2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 498 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

the car has been constantly in the shop

By on Wednesday, November 07, 2007

"I purchased the car used with only 50,000 .The car has not been very reliable.The break lights are out every 6mon's.I have to start the car in N,not in park..I have replaced the A/C compressor,Motor Mounts, Blower Motor Regulator,constants electrical problems and the engine lights keeps coming on. The car in now park in the driveway.. The car only has 78,000miles now and $6,000plus in repairs...I'm not happy because this was to be my retirement car...."

They just don't make them like this anymore....

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pros: "$ has come down recently. Built like a tank."

Cons: "Front cup holder, rear window regulators."

"What a great car. Even though mine is (almost) 15 years old, I still get compliments and questions at gas stations and in parking lots all the time. Classic Mercedes look and built like a tank. You can really get a feel for how well the car is built the moment you start it. I looked at a 2010 E-class a few weeks ago and thought about trading mine in, until I drove the new one. This car has so many advantages to the newer ones. ($$, too) Great on twisty roads (don't treat it like a small two-door though) good mileage for a strong V-8 and a wonderful highway ride. Again, build quality is great, but remember, it is a car, and let's face it, cars break sometimes. Mine has only been in the shop twice, and both times hurt. Finding a small repair shop to fix these things can be tough so you may be stuck with returning to the dealer for repairs. OUCH! If you buy one, keep it maintained and I bet you'll be as happy with it as I am with mine."

I love my wagon!

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

"We bought the 1999 E320 wagon used for $11K, in 2005 and it had 105,000 miles on it. The front seats are uncomfortable for my 6'3" husband. At 115,000 miles, we had to have some transmission work done to the tune of $1700. Since then, we have not any additional issues other than a few small things. Like, the back passenger window motor went out about 2 years ago. The auto locks don't work (but the alarm does). The AC went out at about 130K miles, but we replaced with a private mechanic for $750. Don't take this car to a MB dealer - you will pay top dollar for repairs. We have also replaced the oxygen sensor at 175K - bought the part for $80 and my hubby put in it. It now needs an oil sensor - again, the part is under $100. I have never been stranded in this car and told my hubby when we got it that I would keep it until the odometer read 200K. We're there and as long as she'll run, I'll drive her! My only complaint is that our boys are getting bigger and that big seat isn't growing any. The front seats are uncomfortable for my 6'3" husband."

Best Car Yet!

By on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

"I purchased this car about a year ago with 209,000 and 15,000 miles later I didn't have to do anything to it except New Tires and Routine Service. Most people are turned away from a car that has high mileage but as most people know Mercedes run forever as long as they are well taken care of. Make sure that before you do buy a car with High Mileage make sure that you have it checked by someone who knows what to look for especially invisible problems that you cant see with the naked eye. I know I got a great deal because I bought this car for 4,400 and the Kelly blue book at the time was I believe around 7,500. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone and that just because a car has high mileage doesn't mean its a piece of junk!"

Love it

By on Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"I purchased this car (1996 E320) in 2007. It had 105,000 miles at the time. Since, I have put 28,000 miles on the car and replaced the water pump, one ignition coil and brake pads. As for performance, I have found the car to be surprisingly quick and agile. Its performance and handling are made more impressive by the fact that vehicle maintains a rock-solid feel and provides a spacious, comfortable, quiet environment for its passengers. I've owned many cars (a quick count says 25 in the past 25 years and I know I'm forgetting a few) in my life and this is the first one that I have owned that I wasn't looking to trade-in within a year of owning it. I love my E320 and would only part with it for a newer model E or S class. I would absolutely recommend this car to anyone considering it for purchase."