2009 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class

8.1

Based on 167 Ratings for the 2007 - 2012 models.

Solid

By on Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pros: "utility, quiet, ride, power"

Cons: "electronics are a bit dated"

"We've owned our GL450 for almost a year and have a little over 12,000 miles on it. We had a minor glitch at the beginning with the navigation system, but it was quickly resolved, and the only other time in the shop was for the annual maintenance where a few minor issues were tweaked (burned out light bulbs, glitchy rear hatch). Overall, we've been very happy with this SUV. The ease and flexibility of going from an 8-seat vehicle to a 5-seat with enormous cargo capacity is great, and the ride strikes a nice balance between maneuverability and comfort. It's also the quietest car we've ever owned. The only negative I can think of is the electronics (e.g., navigation and voice command) are a bit dated compared to the competition."

I love my GL-450.

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "expensive tires and have issues w/tire pressure"

"The GL-450 is a great vehicle. I wish the gas prices had not risen the way they did because it takes a pretty penny to fill it up. Tires are extremely expensive for it, but overall I am extremely pleased."

Meets expectations

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

"owned this car since new in 2007. other than the standard maintenance have not had any issues. drives well both in the city and on the highway. Wish i had got the backup camera-this vehicle is large! Also not impressed with Mercedes and their slooowwwness to add things like usb ports, bluetooth, etc. Now that it is out of warranty, i'll be watching to see what starts to break."

Diesel rocks

By on Saturday, October 08, 2011

Pros: "Diesel, great gas mileage, large towing capacity"

Cons: "Too many sensors, expensive tires, gas cap issues"

"I own have owned this vehicle since new and I am on my 4th set of tires. The original factory tires lasts less than 15,000!!! Absolutely unacceptable. Only tire manufacturer is Parelli and these tires are extremely expensive. After 3 sets of Parellis I now have a set of Hankook tires and these are the best - reasonable in price, aggressive tread pattern, etc. As for the diesel engine, it is the only way to go. I get well over 600 miles per tank. I drive from Raleigh, NC, to NYC in one tank and I do not need to refill until I am in NJ where full service gas stations offer the cheapest gasoline (and diesel) in the Eastern US. Too many sensors on the vehicle is a curse and a blessing. Fuel filler cap does not close when the outside temperature is very high - another annoying fact. Otherwise a fine vehicle which is aging well."

Love the Diesel!

By on Wednesday, July 14, 2010

"My second GL 1st 320 08 is much better than 07 37k mi and no major problems excel gas mi mid 20's at 80mph and pulls boat easily, bad elect shift put it back on middle get rid of ash tray, seats hard! All around great suv and I have had them all!"

LOVE THE STYLE

By on Wednesday, November 18, 2009

"My husband bought me this SUV(GL-450) for Christmas last year and I LOVE IT. We have not had any problems with it. We have 3 kids and it has enough room for the 5 of us to be comfortable on long trips. It is very stylish and a head turner."

Gl320 2009

By on Friday, November 13, 2009

"first year and 10,000 miles. nothing wrong. everything works great. 27 mpg on trips. city shows 23 mpg. At this point nothing but praise. The ride and turning compares to nothing else I've driven, or owned in this class. Time will tell but off to a great start."

Solid Vehicle

By on Sunday, September 27, 2009

"Great Stile, Handling ok, Mercedes in and out, diesel very quiet. Most people would love to own this, but lacks big vehicle appeal. Way over priced. 23 to 27 mpg excellent. Long highway trips at 28-31 mpg."

