"I have a 2004 G500 and i love everything about it. Yes it might seem a little expensive at first to maintain-but all of the part last a long time once you spend the money on it. The car is definitely built to last. I am still very happy with my g500 right now."
Pros: "Performance, Style, Fun, Unique, great off-road"
Cons: "price, window regulators fail, ac weak in back"
Likely to recommend this car? (1-10): 9
"I have a 2002 G wagon that I am just now finally going to be allowed to be pried away from me in order to get a newer one. The vehicle is among the most fun and satisfying to drive of any I have ever owned (a dozen plus cars so far) and I have kept it longer.
- Go anywhere, anytime any weather confidence in a vehicle that is perfectly acceptable for business meetings as well
- Feels different from any other car I've driven, more solid and capable, and decent handling and pickup considering that its a massive SUV weighing over $5K pounds
- Overall quality and reliability has been excellent, I have 120K miles on it with nothing more than regular dealer maintenance, no major failures
- More capable off road with stock rims and tires than my friend's "built" off road vehicles
- Distinct from all the other cookie cutter SUV's out there and UNLIKE a new rover, Escladade or GL is actually a hard-core off road vehicle - one trip on rough road in the others will blow out your poncey air suspension (speaking from experience)
- Rear AC is mediocre
- looks bigger outside than it is inside but still big enough, I'm a size 3xl
- Window regulators are a weak spot and often break, not ok in a $100K car
- the G's don't get the state of the art electronics that the S and GL class do - this is stupid on the part of Mercedes
HOW TO BUY
By a used one (ideally a lease return) from the Benz dealer that qualifies for "certified" status then pay for the extra FACTORY (not aftermarket) warranty that adds up to 3 years and UNLiMITED MILES to the originally warranty, this both saves you 30% on the price of a new one and gets you a perfect car with a better than new car warranty. I'm VERY picky about what I buy and Mercedes has beautiful lease return cars that have been driven gently all the time - the smartest option dollar for dollar on any MB car."
"This is the 3rd G-wagen I have: 1994, 2004, 2009 G55AMG. Total mileage I had on 1994 - 120000 mi, 2004 - 212000 mi and on 2009 now is about 100000 mi. Only minor problems. This is really one of the most reliable and fun to drive truck."
"When it was new, it gave Mercedes a bad name. Several minor problems put it in the shop repeatedly. Having driven it for almost six years, it has become more reliable. I have grown to love it and feel that it will pay for itself by lasting for ten plus years. It's styling is timeless although my wife says it is 'dated' and the kids call it a 'toaster'. Ride is rough, especially compared to my Navigator. But if you like turning heads, especially in the 'hood, this truck will do it."
"I bought the G500 instead of the Range Rover Supercharged, one of the worst decisions I've made yet. This car is far overrated, and it has constant mechanical problems. And the petrol mileage is wretched. Please, save yourself a regretful decision and buy the Range Rover."
"I had 2 weeks with this G550 and 900 miles,leaking oil!!!!!!!!! took it to the dealership and guess what!!!!!!!!!! This $106,000.00 needs the engine to be replaced!!!!!!!!!!! on a $100k car is unacceptable!!!!!!!!!! I WAS DRIVING A LEXUS AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT!!!! IF FEEL SO BAD FOR LETTING MY LEXUS GO TO GET THIS TRUCK!! BIG !!!!!!!!!!MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
"Only 2 weeks and 900 miles with this 2011 GWagon and already is in the dealership for repair!!!!(leaking oil thru some seals).It is not accetable for a $100k plus vehicle .Hopefully it gets better with time,I already miss my Lexus GX460 that never had any problems with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"