1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 504 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

Great car overall!

By on Thursday, March 6, 2008

"The best part of owning this car is the ability to drive many different loaner models since it was always in the shop for the first few months of ownership. Boy am I happy that I bought Mercedes Extended Warranty - it really works! However, after all of these quirks were sorted out, the car has been really good. Overall, it is a great car that needs attention. Any time you hear or see anything on the warning screen, research the issue and resolve it immediately! You'll be happy that you did."

97 Mercedes Benz E420

By on Saturday, February 9, 2008

"Have owned this 10 year old car for 8 years, putting a total of 122,000 miles on it. Except for 3 minor problems that required repair, this car is outstanding. When a problem does occur, it seems to cost about 50% more to repair than a typical car. With an MSRP of $55,000 new, a 10 year-old can be acquired for about $8,000...a great performance drive for little coin. The insurance rates are quite low also...because of a low claims experience. This car looks nearly new, has classical styling and a safety quotient that makes it a substantial used car for a young driver that you want to be protected in the event of a collision. Fortunately, this car has never required any body repair. Great Brakes, amazing turning radius, smooth acceleration and unequalled style makes a used E420 a great buy."

Excellent Car

By on Wednesday, February 6, 2008

"I've had my E320 for almost six years, and I love it. There's nothing like a Benz (BMW is the next best thing). Car is rock solid, heavy, powerful, and extremely well engineered. It handles exceptionally well, while still pampering. This particular model had a few problems. Check the transmission carefully - there were some problems with them. Both rear door window regulators broke within a few months of each other, $400 each to fix. A few other problems, but none for quite a while. Not reliable like a Honda, but then not boring like one, either. Excellent driving experience in every way."

Believe The Hype

By on Monday, January 21, 2008

"I have the E420 (only yr for this body and the 4.2 V8). I put over 3k miles on the car within two months of buying it ...and this was primarily driving only on the weekends. STRONG acceleration w/ the V-8 (although my Seville STS "feels" faster; BTW a Benz WILL do a burn-out). Handling is outstanding when not driving at the limit. Don't worry that the automotive press says that the BMW 540 handles better. If you're wringing that last little bit of capability you don't need to be on the streets; take it to the track. The 420 is a great highway cruiser w/ decent highway fuel economy especially for a V-8. The feeling of solidity is phenomenal; it feels like a vault. I don't like the flimsy cup-holder (well, the Germans don't believe in drinking beverages while doing Autobahn speeds; probably a good idea) and wish I had adjustable lumbar support on my particular car. So far reliable although I did replace a driver's front wheel bearing (just went ahead and did both fronts) and the radiator @ less than 90k (do yourself a favor and get an extended warranty); I see another Benz in my future.""

Best Driving Car Ever

By on Wednesday, December 26, 2007

"I have owned this car for 4 years now and love it. I have owned many cars and this has been the best by far."

Rust and Repairs

By on Monday, October 29, 2007

"I purchased this vehicle new and took very good care of it but was rewarded with severe rust, suspension, and engine mount problems. Fuel pump failure at 106,000 miles called for a $6800 solution on top of $2400 in ancillary repairs which prompted me to scrap the car. I have owned 3 Mercedes and must say that while beautiful and high performing, the maintenance costs are extreme and the long term value very disappointing."

great car

By on Sunday, October 14, 2007

"i have always been a mb guy, and always had s-classes, but i was very surprised when i got an e320. it's very comfortable, especially on the highway, handles great even at high speeds, and cheap to maintain (if you do maintanance yourself). it truly is the king of the road, and it has a lot of power. been very satisfied."

Got a MB or you ain't got it

By on Wednesday, August 15, 2007

"Stand it front of it, look at it and let it whisper you "wanna ride?" This vehicle has more practical sophistication than anything else in the market of similar year. More room that you know what to do with. Tie downs, cargo net, valuables cover, etc. Ride is solid and commanding. Headed for a cul-de-sac doing 35, turn the wheel and it turned responsibly with no signs of slipping, wagging, or excessive tilting. This V6 engine is adequately powerful to its class design and to the needs of our family. Is smooth when just cruising but if you step-on-it can turn into a tiger chasing a prey. It can seat 7 belted passengers and room for some other stuff. We are very grateful to the full size spare tire. No funny toy wheel to "Get-Off-The Freeway-and-park". We continued our trek without funny-wheel speed and distance limitations. This car surely feels solid and nimble, heavy but 29mpg on the highway. Speeds between 65-85 don't seem to affect mileage. Normally my spouse gets 22-23 mpg and I get 24-25 mixed driving. This car in now 6 years old and people still take it for new. We've lost the rear plates ergo is taken for new. Beautiful sound surrounds the interior through our Bose system and is nicely tuned for all around listening styles, including talk shows. Otherwise, it is quiet inside. We have a Japanese car in our arsenal and there is a noticeable difference when you pull in anywhere in the other car. When you pull in a MB you are treated as Mr. so and so. You matter, your businesses are seen as important, whether you are buying, consulting or selling. I did not set this up; it is commonly found human behavior. You experience that reaction when you are on a Mercedes. That's why I say: Either you got a Mercedes, or you ain't got it! Claude."

