• 2014 Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 602 Ratings for the 2003 - 2009 models.

Most comfortable seats I've ever had; great fun!

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "Seats, design, performance, rarity"

Cons: "seating with rear seats folded down."

"Worked hard to find it- located it in Dallas. Drove it home and was so impressed that I could not stop driving! The only negative thing anywhere on the car is that when you fold rear seats down the fronts are limited in rear movement. Everything else is super!"

The E500 is a solid well made sedan.

By on Sunday, March 02, 2014

Pros: "Fast, solid, very predictable handling,"

Cons: "Expensive to maintain if dealer dependent"

"I purchased my 2004 E500 used in 2006 with just 3400 miles on it from Herb Gordon Mercedes in Maryland. This car has delivered 130,000 miles without any serious problems. Sure the minor stuff wore out, like a few oxygen sensors and the rear bellows at 131,000 mile mark. Maintenance is easy, oil changes every 10,000 miles and transmission fluid changes every 40,000 miles. Some owners are having transmission and electrical problems, mine has been fine. The engine in these cars seem to be bullet proof. Mine is still very strong and gets 26 mpg with the cruise control at 70 mph. Living in Florida, A/C is important. The majority of older BMW's I see have overheated occupants in a sagging car, not MB. The suspension is excellent. At the 110,000 mile mark I told the dealer to check out the car from front to back, basically offering a blank check. Recommendations were: 2 ball joints and spark plug change-that was all. The E500 is a very well made car and with the exception of some electrical problems and a few reported transmission problems these are excellent cars. Smooth, solid, fast and have excellent grip for a big sedan. If you are considering one get an E550 2007 or later. Steering, brakes and engine have been improved. Get a low mileage good one and you'll be pleased. But beware, these cars are not Toyotas; they require attentive maintenance and if you are dealer dependent then you should factor in a few maintenance dollars into your operating costs."

E350 4 matic

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "good driver"

Cons: "overpriced,no free maintenance,low profile tires"

"A great reliable vehicle.A bit pricey though, and routine maintenance is super expensive! The low profile tires are not made for any northern road conditions at all.It bottoms out on every small bump or pot hole in the road. Oil changes at the dealer are over $200.00 it's ridiculously expensive. Yet the car is as good as any 4 wheel drive truck in slippery or snowy conditions,and very comfortable to be in and drive."

Stylish quality built Benz

By on Thursday, February 20, 2014

"Really we'll made car. Not a huge fan of the air suspension. I will convert to coil shocks when the time comes. Very smooth ride even at high speeds. 120mph+ 4matic works like a dream. Brakes stop on a dime. Love the style and curves. You can feel the quality as soon as you get in. Lots of complements from car guys and the girls go crazy for this ride."

certified pre-owned has been trouble free.

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Pros: "excellent comfort and handling for a sedan."

Cons: "There are a few blind spots cause of side mirrors"

"Very good car and reliable too. Only drawback is cost of routine maintenance and parts. Outstanding comfort and it goes where you point it with good power in most situations. I usually beat the EPA mileage estimate on long trips."

Total satisfaction!

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Affordable for single professional"

Cons: "None - love it"

"I love this car - it fits me like a glove, knows what i'm thinking, handles intuitively, moves like a gazelle, stops on a dime. No pretenses about it, clean, classy, dignified reliable and understated - you have to be committed to taking care of it - service schedules happen. The quick response, road feel and even the subtle sound of the dual exhaust still makes me smile - and Im a woman! I work hard for my money and I appreciate the solid performance and security I have with this car - the service staff are phenominal too! Did I mention I love this car? 6 years and counting!"

I have owned several Benzos the E5honey is my favo

By on Thursday, January 30, 2014

Pros: "Fast"

Cons: "no cell accessories"

"Comfortable and reliable"

My first Mercedes, and I was impressed.

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

"This was my first Mercedes after having two(2) BMW's previously. The comfort of the ride and the handling characteristics are unbeatable. I would get excellent gas mileage,24-28 mpg on the highway. I kept the car garaged and never let it set outside in the hot sun. The exterior and interior are in excellent shape. No scrapes or scratches. 77,000 miles for a 13 year old car of this type is very low average miles. It should be a very good car for many years to come."

My third Mercedes Wagon...

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, still great style.."

"Have owned a 1998, 2001 and 2006 wagon. This one by far the most reliable and lowest maintence costs. Also previous wagons had rust problems, 2006 so far appears to have no if very little rust."

I love this car.

By on Saturday, January 04, 2014

Pros: "It is very comfortable to drive."

