1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 498 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

Saved my life

By on Sunday, October 14, 2012

Pros: "Extremely safe. Very comfortable. Heated seats!"

Cons: "No coffee cup holder"

"The earlier E-Series saved my life when I was rear-ended at high speed twice (Two cars each misjudged and slammed into the back of my stopped Mercedes). Middle driver in a Lexus SUV very badly injured. I had not even a bruise. This car at 100,000 miles is just as nice a ride as when I bought it used at 30,000 miles. I have driven it in snow, sleet, driving rains, etc. Handles all well. Very comfortable interior. This is not a sports car, it is a car to get you from A to B -- wherever you drive -- and do so safely and in luxury. I buy my Mercedes used and I am very loyal since my previous E class saved my life. I own many cars, since I have a large family and many American cars. The Mercedes are always in a class by themselves. My only complaint for the 2002 Mercedes is that it needed more coffee holders. Thank you Mercedes Benz."

Would buy again in a heartbeat (and plan to)

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pros: "reasonable mileage, few maintenance issues"

"I bought this 99 E320 in 2007 with ~110k on it. Drove it for the past 5 years with fewer problems than its American counterparts with fewer miles. No major mechanical problems, no failures of major components in the 5 years. Replaced tires and serpentine belt only. Strongly considering replacing it with a newer E320 just due to age of the vehicle. Still beautiful to look at and fun to drive...100% Mercedes."

Great

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"Great Vehicle,I bought one with a blown transmission for a steal,replaced it and have never had to replece anything after that.I have always wanted to own a Benz and love the German engineering.Awesome vehicle.Very affordable maintanence.Average price for a tune -up $185/Brakes $150/Oil change $45."

Great bang for the buck (if you can find one)

By on Friday, May 02, 2014

Pros: "Fast, fun, comfortable, and very safe."

Cons: "Not very well suited for cold weather, snow/ice."

"E55's are great cars. Powerful, fast, handle great, very comfortable and quiet. I bought this car mainly due to its safety. Definitely one of the safest vehicles built, out rank almost every other car out there. These cars are quite fast from the factory. They're hot-rods disguised as a family sedan. They run 13.0-13.5 bone stock from the factory. They corner like they're on rails, and stop on a dime due to the humongous brakes. Surprisingly, some parts are REALLY cheap right from the dealer (mainly suspension parts), other parts aren't quite as cheap. Front brakes cost $1k to do, however, you do them only once every 100k. The ride is firm yet doesn't jar you like a sports car does. The ride is further enhanced by the air filled seats (super comfortable). The interior layout is fairly simple and aesthetically pleasing with the dark wood finish. The only drawback for some people may be the COMAND (nav/radio) unit. It will take some getting used to. The ride is VERY quiet. The loudest thing on the car are the tires, which aren't really all that loud. The activated charcoal filters filter out any undesired smells, allergens and so forth. You can drive behind a truck spewing diesel smoke and not smell it. They have very few issues mechanically, however, if you can't fix it yourself, it may cost you a pretty penny to get it repaired (shops see the MB star and immediately want to charge you an arm and a leg). Being a professional mechanic, the more I work on this car, the more I realize the beauty of its simplicity to repair. It's actually quite easy to work on. All in all, a great car for the money."

Great Value for what you get.

By on Friday, November 11, 2011

Pros: "Value vs Luxury"

Cons: "Cost of repair/parts"

I Love my Mercedes-Benz

"Better know a mechanic or reasonable priced repair facility or do-it-yourself. The parts can be expensive. I have replaced both exhaust catalytic converters (fortunately the now make remanufactured converters). The crankshaft position sensor wil need replacing at some point. The outside mirrors will change colors (buy used). Some other minor stuff. But the car drives great and has great fuel economy."

I Love my Mercedes-Benz

So much fun. So reliable. A classic!

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive. Classic look. Great paint."

Cons: "At 10 years old the air cannot be inexpensively re"

"Totally worth the money. We are hard on cars and our Mercedes E320 is lasting through all the wear and tear. The repair cost vs the mileage is remarkable. Our air is out and not worth fixing, but I would drive cross country on a cool day in a minute... No worries! I expect it to work past 300,000 miles just keep up with oil changes."

Love it!!

By on Monday, August 20, 2012

Pros: "Secure feeling when driving"

Cons: "do not realize how fast you are going"

"I bought a 1999 E320 AWD and have loved this car! My car has over 281100 miles on it and has only needed an alternator and a water pump. Great gas mileage and comfort! I will have a tear in my eye when I trade it in we have done a lot of road time together!!"

saved my life

By on Saturday, September 29, 2012

Pros: "Good reliability and value"

Cons: "flimsy cupholders"

"I had an 2002 E-320 4matic with 158,000 miles on it, I rear ended somebody and it got totaled, but the safety features saved my life, the hood folded up and the engine mount went downwards, I was able to find another 2002 E-320 RWD with 84000. miles on it and it drives like new, I definitely would recommend this line of Mercedes Benz."

