2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 504 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

So much fun. So reliable. A classic!

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive. Classic look. Great paint."

Cons: "At 10 years old the air cannot be inexpensively re"

"Totally worth the money. We are hard on cars and our Mercedes E320 is lasting through all the wear and tear. The repair cost vs the mileage is remarkable. Our air is out and not worth fixing, but I would drive cross country on a cool day in a minute... No worries! I expect it to work past 300,000 miles just keep up with oil changes."

They just don't make them like this anymore....

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pros: "$ has come down recently. Built like a tank."

Cons: "Front cup holder, rear window regulators."

"What a great car. Even though mine is (almost) 15 years old, I still get compliments and questions at gas stations and in parking lots all the time. Classic Mercedes look and built like a tank. You can really get a feel for how well the car is built the moment you start it. I looked at a 2010 E-class a few weeks ago and thought about trading mine in, until I drove the new one. This car has so many advantages to the newer ones. ($$, too) Great on twisty roads (don't treat it like a small two-door though) good mileage for a strong V-8 and a wonderful highway ride. Again, build quality is great, but remember, it is a car, and let's face it, cars break sometimes. Mine has only been in the shop twice, and both times hurt. Finding a small repair shop to fix these things can be tough so you may be stuck with returning to the dealer for repairs. OUCH! If you buy one, keep it maintained and I bet you'll be as happy with it as I am with mine."

Best Car Yet!

By on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

"I purchased this car about a year ago with 209,000 and 15,000 miles later I didn't have to do anything to it except New Tires and Routine Service. Most people are turned away from a car that has high mileage but as most people know Mercedes run forever as long as they are well taken care of. Make sure that before you do buy a car with High Mileage make sure that you have it checked by someone who knows what to look for especially invisible problems that you cant see with the naked eye. I know I got a great deal because I bought this car for 4,400 and the Kelly blue book at the time was I believe around 7,500. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone and that just because a car has high mileage doesn't mean its a piece of junk!"

By on Monday, March 8, 2010

"I bought this car with 248k on it had it checked out by a MB dealer and the only thing wrong with it was a slight oil leak. Which we replaced the seal on it. Everything else the mechanic said it was excellent! I couldn't believe that an 11 yr. old car (MY1999) with that kind of mileage would still have such a strong engine and transmission! The tech said if I didn't want to buy it he would!"

Best car I have ever own for the money.

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pros: "Very dependable"

Cons: "Costly repairs but not that often."

"I've owned several high end cars and usually trade them in before I get close to +80k miles. But this car even now drives and performs like a newer car. I often wondered why I would see several older models on the road now I know why they don't quite. Repairs are on the high end but not as often. Well worth the money I paid new."

Best Car Ever!

By on Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Pros: "Great pleasure in driving it. Safety."

Cons: "Leather seats are a little hard."

"Incredibly comfortable, secure handling and great feeling of quality. My wife also loves our E320 Station Wagon for the same reasons. I spend a good deal of time maintaining it but I thoroughly enjoy working and admiring its sophisticated engineering and design. The key to this car is MAINTENANCE. We get 23.5 MPG in town and 28 MPG on highway trips. Love it!"

Nothing but problems

By on Sunday, November 4, 2007

"I purchased a 1999 E300TD new and have had problems with the car ever since I drove it out of the dealership. Most of the problems were electrical, but there were many mechanical problems as well. Rear windows that needed multiple repairs, headrest that wouldn't go up and down, glow plugs that needed to be replaced prematurely, transmission problems, and even had to have the radio replaced. The car also had problems with a security thing in the engine that kept the car from starting - it seems no one else had ever had such a problem and the part was almost impossible to find. In short, I'll never buy another Mercedes again."

Was engineered for the Autobahn.

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pros: "Rock soild and safe"

Cons: "People will think you are wealthy"

"Best part about owning this car is the cost. I paid $8000 8 years ago for it. New was over $50,000. People think it costs a lot to repair but it's not any more than any 10+ year old car out there. In fact if you are mechanically minded and are willing to do a little online research you will find this a joy to work on. The engineering was over and beyond anything I have ever owned, in fact everything that needs to be worked on has easy access or has a peculiar trick that makes working on this a breeze. This car has been driven from coast to coast and it is a joy on long road trips. People always comment on how nice this car looks and drives. Funny since it's worth less than $3000.00 . Here's the negative. I have the original chrome wheels. Unless you have new tires mounted they will leak and 4 new chrome wheels cost more than the car. "Chrome looks the best hands down on older Mercedes". My car in particular is old and it has it's issues. Drive train is rock solid but there's always some little issue cropping up. Emissions is more complicated but everything is fairly easy to fix. Oil change is a breeze, remove filter without getting under the car. Everyone should own a Mercedes at least once in their lifetime. I'm looking at replacing this with another 10 year old Mercedes."

love it

By on Thursday, December 15, 2011

Pros: "fun, gorgeous, powerful enough"

Cons: "suspension is subpar"

fresh

"love it, but unfortunately i have to sell it. at this mileage its turned into a money pit, but its going to be hard to let go"

fresh

E-300 Diesel Review

By on Thursday, May 1, 2008

"Super dependable, however just about everything outside of the drive trian and brakes has broken. My wife's Pontiac's sunfire has a better track record. Electrical switches are all failing one by one, suspension has had several costly issues, and the AC components constantly fail. All are documented issues online. Good to great fuel economy, have reached 38 Mpg traveling at 70 Mph, but don't expect this to be a worry free fuel-up-and-go car."