2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 642 Ratings for the 2003 - 2009 models.

Sorry I traded My BMW

By on Saturday, October 20, 2007

"After owning 7 BMW's including an 03 M5, 02 M3 convertible, and 540i Sports and still put off by their current styling I thought it was time to consider a Mercedes. I looked a several but was seduced by the HP and torque of the E55. That is its strong point. I've owned my 05 now for two months and find that I don't like the instrumentation, the difficult computer, the fact that you can accidently activate the manual shift mode without knowing it, the navigation system, you can't select your preset radio channels from the steering column, and the very expensive routine mainteance costs. I also had Sirius satellite radio installed and that was another costly $1,100 mistake. Straight line performance the E55 can't be beat but when you consider you only do that once in a while stick with BMW! IMHO, stay away from this car!"

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2007

"I drove the 2008 E320 Bluetec from Stuttgart to Munich for five days in terrible rain. It handled superbly on the autobahn as well as the mountain back roads. The only drawback is that the wiper blades are not fast enough in heavy rains. The defogger worked, the road handling was superb and the power to handle the autobahn was there when called upon. The gas mileage was more than projected. Nice comfortable ride and easy to handle."

2008 Bluetec Diesel

By on Sunday, August 12, 2007

"Picked mine up last Friday. Beautiful and I'm getting better than 30 MPG in combined city/highway - commute is 50% each and in DC traffic that is something! Only disappointment is in the Bluetooth MHI. I can use multiple phones - one at a time - but the phone books does not sync. AWS - wirelss provider for MB wants to sell very high priced Razor phones - the kind you get for free! Bottomline - use the phone handsfree - it already has a telephone book in it!"

Luxury with performance

By on Sunday, July 29, 2007

"The E500 is no doubt a good looking luxurious car. The icing on the cake is that it runs like a scalded ape and handles better than a lot of sports cars. The ride is comfortable with plenty of room inside. It's quiet and has a great sound system. Long trips go by in a flash and daily commutes are stressless. I got 19 mpg around the city and 26 mpg on the highway at an average speed of 80 mph! I have the driving dynamic seats (which aren't available anymore I hear). Absolutely the best thing since sliced bread. There are only a few annoying issues I have with the car. One is the electrical engine cooling fan. When its running, it sounds like a 747 taking off if you're outside the car. Don't hear much inside the car. The other is active suspension which occasionally "farts" which sound like someone letting air out of a ballon by squeezing the outlet. Embarassing to say the least. In 4 years, there were a few electronic glitches but nothing the dealer couldn't fix or typical for any car with as many "bells and whistles," even a Lexyota. The style, luxury, performance and quality is superb. Despite the few issues, this is a great car and I highly recommend it!"

Amazing ride!

By on Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Pros: "Fun to drive, amazing acceleration and handling,"

Cons: "Not cheap to maintain"

"I bought this at 116K miles. I'm the second owner of the car. It's been extremely good in long distance cruises, you won't feel tired.It's incredibly spacious and comfortable. You can drive it fast if you want, but you don't feel like it. You'd just like to drive at a medium pace and enjoy the luxury feel of this amazing car. I've a 2003 E320 (gasoline, not diesel) and I get 31 mpg on the highway. The only issue I've had so far is one of my catalytic converters started to rattle. Apart from that it drives like a brand-new car to this day. I think it's important to buy a car that has perfect maintenance records. My car has never been maintained outside a Mercedes Benz dealer and I do the same. As long as you maintain this car well, it will last very long."