• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2009 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 622 Ratings for the 2003 - 2009 models.

E320

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2008

"This my first E-class. I have owned numerous BMWs for about ten years and did not like the "flame sculpting" body styling of the new BMWs. The E-class is a comfortable cruiser and is an excellent package. All automobiles have issues of one kind or another, so perfection is not achievable. My only criticism is that the resale value of the E-calss seems to be below average, when compared to other cars and that's disappointing, considering how much they cost new. Buying used is probably the way to go with MB."

By on Wednesday, April 16, 2008

By on Monday, February 18, 2008

OK car

By on Monday, October 08, 2007

"For the money I think MB ought to include maintanance in the S/P like BMW. Factory tires wore out fairly quickly as well as brakes. The car is nice to drive and it is stylish. Is very low to the ground and can be a chore to get out of."

By on Monday, September 10, 2007

"I have owned this vehicle for 1 1/2 yrs. I like it very much. It could have better gas mileage in the city. So far I have not had any major mechanical problems. My maintenance cost has been $0. All of service on this vehicle was covered by its warranty. All recalls were done for free. I hope to own this vehicle for the next decade."

By on Monday, July 30, 2007

"This is a beautiful, "adult" car. Handles very nice but standard version should have more than 300hp, Best to finance certified pre-owned w/ low mileage to get best pricing. Not roomy at all if you have to sit in back if your over 6ft tall. As far as gas, you shouldn't complain if you want luxury. Overall this is a very reliable car packed with luxury and performance. I do recommend."

Handles great; well-balanced

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

Pros: "well-engineered"

"I've owned my E350 for five years and still love it. I tend to drive fast and aggressively and it responds perfectly. It's well-balanced with steering and acceleration. The only flaw (and it's minor) is if you accidentally downshift with the steering wheel "paddles," to get back to automatic transmission you have to up-shift a whole bunch of times to get back to "D.""

E350 4 matic

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "good driver"

Cons: "overpriced,no free maintenance,low profile tires"

"A great reliable vehicle.A bit pricey though, and routine maintenance is super expensive! The low profile tires are not made for any northern road conditions at all.It bottoms out on every small bump or pot hole in the road. Oil changes at the dealer are over $200.00 it's ridiculously expensive. Yet the car is as good as any 4 wheel drive truck in slippery or snowy conditions,and very comfortable to be in and drive."

My third Mercedes Wagon...

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, still great style.."

"Have owned a 1998, 2001 and 2006 wagon. This one by far the most reliable and lowest maintence costs. Also previous wagons had rust problems, 2006 so far appears to have no if very little rust."

I love this car.

By on Saturday, January 04, 2014

Pros: "It is very comfortable to drive."

Cons: "When this car requires maintenance it must be done"

"It drives fabulously,and looks great. I have owned this car longer than I have ever owned a car. Each time I go to buy a new one, I don't commit because my old Mercedes drives better than all the new cars that I have test driven. I even drove the New CLA. The car is no comparison to my OLD 2003 E500."

Perfect design for me

By on Saturday, April 06, 2013

Pros: "Owning experience, dealer service always. Safe."

Cons: "Windshield wipers wear out quickly"

"I've owned two MB after 30 other cars over the last 40+ years. This E350 4matic is the best balance of safety, dependability and prestige that I have found. When the new 2010 version came out I drove one. It was very nice but the styling changes were not for me. We have 86k now and I'm well aware of the increasing cost for replacement of suspension and drivetrain components, but have recently decided to budget for those costs and spend the money to keep this car. I'm anticipating about 10K will be required to maintain the mechanical and appearance for the next ten years so do the math. That's far less than it would cost to buy a new car of just about any brand and my Benz is still better than any other 65K or less new car in many ways. I really appreciate it's lack of gadgets and complicated technology. It's just a great car."

Perfect blend of SUV and sedan

By on Friday, July 13, 2012

Pros: "cargo capacity, excellent ride, great sound system"

"I needed the room of an SUV, but with a lower stance to accommodate elderly parents who could no longer get into my SUV. This is the answer, as no American manufacturer currently has a similar offering. Excellent ride characteristics, flexible cargo space and killer sound system!"

Best of the 9 M/B vehicles I have owned since 1986

By on Monday, March 26, 2012

Pros: "34 mpg, great ride, very reliable"

Cons: "priced when new @ $60,000"

"I have owned nine Mercedes-Benz vehicles since 1986 and this is the best of the best. Even tops my 1986 560SEL (which I still drive). The fuel economy at 33mpg average is great for a 4000 lb car"

Best Vehicle I've ever owned

By on Sunday, March 18, 2012

Pros: "truly fun especially when I "smoke" other cars"

"I've driven this car 80,000 miles in the last two years....Mostly on long trips, the ride and dependabilty is awesome. The interior is top notch, leather is does not show wear, and I can drive 6 to 7 hours without stopping, never tired but the best thing is @ speeds of 75 MPH on the interstate, I consistently get 37-40 MPG on this very awesome turbo deisel and it's quite and smooth."

love my car!

By on Sunday, February 05, 2012

Pros: "smoothest ride ever. service once a year"

Cons: "servicing is pricey"

"drives like a dream. i find myself looking forward to going places just to be in the car!"

Awesome, luxurious, elegant, flawless, impeccable

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "Simply beautiful, gas mileage almost 40mpg hwy"

Cons: "Not as fun to drive as a sports sedan"

"One of the most beautiful 4 door sedans still in existence today, in my opinion. The exterior contour and dimensions are perfectly balanced, exudes timeless elegance and unmistakable identity of a luxury car. The interior is arguably the most beautiful design i have ever seen in sedan, better even that its newer counterpart. Well proportioned, everything falls in place. The build quality is unmistakably of german engineering, in side and out."

