2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 621 Ratings for the 2003 - 2009 models.

a friendly reminder

By on Sunday, June 29, 2008

"These cars a joy to drive and have excellent fuel economy. My 2007 e350 sport has been both fun/practical. Over the past 22 months and has had no drivability or mechanical issues. After the first year I usually find something wrong with anything including past my toyotas/honda-acuras but not this car. I have averaged 22-25mpg with a/c on between 80-90mph mixed driving. When you need to fly the 7sp auto just moves out.. This is Benz # 7..I can't wait for # 8. I have driven and owned BMW/Lexus, for everyday satisfaction they don't compare. Lexus great car without a real SOUL. BMW fun at the beginning but later something else. If you want real overall value try a E-class. You won't regret it."

Great Diesel Driving

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "Quality: design, materials, paint, upholstery"

Cons: "can be expensive to maintain and repair"

"My car is very nice after 127000 miles and 8 years: upholstery still looks new, paint still very shiny. Quality is all over this one. It is not a cheap car, but you get what you pay for. Well, sometimes, at least. These cars are somewhat expensive to maintain but, if you can afford it, they will stay with you for the long term. There are lower-cost alternatives to most dealer services; really this car has proven to not be more complex than about any upscale modern car. Example: dealer asked $534 parts and labor to replace two upper front ball joints. I bought them from a Mercedes-Benz dealer on-line, for $99, and it took me, an amateur mechanic, less than an hour and no special tools to install them. I also change my own oil, filter, and fuel and air filters. The oil is a special Mobil1, and it can cost $8 to $10 per quart, it takes 8 quarts, but it goes 12,000 miles between changes. I had occasion to remove the oil pan recently, and the engine was perfectly clean inside, so I trust the oil and the change interval. car has more then plenty of power, not slow at all like Mercedes Diesels used to be."

Great car

By on Sunday, May 22, 2011

"Mercedes E 350 is truly a great car. However, it's not for everyday driving. I believe it is over priced and only gets 22 to 23 mpg on the highway. But it does give a great ride and is very reliable with great road performance."

The perfect driving machine (sorry BMW)

By on Sunday, July 15, 2012

Pros: "All of aforementioned."

Cons: "As aforementioned"

"I love my car. I have driven up and down California in it, and across to Vegas from SF, all around the Bay Area including the seven steep hills within SF along with the dangerous inside city driving that includes bicycles, trams, busses, scooters, pedestrians etc where everyone seems to have right of way. This car is perfect. Stops on a dime, clear visibility out of all windows without blind spots, nimble steering and a transmission so smooth you forget it is working all the time. I have been surprised by gas mileage too, averaging 27-28 on my long haul trips and 19 in the city. Plenty of room in the backseat (we were five, with 4 nearly 6") on our last roadtrip (to Vegas). Massive trunk. And if music is your thing, this system (Harmon....) is as good as anything from Bose or B"

Wood, Leather

By on Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pros: "You feel like a million bucks, surrounded by leather and burled wood!"

Cons: "Everybody assumes that you're rich -- while you think you just found a good value."

"We have been driving our 2007 MB-E320 Bluetec for over 2 years. We can't say enough about the total reliability and elegance of this car! It is loaded with "creature comforts" that make it a pleasure to drive, or ride in. In addition to being my comfortable daily driver for work, we have thoroughly enjoyed long trips using the navigational system, heated, power seats, sensational sound system and integrated phone. Everything is easy, pleasant and elegant. Not to mention excellent gas mileage! On trips we average 32-34mpg. We will definitely remain MB customers, for life!"

Fantastic fuel mileage, superior ride quality

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pros: "Great power, fuel mileage and luxurious"

Cons: "Pricey turbo charger replacement"

"I have driven this car for two years. It was a one-owner when purchased. The car has been very dependable, aside from having to replace a pricey turbo charger, the car has been fabulous. The power off the line is very surprising. I get approximately 500 miles to a tank of fuel!! It even has massaging seats!! Overall, the ride is very Mercedes-like, the drive is tight and the surroundings are very supple."