Last of the best

By on Thursday, December 01, 2011

Pros: "extremely reliable, comfortable for long rides"

Cons: "routine maintenance commitment"

"I don't consider myself a big car person, having owned two other Mercedes (C and SLK class), but when my C class life ended, I found this one. Handling is amazing, and it's saved my life literally twice, but what I chuckle at weekly is the gas mileage - I get much better than even smaller classes below mine, at 25 city and up to 35mpg highway! This particular car is very high quality - it is so roomy that I have put quite a number of DIY projects in it, without a problem (of course, careful to not scratch the leather). This was the last year the E430s were made, and many of the E and even S class cars (500 ) are smaller in room and overall size. Anyone with a Mercedes will tell you that the scheduled maintenance is the key to enjoyment - some consider this a minus, but I don't. This keeps costs low and out of the shop overall. Find a great mechanic, and stay on top of your scheduled A and B maintenance, and you'll have a car for many many years beyond other cars, and without headaches."

E-320

By on Monday, March 17, 2008

"Bought this car as a used car, which had been reasonably well mainteined over the years. Very minor cosmetic issues. The engine is very reliable and the transmission very smooth. It is comfortable, although sometimes I would wish for an extra inch at the well (I'm 6.2" and have long legs). I am happy with it and will invest in some issues which have come up (after all, it does have 117,000 miles) and bring it up to snuff. The gas mileage is good (av. 20 mpg 18 city/24 road - although premium, which offsets the good mileage, lower cost issue) and should last a few more years with a relatively modest investment in repairs."

the car has been constantly in the shop

By on Wednesday, November 07, 2007

"I purchased the car used with only 50,000 .The car has not been very reliable.The break lights are out every 6mon's.I have to start the car in N,not in park..I have replaced the A/C compressor,Motor Mounts, Blower Motor Regulator,constants electrical problems and the engine lights keeps coming on. The car in now park in the driveway.. The car only has 78,000miles now and $6,000plus in repairs...I'm not happy because this was to be my retirement car...."

They just don't make them like this anymore....

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pros: "$ has come down recently. Built like a tank."

Cons: "Front cup holder, rear window regulators."

"What a great car. Even though mine is (almost) 15 years old, I still get compliments and questions at gas stations and in parking lots all the time. Classic Mercedes look and built like a tank. You can really get a feel for how well the car is built the moment you start it. I looked at a 2010 E-class a few weeks ago and thought about trading mine in, until I drove the new one. This car has so many advantages to the newer ones. ($$, too) Great on twisty roads (don't treat it like a small two-door though) good mileage for a strong V-8 and a wonderful highway ride. Again, build quality is great, but remember, it is a car, and let's face it, cars break sometimes. Mine has only been in the shop twice, and both times hurt. Finding a small repair shop to fix these things can be tough so you may be stuck with returning to the dealer for repairs. OUCH! If you buy one, keep it maintained and I bet you'll be as happy with it as I am with mine."

I love my wagon!

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

"We bought the 1999 E320 wagon used for $11K, in 2005 and it had 105,000 miles on it. The front seats are uncomfortable for my 6'3" husband. At 115,000 miles, we had to have some transmission work done to the tune of $1700. Since then, we have not any additional issues other than a few small things. Like, the back passenger window motor went out about 2 years ago. The auto locks don't work (but the alarm does). The AC went out at about 130K miles, but we replaced with a private mechanic for $750. Don't take this car to a MB dealer - you will pay top dollar for repairs. We have also replaced the oxygen sensor at 175K - bought the part for $80 and my hubby put in it. It now needs an oil sensor - again, the part is under $100. I have never been stranded in this car and told my hubby when we got it that I would keep it until the odometer read 200K. We're there and as long as she'll run, I'll drive her! My only complaint is that our boys are getting bigger and that big seat isn't growing any. The front seats are uncomfortable for my 6'3" husband."

Best Car Yet!

By on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

"I purchased this car about a year ago with 209,000 and 15,000 miles later I didn't have to do anything to it except New Tires and Routine Service. Most people are turned away from a car that has high mileage but as most people know Mercedes run forever as long as they are well taken care of. Make sure that before you do buy a car with High Mileage make sure that you have it checked by someone who knows what to look for especially invisible problems that you cant see with the naked eye. I know I got a great deal because I bought this car for 4,400 and the Kelly blue book at the time was I believe around 7,500. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone and that just because a car has high mileage doesn't mean its a piece of junk!"

Love it

By on Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"I purchased this car (1996 E320) in 2007. It had 105,000 miles at the time. Since, I have put 28,000 miles on the car and replaced the water pump, one ignition coil and brake pads. As for performance, I have found the car to be surprisingly quick and agile. Its performance and handling are made more impressive by the fact that vehicle maintains a rock-solid feel and provides a spacious, comfortable, quiet environment for its passengers. I've owned many cars (a quick count says 25 in the past 25 years and I know I'm forgetting a few) in my life and this is the first one that I have owned that I wasn't looking to trade-in within a year of owning it. I love my E320 and would only part with it for a newer model E or S class. I would absolutely recommend this car to anyone considering it for purchase."