Best value

By on Sunday, July 22, 2007

"For the money this vehicle has been great. 33MPG The best ride. Have driven Lexus, Cadillac, and Lincoln. This car out handles and rides better than the others. Low maintenance costs. Other than replacing some injector return lines and the brakes this car has been inexpensive to operate. 130K and no rattles or wind noise."

fantastic car

By on Tuesday, July 10, 2007

"This car is a fine tuned beautiful machine. great power and comfort. The last model that actually looks like a mercedes- classic."

Best car in a long time

By on Monday, December 8, 2014

Reason: bought another car

Pros: "very reliable"

Cons: "The cup holder is a cheezy design"

"Last of the Mercedes quality cars."

Like this car so much I bought another!

By on Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pros: "All the Space you'll ever need. Powerful 6-cyl."

Cons: "Somewhat low clearance."

"Cried when purchased and crying to sell...but...can't drive two cars. Like everything about this car....especially the burgundy color. You don't see these around much. Driving 500 miles home after a long weekend is effortless. Own this car!"

Rock solid ride

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pros: "Was designed for the Autobahn."

Cons: "People will think you are wealthy."

""Best part about owning this car is the cost. I paid $8000 8 years ago for it. New was over $50,000. People think it costs a lot to repair but it's not any more than any 10+ year old car out there. In fact if you are mechanically minded and are willing to do a little online research you will find this a joy to work on. The engineering was over and beyond anything I have ever owned, in fact everything that needs to be worked on has easy access or has a peculiar trick that makes working on this a breeze. This car has been driven from coast to coast and it is a joy on long road trips. People always comment on how nice this car looks and drives. Funny since it's worth less than $3000.00 . Here's the negative. I have the original chrome wheels. Unless you have new tires mounted they will leak and 4 new chrome wheels cost more than the car. "Chrome looks the best hands down on older Mercedes". My car in particular is old and it has it's issues. Drive train is rock solid but there's always some little issue cropping up. Emissions is more complicated but everything is fairly easy to fix. Oil change is a breeze, remove filter without getting under the car. Everyone should own a Mercedes at least once in their lifetime. I'm looking at replacing this with another 10 year old Mercedes. ""

Wonderful car - best ever

By on Saturday, December 28, 2013

Pros: "a real workhorse"

"Have driven this car for 11 years with no major problems, just routine maintenance. This is a tank - would keep it but need something "newer" for my business vehicle. They don't make them like this anymore!"

My, my, my!!! What an awesome car to own.

By on Saturday, December 21, 2013

Pros: "Build, timelessness, power, speed, solidarity, mpg"

Cons: "No open roads in U.S.A. to realize it's true power"

"In all the years I've been driving, and all the cars I've owned, not one of them has ever come as close to pleasing me in every single aspect as this 2002 E55 AMG. The later AMGs have these ridiculously powerful engines that boast around 500 HP, but for what?! My 2002 is rock solid at 355 horses, and the one or two times I've had it up to about 125 mph, the thing was still biting to get ahead before I had to pull on the pony reigns. As for the look, build and solidarity? At 12 years old it continues to turn heads, the engine and drivetrain are as solid as any car on the road (when well maintained), and squeaks, rattles and noises are non-existent at any speed. If you're looking to buy a car that runs and turns heads like any on the road valued north of $80,000, you can easily pick up one of these that's been well taken care of for less than $14,000 in 2014. Like any car, do your due diligence in researching the background and history on one of these street-legal race cars. Seldomly does anyone ever buy a car like this to drive slowly in the right-hand lane. As with every Mercedes I've ever owned, this one like all Mercedes automobiles persists in having the same nuance I've always complained about, which is the Cruise Control Lever that pushes forward to cancel, and pulls toward you to engage. Humanistically, it seems more natural to be just the opposite. HAPPY MOTORING!!!, and keep up on those scheduled maintenance requests."