By on Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"BY FAR THE BEST SUV AROUND ANY WEATHER SNOW DRY AND ANY AMOUNT OF RAIN POSSIBLE WE DROVE 70 MILES IN AN ABSOLUTE DOWNPOUR GOING 65-75 MPH THE 550 ATE THE ROAD NEVER SLIPPING AN INCH AND THE WIPER SYSTEM WAS BEYOND GREAT SO IF YOU TAKE LONG ROAD TRIPS THIS IS #1"

European SUV

By on Tuesday, January 27, 2009

"I've had my GL 320 CDI for 25,000 miles and no repair problems whatsoever. Gets 21 to 27 MGP. First tires wore out at 15,000 miles, due to 19" rims. The 19s are a rare tire without much in the way of off road tread, I would recommend the 18". The off-road lift is fun, you just need 18" off-road tires to have traction. The vehicle is happy puttering around town or Autoban fast crusing the hinterland. Love the sound system/navigation/blue-tooth phone. Nice integration. Drives like a Euro-sedan, mileage like a econo-box, great traction with constant 4X, eats tires a little too quickly. Still, a great ride. A little cramped compared to a huge US SUV, a little big compared to an E-class size sedan. I just wish tire makers would make more SUV-like tires (deeper tread, longer lasting compounds) on the 19" wheels."

Sweet ride

By on Sunday, January 25, 2009

"Without a doubt the finest car (suv) I've owned. I also have a BMW 740 and an X5. Better than both, and I love those cars."

best vehicle ever

By on Friday, December 26, 2008

"one of the best ride i ever had"

Great family car!!

By on Thursday, August 21, 2008

"We have had our GL for over a year now. I have only had to take it into the shop one time for a minor problem (which was covered in warranty). The performance of this vehicle has always been top-notch. It is, in my opinion, the prettiest SUV on the road. Lots of room for the kids, and the 3rd row of automatic seats has come in handy when I have to take their friends with me. The only problem I've ever had is that the tires make a whistling noise on some roads. My oil change was only $220 at a Mercedes Dealership (and only needs to be done every year or 13,000 miles). Lots of great features give you a true "luxury" experience!"

Gopher Vehicle

By on Friday, July 18, 2008

"I call this the "Gopher" vehicle because it is constantly going back to the dealership because it had "go for this, and go in for that" Everytime something is fixed, a new problem arises. Can't remember last time entire vehicle was in working order. Also, very expensive to fix. When working, the ride is good and the performance is excellent. Our Yukon we had prior to this was every bit as good as for ride and performance."

Weak & needs elec. enhancement

By on Friday, April 10, 2009

"1. Engine too weak, I would recommend the 550 instead. 2. Down/Up shifting with the two buttons on the wheel is the most cubersome idea I would have expected from Benz. 3. The Nav/Radio/CD systems are not intuitive. Plus according to Benz customer support, you can't turn off the radio. It is ON all the time, you can only Mute it! 4. Back seats straps are located way back for a child or an elderly to draw it, when they do, it does not draw back and will most certainly break when the passenger locks the door on it. Not a well thought off vehicle. A dissapointment from Benz."

25 times in shop

By on Sunday, August 16, 2009

"I purchased my GL 320 with 115 miles in May. During the 14 months I owned it, it was in the shop 25 times for repairs. I had the following items fixed or repaired: DVD, parktronic sensors, new struts, mystery oil lights, battery, computer upgrades, air temp sensor, hatch corrected, would not come out of gear, sideview mirror pivet replaced and this is only part of the list . We even had to take it to the shop while we were on vacation. We took a loss to get out of this car and avoid lawsuit. BTW, maintence is expensive. We paid about $450 each time and tires cost us about $1200. We were told that the tires last 15,000 miles. Look around at other cars before buying. You can get more for your money and more reliable."