Cons: "When this car requires maintenance it must be done"

"It drives fabulously,and looks great. I have owned this car longer than I have ever owned a car. Each time I go to buy a new one, I don't commit because my old Mercedes drives better than all the new cars that I have test driven. I even drove the New CLA. The car is no comparison to my OLD 2003 E500."

E320 rocking the boulevard

By on Friday, December 20, 2013

Pros: "value for the price, highway MPG, solid body"

Cons: "delicate cup holder, some parts are costly"

desert sand E320 in desert sunset

"One of the best cars I have ever owned. The E320 Sport air suspension is great allowing for multiple ride settings from soft to hard depending on your mood or road conditions. Mileage has been 27 to as high as 32 on the highway. In town the MPGs are pretty low from 19-21, but that's what you get for a heavy car, traffic and stoplights. The v-6 still pulls hard and is plenty of power for driving in town and on the highway. The cruise control is positive and holds steady to whatever speed you select. Stability and traction control is great on snow and ice. Keeping the car on track and you in control. Space is a plenty on the inside for the back seat and trunk space. If you can find one, get one with folding seats so you can get the full use of the space. The front seats are well supported and makes for a confident ergonomic arrangement where you can see and reach everything. Main expenses have been a set of engine mounts and an alignment. I can't stress enough how important it is to take it to Mercedes or an established Mercedes shop for maintenance. It will cost you less stress, time and perhaps money. Follow the vehicle maintenance schedule and 10,000 mile oil changes. Find a good, well maintained one and it will last a long time."

desert sand E320 in desert sunset

Love the Car

By on Thursday, November 14, 2013

"It is an older car, but still runs pretty good... I been driving this car for over three years now and never have any problems yet... (knock on wood 8)... Many thanks to the previous owner for taking care of the car..."

I LOVE THIS CAR. QUICK SOLID, RELIABLE,COMFORTABLE

By on Friday, October 18, 2013

Pros: "MOST FUN TO DRIVE IN TOWN, COMFY TO TRAVEL, MPG+"

Cons: "PARTS A BIT PRICEY-E.G.$89 FOR LITE LENS"

"MINOR ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WHEN NEW. EXTENDED WARANTY INCLUDED SINGLE DISK PLAYER- NOT MULTI. DEALER WOULD NOT REPAIR A JAMMED DISC, OFFERED A NEW TOPSIDE FOR THE UPGRADED SOUND SYSTEM FOR $800+,A BIT OF ROAD NOISE WHICH MAY BE THE LOW PROFILE TIRES. CHROME ALONG THE INSIDE WHERE THE TIRE SEALS HAS FLAKED AND CAUSES A SLOW LEAK. FORD DEALER APPLIED RIM SEAL AND THAT HOLDS FOR SEVERAL MONTHS. FUN CAR TO DRIVE, GREAT ACCEL FOR PASSING (IF YOU ARE USED TO A SMALLER POWERED CAR, AND FLOORBOARD IT YOU MAY NOTICE YOUR SPEED OVER 100 MPH IN A VERY FEW SECONDS). GREAT LOOKS, COMFORTABLE FOR TRAVEL, DEALERS ARE POLITE AND TREAT YOU WELL. CAR HAS ROADSIDE SERVICE IF SERVICED AT A DEALER WHICH I USED FOR A COUPLE OF FLAT TIRES AND RESPONSE WAS VERY FAST. OVERALL THIS HAS BEEN THE MOST PLEASURE TO OWN AND DRIVE. 100% RECOMMENDATION TO BUY."

Terrific Vehicle

By on Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Pros: "MPG, reliable, comfortable, huge trunk space"

Cons: "Light switch is not illuminated"

"This is my wife's car and she loves it. Consistently gets over 30 mpg. Accelerates like a muscle car, sips fuel like a compact. Comfortable ride, well laid out interior, and good looking."

Great car, very fast and responsive!

By on Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Pros: "Fastest car on the road with four doors"

Cons: "Ride is sporty not luxury"

"Perfect car for driving quick with great looks! My car has been modified to 600+ hp, and gets decent gas mileage. Highly recommend this car, no problems."

Cannot give it up

By on Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Pros: "A sports car masquerading as a mommy car."

Cons: "No iPhone dock, just a cord to radio"

"I love this car. She is smooth and reliable, and seats my friends comfortably. My new job is giving me a car, and the last thing I need is three cars, but I can't fathom getting rid of this car. This is probably one of the best values in a car on the road today. She's pretty, and I average about 20 miles per gallon. Maintenance is reasonable as well. All in all, a great car. I'm just going to have to get better at finding parking, because I can't give her up."