Superb

By on Monday, October 15, 2007

"You would never know it is a diesel until you see the MPG. 36 on the highway and 22+ in town. No smell, no noise, instant starting and incredible acceleration. I can burn the tires from a stop and pass with no hesitation. Pricey? Yes, but you feel safe and secure. This car is Mercedes all the way. Beautiful fit and finish. Timeless style. I can see it lasting many years and still being way ahead of other sedans. Maintenance? None. It goes 13,000 miles between oil changes."

Terrific Vehicle

By on Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Pros: "MPG, reliable, comfortable, huge trunk space"

Cons: "Light switch is not illuminated"

"This is my wife's car and she loves it. Consistently gets over 30 mpg. Accelerates like a muscle car, sips fuel like a compact. Comfortable ride, well laid out interior, and good looking."

The best car ever, buy one and see

By on Monday, September 10, 2012

Pros: "Build quality, safety in design, solid feel, fun"

Cons: "regular maintenance costs"

"We have owned this 2006 E350 since 'nearly new', it was a dealer 'demo'. Only one problem, a fuel sensor switch ($300.00). Even this didn't cause a problem we only new about it via a check engine light. A perfect family car that still looks and drives like new. If maintenance were a little less expensive, and if I liked the new interior design (yuk)we would buy a new one. We'll keep this until we get bored (never) of it. What a fantastic car (I'm already scared that writing this will jinx us)"

Best car ever!!

By on Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Pros: "mpg, convenience, simplicity, comfort, reliability"

Cons: "resale value, somewhat dull styling"

"I bought this car new in february of 2008 and have not had one problem since. With the diesel engine I have achieved 38 miles per gallon a couple times. The navigation and technology is incredibly easy to use, the ride is smooth, and with 80,000 miles showing on the clock the other day, it feels like it just left the dealership. I have not had any problems except things like headlights and taillights which are normal repairs. I have always had it serviced with my Mercedes dealership and have all the service records. this is by far one of my favorite cars I have ever owned, among many as I am 54 years old. I plan on keeping this car to over 250,000 miles, that is how much I trust it."

Well built

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Cons: "Headlights wear down quickly"

"Bought this car from my dad with 110,000 miles on it. He never had any issues with it in the first 100k miles and I haven't had any issues since. Great acceleration and superior handling going into its 10th year."

Excellent E500 4-matic for Winter

By on Sunday, August 12, 2007

"I've had my 2004 E500 4-matic AWD since Feb 2006 and believe it is the safest, most reliable vehicle I've ever had, even ahead of my 1992 BMW 850i. The BMW, with 12 cylinders, is quicker, but only barely, and the MB holds the road in the middle of a Fairbanks, Alaskan winter remarkably. Perhaps it is the original German All-Season ContiTouring Continental tires. The strength of that 5 liter V-8 is especially noticeable when accelerating at speed. It gives a burst of power. I am 6'2" and find the front seat room comfortable. Gas mileage is so-so in town at 17 mpg and 24+ on the highway but that's not why you buy this car. The car feels safe and runs well despite our severe weather extremes (-50F in winter and +85F in summer). Local dealer provides good service too. I highly recommend the E-500 4-matic for drivers who want power, safety and quality for year-round driving."

The E500 is a solid well made sedan.

By on Sunday, March 02, 2014

Pros: "Fast, solid, very predictable handling,"

Cons: "Expensive to maintain if dealer dependent"

"I purchased my 2004 E500 used in 2006 with just 3400 miles on it from Herb Gordon Mercedes in Maryland. This car has delivered 130,000 miles without any serious problems. Sure the minor stuff wore out, like a few oxygen sensors and the rear bellows at 131,000 mile mark. Maintenance is easy, oil changes every 10,000 miles and transmission fluid changes every 40,000 miles. Some owners are having transmission and electrical problems, mine has been fine. The engine in these cars seem to be bullet proof. Mine is still very strong and gets 26 mpg with the cruise control at 70 mph. Living in Florida, A/C is important. The majority of older BMW's I see have overheated occupants in a sagging car, not MB. The suspension is excellent. At the 110,000 mile mark I told the dealer to check out the car from front to back, basically offering a blank check. Recommendations were: 2 ball joints and spark plug change-that was all. The E500 is a very well made car and with the exception of some electrical problems and a few reported transmission problems these are excellent cars. Smooth, solid, fast and have excellent grip for a big sedan. If you are considering one get an E550 2007 or later. Steering, brakes and engine have been improved. Get a low mileage good one and you'll be pleased. But beware, these cars are not Toyotas; they require attentive maintenance and if you are dealer dependent then you should factor in a few maintenance dollars into your operating costs."

