1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 504 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

2002 E320

By on Friday, November 7, 2008

"I bought this car used with 42,000 miles from dealership. Now has 110k on it. Pros: Runs excellent. Built like a tank - so solid. Great power - smooth like a Benz should be. Auto shifter is great. Oil filter on top - easy to change with oil boy. Milage 25mpg on average. I get 29 on highway with cruise. Cons: $1000 for a muffler. Benz maintenance is big $$ Power locks flaky Push button key fob is weird. No rear seat pass through. Over all, I am very pleased with this car. Paid 34k used versus 55k new. You do the math. If you want a really SOLID car - check out a used Benz. But save up about 2,000 for normal maintenance."

Not what they used to be!

By on Thursday, July 10, 2008

"The overall quality and value that Mercedes once represented, is no longer! Although I am a low mileage driver, I have experienced numerous mechanical problems, plastic parts breaking and maintenance issues before they were normally due. When replacing parts, many items only come as an entire unit, rather than breaking down the operating system into individual parts, which makes the replacement outrageously expensive and wasteful. I have owned eight different Mercedes models and I am certain, this is the last Mercedes I will ever own."

Disappointed, moving to Lexus

By on Saturday, January 12, 2008

"Original owner of 97 E320 sedan, followed all maintenance, still many problems. Head gasket replaced just after warranty..'design flaw' I was told but they wouldn't cover it. Electrical issues too numerous to detail, but all window assemblies, tail lights, mirror systems, instrument cluster, computer chips,etc. Some fixed, some too expensive given declining value of car. Engine at least runs great...fingers crossed. Lousy traction in any snow/ice...needs FWD. Otherwise comfortable, smooth ride with good performance. Buying new Lexus and keeping this for the kids. Will only consider MB when reliability is demonstrated beyond doubt."

rust never sleeps

By on Sunday, November 4, 2007

"Had this e320 for 8years and mechanically a fine workhorse. Frame and body rust killed it and had to scrap the car when front springs broke while travelling on highway. Electrical system glitches also very annoying withis year &model. Would recommend a Japenese car if you want reliability."

NOT THE OLD BENZ

By on Friday, July 27, 2007

"THIS CAR SEEMS ENGINEERED TO MAKE MAINTENANCE UNNECESSARILY COMPLICATED AND EXPENSIVE. TOO MANY DELICATE SYSTEMS THAT ARE PRONE TO FAILURE. COMFORTABLE HWY CRUISER 33MPG@75MPH"

Rustomania

By on Friday, April 4, 2014

Pros: "Reliable and Spacious"

Cons: "Rust on BODY of vehicle"

"This is a Beautiful Vehicle, my personal opinion is that it was designed for a man verses a woman (the seating and the front of the vehicle designed for tall individuals). It has a great engine. The interior is nice. Only complaint, since I am original owner- THE RUST on the door. Mercedes products are suppose to be high quality and for the price why????? The trunk is very roomy and back seat has lots of room for a child seat and passenger. Totally love this vehicle, just wish the body did NOT have RUST and that the company would stand by product. Thanks"

Drives like brand new!

By on Sunday, February 9, 2014

Pros: "handles extremely well under bad driving condition"

Cons: "expensive maintenance"

"Beautiful ride. This car drives just as well as when it came off the lot! I wouldn't drive any other car but the Mercedes Benz. Passing it down to my daughter. It's a keeper!"

Very good auto.

By on Thursday, April 5, 2012

"I would buy another one."

Amazing Car

By on Sunday, February 12, 2012

"I have owned this car since 2009 and I have never had any major trouble with it. The only problem I've faced is that the CD changer died, but that's a minor inconvenience. I bought it with 108000 miles and in the last 3 years, I have put an additional 34000 miles on it. This car loves to chew down on highway miles (I once got 33 mpg on it, but it averages between 26 and 29 mpg on the highway). It's the best car I have ever owned."

Excellent quality

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

Pros: "Solid and reliable with high quality luxury"

Cons: "Vague steering at low speeds and expensive dealers"

"Excellent quality and durability with responsive (if not sporty) handling. Acceleration is mid-pack. Traction with 4MATIC is fantastic even in the worst conditions."

A diesel powered energizer - it just keeps going

By on Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Pros: "dependable, fun to drive, great mileage"

Cons: "tires only last 25-30K miles"

"I've owned this car for 12 years now and it's been very dependable with routine maintenance. No significant unexpected repairs and there is no mistaken the Mercedes ride and comfort. I'm told repeatedly by my dealer that the newer Blue-Tech diesels are nowhere near the car this one was. So I keep it pristine with factory parts and let it keep on going."

wonderful car

By on Sunday, October 16, 2011

"If you don't love Mercedes You have never drove one! This car is comfort, stability, reliability, fast"

Currently enjoying a 185,000 mile relationship

By on Monday, September 5, 2011

Pros: "Reliable, comfortable, feeling of security ( a heavy car) ageless style, good gas milage."

Cons: "The mercilessly high prices Mercedes Benz charges for parts (and service)"

"185,000 miles thus far well worth the investment."

