2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class

Based on 46 Ratings for the 2002 - 2015 models.

lots of problems

By on Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Pros: "I liked driving it, but I like trucks...."

Cons: "to expensive to maintain...."

leaving for Florida....tears in my eyes...

"So...let's remember this is a truck. Mine was $70,000 when I bought it...I drove it for all these years...and now it is on its way down South for its 'golden years' Over the years I've put MUCHO money into it, which for that price of a car I shouldn't have had to do....The electric locks didn't work on some doors....the windows wouldn't go up and down on some windows...the underside had to be replaced...the windscreen wipers gave out during a rainstorm (not fun)....and inside the dash, when the temp. dropped below 25 degrees or so I was treated to a hum...yes, it sounded like a big bumblebee was in the car. I took it in numerous times but it was never solved...we 'think' it was the cables that got hard when it was cold and some air was rushing through, and it was like a gazoo. Getting in and out was a problem in the winter as the 'running board' is almost not there.(I'm not 76 so it was getting hard) ..so hold on when jumping up. Oh, and the transmission right now is in question....it is going down South, as I said, and my son-in-law wants to buy it....I will have him sign an 'as is' paper :) Soooo, now I'm driving a GLK Mercedes 2015 (which I would say is a women's Mercedes) ...which I do love, but there were tears in my eyes when they came to take my 500 G away..the man who delivered it to my daughter said he felt bad taking it as I was visibly upset..because even if I had all the problems I still loved it, as did my friends."

leaving for Florida....tears in my eyes...

Best Ever

By on Friday, July 25, 2014

Pros: "go any where, pull the boat, look"

Cons: "paint job"

"This is the 3rd G-wagen I have: 1994, 2004, 2009 G55AMG. Total mileage I had on 1994 - 120000 mi, 2004 - 212000 mi and on 2009 now is about 100000 mi. Only minor problems. This is really one of the most reliable and fun to drive truck."

I've kept my G longer than any other car

By on Thursday, July 03, 2014

Pros: "Performance, Style, Fun, Unique, great off-road"

Cons: "price, window regulators fail, ac weak in back"

"I have a 2002 G wagon that I am just now finally going to be allowed to be pried away from me in order to get a newer one. The vehicle is among the most fun and satisfying to drive of any I have ever owned (a dozen plus cars so far) and I have kept it longer. Why? - Go anywhere, anytime any weather confidence in a vehicle that is perfectly acceptable for business meetings as well - Feels different from any other car I've driven, more solid and capable, and decent handling and pickup considering that its a massive SUV weighing over $5K pounds - Overall quality and reliability has been excellent, I have 120K miles on it with nothing more than regular dealer maintenance, no major failures - More capable off road with stock rims and tires than my friend's "built" off road vehicles - Distinct from all the other cookie cutter SUV's out there and UNLIKE a new rover, Escladade or GL is actually a hard-core off road vehicle - one trip on rough road in the others will blow out your poncey air suspension (speaking from experience) CONS - Rear AC is mediocre - looks bigger outside than it is inside but still big enough, I'm a size 3xl - Window regulators are a weak spot and often break, not ok in a $100K car - the G's don't get the state of the art electronics that the S and GL class do - this is stupid on the part of Mercedes HOW TO BUY By a used one (ideally a lease return) from the Benz dealer that qualifies for "certified" status then pay for the extra FACTORY (not aftermarket) warranty that adds up to 3 years and UNLiMITED MILES to the originally warranty, this both saves you 30% on the price of a new one and gets you a perfect car with a better than new car warranty. I'm VERY picky about what I buy and Mercedes has beautiful lease return cars that have been driven gently all the time - the smartest option dollar for dollar on any MB car."

best benz ever made

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive especially in the snow"

Cons: "not great cup holders"

"you get a lot of attention with this vehicle"

My favorite vehicle so far

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great off road"

Cons: "lack of cup holders, needs more back seat room"

"Great to drive, capable on any surface. I have the factory towing package and it pulls like my F350 when loaded below 7,000lbs. Great sound, great heritage rough but refined."

My 5 th G wagon and the best yet!!!!

By on Sunday, January 06, 2013

Pros: "Lane change assist, paddle shifters, engine sounds"

Cons: "I cup holder. Dash storage"

"Just a great solid safe dependable ride"

Awesome...

By on Monday, September 03, 2012

Pros: "safe, fast, fun to drive"

Cons: "cup holders, keyless go not standard"

"A cut above the rest. in a world where range rover is at every corner the G really stands out. It is a great car for the family and in the city. I feel comfortable knowing my 5 year old is riding in the back of this tank. i have S550 as well. The G is luxorious but not luxory especially if you have an S class Benz."

Love my G500

By on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pros: "This truck is a monster that everyone looks at!"

Cons: "It gets a very robust 9 mpg!"

