2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class

Based on 46 Ratings for the 2002 - 2015 models.

By on Thursday, January 13, 2011

By on Monday, December 14, 2009

By on Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Urban Vault

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2008

"I waited a while before dropping the money on this 08 G55. My friends tried talking me out of it, since I had to do a special order. Said I should get the RR instead. Once I drove up they were speechless. Enough said. The day I drove it home, was the most fun I've had in sometime. This thing drives like a dream. Stomp on it and hear the roar of the AMG monster. It's a little rough on streets that are not smooth, but outside of that its been fantastic. I can't wait to take it off-road. It can go anywhere, and you'll feel like a million bucks. People complain about its gas milage, but, I say. That really good single malt scotch isn't quite as satisfying. Life's too short, to stress over the small stuff. Long live the G-Wagon!"

This truck rules

By on Friday, September 02, 2011

Pros: "amazing in every way"

Cons: "cant upgrade the stereo to have ipod interface without going 3rd party"

"What more can i say. I own a few other cars and i never want to drive any of them more than i do this truck. Not to mention how well it tore up the 5 ft of snow we had last winter. best vehicle ever."

Love my G500

By on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pros: "This truck is a monster that everyone looks at!"

Cons: "It gets a very robust 9 mpg!"

"I bought my G500 last June. I love it. Maintenance is expensive, and so is the fuel, but if you can afford a G, you shouldn't complain. I will be a loyal G owner only trading up to a silver G55 :)"

Solid!

By on Friday, August 15, 2008

"I've owned a 2004 G500 for 1.5 years now, purchased CPO from Mercedes, extended warranty. A true SUV, I am impressed with how solid it feels. Aside from niggly issues (battery replacement, window regulator acting up, drivers seat motor, all fixed under warranty) this thing runs and drives great. Not a squeak compared to the Toyota 4Runner I owned prior to this. Rain, snow, no problems, no sliding or skidding (see aformentioned 4Runner). The 5500 lbs. helps in this regard. Plenty of power, gas mileage is as expected for driving a brick down the highway. With proper maintenance I expect this to last a long time. Love the traditional styling. BTW, Mercedes service has been very good to me."

Great G500

By on Monday, March 29, 2010

"This truck is the safest, sturdiest, most luxurious vehicle I've been in (that includes many 4 door trucks, hummers, range rovers etc. Built solid. I owned a 1960's era mercedes sports car and this is made with the same quality...no plastic or fiberglass here! I get the feeling this truck will last 40-50 years if maintained. Only downside is it does ride a little rough...but hey, it's a truck!"

Not an every day driver

By on Thursday, January 29, 2009

"Just bought the car a couple of weeks ago after salivating over every one I saw on the road. I have to say it's the coolest SUV out there, BUT THIS IS NOT AN EVERY DAY DRIVING CAR. The car is gangsta in the extreme but slamming the 500lb doors to get them shut and dealing with the rough ride is starting to get to me. But as a second or third car that you drive when you're feeling a little generic, this is a unsurpassed choice in terms of a cool ride."

My favorite vehicle so far

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great off road"

Cons: "lack of cup holders, needs more back seat room"

"Great to drive, capable on any surface. I have the factory towing package and it pulls like my F350 when loaded below 7,000lbs. Great sound, great heritage rough but refined."

My G-500

By on Tuesday, November 10, 2009

"I bought 04 Mercedes G500 in 2006. It has been a great car on the road and off the road for the power. I would say it is more luxuries and security car rather than convenience and comfortableness. First of all, no one can leave the car unless driver unlocks the car so it is kinda annoying. Before when I bought this car, I was dreamed about this car and planned to buy it for a long time. It didn't disappoint me at all but when I take it to the off road I can hear some raddling nose on the back door. I took it to the dealership for repair and I found out it makes that kind of nose often and other customers also noticed it because extra tire on the back is too heavy for the door and when people take it to the off road it just started making a noise. It didn't cost me allot, they just have to strengthen the back lock but it was annoying for me to go back to dealership for this situation once or twice a month because I take the car off road allot and finally I took off the extra tire on the back and it stopped making a noise but then it looks so on the back without extra tire. It is a strong car, lovely car, chick magnet car and I have had several SUVs like Landcruiser, Lexus and Range Rover. It was the best of all but I guess it is because I liked it so much. Also it is not a soft car when you take it on the road and if you drive on the road for long hours like me, you will get tired of driving it after several hours. Specially when you take it to the long off road trip, it is hard and uncomfortable. I believe G500 is the one of the best SUV that Mercedes produce but I don't know why they don't upgrade the suspension system and the back lock problem. I heard this problem is passed on to 2005 - 2008 but I heard 2009 has more soft suspension but I haven't tried it yet, if it is true I would like trade my car for it. For the gas mileage, this car is super. it is not comparable to the V6 or V4 but it is a best for V8 car. It is a powerful, super fast car but gas mileage is low for V8 car. Overall, I loved my G500 and I would like to buy new version if they fixed the suspension and back door lock problems. i would recommend this car to someone who loves to drive tough, fast, powerful SUVs but if you are looking for comfortable, convenience, inexpensive car, pls don't buy."