By on Sunday, April 24, 2011

"I bought my 2000 E320 in 2007 with 105000 miles. Great car. never let me down. Only thing I replaced were tires and A/C compresser. Drove until April 2011 put 190000 miles on it then I was hit by someone running a red light. totaled but no injury to me. I want another E320"

quick but not without faults

By on Wednesday, November 17, 2010

"Bought my '99 used with 139,000, no has 204,000 miles on it. Had the computer chipped so it's really quick, but these cars are expensive to maintain if you're not doing your own work. Prone to throwing "check engine" codes for MAF, ABS, etc. Expect to replace control arm bushings, belt tensioner, water pump (plastic impellers fail), window lift mechanism (cables break). Nothing too serious and of course this is after 200,000 miles. Still starts, runs, drives like a $50,000 car and gets 30 mpg. Just can't imagine having to pay dealer prices for repairs!"

By on Tuesday, November 16, 2010

"I have owned this car for seven years. It's my Sunday driver and has only 23,832 original miles. Looks are classic, European, handsome, masculine, and timeless. The leather smells brand new every time I open the doors. The metallic green paint is rich and glossy. The straight six 230 hp engine tugs like a locomotive. Lots of torque. The Bose sound system cannot be matched. It's practical yet made for show. You can drive all day at very high speeds and never become fatigued. There are no ergonomic drawbacks.No rattles. Hugely dependable. Probably the best Benz ever designed. Striking to behold and drive. I plan to keep this car perfect for 30 more years. I cannot believe the new E-Class cars draw this much pride."

Great used MB E320 4M

By on Thursday, August 5, 2010

"I bought this vehicle from a wholesaler with 118,000 miles on the odometer. I had approximately 8 years worth of dealer service records with the car. After much looking, I would never buy one without having access to several prior years of dealer service records. It had a few minor issues, since repaired. The dash digital displays for temperature, time and transmission gear were toasted when I got it but the service records seem to show this was a continual problem. The good news is I don't really need them so I don't worry about it. This is the best used car purchase I've ever made (except for my Corvettes, of course). No real problems in 10,000 miles. I don't hesitate to take it on 4-6 hour trips. Rides great, handles pretty good for a luxury ride (my other cars are a BMW 525, Lincoln Navigator and a Corvette), has plenty of interior and trunk room for all our stuff, great sound system (Bose) and the security of all wheel drive. I will definitely drive it till the wheels fall off and then I'll get another, maybe an S class next time."

2002 E320 Special Edition Review

By on Friday, May 14, 2010

"I saw this car advertised at $9000 w/85000 miles 4/2002. I previously owned Cadillacs, One test drive and I fell in love with the Black Birdseye Walnut interior and the nimble performance of the car. The premium sound system is the best I have heard in 30 years of car buying, With the final negotiated price of $8500 I had to trade the 2002 Cadillac Seville SLS. This car is great all the way around and the horsepower seems much greater than advertised. I am now a Benz enthusiast and had to convert from a die hard Cadillac fan. If you can find a good deal like me you won't be disappointed with your choice,"

By on Saturday, January 30, 2010

"I first fell in love with this car in 2003 when I drove it as a complimentary rental while my 2002 C240 Merc was being serviced. I finished the C240's lease and went and purchased this car. Loved it ever since. Still drives as smooth all these years later. Reliable and well built."

excellent alround vehicle

By on Monday, October 19, 2009

"its is best awd wagon I have ever had. 7 pass seating is awsome when hauling grandkids. Plenty of floor spce when 2cd and 3rd row flat. Leveling helps adjust trim level for comfortable driving loaded. 165,00 miles,$60,000 when new and after 10 years still worth $10 to 12,000 retail. mileage around town 22/25 and 30 mpg highway."

1998 E430

By on Sunday, September 13, 2009

"What a car. I bought it used with 115908 miles. Very powerful, quite, and comfortable. Handles great. Nothing else comes close. Worth the money."

She's a good one

By on Wednesday, September 9, 2009

"Bought 1998 model off-lease at 16K miles and paid half the new car price. Has been very reliable. Window fell into door once and rear bulbs fail more than they should but I have been very happy overall.. Smooth ride, great for long trips, decent mileage. Would like a bit more acceleration but cruising/passing power is impressive. Now has 110K miles and still truckin'. This car does not deserve the 'unreliable' stigma of MB."

A Gem of a car

By on Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"I bought my 2000 E430 4matic new and it's almost 10 years. Worth every penny. handles better in snow than my 4wd pickup. Safety at high speeds with all 4 wheels pulling is the best feeling. Going on 112,000 miles now and still running strong."

By on Sunday, January 11, 2009

"For a vehicle that is over a decade old, the 1996 E320's reliability, handling, comfort and classic mercedes-benz style hang tough with many vehicles right off the 2008 assembly line. As the parent of a 4 year old and 5 month old, there is not another car on the market in which I would feel as secure as I do when I am behind the wheel of my E320. I owned my first MB in the early 90's. Put over 400,000 miles on it when the odomoter finally gave up. I have no doubt I'll make it just as far in this one."

Worst MB I have owned

By on Thursday, September 4, 2008

"This is the 4th MB I have owned and will be my last. Paint chips easily (know issue by MB). Rust with the least little chip. Poor Dealer and MFG support. Electrical problems that cause light bulb failures. Most recent issue is the need to replace a 10 cent rubber cover for the Nav antenna...Dealer wants to sell me a whole antanna for over $400. Was able to buy a cover from a CA dealer for $90..(still a rip off). Clearly the 1996 Chrysler merger pulled MB down. I have had more problems with this one E320 in 55k miles than all three previous combined. Dealers also clearly not the same "service at any cost" as in the past."