I'm 5'7). I wouldn't want to be back there for a cross country trip, but when my mother in law is in town I always somehow wind up in the back somewhere (that's a whole saga in itself….) Anyway, that's about it. I'm just starting to look for a replacement - more because my husband thinks I need a new car. I'm perfectly happy in my car and since my boys are getting bigger I'm considering a larger SUV (maybe an Infiniti QX56 or Q80), but since I'm losing the 5 point harness car seat in late 2014, I may just stay in the same size car and therefore I'm seriously considering a 2013 or 2014 GL."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz GL-Class near Honolulu. See local deals