They Don't Get Any Better than THIS!

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

"I have owned hundeds of cars in my lifetime and this one tops them all. Always bought S class and SL's. Have owned all of the BMW's and Jaguars. At age 58, decided to just buy a nice toy. I found this 2003 E320 with 180,000 miles a few months ago and have had nothing but pleasure. I had never owned a car with over 100K but was always aware of the E320 reliability. I'm SOLD!!! She drives as good as my 2007 S Class. Not one complaint. Just drove it from Chi to Vegas without any reservations. Sensational Ride. Plan to go at least another 180,000 miles. Haven't bought anything but gas (30 MPG)"

Pure Indulgence

By on Monday, January 07, 2013

Pros: "Classy, runs smooth, reliable"

Cons: "Expensive to fix."

"I love, love, love my E320. I have had it for 7 years. It's the longest I have ever owned a vehicle and I NEVER want it to die. I will keep it for as long as it runs. It has NEVER let me down. Sure it needs a batterie(ies) or breaks or tires now and then, but it is class, style, substance and gorgeous. Driving this anywhere is pure elegance and grace. I am so fortunate to own this car!"

My first Mercedes, and I was impressed.

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

"This was my first Mercedes after having two(2) BMW's previously. The comfort of the ride and the handling characteristics are unbeatable. I would get excellent gas mileage,24-28 mpg on the highway. I kept the car garaged and never let it set outside in the hot sun. The exterior and interior are in excellent shape. No scrapes or scratches. 77,000 miles for a 13 year old car of this type is very low average miles. It should be a very good car for many years to come."

I've owned Benz for 25 year and this is fun!

By on Thursday, September 29, 2011

Pros: "appearance, construction, fuel economy, comfort, transmission,"

Cons: "A little too soft in the ride, yup the cup holders are inconvenient."

"I own a BluTec and drive fast and with a purpose, I enjoy driving! Have owned ML 320's and ML350 Special Edition, a 420, a 190, a 300SL, a 300E, and am happy to say the 300 BluTec is super fun. Tremendous torque, pulls mountains and accelerates uphill like a vehicle with much greater HP. Not a solid cornering vehicle in the mountains at 70-80mph but the stock tire width holds with no problem, takes some getting used to if you've been driving a true sports car. Top end craps out about 130MPH, but give me break that's got to be enough. MPG with the diesel averages 36-37, and on long trips I documented 40MPG. With current fuel prices I figure I'm paying half of premium fuel price per gallon. Inside, with 4 people, we're very comfortable, a 5th person is going to hate life. This is a sharp ride and people comment on it's appearance, but they go nuts when you tell them it's diesel, a common comment is "it doesn't sound like a diesel." With zero unscheduled maintenance the E300 runs flawlessly. One nasty is the $400 to change the fuel filter, but this isn't just any diesel, it's a Benz and that's as good as it gets so take care of the normal maintenance. If you like quality construction and want see it in the flesh, look under the rocker panels on this car, they're galvanized. That's quality."

Very Expensive Vehicle

By on Thursday, May 12, 2011

"We have owned this car since new, and have babied it. 113,000 miles, and here is the most recent repairs at Mercedes Dealer:Water Pump and Pulleys $700, SVS Brake Controller $1800, E service $1,000, Fuel Filter $600, Valve Covers leaking $1400, Sensor "Brain" for inter. wipers/lights/int.equip., $600, Leaking Rear Main seal $2200. The car books for around 10k.... This is our second one, the first one went back under the Lemon Law. I will never own another Mercedes, nor will I recommend to anyone."

