• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2009 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 623 Ratings for the 2003 - 2009 models.

Wouldn't buy E-Class Again.

By on Tuesday, December 11, 2007

"I have had this car for almost a year. I bought this used from a dealership and had no problems the first 6 months. It had 39000 miles the time I bought it. But now I have started having problems with the suspesion system. I hear the squiking noises and I have paid 2 visits to the workshop. I am just fed up with my Benz. Overall, I didn't expect a Benz to give me all these problems having that big of a name out there. I guess the prestige and name is not the same anymore since its been bought by Chrysler."

Sorry I traded My BMW

By on Saturday, October 20, 2007

"After owning 7 BMW's including an 03 M5, 02 M3 convertible, and 540i Sports and still put off by their current styling I thought it was time to consider a Mercedes. I looked a several but was seduced by the HP and torque of the E55. That is its strong point. I've owned my 05 now for two months and find that I don't like the instrumentation, the difficult computer, the fact that you can accidently activate the manual shift mode without knowing it, the navigation system, you can't select your preset radio channels from the steering column, and the very expensive routine mainteance costs. I also had Sirius satellite radio installed and that was another costly $1,100 mistake. Straight line performance the E55 can't be beat but when you consider you only do that once in a while stick with BMW! IMHO, stay away from this car!"

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2007

"I drove the 2008 E320 Bluetec from Stuttgart to Munich for five days in terrible rain. It handled superbly on the autobahn as well as the mountain back roads. The only drawback is that the wiper blades are not fast enough in heavy rains. The defogger worked, the road handling was superb and the power to handle the autobahn was there when called upon. The gas mileage was more than projected. Nice comfortable ride and easy to handle."

E320 CDI

By on Thursday, September 06, 2007

"Best car I've ever had. It is very fast and phenomenal mileage. I get 25 in town and 38 on the hwy at 70mph. Quiet and comfortable with almost no diesel noise."

2008 Bluetec Diesel

By on Sunday, August 12, 2007

"Picked mine up last Friday. Beautiful and I'm getting better than 30 MPG in combined city/highway - commute is 50% each and in DC traffic that is something! Only disappointment is in the Bluetooth MHI. I can use multiple phones - one at a time - but the phone books does not sync. AWS - wirelss provider for MB wants to sell very high priced Razor phones - the kind you get for free! Bottomline - use the phone handsfree - it already has a telephone book in it!"

Luxury with performance

By on Sunday, July 29, 2007

"The E500 is no doubt a good looking luxurious car. The icing on the cake is that it runs like a scalded ape and handles better than a lot of sports cars. The ride is comfortable with plenty of room inside. It's quiet and has a great sound system. Long trips go by in a flash and daily commutes are stressless. I got 19 mpg around the city and 26 mpg on the highway at an average speed of 80 mph! I have the driving dynamic seats (which aren't available anymore I hear). Absolutely the best thing since sliced bread. There are only a few annoying issues I have with the car. One is the electrical engine cooling fan. When its running, it sounds like a 747 taking off if you're outside the car. Don't hear much inside the car. The other is active suspension which occasionally "farts" which sound like someone letting air out of a ballon by squeezing the outlet. Embarassing to say the least. In 4 years, there were a few electronic glitches but nothing the dealer couldn't fix or typical for any car with as many "bells and whistles," even a Lexyota. The style, luxury, performance and quality is superb. Despite the few issues, this is a great car and I highly recommend it!"

fantastic automobile

By on Sunday, May 18, 2014

Pros: "A really excellent car"

"2005 Mercedes E320 sedan white/wbeige interior command navigation, harmon kardon sound system four new tires heated front seats all power elec/sunroof elec rear sunshade luxury edition excellent condition inside and out 72,000 miles clean title"

I have owned several Benzos the E5honey is my favo

By on Thursday, January 30, 2014

Pros: "Fast"

Cons: "no cell accessories"

"Comfortable and reliable"

Love the Car

By on Thursday, November 14, 2013

"It is an older car, but still runs pretty good... I been driving this car for over three years now and never have any problems yet... (knock on wood 8)... Many thanks to the previous owner for taking care of the car..."

I LOVE THIS CAR. QUICK SOLID, RELIABLE,COMFORTABLE

By on Friday, October 18, 2013

Pros: "MOST FUN TO DRIVE IN TOWN, COMFY TO TRAVEL, MPG+"

Cons: "PARTS A BIT PRICEY-E.G.$89 FOR LITE LENS"

"MINOR ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WHEN NEW. EXTENDED WARANTY INCLUDED SINGLE DISK PLAYER- NOT MULTI. DEALER WOULD NOT REPAIR A JAMMED DISC, OFFERED A NEW TOPSIDE FOR THE UPGRADED SOUND SYSTEM FOR $800+,A BIT OF ROAD NOISE WHICH MAY BE THE LOW PROFILE TIRES. CHROME ALONG THE INSIDE WHERE THE TIRE SEALS HAS FLAKED AND CAUSES A SLOW LEAK. FORD DEALER APPLIED RIM SEAL AND THAT HOLDS FOR SEVERAL MONTHS. FUN CAR TO DRIVE, GREAT ACCEL FOR PASSING (IF YOU ARE USED TO A SMALLER POWERED CAR, AND FLOORBOARD IT YOU MAY NOTICE YOUR SPEED OVER 100 MPH IN A VERY FEW SECONDS). GREAT LOOKS, COMFORTABLE FOR TRAVEL, DEALERS ARE POLITE AND TREAT YOU WELL. CAR HAS ROADSIDE SERVICE IF SERVICED AT A DEALER WHICH I USED FOR A COUPLE OF FLAT TIRES AND RESPONSE WAS VERY FAST. OVERALL THIS HAS BEEN THE MOST PLEASURE TO OWN AND DRIVE. 100% RECOMMENDATION TO BUY."

