• 2014 Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2005 Mercedes-Benz G-Class

Based on 44 Ratings for the 2002 - 2014 models.

My G-500

By on Tuesday, November 10, 2009

"I bought 04 Mercedes G500 in 2006. It has been a great car on the road and off the road for the power. I would say it is more luxuries and security car rather than convenience and comfortableness. First of all, no one can leave the car unless driver unlocks the car so it is kinda annoying. Before when I bought this car, I was dreamed about this car and planned to buy it for a long time. It didn't disappoint me at all but when I take it to the off road I can hear some raddling nose on the back door. I took it to the dealership for repair and I found out it makes that kind of nose often and other customers also noticed it because extra tire on the back is too heavy for the door and when people take it to the off road it just started making a noise. It didn't cost me allot, they just have to strengthen the back lock but it was annoying for me to go back to dealership for this situation once or twice a month because I take the car off road allot and finally I took off the extra tire on the back and it stopped making a noise but then it looks so on the back without extra tire. It is a strong car, lovely car, chick magnet car and I have had several SUVs like Landcruiser, Lexus and Range Rover. It was the best of all but I guess it is because I liked it so much. Also it is not a soft car when you take it on the road and if you drive on the road for long hours like me, you will get tired of driving it after several hours. Specially when you take it to the long off road trip, it is hard and uncomfortable. I believe G500 is the one of the best SUV that Mercedes produce but I don't know why they don't upgrade the suspension system and the back lock problem. I heard this problem is passed on to 2005 - 2008 but I heard 2009 has more soft suspension but I haven't tried it yet, if it is true I would like trade my car for it. For the gas mileage, this car is super. it is not comparable to the V6 or V4 but it is a best for V8 car. It is a powerful, super fast car but gas mileage is low for V8 car. Overall, I loved my G500 and I would like to buy new version if they fixed the suspension and back door lock problems. i would recommend this car to someone who loves to drive tough, fast, powerful SUVs but if you are looking for comfortable, convenience, inexpensive car, pls don't buy."

Love my G Baby

By on Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"I have owned my 2002 G-Wagon for 6 months now and I love it. It gets a lot of attention, its a real eye catcher! I have had the same problem as many have mentioned with the window regulator. But besides that I love it!"

tt

By on Wednesday, May 13, 2009

"great car had it for 2 years ,..... best ever"

Bloody Horrible

By on Monday, March 09, 2009

"I bought the G500 instead of the Range Rover Supercharged, one of the worst decisions I've made yet. This car is far overrated, and it has constant mechanical problems. And the petrol mileage is wretched. Please, save yourself a regretful decision and buy the Range Rover."

Not an every day driver

By on Thursday, January 29, 2009

"Just bought the car a couple of weeks ago after salivating over every one I saw on the road. I have to say it's the coolest SUV out there, BUT THIS IS NOT AN EVERY DAY DRIVING CAR. The car is gangsta in the extreme but slamming the 500lb doors to get them shut and dealing with the rough ride is starting to get to me. But as a second or third car that you drive when you're feeling a little generic, this is a unsurpassed choice in terms of a cool ride."

Bad to the bone

By on Monday, December 22, 2008

"Remember its a bit of a rough ride, lots of power with a hand full of fun. luxury off road and eye cacher in the streets. family friendly but most important SAFE."

By on Tuesday, September 02, 2008

"The best SUV! The only competition is the Hummer H1 (the real one). The G55 by AMG is a fast performance SUV and the engine and 4 wheel drive system the best in the world. It is military grade and used by the army in both Norway and Switzerland. The Pope drives one and the Sheik of Dubai. There is a big difference between the G55 AMG and the standard G500. Go for the AMG if you can. As for gas mileage, forget about it. You buy a car to burn gas, not to save gas! God Bless America. The Freedom to drive what you want."

Solid!

By on Friday, August 15, 2008

"I've owned a 2004 G500 for 1.5 years now, purchased CPO from Mercedes, extended warranty. A true SUV, I am impressed with how solid it feels. Aside from niggly issues (battery replacement, window regulator acting up, drivers seat motor, all fixed under warranty) this thing runs and drives great. Not a squeak compared to the Toyota 4Runner I owned prior to this. Rain, snow, no problems, no sliding or skidding (see aformentioned 4Runner). The 5500 lbs. helps in this regard. Plenty of power, gas mileage is as expected for driving a brick down the highway. With proper maintenance I expect this to last a long time. Love the traditional styling. BTW, Mercedes service has been very good to me."

Urban Vault

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2008

"I waited a while before dropping the money on this 08 G55. My friends tried talking me out of it, since I had to do a special order. Said I should get the RR instead. Once I drove up they were speechless. Enough said. The day I drove it home, was the most fun I've had in sometime. This thing drives like a dream. Stomp on it and hear the roar of the AMG monster. It's a little rough on streets that are not smooth, but outside of that its been fantastic. I can't wait to take it off-road. It can go anywhere, and you'll feel like a million bucks. People complain about its gas milage, but, I say. That really good single malt scotch isn't quite as satisfying. Life's too short, to stress over the small stuff. Long live the G-Wagon!"

Dad's Toaster

By on Tuesday, May 06, 2008

"When it was new, it gave Mercedes a bad name. Several minor problems put it in the shop repeatedly. Having driven it for almost six years, it has become more reliable. I have grown to love it and feel that it will pay for itself by lasting for ten plus years. It's styling is timeless although my wife says it is 'dated' and the kids call it a 'toaster'. Ride is rough, especially compared to my Navigator. But if you like turning heads, especially in the 'hood, this truck will do it."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz G-Class near Honolulu. See local deals
See if you qualify for