2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 500 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

The good, the bad and the ugly

By on Saturday, March 08, 2008

"The ride is great and I love the mpg. It's slow on the take off and takes a little geting use to. The bad things are the little things that go wrong (power seat switches, dash warning lights, glow plugs, window up and down motors in the rear, rear window shade, fuel connections leaks, etc.) and it is expensive to fix, but the motor will last forever and it permanently keeps up with the Jone's."

Built like a Panzer Tank

By on Friday, February 22, 2008

"Love this car. Bought my '99 E320 wagon at 36000 miles in Jan 2005, now Feb 2008 and 75000 miles and still runs like new. Right after I got it I had an oil comsumption problem which turned out to be a free recall fix on bad piston rings... Got almost complete rebuild for free! Hasn't used a drop between oil changes since. Also Love the fact you can go 12000 plus miles between oil changes with flex service. Had to replace Cats, one under warranty one not... Only time it stranded me for a fix was some engine position sensor went bad and it wouldn't start or run without it... The sunroof problem has to do with voltage.. If you run too much accessories and wear your battery down, the sunroof thinks it's jammed and stops, all you have to do is turn the key on but don't start it and hold the sunroof control forward for 30 seconds or so(there is a VERY faint click, but I hardly ever hear it) then start the car and it resets the safety override... Might sell if I can find the right buyer but would drive it for another 3 years no problem! I have started to see some rust poking through at the tops of the wheel arches but after investigation, the original owner was in Michigan so there you go... Only negative is I live 60 miles from authorized service so it's a pain to go up there for service, good news is it's once a year!"

Stay Away

By on Saturday, September 22, 2007

"Worst car I have ever owned, constantly in the shop. Right rear taillight panel gone out...had to be totally replaced, MB dealer said this is common, entire driveshaft snapped in two during rush hour on interstate...took forever to get fixed because parts are hard to get, sunroof has quit working twice now, opens but won't close. Constant electrical problems that can't seem to be fixed, ABS, EAS other numerous idiot lights come on and go off at random. I hate the fact you can't even buy a replacement bulb for taillight, etc at AutoZone or any other parts store, must get from dealership. Cost of oil change has gone from $49.99 to $79.99 in past year. VERY EXPENSIVE TO MAINTAIN."

Most dependable vehicle

By on Saturday, July 14, 2007

"I am the original owner and have enjoyed this car immensely. Except for normal wear and tear (tire replacement), the only problem in the first five years was a battery replacement which was done under warranty. I followed the scheduled maintainence/service program. Car has plenty of pickup still and is extremely dependable--driven almost every weekday for 7 years except vacation."

Very comfortable and turns heads

By on Sunday, April 08, 2012

Pros: "comfortable, tons of features, powerful, stylish"

Cons: "some parts are expensive"

"Very comfortable car, has every feature you can imagine, powerful V8 with the sports package is a nice combination, and decent fuel economy for a V8 on the Highway, very reliable and stable car, sure makes people look twice and stare because its a good looking ride... cost of ownership is above average because of parts but i am a DIY'er so i saved a lot of money that way, its not that hard of a car to work on thanks to the mercedes forums."

Love this vehicle

By on Monday, January 09, 2012

Pros: "rides great, runs great"

Cons: "mercedes benz maintenance costs"

"This car is everything as advertised plus 29 miles per gallon on the highway. You drive for 4 hours and get out like you only went around the block."