2007 GL 450

By on Sunday, September 06, 2009

"Pros: - Drives like a cross-over with the size of a large SUV - Styling inside and out cannot be beat - Fun to drive, plenty of legroom in front, rear, and 3rd row Cons: - Navigation system is terrible, difficult to use and costs >$300 to keep maps up to date; better off using after-market GPS; in dash GPS display is helpful, if the GPS system finds your destination in the first place. - Electronics overall under-deliver for this type / priced car; also cause you a few trips to the dealership. - If you go with this car you will need to put up with the arrogance of the MB dealership at least twice a year. Advice: - If you need a car for 3 baby seats, this is not it; even with the third-row; save time and money and BUY THAT MINIVAN. - If you live any where near snow; this 4-matic SUV is useless without snow tires; buy them that's why you bought 4-matic - If you buy this SUV, plan on leasing or holding onto it for a while; its resale values aren't terribly great Bottomline: For style, performance, durability - this truck delivers... Along with all of this... it is a bit 'high maintenance', but that's ok."

worst car ever owned

By on Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Pros: "ride and comfort"

Cons: "reliability, poor service"

"The story begins with a silver 2008 Merc. GL320CDI. I bought it new in 2008 and had several problems. One that reoccurred over five times was that the power lift gate would not close properly and would drain the battery. It was determined that that car qualified for the lemon law in Virginia. My dealer let me pick from several gl cdi's and I ended up ordering a white one from Denver. When I received that one, I was hoping that it would be better; it was not. after one winter, there were several paint chips on the side that were filling with rust. they were hardly noticeable so I did not worry about them. At 2,500 miles the in car computer had to be totally replaced. At around 12,000 miles the gas gauge had broken and I ended up stranded on I-95. I had several more problems with the car. I also had problems with my dealership service facility. On several occasions they did not fix my problems and at one time i went to pick up the car and the engine cover was sitting in the back seat!!! THE BACK SEAT!!! That is absolutely insane. Also I paid over 60,000 bucks for that car and the loaners my dealership gives its customers are base toyota camry's!!! I ended up selling the second GL and bought an escalade. I love that car wayyy more."

Expensive does not mean quality

By on Sunday, March 01, 2009

"I had purchased this vehicle for a little over a yr now and it's been in the dealer shop for repairs for over 2 months. Called and complained to the rsvp about it b/c of the duration of the repairs and finally got my GL550 back and a week later something else is wrong w/it. Like the previous reviews, I seriously think these suvs are haunted. My gas gauge sensor is out of whack going from full to empty in mins (all caught on my phone camcorder while waiting in the drive thru at McDonald's). For the $90,000 price tag, it's not worth it. I hate bringing it in and getting a loaner b/c the loaner is never big enough to fit 2 car seats (for my newborn and 3 yrs old and), double stroller, 6yr son, and 5 yr nephew. They (the dealer) never seem to have bigger loaner cars! Thats why I spent that much money on a car with a 3rd row seat for a reason. I would never recommend anyone to purchase this car."

Great mileage and open road comfort

By on Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Pros: "Mileage Range > 600, Power, Flexibility, Safety"

Cons: "Slow starts, large blind spots, front seat comfort"

"I bought the MB GL 350 Bluetec for it's diesel option and 7 passenger seating. I was also swayed by the brand, safety rating and mileage claims. My daily commute is 22 miles one-way and generally involves 5 miles of surface roads, the rest on highways with some gradual hills. I generally get 26 mpg going to work and 24 mpg returning. I have reviewed my trip odometer multiple times since purchase and have always found that mixed driving nets about 22.8 mpg (usually 1000 miles before clearing the data) of which I often will have some intermittent fun with using the diesel to pass and start. It is a bit sluggish off the line but makes up for this in passing, especially on hills. I like the seats but my former BMW X5 with comfort seat package has left me yearning for that level of perfect adjustment. One point to make is that the second and third row seating in the MB blows the BMW X5 seating out of the water. The MB GL 350 needs side view cameras and needs to include (not as an option) backup sensors and front sensors. There is difficulty clearing blind spots and this is a daily safety concern. The 600 w Harmon Kardon sound is excellent. Love the push button fold-down third row seating. This SUV is not too bad off road. Despite AWD, the run flats are expensive summer tires and not ice friendly. Overall, I would buy the MB GL 350 Bluetec again if MB would offer it with better driver and front passenger seating (i.e., thigh support, better lumbar support)."

