2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 627 Ratings for the 2003 - 2009 models.

Fantastic fuel mileage, superior ride quality

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pros: "Great power, fuel mileage and luxurious"

Cons: "Pricey turbo charger replacement"

"I have driven this car for two years. It was a one-owner when purchased. The car has been very dependable, aside from having to replace a pricey turbo charger, the car has been fabulous. The power off the line is very surprising. I get approximately 500 miles to a tank of fuel!! It even has massaging seats!! Overall, the ride is very Mercedes-like, the drive is tight and the surroundings are very supple."

Wood, Leather

By on Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pros: "You feel like a million bucks, surrounded by leather and burled wood!"

Cons: "Everybody assumes that you're rich -- while you think you just found a good value."

"We have been driving our 2007 MB-E320 Bluetec for over 2 years. We can't say enough about the total reliability and elegance of this car! It is loaded with "creature comforts" that make it a pleasure to drive, or ride in. In addition to being my comfortable daily driver for work, we have thoroughly enjoyed long trips using the navigational system, heated, power seats, sensational sound system and integrated phone. Everything is easy, pleasant and elegant. Not to mention excellent gas mileage! On trips we average 32-34mpg. We will definitely remain MB customers, for life!"

Best car ever!!

By on Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Pros: "mpg, convenience, simplicity, comfort, reliability"

Cons: "resale value, somewhat dull styling"

"I bought this car new in february of 2008 and have not had one problem since. With the diesel engine I have achieved 38 miles per gallon a couple times. The navigation and technology is incredibly easy to use, the ride is smooth, and with 80,000 miles showing on the clock the other day, it feels like it just left the dealership. I have not had any problems except things like headlights and taillights which are normal repairs. I have always had it serviced with my Mercedes dealership and have all the service records. this is by far one of my favorite cars I have ever owned, among many as I am 54 years old. I plan on keeping this car to over 250,000 miles, that is how much I trust it."

Well built

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Cons: "Headlights wear down quickly"

"Bought this car from my dad with 110,000 miles on it. He never had any issues with it in the first 100k miles and I haven't had any issues since. Great acceleration and superior handling going into its 10th year."

Excellent E500 4-matic for Winter

By on Sunday, August 12, 2007

"I've had my 2004 E500 4-matic AWD since Feb 2006 and believe it is the safest, most reliable vehicle I've ever had, even ahead of my 1992 BMW 850i. The BMW, with 12 cylinders, is quicker, but only barely, and the MB holds the road in the middle of a Fairbanks, Alaskan winter remarkably. Perhaps it is the original German All-Season ContiTouring Continental tires. The strength of that 5 liter V-8 is especially noticeable when accelerating at speed. It gives a burst of power. I am 6'2" and find the front seat room comfortable. Gas mileage is so-so in town at 17 mpg and 24+ on the highway but that's not why you buy this car. The car feels safe and runs well despite our severe weather extremes (-50F in winter and +85F in summer). Local dealer provides good service too. I highly recommend the E-500 4-matic for drivers who want power, safety and quality for year-round driving."

The E500 is a solid well made sedan.

By on Sunday, March 02, 2014

Pros: "Fast, solid, very predictable handling,"

Cons: "Expensive to maintain if dealer dependent"

"I purchased my 2004 E500 used in 2006 with just 3400 miles on it from Herb Gordon Mercedes in Maryland. This car has delivered 130,000 miles without any serious problems. Sure the minor stuff wore out, like a few oxygen sensors and the rear bellows at 131,000 mile mark. Maintenance is easy, oil changes every 10,000 miles and transmission fluid changes every 40,000 miles. Some owners are having transmission and electrical problems, mine has been fine. The engine in these cars seem to be bullet proof. Mine is still very strong and gets 26 mpg with the cruise control at 70 mph. Living in Florida, A/C is important. The majority of older BMW's I see have overheated occupants in a sagging car, not MB. The suspension is excellent. At the 110,000 mile mark I told the dealer to check out the car from front to back, basically offering a blank check. Recommendations were: 2 ball joints and spark plug change-that was all. The E500 is a very well made car and with the exception of some electrical problems and a few reported transmission problems these are excellent cars. Smooth, solid, fast and have excellent grip for a big sedan. If you are considering one get an E550 2007 or later. Steering, brakes and engine have been improved. Get a low mileage good one and you'll be pleased. But beware, these cars are not Toyotas; they require attentive maintenance and if you are dealer dependent then you should factor in a few maintenance dollars into your operating costs."

They Don't Get Any Better than THIS!

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

"I have owned hundeds of cars in my lifetime and this one tops them all. Always bought S class and SL's. Have owned all of the BMW's and Jaguars. At age 58, decided to just buy a nice toy. I found this 2003 E320 with 180,000 miles a few months ago and have had nothing but pleasure. I had never owned a car with over 100K but was always aware of the E320 reliability. I'm SOLD!!! She drives as good as my 2007 S Class. Not one complaint. Just drove it from Chi to Vegas without any reservations. Sensational Ride. Plan to go at least another 180,000 miles. Haven't bought anything but gas (30 MPG)"

Pure Indulgence

By on Monday, January 07, 2013

Pros: "Classy, runs smooth, reliable"

Cons: "Expensive to fix."

"I love, love, love my E320. I have had it for 7 years. It's the longest I have ever owned a vehicle and I NEVER want it to die. I will keep it for as long as it runs. It has NEVER let me down. Sure it needs a batterie(ies) or breaks or tires now and then, but it is class, style, substance and gorgeous. Driving this anywhere is pure elegance and grace. I am so fortunate to own this car!"

My first Mercedes, and I was impressed.

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

"This was my first Mercedes after having two(2) BMW's previously. The comfort of the ride and the handling characteristics are unbeatable. I would get excellent gas mileage,24-28 mpg on the highway. I kept the car garaged and never let it set outside in the hot sun. The exterior and interior are in excellent shape. No scrapes or scratches. 77,000 miles for a 13 year old car of this type is very low average miles. It should be a very good car for many years to come."

I've owned Benz for 25 year and this is fun!

By on Thursday, September 29, 2011

Pros: "appearance, construction, fuel economy, comfort, transmission,"

Cons: "A little too soft in the ride, yup the cup holders are inconvenient."

"I own a BluTec and drive fast and with a purpose, I enjoy driving! Have owned ML 320's and ML350 Special Edition, a 420, a 190, a 300SL, a 300E, and am happy to say the 300 BluTec is super fun. Tremendous torque, pulls mountains and accelerates uphill like a vehicle with much greater HP. Not a solid cornering vehicle in the mountains at 70-80mph but the stock tire width holds with no problem, takes some getting used to if you've been driving a true sports car. Top end craps out about 130MPH, but give me break that's got to be enough. MPG with the diesel averages 36-37, and on long trips I documented 40MPG. With current fuel prices I figure I'm paying half of premium fuel price per gallon. Inside, with 4 people, we're very comfortable, a 5th person is going to hate life. This is a sharp ride and people comment on it's appearance, but they go nuts when you tell them it's diesel, a common comment is "it doesn't sound like a diesel." With zero unscheduled maintenance the E300 runs flawlessly. One nasty is the $400 to change the fuel filter, but this isn't just any diesel, it's a Benz and that's as good as it gets so take care of the normal maintenance. If you like quality construction and want see it in the flesh, look under the rocker panels on this car, they're galvanized. That's quality."