A Pleasure To Drive

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pros: "Sporty, balanced and responsive drive. Well made."

Cons: "Simple on board technology."

"I've driven this car going on my 3rd year and love it after buying it pre-owned. The first thing I noticed about this car was how solid and tight it is put together; from the solid door slam to the fit and finish of the interior. The drive is very balanced, responsive and comfortable for driver and passengers. The choice of "comfort" or "sports" mode is nice depending on what kind of driving mood you're in. To date, I've have no mechanical problems or issues. I've only had alignment issues with this car more than any other, but changing out the low profile tires has helped in the last year plus being more cautious of road conditions. The interior has held up above average and still looks new including the exterior paint, however, I take pride in keeping my cars well maintained and clean which helps. Overall this has been a great purchase for a great car. Quite ride almost absent of wind noise, but you do tend to hear some from the tires depending on the road. No squeaky cabin noises from interior and layout and design I feel is properly placed - except the cruise control that sometimes gets mistaken for the turn signal stick. What I feel are con's about this car is the sort of archaic technology on board – specifically the navigation system. No frills or touch screen, it's all hard buttons and this little joy stick thing, not always the easiest to navigate through, but you buy this car for the engineering and drive, not the technology I guess. This is where I feel the Asian luxury cars surpass the Germans, but over all, this car drives, responds and just feels better in my opinion. The other thing is this car requires synthetic oil which is much more expensive for an oil change, however you get about 12K to 13K miles before your due for another one. I plan on keeping this one for several more years since I tend to keep a car for around 5 years before I get another one. At this point since I’m so well pleased with this car and enjoy it, I will probably consider another E class once I’m ready to trade out."

One of the best cars I've ever driven.

By on Friday, December 30, 2011

Pros: "fuel economy, great comfort"

"For a nice mid-size sedan how can you complain about a 38mpg luxury car? My only grip is that I could not use my android mobile with this car but then again it is a 2007 so the android had not come out just yet. Having carpet on the step up was not a good idea because it attracted alot of dirt. I would have preferred something more durable there. Due to the double turbos the accleration is unbelievable. I have owned 4 diesels and this is by far the most gas-like auto as far as response and accleration."

Good, but expensive

By on Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pros: "Good drive, comfortable, options, power"

Cons: "Cup holder is horrible, cost to maintain"

"So far this car has been a comfortable car that drives very well. It handles decent in the snow considering it is rear wheel drive. The downside is the cost of repairs and maintenance. $100 (on the low end) for an oil change is hard to swallow. It has had some major problems including an entire throttle assembly and ignition. If using the recommended soft brake pads, brake dust builds up quite fast (1 week and it needs to be cleaned again). But, most of this is worth it considering this is the safest car in the world right now. If you are looking at buying a used one, really think about how much the maintenance and repairs may cost you. So far this car has cost me (just in repairs) over $7000. I wouldn't expect these repairs on any car with only 135,000 miles on it."

Good car

By on Sunday, February 13, 2011

"2005 E500. Great car with very little issues. Servicing the car can be expensive. The serviceman at the dealership stated to me "if you have to ask how much each item will cost for repair then you cannot afford the car". Thankfully this car requires very few service calls."

Luxury beast

By on Tuesday, May 11, 2010

"This car simply delivers everything. Insane horsepower at 480 wheel and over 500 pounds of torque it's a beast. It's also quieter then any car I've ever been in. My favorites have got to be the little things. Being a Mercedes all the "normal" functions work above average but the adaptive seats when you're taking a turn, the head AND cooled seats, the automatic trunk closer, adjustable ride height (for those deep driveways), adjustable springs (for going through San Francisco) and even the headlights move when you turn them on! It really is everything and more in one package. Being the 2006 model it was the last year of the supercharged motor so I believe it has reached it's Zenith of production signaled by the fact they made a new AMG motor because this one is now perfect."

Masterpiece

By on Thursday, November 05, 2009

"The 2006 E350 has been everything it was supposed to be and more. The problems with the 2006 E are: transmission, SBC braking system, and ball joints. 2006 was the first year of the 7 speed transmission. It had some issues. Notably on the E Class, there was a valve body problem that needed to be upgraded. The tranny also has rough shifts and is prone to early failure. The SBC braking system had many different issues and was discontinued for 2007, but the SBC is under extended warranty by MB for (I think 8 years) even after factory warranty expires. The ball joints on the 06 E have many complaints of going bad far before 100,000 miles in many cases. I have only had transmission issues and MB replaced the tranny. Since then, it has performed flawlessly and is truly a refined automobile. With all said, the car is very reliable and will drive and look well for many years to come. This model is truly a MB and may be the best looking MB ever."

The best car in the "E" class!

By on Sunday, September 06, 2009

"This car is fun, fast, and amazing. 55,047 miles."

classy rocket!

By on Monday, August 17, 2009

"this car is awesome! fast, corners great, stops great, rides nice. i love everything about it, except the seats! they are recaro, and uncomfortable for a big person."

Fast and Sporty

By on Wednesday, April 29, 2009

"Nice look, feels good that I am driving a Mercedes, and still is a fast car that gets up and moves! I love it. I really enjoy the Panoramic roof, that I use all of the time! The passengers in the back really like it too. They said it doesn't feel confining at all in the back seat with this open. Nice car."