My 5 th G wagon and the best yet!!!!

By on Sunday, January 06, 2013

Pros: "Lane change assist, paddle shifters, engine sounds"

Cons: "I cup holder. Dash storage"

"Just a great solid safe dependable ride"

Bad to the bone

By on Monday, December 22, 2008

"Remember its a bit of a rough ride, lots of power with a hand full of fun. luxury off road and eye cacher in the streets. family friendly but most important SAFE."

By on Tuesday, September 02, 2008

"The best SUV! The only competition is the Hummer H1 (the real one). The G55 by AMG is a fast performance SUV and the engine and 4 wheel drive system the best in the world. It is military grade and used by the army in both Norway and Switzerland. The Pope drives one and the Sheik of Dubai. There is a big difference between the G55 AMG and the standard G500. Go for the AMG if you can. As for gas mileage, forget about it. You buy a car to burn gas, not to save gas! God Bless America. The Freedom to drive what you want."

By on Monday, March 31, 2008

"Bought a new 04 G500 in 05,,awesome vehicle, ride is excellent, styling is like no other..stainless steel vault on wheels,,engine is plenty powerful,, for sure the best SUV if money isn't an option,, only problems I had were electrical,,2 head units, armrest, windows not working,,,but Mercedez service more than makes up..sent a flatbed everytime and dropped an equally valued benz as a loaner..if you're a 6 plus footer its tight,,back seat is very tight if your tall.i'm 6'2".So my wife drives it as a grocery getter,she loves it.. gas mileage? well my H2 gets the same as the G500...live a little..:-)))"

Better Than Bad

By on Thursday, March 06, 2008

"The vehicle has a lot of history and class, but it's the small things that always get to you...like the window regulators that keep breaking and the squeeks and rattles, also the vehicle is way to rough on anything other than perfect roads or sand, rough dirt or cobble streets will shake you and the truck to pieces, these are all little things that Mercedes could fix or improve if they cared about customer service like they once did. I am sorry but get a Toyota Land Cruiser or VW Toureg V10 TDI instead, you will be much happier!!"

Buy A Legend for 1/2 Price

By on Thursday, November 15, 2007

"I bought a Mercedes certified G500 2004 for $42k and the new G500s at the dealer-with few differences are selling now for $86K. My 3004 has 24,000 miles. Love the car, it's rare and honest. The finish is excellent. The door lock on driver side went bad-told this has happened to others-but, covered by the warranty. It's a tank and worth the money-it will be a classic for many years. Too many SUVs have gotten trendy and age poorly. This is a timeless design. Keep it in the family as an heirloom."

Best

By on Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Pros: "Reliable!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Cons: "All the way down and driver's seat way too high!!"

"Reliable !!!!!!!!!!!!"

Excellent !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By on Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pros: "Look,power,reliability"

Cons: "Driving seat too high !!!!"

"So far very good truck !!!!"

G500

By on Monday, January 04, 2010

"wonderful vehicle and head turner but the only complaint is that mercedes make a wonderful motor but everything else goes wrong small things malfunction like for example my window motors went out and now i am dealing with a right door modulator,but otherwise its a awesome brute beast"

Love my G Baby

By on Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"I have owned my 2002 G-Wagon for 6 months now and I love it. It gets a lot of attention, its a real eye catcher! I have had the same problem as many have mentioned with the window regulator. But besides that I love it!"

GREAT SUV

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"Attention grabber! Beautiful. We own a Hummer H2, Cadillac Escalade and this suv sure is classy... You will love it..."

Great vehicle

By on Wednesday, January 02, 2008

"Great to drive alittle bit juicy but graat to drive. I will not swap it for another 4x4. The 2006 model is great"

It's a TANK!!

By on Tuesday, December 11, 2007

"If you are looking for a vehicle that will truly go anywhere, and grab attention, this is the one. I drive a 2002 G-500 and even though it is almost 6 years old, it still steals the show - even gets more looks than lots of fancy sports cars. Plus, it holds its value. Gas mileage is not great, but what would expect from something made of steel. If you want great mileage, buy something made of plastic, like most other SUV's. If you want something that feels like a tank, get the G-500!"

Great Power, Great Uncomfort

By on Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Reason: maintenace

Pros: "Absolute power, great retro look, tank like build"

Cons: "uncomfortable, high maintenance bills"

"I had this car for 6 years before I sold it. I can easily say it tops the list as one of the most powerful SUV's I have driven. It is based on a 30 year old design, but I think they follow the motto that goes: "if it ain't broken, don't fix it". Engine sounds like a beast, and that is exactly how the car drives too. Absolutely stable for such a car of its size, that is also shaped like a brick. Handling is surprisingly good, but the sell off is here. It is built like a tank, and is as uncomfortable as one. The suspension is so stiff, you will feel like you worked out after long drives. This car is very uncomfortable, don't let the Benz badge misguide you other wise. The final painful part that pushed me to sell was the post warranty maintenance. You will see some bills that are relevant to the price of this car. Don't be shocked to get $5000 bills. I had to fix AC, Supercharger, and coils, the bills stacked up and it just made sense to sell the car than keep paying."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz G-Class near Honolulu. See local deals