Great car

By on Saturday, July 27, 2013

Pros: "great front end design, great for highway driving"

Cons: "Center arm rest and storage console"

"I have had this car for 28 weeks and it has been a pleasure to drive. Not one problem. The 19" wheels with low profile tires gives a bit of a hard ride on rough roads, but is excellent on highway. Good gas mileage on the highway. Controls are all convenient. The center front arm rest and storage bin is a little awkward. The cruise control is great and easy to use, and the steering wheel is very comfortable to grasp."

Great Car .

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive"

"The best made car for sure ! i would not own any other."

Drives great, super solid, autobahn cruiser

By on Monday, June 24, 2013

Pros: "Drives great at speed"

Cons: "parts are expensive"

"The car feels solid, drives great. At highway speeds you never feel like you are not in control. I have had this car over 100mph on dry highway and could change lanes with 1 finger. Great in the snow with 4 matic and good all season tires. Huge trunk, if you need it. Long drives are a pleasure, get out of car feeling fine. I thought heated steering wheel was stupid, now I love it."

Great Diesel Driving

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "Quality: design, materials, paint, upholstery"

Cons: "can be expensive to maintain and repair"

"My car is very nice after 127000 miles and 8 years: upholstery still looks new, paint still very shiny. Quality is all over this one. It is not a cheap car, but you get what you pay for. Well, sometimes, at least. These cars are somewhat expensive to maintain but, if you can afford it, they will stay with you for the long term. There are lower-cost alternatives to most dealer services; really this car has proven to not be more complex than about any upscale modern car. Example: dealer asked $534 parts and labor to replace two upper front ball joints. I bought them from a Mercedes-Benz dealer on-line, for $99, and it took me, an amateur mechanic, less than an hour and no special tools to install them. I also change my own oil, filter, and fuel and air filters. The oil is a special Mobil1, and it can cost $8 to $10 per quart, it takes 8 quarts, but it goes 12,000 miles between changes. I had occasion to remove the oil pan recently, and the engine was perfectly clean inside, so I trust the oil and the change interval. car has more then plenty of power, not slow at all like Mercedes Diesels used to be."

I love this car.

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

Pros: "Very reliable, comfortable, excellent fuel economy"

Cons: "No driving lights, no program to avoid backing"

"I have driven a Mercedes for many years. I always bought pre-owned and the certified used vehicles. This is a safe car, drives easy, excellent on fuel. I have driven the diesel autos for many years-love the cars. Going into Atlanta, my typical miles per gallon is 33-35. 4 new tires."

Greatest Drives I had in years

By on Friday, May 10, 2013

Pros: "Dynamic, comfort, look, fast"

Cons: "It's a Mercedes, parts and repairs may be costly"

"This 2005 Mercedes E500 has been the nicest car I've owned. Comfort, speed, luxury. This car has it all. From the 5.0 V8 engine, to the comfortable leather seating. The dynamic suspension, at the push of a button you drive in comfort, and with the same button, you can lower the suspension to drive it like a sports car. This beauty really sticks to the road and I wouldn't feel safer in another car. I highly recommend this beauty."

Incredible machine

By on Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Pros: "Great road car, beautiful styling, brawn"

Cons: "none, really...enjoy!"

"Love this car, great lines and is as solid as they come. Even with all the bells and whistles it has been reliable transportation (but suggest the extended warranty anyway). Great road car, which we use quite frequently on the highway...oh yeah, the highway. It is incredibly fast, once your at highway speeds, the 5.5 litre engine and 7 speed tranny pegs you to the seat when passing. Excessive speeds are difficult to avoid, so caution is a must. Great job MB."

They Don't Get Any Better than THIS!

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

"I have owned hundeds of cars in my lifetime and this one tops them all. Always bought S class and SL's. Have owned all of the BMW's and Jaguars. At age 58, decided to just buy a nice toy. I found this 2003 E320 with 180,000 miles a few months ago and have had nothing but pleasure. I had never owned a car with over 100K but was always aware of the E320 reliability. I'm SOLD!!! She drives as good as my 2007 S Class. Not one complaint. Just drove it from Chi to Vegas without any reservations. Sensational Ride. Plan to go at least another 180,000 miles. Haven't bought anything but gas (30 MPG)"

Only vehicle I have ever been disappointed owning

By on Saturday, April 20, 2013

"Transmission went up 2000 miles after warranty. Benz said too bad. Cheap plastic parts. Only 58,000 miles on 08 purchased in 07 but quality is poor. Owned BMW 7 Series prior. Going back to BMW . I've never despised a car more. Mercedes has lost me forever based on my ownership and experience. From leather seats ripping to interior pieces chipping to cheap plastic parts on outside breaking, just a poor quality car."