I got the lemon

By on Thursday, February 19, 2009

"We've had our GL450 for a couple of years. Seems we have had to take it in every couple of months. Latest problem was blowing one of the airbags in the suspension system. Blew up like a bomb and needed a $980 repair to fix it. We have continual problems with the ride. Have been through several repairs including new shocks more than once. We are looking to back to our previous style of vehicle."

EXPENSIVE TO OWN!!!

By on Sunday, April 19, 2009

"I finally got rid of my 2008 GL CDI. In the eight months I owned it it depreciated $22,000, I had 20,000 miles on it when I traded it for an AMERICAN S.U.V. In that time I had to perform two scheduled services @ $370.00 each (oil and "checking out the car"), and a new set of tires @ $1,600. (more if you decide to have more options at a 20" tire and better tire selections than that of the 19"). Had I kept it for the full year I would have spent nearly $6,000.00 in maintenance, almost $30,000. with depreciation, and over that should this "gem" have needed brakes. YOWZA!!!!! Think hard before you buy, particularly if you drive more than 10,000 miles per year. In all the years I owned my Ford Expedition, I never did anything but change breaks, tires, oil and filters, never coming close to this. For the record, I've had a number of fussy vehicles in my day (Porsche, Jag, Land Rover, BMW, etc.), but nothing like this."

Most unreliable vehicle I ever had

By on Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Reason: unreliable

"This is a wonderful vehicle to travel with. Very comfortable on long distances and, with it's large fuel tank and very good fuel economy stops can be made when you chose rather than when you have to. However, traveling becomes less fun when the car needs multiple visits to the dealer per maintenance cycle for broken sensors, ad-blue tank and pump failures, etc. And that is in addition to failing oil cooler seals and a steering rack that needed to be replaced. Very disappointing, especially since it is a Mercedes-Benz........"

LOVE my GL - wish it was a tiny bit bigger

By on Saturday, December 28, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, well appointed, great looking"

Cons: "Expensive maintenance"

"I love this car! I bought it in February 2010 with about 40000 miles on it and I added an extended warranty to 100,000 miles. I didn't buy it brand new because at the time my three kids were all under the age of four so I didn't want them to ruin a brand new one! I now have just under 70,000 miles and haven't really had a major issue yet. Aside from regular maintenance I've only had it in for a couple minor issues (ALL covered under warranty). The only one I specifically remember was the motor on the back door started malfunctioning so they replaced that and one of the air shocks (I think that's what it was called) had a leak so they replaced that as well. My only complaint in this model year is that the nav system isn't as great as the newer ones and it isn't really all that great if you're searching for POI's. I literally sometimes get a location that is hundreds of miles away even thought I know for a fact there's a location within 10 miles. In case you're thinking I may need to update my nav disk, that's not it. I bought a new one about a year ago. The only complaint I really have is that maintenance is expensive. Regular maintenance visits are several hundred dollars - pretty close to $1000. The other thing is that these cars are heavy and they go through tires MUCH quicker than I'm used to. They told me that when I bought it, but it still hurts. I just put new ones on for the second time and it runs about $1500. That's right - for the second time in 30,000 miles. All of this said, I really do like this car a lot. It's comfortable and even the third row is tolerable for me (I'm 5'7). I wouldn't want to be back there for a cross country trip, but when my mother in law is in town I always somehow wind up in the back somewhere (that's a whole saga in itself….) Anyway, that's about it. I'm just starting to look for a replacement - more because my husband thinks I need a new car. I'm perfectly happy in my car and since my boys are getting bigger I'm considering a larger SUV (maybe an Infiniti QX56 or Q80), but since I'm losing the 5 point harness car seat in late 2014, I may just stay in the same size car and therefore I'm seriously considering a 2013 or 2014 GL."

By on Thursday, March 19, 2009

"too many trips to the shop with misc issues."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz GL-Class near Honolulu. See local deals