Pros: "Absolute power, great retro look, tank like build"
Cons: "uncomfortable, high maintenance bills"
Likely to recommend this car? (1-10): 7
"I had this car for 6 years before I sold it. I can easily say it tops the list as one of the most powerful SUV's I have driven. It is based on a 30 year old design, but I think they follow the motto that goes: "if it ain't broken, don't fix it".
Engine sounds like a beast, and that is exactly how the car drives too. Absolutely stable for such a car of its size, that is also shaped like a brick.
Handling is surprisingly good, but the sell off is here. It is built like a tank, and is as uncomfortable as one. The suspension is so stiff, you will feel like you worked out after long drives. This car is very uncomfortable, don't let the Benz badge misguide you other wise.
The final painful part that pushed me to sell was the post warranty maintenance. You will see some bills that are relevant to the price of this car. Don't be shocked to get $5000 bills. I had to fix AC, Supercharger, and coils, the bills stacked up and it just made sense to sell the car than keep paying."
"This is the 3rd G-wagen I have: 1994, 2004, 2009 G55AMG. Total mileage I had on 1994 - 120000 mi, 2004 - 212000 mi and on 2009 now is about 100000 mi. Only minor problems. This is really one of the most reliable and fun to drive truck."
Pros: "Performance, Style, Fun, Unique, great off-road"
Cons: "price, window regulators fail, ac weak in back"
Likely to recommend this car? (1-10): 9
"I have a 2002 G wagon that I am just now finally going to be allowed to be pried away from me in order to get a newer one. The vehicle is among the most fun and satisfying to drive of any I have ever owned (a dozen plus cars so far) and I have kept it longer.
- Go anywhere, anytime any weather confidence in a vehicle that is perfectly acceptable for business meetings as well
- Feels different from any other car I've driven, more solid and capable, and decent handling and pickup considering that its a massive SUV weighing over $5K pounds
- Overall quality and reliability has been excellent, I have 120K miles on it with nothing more than regular dealer maintenance, no major failures
- More capable off road with stock rims and tires than my friend's "built" off road vehicles
- Distinct from all the other cookie cutter SUV's out there and UNLIKE a new rover, Escladade or GL is actually a hard-core off road vehicle - one trip on rough road in the others will blow out your poncey air suspension (speaking from experience)
- Rear AC is mediocre
- looks bigger outside than it is inside but still big enough, I'm a size 3xl
- Window regulators are a weak spot and often break, not ok in a $100K car
- the G's don't get the state of the art electronics that the S and GL class do - this is stupid on the part of Mercedes
HOW TO BUY
By a used one (ideally a lease return) from the Benz dealer that qualifies for "certified" status then pay for the extra FACTORY (not aftermarket) warranty that adds up to 3 years and UNLiMITED MILES to the originally warranty, this both saves you 30% on the price of a new one and gets you a perfect car with a better than new car warranty. I'm VERY picky about what I buy and Mercedes has beautiful lease return cars that have been driven gently all the time - the smartest option dollar for dollar on any MB car."