• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 498 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

So much fun. So reliable. A classic!

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive. Classic look. Great paint."

Cons: "At 10 years old the air cannot be inexpensively re"

"Totally worth the money. We are hard on cars and our Mercedes E320 is lasting through all the wear and tear. The repair cost vs the mileage is remarkable. Our air is out and not worth fixing, but I would drive cross country on a cool day in a minute... No worries! I expect it to work past 300,000 miles just keep up with oil changes."

Love it!!

By on Monday, August 20, 2012

Pros: "Secure feeling when driving"

Cons: "do not realize how fast you are going"

"I bought a 1999 E320 AWD and have loved this car! My car has over 281100 miles on it and has only needed an alternator and a water pump. Great gas mileage and comfort! I will have a tear in my eye when I trade it in we have done a lot of road time together!!"

saved my life

By on Saturday, September 29, 2012

Pros: "Good reliability and value"

Cons: "flimsy cupholders"

"I had an 2002 E-320 4matic with 158,000 miles on it, I rear ended somebody and it got totaled, but the safety features saved my life, the hood folded up and the engine mount went downwards, I was able to find another 2002 E-320 RWD with 84000. miles on it and it drives like new, I definitely would recommend this line of Mercedes Benz."

Last of the best

By on Thursday, December 01, 2011

Pros: "extremely reliable, comfortable for long rides"

Cons: "routine maintenance commitment"

"I don't consider myself a big car person, having owned two other Mercedes (C and SLK class), but when my C class life ended, I found this one. Handling is amazing, and it's saved my life literally twice, but what I chuckle at weekly is the gas mileage - I get much better than even smaller classes below mine, at 25 city and up to 35mpg highway! This particular car is very high quality - it is so roomy that I have put quite a number of DIY projects in it, without a problem (of course, careful to not scratch the leather). This was the last year the E430s were made, and many of the E and even S class cars (500 ) are smaller in room and overall size. Anyone with a Mercedes will tell you that the scheduled maintenance is the key to enjoyment - some consider this a minus, but I don't. This keeps costs low and out of the shop overall. Find a great mechanic, and stay on top of your scheduled A and B maintenance, and you'll have a car for many many years beyond other cars, and without headaches."

E-320

By on Monday, March 17, 2008

"Bought this car as a used car, which had been reasonably well mainteined over the years. Very minor cosmetic issues. The engine is very reliable and the transmission very smooth. It is comfortable, although sometimes I would wish for an extra inch at the well (I'm 6.2" and have long legs). I am happy with it and will invest in some issues which have come up (after all, it does have 117,000 miles) and bring it up to snuff. The gas mileage is good (av. 20 mpg 18 city/24 road - although premium, which offsets the good mileage, lower cost issue) and should last a few more years with a relatively modest investment in repairs."