Best car I have ever own for the money.

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pros: "Very dependable"

Cons: "Costly repairs but not that often."

"I've owned several high end cars and usually trade them in before I get close to +80k miles. But this car even now drives and performs like a newer car. I often wondered why I would see several older models on the road now I know why they don't quite. Repairs are on the high end but not as often. Well worth the money I paid new."

A great car!

By on Friday, July 06, 2012

Pros: "Quality, nimble handling, reliability."

Cons: "I can't think of any."

"I bought this car new in 1998 and have loved it ever since. I'm considering getting a newer car for the more recent safety and technology advances, and it will have to be another Mercedes E-class!"

Great Car 197,000 miles and counting

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "This is a car for the long haul"

"I love me E320, I keep thinking ok something is about to go wrong and then it doesn't. People talk of the horror stories they've had but I have had great luck with mine. I've replaced a sensor or two and will admit that bulbs blow way to quickly and the oil changes are more expensive. However I consider it a good trade off since its paid off and still running after 12yrs. TAKE CARE of these cars and they won't leave you stranded. I know people with chevy's and such that are barely making it out of the driveway at 70k miles. My little E just keeps on crusing."

By on Monday, March 08, 2010

"I bought this car with 248k on it had it checked out by a MB dealer and the only thing wrong with it was a slight oil leak. Which we replaced the seal on it. Everything else the mechanic said it was excellent! I couldn't believe that an 11 yr. old car (MY1999) with that kind of mileage would still have such a strong engine and transmission! The tech said if I didn't want to buy it he would!"

Affordable Luxury Car

By on Saturday, November 24, 2007

"My E320 is a 1998. Very roomy inside and quiet, no major problems so far. Would be better to have the 4matic(AWD) specially with bad weather. Other than that excellent car, decent fuel economy and elegant drive.This particular model doesn't show age at all. If you want an E320 make sure the electrical components are ok."

Nothing but problems

By on Sunday, November 04, 2007

"I purchased a 1999 E300TD new and have had problems with the car ever since I drove it out of the dealership. Most of the problems were electrical, but there were many mechanical problems as well. Rear windows that needed multiple repairs, headrest that wouldn't go up and down, glow plugs that needed to be replaced prematurely, transmission problems, and even had to have the radio replaced. The car also had problems with a security thing in the engine that kept the car from starting - it seems no one else had ever had such a problem and the part was almost impossible to find. In short, I'll never buy another Mercedes again."

Was engineered for the Autobahn.

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pros: "Rock soild and safe"

Cons: "People will think you are wealthy"

"Best part about owning this car is the cost. I paid $8000 8 years ago for it. New was over $50,000. People think it costs a lot to repair but it's not any more than any 10+ year old car out there. In fact if you are mechanically minded and are willing to do a little online research you will find this a joy to work on. The engineering was over and beyond anything I have ever owned, in fact everything that needs to be worked on has easy access or has a peculiar trick that makes working on this a breeze. This car has been driven from coast to coast and it is a joy on long road trips. People always comment on how nice this car looks and drives. Funny since it's worth less than $3000.00 . Here's the negative. I have the original chrome wheels. Unless you have new tires mounted they will leak and 4 new chrome wheels cost more than the car. "Chrome looks the best hands down on older Mercedes". My car in particular is old and it has it's issues. Drive train is rock solid but there's always some little issue cropping up. Emissions is more complicated but everything is fairly easy to fix. Oil change is a breeze, remove filter without getting under the car. Everyone should own a Mercedes at least once in their lifetime. I'm looking at replacing this with another 10 year old Mercedes."

Best Car Ever!

By on Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Pros: "Great pleasure in driving it. Safety."

Cons: "Leather seats are a little hard."

"Incredibly comfortable, secure handling and great feeling of quality. My wife also loves our E320 Station Wagon for the same reasons. I spend a good deal of time maintaining it but I thoroughly enjoy working and admiring its sophisticated engineering and design. The key to this car is MAINTENANCE. We get 23.5 MPG in town and 28 MPG on highway trips. Love it!"

E-300 Diesel Review

By on Thursday, May 01, 2008

"Super dependable, however just about everything outside of the drive trian and brakes has broken. My wife's Pontiac's sunfire has a better track record. Electrical switches are all failing one by one, suspension has had several costly issues, and the AC components constantly fail. All are documented issues online. Good to great fuel economy, have reached 38 Mpg traveling at 70 Mph, but don't expect this to be a worry free fuel-up-and-go car."

Great car!

By on Friday, April 04, 2008

"I love my MB E320. I live on a budget and I purchased this car pre-owned and have had no problems whatsoever. I get oil changes and have a great mechanic. I change cars every 3 years, but I can't find a reason to buy a new car; this one may very well last forever. You can't go wrong."