Fun car to drive... but too much time in the shop

By on Tuesday, July 20, 2010

"I have an '06 E55 AMG. After just over four years of driving, I've put 73k miles. I love this car dearly--it is an absolute pleasure to drive... when it's working properly... This vehicle has had an unbelievable number visits to the shop! I've dealt with minor electrical issues involving the turn signals, and the sun roof and the battery began going out after 2 1/2 yrs... a bit premature considering it's supposed to be a 4 year battery. Those were annoying issues, but didn't hault me from getting to my destination. However, the major repairs included a faulty supercharger boost sensor, mass air flow sensor, the replacement of various engine pullies 9 different times before 50k. The problem was finally resolved (the belt was riding toward the edge of the pulley causing it to go out) and I haven't had any issues for the last 20k. I've had the suspension worked on four times. The first two were under warranty at 40k miles and one more time just before the warranty expired at 50k miles. The third suspension issue was costly and involved rebuilding the front left side at 60k. The fourth time happened today when the airomatic suspension system went out on my front passenger side causing the wheel to rub in the wheel well. Basically, I've had it... I'm trading this vehicle in as soon as the repairs are complete. Don't buy an MB vehicle with the air suspension or all of the bells and whistles--it's complete garbage! Each convenience feature is one more thing that will break... If I do buy another, I won't keep it past the warranty. I've spent thousands on repairs that would never have happened on a Lexus or Infiniti with twice the miles. I would have never kept this car this long, but I was too hooked on how fun it is to drive!!"

problem vehicle from the beginning

By on Monday, October 26, 2009

"We purchansed this vehicle based on Mercedes reputation. It has been an disaster from the beginning. The electrical system was fraught with problems right from the start. Now 5 yrs. later with only 26K miles, it has needed to have a master bolt replaced, tires replaced, the electronic stabalization system replaced, and now the electronic starter and the related system is down. The mechanic at the dealership told me to never buy an E class, but rather to buy a C class as the repair rate is much lower. I am very disappointed with this car and would never recommend it to anyone."

Class Ride

By on Saturday, July 04, 2009

"Purchased a used one with 75K miles. Now have over 100K miles. Only problem was burned out light bulb. Very pleased with ride and comfort. Excellent road car for long trips. Very pleased with fuel economy. Plan to buy a new one when this one hits 200K miles. You can really tell the favorable difference between this and American/Japanese cars."

E500

By on Thursday, March 13, 2008

"Minor problems that require the dealer to fix. Every dealer visit is a 3 day affair. On top of that, MB always wants to do some kind of service. If these cars can't go 100,000 miles with nothing more than a fluid and brake change, then what do you get for $64,000? When my '95 Chevy pickup goes 210,000 miles with minimal service, then why should anybody buy a MB? If you do, then keep a Chevy in the garage as a spare."

Greatest Drives I had in years

By on Friday, May 10, 2013

Pros: "Dynamic, comfort, look, fast"

Cons: "It's a Mercedes, parts and repairs may be costly"

"This 2005 Mercedes E500 has been the nicest car I've owned. Comfort, speed, luxury. This car has it all. From the 5.0 V8 engine, to the comfortable leather seating. The dynamic suspension, at the push of a button you drive in comfort, and with the same button, you can lower the suspension to drive it like a sports car. This beauty really sticks to the road and I wouldn't feel safer in another car. I highly recommend this beauty."

German excellence

By on Saturday, November 15, 2008

"We have been buying Mercedes cars for over 30 years, first was a 1972 280 sel. The 2007 E 350 is the best yet. Power , good gas milage and excellent quality. Much better quality and relioability then the previous E300 we owned. We test drove Lexus, Infinity, bmw the Mercedes was by far the best of them all."

Injector Trouble

By on Monday, October 27, 2008

"True it was bad diesel, but the fuel filter failed to contain the contaminents. This caused 2 injectors to miss and cost me $2k to replace them. Not to mention lousy dealer service which is pretty much the norm with cutbacks these days."