• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class

Based on 47 Ratings for the 2002 - 2015 models.

Great Power, Great Uncomfort

By on Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Reason: maintenace

Pros: "Absolute power, great retro look, tank like build"

Cons: "uncomfortable, high maintenance bills"

"I had this car for 6 years before I sold it. I can easily say it tops the list as one of the most powerful SUV's I have driven. It is based on a 30 year old design, but I think they follow the motto that goes: "if it ain't broken, don't fix it". Engine sounds like a beast, and that is exactly how the car drives too. Absolutely stable for such a car of its size, that is also shaped like a brick. Handling is surprisingly good, but the sell off is here. It is built like a tank, and is as uncomfortable as one. The suspension is so stiff, you will feel like you worked out after long drives. This car is very uncomfortable, don't let the Benz badge misguide you other wise. The final painful part that pushed me to sell was the post warranty maintenance. You will see some bills that are relevant to the price of this car. Don't be shocked to get $5000 bills. I had to fix AC, Supercharger, and coils, the bills stacked up and it just made sense to sell the car than keep paying."

lots of problems

By on Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Pros: "I liked driving it, but I like trucks...."

Cons: "to expensive to maintain...."

leaving for Florida....tears in my eyes...

"So...let's remember this is a truck. Mine was $70,000 when I bought it...I drove it for all these years...and now it is on its way down South for its 'golden years' Over the years I've put MUCHO money into it, which for that price of a car I shouldn't have had to do....The electric locks didn't work on some doors....the windows wouldn't go up and down on some windows...the underside had to be replaced...the windscreen wipers gave out during a rainstorm (not fun)....and inside the dash, when the temp. dropped below 25 degrees or so I was treated to a hum...yes, it sounded like a big bumblebee was in the car. I took it in numerous times but it was never solved...we 'think' it was the cables that got hard when it was cold and some air was rushing through, and it was like a gazoo. Getting in and out was a problem in the winter as the 'running board' is almost not there.(I'm not 76 so it was getting hard) ..so hold on when jumping up. Oh, and the transmission right now is in question....it is going down South, as I said, and my son-in-law wants to buy it....I will have him sign an 'as is' paper :) Soooo, now I'm driving a GLK Mercedes 2015 (which I would say is a women's Mercedes) ...which I do love, but there were tears in my eyes when they came to take my 500 G away..the man who delivered it to my daughter said he felt bad taking it as I was visibly upset..because even if I had all the problems I still loved it, as did my friends."

leaving for Florida....tears in my eyes...

Best Ever

By on Friday, July 25, 2014

Pros: "go any where, pull the boat, look"

Cons: "paint job"

"This is the 3rd G-wagen I have: 1994, 2004, 2009 G55AMG. Total mileage I had on 1994 - 120000 mi, 2004 - 212000 mi and on 2009 now is about 100000 mi. Only minor problems. This is really one of the most reliable and fun to drive truck."

I've kept my G longer than any other car

By on Thursday, July 03, 2014

Pros: "Performance, Style, Fun, Unique, great off-road"

Cons: "price, window regulators fail, ac weak in back"

"I have a 2002 G wagon that I am just now finally going to be allowed to be pried away from me in order to get a newer one. The vehicle is among the most fun and satisfying to drive of any I have ever owned (a dozen plus cars so far) and I have kept it longer. Why? - Go anywhere, anytime any weather confidence in a vehicle that is perfectly acceptable for business meetings as well - Feels different from any other car I've driven, more solid and capable, and decent handling and pickup considering that its a massive SUV weighing over $5K pounds - Overall quality and reliability has been excellent, I have 120K miles on it with nothing more than regular dealer maintenance, no major failures - More capable off road with stock rims and tires than my friend's "built" off road vehicles - Distinct from all the other cookie cutter SUV's out there and UNLIKE a new rover, Escladade or GL is actually a hard-core off road vehicle - one trip on rough road in the others will blow out your poncey air suspension (speaking from experience) CONS - Rear AC is mediocre - looks bigger outside than it is inside but still big enough, I'm a size 3xl - Window regulators are a weak spot and often break, not ok in a $100K car - the G's don't get the state of the art electronics that the S and GL class do - this is stupid on the part of Mercedes HOW TO BUY By a used one (ideally a lease return) from the Benz dealer that qualifies for "certified" status then pay for the extra FACTORY (not aftermarket) warranty that adds up to 3 years and UNLiMITED MILES to the originally warranty, this both saves you 30% on the price of a new one and gets you a perfect car with a better than new car warranty. I'm VERY picky about what I buy and Mercedes has beautiful lease return cars that have been driven gently all the time - the smartest option dollar for dollar on any MB car."

best benz ever made

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive especially in the snow"

Cons: "not great cup holders"

"you get a lot of attention with this vehicle"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz G-Class near Honolulu. See local deals