2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 638 Ratings for the 2003 - 2009 models.

Wood, Leather

By on Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pros: "You feel like a million bucks, surrounded by leather and burled wood!"

Cons: "Everybody assumes that you're rich -- while you think you just found a good value."

"We have been driving our 2007 MB-E320 Bluetec for over 2 years. We can't say enough about the total reliability and elegance of this car! It is loaded with "creature comforts" that make it a pleasure to drive, or ride in. In addition to being my comfortable daily driver for work, we have thoroughly enjoyed long trips using the navigational system, heated, power seats, sensational sound system and integrated phone. Everything is easy, pleasant and elegant. Not to mention excellent gas mileage! On trips we average 32-34mpg. We will definitely remain MB customers, for life!"

Very Expensive Vehicle

By on Thursday, May 12, 2011

"We have owned this car since new, and have babied it. 113,000 miles, and here is the most recent repairs at Mercedes Dealer:Water Pump and Pulleys $700, SVS Brake Controller $1800, E service $1,000, Fuel Filter $600, Valve Covers leaking $1400, Sensor "Brain" for inter. wipers/lights/int.equip., $600, Leaking Rear Main seal $2200. The car books for around 10k.... This is our second one, the first one went back under the Lemon Law. I will never own another Mercedes, nor will I recommend to anyone."

Fun car to drive... but too much time in the shop

By on Tuesday, July 20, 2010

"I have an '06 E55 AMG. After just over four years of driving, I've put 73k miles. I love this car dearly--it is an absolute pleasure to drive... when it's working properly... This vehicle has had an unbelievable number visits to the shop! I've dealt with minor electrical issues involving the turn signals, and the sun roof and the battery began going out after 2 1/2 yrs... a bit premature considering it's supposed to be a 4 year battery. Those were annoying issues, but didn't hault me from getting to my destination. However, the major repairs included a faulty supercharger boost sensor, mass air flow sensor, the replacement of various engine pullies 9 different times before 50k. The problem was finally resolved (the belt was riding toward the edge of the pulley causing it to go out) and I haven't had any issues for the last 20k. I've had the suspension worked on four times. The first two were under warranty at 40k miles and one more time just before the warranty expired at 50k miles. The third suspension issue was costly and involved rebuilding the front left side at 60k. The fourth time happened today when the airomatic suspension system went out on my front passenger side causing the wheel to rub in the wheel well. Basically, I've had it... I'm trading this vehicle in as soon as the repairs are complete. Don't buy an MB vehicle with the air suspension or all of the bells and whistles--it's complete garbage! Each convenience feature is one more thing that will break... If I do buy another, I won't keep it past the warranty. I've spent thousands on repairs that would never have happened on a Lexus or Infiniti with twice the miles. I would have never kept this car this long, but I was too hooked on how fun it is to drive!!"

They Don't Get Any Better than THIS!

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

"I have owned hundeds of cars in my lifetime and this one tops them all. Always bought S class and SL's. Have owned all of the BMW's and Jaguars. At age 58, decided to just buy a nice toy. I found this 2003 E320 with 180,000 miles a few months ago and have had nothing but pleasure. I had never owned a car with over 100K but was always aware of the E320 reliability. I'm SOLD!!! She drives as good as my 2007 S Class. Not one complaint. Just drove it from Chi to Vegas without any reservations. Sensational Ride. Plan to go at least another 180,000 miles. Haven't bought anything but gas (30 MPG)"

Pure Indulgence

By on Monday, January 07, 2013

Pros: "Classy, runs smooth, reliable"

Cons: "Expensive to fix."

"I love, love, love my E320. I have had it for 7 years. It's the longest I have ever owned a vehicle and I NEVER want it to die. I will keep it for as long as it runs. It has NEVER let me down. Sure it needs a batterie(ies) or breaks or tires now and then, but it is class, style, substance and gorgeous. Driving this anywhere is pure elegance and grace. I am so fortunate to own this car!"

problem vehicle from the beginning

By on Monday, October 26, 2009

"We purchansed this vehicle based on Mercedes reputation. It has been an disaster from the beginning. The electrical system was fraught with problems right from the start. Now 5 yrs. later with only 26K miles, it has needed to have a master bolt replaced, tires replaced, the electronic stabalization system replaced, and now the electronic starter and the related system is down. The mechanic at the dealership told me to never buy an E class, but rather to buy a C class as the repair rate is much lower. I am very disappointed with this car and would never recommend it to anyone."

My first Mercedes, and I was impressed.

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

"This was my first Mercedes after having two(2) BMW's previously. The comfort of the ride and the handling characteristics are unbeatable. I would get excellent gas mileage,24-28 mpg on the highway. I kept the car garaged and never let it set outside in the hot sun. The exterior and interior are in excellent shape. No scrapes or scratches. 77,000 miles for a 13 year old car of this type is very low average miles. It should be a very good car for many years to come."

I've owned Benz for 25 year and this is fun!

By on Thursday, September 29, 2011

Pros: "appearance, construction, fuel economy, comfort, transmission,"

Cons: "A little too soft in the ride, yup the cup holders are inconvenient."

"I own a BluTec and drive fast and with a purpose, I enjoy driving! Have owned ML 320's and ML350 Special Edition, a 420, a 190, a 300SL, a 300E, and am happy to say the 300 BluTec is super fun. Tremendous torque, pulls mountains and accelerates uphill like a vehicle with much greater HP. Not a solid cornering vehicle in the mountains at 70-80mph but the stock tire width holds with no problem, takes some getting used to if you've been driving a true sports car. Top end craps out about 130MPH, but give me break that's got to be enough. MPG with the diesel averages 36-37, and on long trips I documented 40MPG. With current fuel prices I figure I'm paying half of premium fuel price per gallon. Inside, with 4 people, we're very comfortable, a 5th person is going to hate life. This is a sharp ride and people comment on it's appearance, but they go nuts when you tell them it's diesel, a common comment is "it doesn't sound like a diesel." With zero unscheduled maintenance the E300 runs flawlessly. One nasty is the $400 to change the fuel filter, but this isn't just any diesel, it's a Benz and that's as good as it gets so take care of the normal maintenance. If you like quality construction and want see it in the flesh, look under the rocker panels on this car, they're galvanized. That's quality."

Class Ride

By on Saturday, July 04, 2009

"Purchased a used one with 75K miles. Now have over 100K miles. Only problem was burned out light bulb. Very pleased with ride and comfort. Excellent road car for long trips. Very pleased with fuel economy. Plan to buy a new one when this one hits 200K miles. You can really tell the favorable difference between this and American/Japanese cars."

E500

By on Thursday, March 13, 2008

"Minor problems that require the dealer to fix. Every dealer visit is a 3 day affair. On top of that, MB always wants to do some kind of service. If these cars can't go 100,000 miles with nothing more than a fluid and brake change, then what do you get for $64,000? When my '95 Chevy pickup goes 210,000 miles with minimal service, then why should anybody buy a MB? If you do, then keep a Chevy in the garage as a spare."