Best ever--no repairs. Low maintenance.

By on Saturday, July 7, 2012

Pros: "Reliable and virtually carefree. Gets 24mpg."

Cons: "Not at all trendy; requires premium gas."

"Reliable, comfortable, luxurious, safe, spacious, AWD is great in snow."

best car i have owned

By on Saturday, June 23, 2012

Cons: "it is costly to operate"

"i had to do some repairs put i get 17 to 20 milles in the city and 23 to 26 on the highway. It is fun to drive"

Lux FAST

By on Monday, January 30, 2012

Pros: "It's a Mercedes Benz"

Cons: "It's 10 years old"

"When it comes to power, safety, comfort, dependability, and everything you want from a Luxury Sedan there just isn't any reason to give up this car - except to get a newer one. We had tried to save $ by getting a Lincoln once and Cadillac once but neither delivered like all of our previous MBs and so we went back to this and very glad we did. Worth the extra money."

Excellent!

By on Friday, January 13, 2012

Pros: "Smooth controlling drive, great sound quality."

Cons: "Price for services and parts."

"I have experienced some nice cars. However, there is a difference between driving in a good car, and driving in a luxury vehicle! You get what you pay for, the service fees may be high, but it will last you a lot longer than any other type of car service. In example, the oil change on any other vehicle is every three months. On a Mercedes-Benz the oil change last for at least a year!"

Very comfortable!

By on Friday, January 6, 2012

Reason: Title problem

Pros: "Great car, nice ride, wont leave you stranded."

Cons: "Parts are expensive, Parts are uncommon."

"This car was so soft. The seats breathed and you never ever felt sore after you drove for hours. It was responsive and handled well. Not the fastest car but didn't need to be. I didn't get to keep it long which is a real bummer because i really liked this car allot. Problems it had were expensive parts. Hard to find parts. The mechanics were not over complicated for a decent mechanic. Just a smooth car and i would get another one if i had a chance."

Nothing better for the money on the planet.

By on Sunday, November 6, 2011

Pros: "Motor, transmission, brakes, steering, fit, finish"

Cons: "Sensitive CEL, few."

"Owned one new in 2002...loved it for $65k then and found them to be an absolute bargain today. Picked up a 2001 with 78k for $15k...7k additional miles of bliss so far. The cars are simply a blast...fast, fun, clean, roomy. No squeeks or rattles. Runs like a MB Nascar."

Ten years of joy and NO repairs!

By on Saturday, October 22, 2011

"Simply wonderful car"

Love memory seat-mirrors-steering option

By on Thursday, October 20, 2011

"We bought this car just for fun - to drive and to sell, but I found that this car have very useful options - night option mirrors (they reflect green in the night), lots of compartments, and the most valuable for me - is three way memory seat/side mirrors, and steering wheel. Now I don't have troubles driving this car after my hubby - I press just one button and everything is set to my custom need."

I love this car

By on Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pros: "reliability, acceleration, and safety ratings"

Cons: "some parts are only available through dealer"

"The engine still purrs and has great pick up. You can not tell it is diesel exccept for the classic diesel sound. When it does need repairs they can be costly, but it is well worth it when you balance the safety and the reliability of the car. My Car is over twelve years old and I still get a lot of compliments on it. This could easily be a car to pass down for generations if one takes care of it and sees the beauty and reliabilty in the car. Not to mention, I love the exceleration power and the smoothness of the suspension. Now, the suspension does not handle like a brand new cadillac, but it is now a brand new car. If you are newly married and are planning on having a baby I know you would sleep better knowing your wife is in the E300 TD."

Very Reliable. Awesome To Drive!!

By on Sunday, October 9, 2011

Pros: "Great on gas; peppy; fun to drive; spacious; safe;"

Cons: "Not applicable for this car!"

"I have had this Mercedes-Benz for almost four years and it has been great. No problems with the vehicle or its designs. It looks and drives great. The oil is a pain to drain, although I take it to a place and they charge 20 dollars to open the bottom cover. Interior is great and very comfortable. I have the black leather and dark cherry wood. The outside is silver and looks classy. The car runs beautiful; she runs well for all 60,000 miles I have had her for. So far the best car I have ever had; coming from a 2005 Chrysler 300M and BMW 3 Series"