By on Friday, April 23, 2010

2001 4matic magic wagon

By on Monday, August 31, 2009

"I've had this car for about 1.5 years now and it has been great. With 116k miles on it I have had almost no problems. My wife drives it everyday around town and we've had it out on a couple of long road trips. The ride is smooth and economy is good. This car replaced a 97 Expedition so it cracks me up when people say the mileage isn't so good. We average about 20 mpg on our everyday driving and on the road I've gotten up to 28, however when you push it over 80 mph it drops to about 25 mpg. It cruises nice at high speeds and you have to be careful because it doesn't feel like your going very fast at all. This has been a very reliable and comfortable vehicle with tons of room for what ever. It would be a bit better on those long road trips if it had adjustible lumbar support and blew a bit more air out the rear AC vents"

good vehicle

By on Sunday, November 30, 2008

"I bought this 1999 E320 4matic used as a Starmark preowned in 2004 for about $24,000. Had approx. 45000 miles and now has 95500. Have not had serious problems. Get about 25 mpg in mixed driving. AWD assures that it goes well in snow. Kept up A and B services as recommended. Cracks in dashboard have appeared at edges of defroster outlets. Even routine service on MBs is expensive. Getting ready to trade for a used one owner 2001 Lexus LS430 with 35,500 miles for $9000 difference. Will see how they compare."

2002 E320

By on Friday, November 07, 2008

"I bought this car used with 42,000 miles from dealership. Now has 110k on it. Pros: Runs excellent. Built like a tank - so solid. Great power - smooth like a Benz should be. Auto shifter is great. Oil filter on top - easy to change with oil boy. Milage 25mpg on average. I get 29 on highway with cruise. Cons: $1000 for a muffler. Benz maintenance is big $$ Power locks flaky Push button key fob is weird. No rear seat pass through. Over all, I am very pleased with this car. Paid 34k used versus 55k new. You do the math. If you want a really SOLID car - check out a used Benz. But save up about 2,000 for normal maintenance."

Disappointed, moving to Lexus

By on Saturday, January 12, 2008

"Original owner of 97 E320 sedan, followed all maintenance, still many problems. Head gasket replaced just after warranty..'design flaw' I was told but they wouldn't cover it. Electrical issues too numerous to detail, but all window assemblies, tail lights, mirror systems, instrument cluster, computer chips,etc. Some fixed, some too expensive given declining value of car. Engine at least runs great...fingers crossed. Lousy traction in any snow/ice...needs FWD. Otherwise comfortable, smooth ride with good performance. Buying new Lexus and keeping this for the kids. Will only consider MB when reliability is demonstrated beyond doubt."

rust never sleeps

By on Sunday, November 04, 2007

"Had this e320 for 8years and mechanically a fine workhorse. Frame and body rust killed it and had to scrap the car when front springs broke while travelling on highway. Electrical system glitches also very annoying withis year &model. Would recommend a Japenese car if you want reliability."

NOT THE OLD BENZ

By on Friday, July 27, 2007

"THIS CAR SEEMS ENGINEERED TO MAKE MAINTENANCE UNNECESSARILY COMPLICATED AND EXPENSIVE. TOO MANY DELICATE SYSTEMS THAT ARE PRONE TO FAILURE. COMFORTABLE HWY CRUISER 33MPG@75MPH"

Rustomania

By on Friday, April 04, 2014

Pros: "Reliable and Spacious"

Cons: "Rust on BODY of vehicle"

"This is a Beautiful Vehicle, my personal opinion is that it was designed for a man verses a woman (the seating and the front of the vehicle designed for tall individuals). It has a great engine. The interior is nice. Only complaint, since I am original owner- THE RUST on the door. Mercedes products are suppose to be high quality and for the price why????? The trunk is very roomy and back seat has lots of room for a child seat and passenger. Totally love this vehicle, just wish the body did NOT have RUST and that the company would stand by product. Thanks"

Drives like brand new!

By on Sunday, February 09, 2014

Pros: "handles extremely well under bad driving condition"

Cons: "expensive maintenance"

"Beautiful ride. This car drives just as well as when it came off the lot! I wouldn't drive any other car but the Mercedes Benz. Passing it down to my daughter. It's a keeper!"

Very good auto.

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

"I would buy another one."