Great Car .

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive"

"The best made car for sure ! i would not own any other."

Its been the best car I ever owned

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, class and no extra maintenance required."

Cons: "nothing to report"

"I do not drive often that's probably why I only have 42K miles on it. But this car drives nice, I've never had any problems with it since I've owned it. Everyone loves it and I can't bear the thought of trading it or selling it. It's been a dream car for me since I bought it in 2004."

One of the nicest cars to own for the money

By on Saturday, December 08, 2012

Pros: "Great price for a 4 door sports car"

Cons: "Goes thru tires about once every 15K miles"

"I remember back in 2003 I saw several commercials for this car. They had the monster coming out of the hood and the husband had to beat the monster back under the hood. I wanted this car. In 2007 I could afford one. I got it. This car drives very well with a hint of bad manners. It's a bit heavy in the front. I love the car. Unless you know what AMG is, you miss it. You get other sports cars get blown away by a sedan."

excellent, luxurious and dependable

By on Friday, July 13, 2012

Pros: "design, luxurious interior and comfort"

Cons: "no lumbar support"

"This car is a beautiful automobile. The luxurious interior, exterior design and beautiful ride are superior to almost any vehicle I test drove before purchasing it used from a new car dealer. The only drawback is the high cost of dealer maintenance. But, otherwise I highly recommend this car over any other luxury make in its class."

Great car, want to keep it forever

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

Pros: "Good looking, fast, luxurious"

Cons: "Glove box drops too low - that's it!"

Best car I've had by FAR over 7 Lincolns and a few

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "back seats flip down for a HUGE trunk...!"

Cons: "More space in center console"

"Never had a car even close to this car!!! The engineering is impeccable. It does better on snow and ice than does my 4x4 truck, and rides like a pillow, AND is faster than heck with a 5.6 litre V8. I just want a newer one now!!!!"

get to know a mechanic

By on Monday, December 19, 2011

Pros: "great engine - solid build"

Cons: "poor suspension and transmission"

"it's a solid car but it takes a lot of time, effort and money to keep them functioning properly on the road. transmission - $5660 radiator - $1200 wheel speed sensor - $401 trans pan gasket and AT plug - $400 (performed twice in a year). Tranmission mounts - $200 That's one year worth of repairs."

Solid Car - Built to Last

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pros: "Strong, long lasting car"

Cons: "The light color interior is very hard to clean"

"I have 132,000 miles on my 2006 and do nothing but oil changes. I have gone to the local Meinke for them and reduced my cost to $89.00 per change. They can reset the computer. I get almost 750 miles per tank of fuel, in Florida we have two speeds off and 80. We have alot of interstates and the car handles well at speed and is solid. I continue to hear and see many owners with 100's of thousands of miles with no issues. The paint looks like new, interior is ok. The issues with the car are known, all very minor things which seem to be common. I would buy it again."

Fast Vehicle E350

By on Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Pros: "great drive"

Cons: "button on the console and door a very fragile and they cost a lot to replace."

"This car can really move. It has a lot of get up powere. The takeoff is great. I am a fast drivers and this car get can move. The sound system is great for road travel. It has a single cd and 6 dis changer..."

Just so so

By on Wednesday, November 11, 2009

"Overall, no major issues but many minor ones. Surprising high road noise while driving, was not expecting that from a MB. Harmon Kardon stereo was awful. An old Accord's sound was much better. And was far worse than, for instance, Maxima's Bose systems. The 2010 editions have improved the sound by adding 2 speakers and better iPod integration. The retail tires only last for around 20k miles before needing replacement. The driver side mirror started fading and cracked. Positives are the interior styling is nice and MB roadside service. Overall, I was a bit disappointed after three years of ownership."

mbnze500

By on Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"great car! fast! safe! comfortable! reliable!"

E class with 5 liter

By on Thursday, May 21, 2009

"FANTASTIC car. I've owned two Jags and a C class MB, and none of them came close to this car. You will Love it!"

Never Again

By on Tuesday, July 08, 2008

"This E320 4Matic Wagon was the third MB Wagon and the 5th MB overall that I have owned. It was also my last MB for the foreseeable future. I bought this wagon as a certified preowned with 37K miles and purchased the extended warranty coverage yet still sold it off after less than 1 year with less than 44K miles. The electrical was a constant nightmare, the seats sometimes stuck in position for no reason at all, the navigation system would shut down and the satellite radio would just cut off. I am not hard on cars -- no kids, no animals, a fourth car in a 2 person family. Avoid this model! Boy do I miss the reliability of the old MB brand -- and my 1987 turbo diesel wagon. Wish I had that one back!"

Love It..

By on Saturday, June 21, 2008

"I have been driving my MB E320 CDI for over two years now and LOVE it. The gas mileage is very sweet, EVEN with the price of diesel. My only complaint IF I have to voice one...the car does not handle as well as I would expect on wet pavement. My last car was an all wheel drive SUV so perhaps I just got used to the great ability to drive through anything. I would buy this car again in a heartbeat."

E320

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2008

"This my first E-class. I have owned numerous BMWs for about ten years and did not like the "flame sculpting" body styling of the new BMWs. The E-class is a comfortable cruiser and is an excellent package. All automobiles have issues of one kind or another, so perfection is not achievable. My only criticism is that the resale value of the E-calss seems to be below average, when compared to other cars and that's disappointing, considering how much they cost new. Buying used is probably the way to go with MB."