"A cut above the rest. in a world where range rover is at every corner the G really stands out. It is a great car for the family and in the city. I feel comfortable knowing my 5 year old is riding in the back of this tank.
i have S550 as well. The G is luxorious but not luxory especially if you have an S class Benz."
"If you are looking for a vehicle that will truly go anywhere, and grab attention, this is the one. I drive a 2002 G-500 and even though it is almost 6 years old, it still steals the show - even gets more looks than lots of fancy sports cars. Plus, it holds its value. Gas mileage is not great, but what would expect from something made of steel. If you want great mileage, buy something made of plastic, like most other SUV's. If you want something that feels like a tank, get the G-500!"
"I have a 2004 G500 and i love everything about it. Yes it might seem a little expensive at first to maintain-but all of the part last a long time once you spend the money on it. The car is definitely built to last. I am still very happy with my g500 right now."
Pros: "Performance, Style, Fun, Unique, great off-road"
Cons: "price, window regulators fail, ac weak in back"
Likely to recommend this car? (1-10): 9
"I have a 2002 G wagon that I am just now finally going to be allowed to be pried away from me in order to get a newer one. The vehicle is among the most fun and satisfying to drive of any I have ever owned (a dozen plus cars so far) and I have kept it longer.
- Go anywhere, anytime any weather confidence in a vehicle that is perfectly acceptable for business meetings as well
- Feels different from any other car I've driven, more solid and capable, and decent handling and pickup considering that its a massive SUV weighing over $5K pounds
- Overall quality and reliability has been excellent, I have 120K miles on it with nothing more than regular dealer maintenance, no major failures
- More capable off road with stock rims and tires than my friend's "built" off road vehicles
- Distinct from all the other cookie cutter SUV's out there and UNLIKE a new rover, Escladade or GL is actually a hard-core off road vehicle - one trip on rough road in the others will blow out your poncey air suspension (speaking from experience)
- Rear AC is mediocre
- looks bigger outside than it is inside but still big enough, I'm a size 3xl
- Window regulators are a weak spot and often break, not ok in a $100K car
- the G's don't get the state of the art electronics that the S and GL class do - this is stupid on the part of Mercedes
HOW TO BUY
By a used one (ideally a lease return) from the Benz dealer that qualifies for "certified" status then pay for the extra FACTORY (not aftermarket) warranty that adds up to 3 years and UNLiMITED MILES to the originally warranty, this both saves you 30% on the price of a new one and gets you a perfect car with a better than new car warranty. I'm VERY picky about what I buy and Mercedes has beautiful lease return cars that have been driven gently all the time - the smartest option dollar for dollar on any MB car."
"This is the 3rd G-wagen I have: 1994, 2004, 2009 G55AMG. Total mileage I had on 1994 - 120000 mi, 2004 - 212000 mi and on 2009 now is about 100000 mi. Only minor problems. This is really one of the most reliable and fun to drive truck."
"Just bought the car a couple of weeks ago after salivating over every one I saw on the road. I have to say it's the coolest SUV out there, BUT THIS IS NOT AN EVERY DAY DRIVING CAR. The car is gangsta in the extreme but slamming the 500lb doors to get them shut and dealing with the rough ride is starting to get to me. But as a second or third car that you drive when you're feeling a little generic, this is a unsurpassed choice in terms of a cool ride."