Amazing Car

By on Sunday, February 12, 2012

"I have owned this car since 2009 and I have never had any major trouble with it. The only problem I've faced is that the CD changer died, but that's a minor inconvenience. I bought it with 108000 miles and in the last 3 years, I have put an additional 34000 miles on it. This car loves to chew down on highway miles (I once got 33 mpg on it, but it averages between 26 and 29 mpg on the highway). It's the best car I have ever owned."

Excellent quality

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

Pros: "Solid and reliable with high quality luxury"

Cons: "Vague steering at low speeds and expensive dealers"

"Excellent quality and durability with responsive (if not sporty) handling. Acceleration is mid-pack. Traction with 4MATIC is fantastic even in the worst conditions."

A diesel powered energizer - it just keeps going

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Pros: "dependable, fun to drive, great mileage"

Cons: "tires only last 25-30K miles"

"I've owned this car for 12 years now and it's been very dependable with routine maintenance. No significant unexpected repairs and there is no mistaken the Mercedes ride and comfort. I'm told repeatedly by my dealer that the newer Blue-Tech diesels are nowhere near the car this one was. So I keep it pristine with factory parts and let it keep on going."

wonderful car

By on Sunday, October 16, 2011

"If you don't love Mercedes You have never drove one! This car is comfort, stability, reliability, fast"

Currently enjoying a 185,000 mile relationship

By on Monday, September 05, 2011

Pros: "Reliable, comfortable, feeling of security ( a heavy car) ageless style, good gas milage."

Cons: "The mercilessly high prices Mercedes Benz charges for parts (and service)"

"185,000 miles thus far well worth the investment."

By on Sunday, April 24, 2011

"I bought my 2000 E320 in 2007 with 105000 miles. Great car. never let me down. Only thing I replaced were tires and A/C compresser. Drove until April 2011 put 190000 miles on it then I was hit by someone running a red light. totaled but no injury to me. I want another E320"

quick but not without faults

By on Wednesday, November 17, 2010

"Bought my '99 used with 139,000, no has 204,000 miles on it. Had the computer chipped so it's really quick, but these cars are expensive to maintain if you're not doing your own work. Prone to throwing "check engine" codes for MAF, ABS, etc. Expect to replace control arm bushings, belt tensioner, water pump (plastic impellers fail), window lift mechanism (cables break). Nothing too serious and of course this is after 200,000 miles. Still starts, runs, drives like a $50,000 car and gets 30 mpg. Just can't imagine having to pay dealer prices for repairs!"

By on Tuesday, November 16, 2010

"I have owned this car for seven years. It's my Sunday driver and has only 23,832 original miles. Looks are classic, European, handsome, masculine, and timeless. The leather smells brand new every time I open the doors. The metallic green paint is rich and glossy. The straight six 230 hp engine tugs like a locomotive. Lots of torque. The Bose sound system cannot be matched. It's practical yet made for show. You can drive all day at very high speeds and never become fatigued. There are no ergonomic drawbacks.No rattles. Hugely dependable. Probably the best Benz ever designed. Striking to behold and drive. I plan to keep this car perfect for 30 more years. I cannot believe the new E-Class cars draw this much pride."

Great used MB E320 4M

By on Thursday, August 05, 2010

"I bought this vehicle from a wholesaler with 118,000 miles on the odometer. I had approximately 8 years worth of dealer service records with the car. After much looking, I would never buy one without having access to several prior years of dealer service records. It had a few minor issues, since repaired. The dash digital displays for temperature, time and transmission gear were toasted when I got it but the service records seem to show this was a continual problem. The good news is I don't really need them so I don't worry about it. This is the best used car purchase I've ever made (except for my Corvettes, of course). No real problems in 10,000 miles. I don't hesitate to take it on 4-6 hour trips. Rides great, handles pretty good for a luxury ride (my other cars are a BMW 525, Lincoln Navigator and a Corvette), has plenty of interior and trunk room for all our stuff, great sound system (Bose) and the security of all wheel drive. I will definitely drive it till the wheels fall off and then I'll get another, maybe an S class next time."