"I bought my G500 last June. I love it. Maintenance is expensive, and so is the fuel, but if you can afford a G, you shouldn't complain. I will be a loyal G owner only trading up to a silver G55 :)"

Best

By on Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Pros: "Reliable!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Cons: "All the way down and driver's seat way too high!!"

"Reliable !!!!!!!!!!!!"

Excellent !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By on Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pros: "Look,power,reliability"

Cons: "Driving seat too high !!!!"

"So far very good truck !!!!"

This truck rules

By on Friday, September 02, 2011

Pros: "amazing in every way"

Cons: "cant upgrade the stereo to have ipod interface without going 3rd party"

"What more can i say. I own a few other cars and i never want to drive any of them more than i do this truck. Not to mention how well it tore up the 5 ft of snow we had last winter. best vehicle ever."

Worst vehicle ever

By on Monday, May 16, 2011

"I had 2 weeks with this G550 and 900 miles,leaking oil!!!!!!!!! took it to the dealership and guess what!!!!!!!!!! This $106,000.00 needs the engine to be replaced!!!!!!!!!!! on a $100k car is unacceptable!!!!!!!!!! I WAS DRIVING A LEXUS AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT!!!! IF FEEL SO BAD FOR LETTING MY LEXUS GO TO GET THIS TRUCK!! BIG !!!!!!!!!!MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Miss my Lexus!!!!!!!!!!!!

By on Thursday, May 12, 2011

"Only 2 weeks and 900 miles with this 2011 GWagon and already is in the dealership for repair!!!!(leaking oil thru some seals).It is not accetable for a $100k plus vehicle .Hopefully it gets better with time,I already miss my Lexus GX460 that never had any problems with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

My G500

By on Monday, May 02, 2011

"I have a 2004 G500 and i love everything about it. Yes it might seem a little expensive at first to maintain-but all of the part last a long time once you spend the money on it. The car is definitely built to last. I am still very happy with my g500 right now."

By on Thursday, April 21, 2011

By on Wednesday, January 26, 2011

By on Thursday, January 13, 2011

By on Monday, July 12, 2010

By on Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Great G500

By on Monday, March 29, 2010

"This truck is the safest, sturdiest, most luxurious vehicle I've been in (that includes many 4 door trucks, hummers, range rovers etc. Built solid. I owned a 1960's era mercedes sports car and this is made with the same quality...no plastic or fiberglass here! I get the feeling this truck will last 40-50 years if maintained. Only downside is it does ride a little rough...but hey, it's a truck!"

G500

By on Monday, January 04, 2010

"wonderful vehicle and head turner but the only complaint is that mercedes make a wonderful motor but everything else goes wrong small things malfunction like for example my window motors went out and now i am dealing with a right door modulator,but otherwise its a awesome brute beast"

By on Monday, December 14, 2009

My G-500

By on Tuesday, November 10, 2009

"I bought 04 Mercedes G500 in 2006. It has been a great car on the road and off the road for the power. I would say it is more luxuries and security car rather than convenience and comfortableness. First of all, no one can leave the car unless driver unlocks the car so it is kinda annoying. Before when I bought this car, I was dreamed about this car and planned to buy it for a long time. It didn't disappoint me at all but when I take it to the off road I can hear some raddling nose on the back door. I took it to the dealership for repair and I found out it makes that kind of nose often and other customers also noticed it because extra tire on the back is too heavy for the door and when people take it to the off road it just started making a noise. It didn't cost me allot, they just have to strengthen the back lock but it was annoying for me to go back to dealership for this situation once or twice a month because I take the car off road allot and finally I took off the extra tire on the back and it stopped making a noise but then it looks so on the back without extra tire. It is a strong car, lovely car, chick magnet car and I have had several SUVs like Landcruiser, Lexus and Range Rover. It was the best of all but I guess it is because I liked it so much. Also it is not a soft car when you take it on the road and if you drive on the road for long hours like me, you will get tired of driving it after several hours. Specially when you take it to the long off road trip, it is hard and uncomfortable. I believe G500 is the one of the best SUV that Mercedes produce but I don't know why they don't upgrade the suspension system and the back lock problem. I heard this problem is passed on to 2005 - 2008 but I heard 2009 has more soft suspension but I haven't tried it yet, if it is true I would like trade my car for it. For the gas mileage, this car is super. it is not comparable to the V6 or V4 but it is a best for V8 car. It is a powerful, super fast car but gas mileage is low for V8 car. Overall, I loved my G500 and I would like to buy new version if they fixed the suspension and back door lock problems. i would recommend this car to someone who loves to drive tough, fast, powerful SUVs but if you are looking for comfortable, convenience, inexpensive car, pls don't buy."

Love my G Baby

By on Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"I have owned my 2002 G-Wagon for 6 months now and I love it. It gets a lot of attention, its a real eye catcher! I have had the same problem as many have mentioned with the window regulator. But besides that I love it!"

tt

By on Wednesday, May 13, 2009

"great car had it for 2 years ,..... best ever"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz G-Class near Honolulu. See local deals