• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 495 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

Great car, sold on Mercedes

By on Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Pros: "Solid car"

Cons: "diesel clatter"

"Needed a 4-door sedan, got a good price on a '97 300D, very low mileage. A luxury level car, especially since Diesels are usually plain. Wife likes the leather, moonroof etc. I like the solid smooth ride, tight transmission, very low road noise, super adjustable seats. Only drawback is that diesels don't have super acceleration, fine with me. Good fuel mileage. There is just nothing like a Mercedes for great engineering and detail, and nothing I've ever driven compares to the E-class."

I feel so safe in this car!

By on Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Pros: "Classy, Quick, Safe & Comfortable."

Cons: "i don't have a drink holder in the front seat"

"I love my car. I've never felt so safe in a vehicle. Last month someone decided to get off the freeway directly from the third lane i was passing the exit in the first lane. So, from 65mph (probably more like 70-75) to a dead stop to avoid the moron - I'm not going to lie. I was scared. Every other vehicle I've had would've maybe tried to stop, but ended up smashing that dude. My mercedes came to a solid, safe & secure stop, on a dime. It was fantastic! Gotta love that German engineering!"

Best Mercedes I've ever owned.

By on Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Pros: "Reliable, leather interior, comfortable car riding"

Cons: "Needs new clear coat."

"This 1996 Mercedes diesel is a real trooper. Taupe exterior, leather seats, Sunroof, A/C, large trunk, I have personally logged over 220,000 miles in this car. I bought the E300D from my West Palm Beach Mercedes dealer. I average about 32 MPG. I will give the buyer all of the service records. The only needed repairs is new paint and a couple of rust spots. I have an estimate of $2500 for the paint and rust. $4500."

this a great car .having been driven in winter.

By on Sunday, January 11, 2015

"none"

My worst expentiture for a car in 53 yrs.

By on Friday, January 09, 2015

Pros: "Style is nice."

Cons: "Cost of ownership"

"Some of the problems I had: 1)Front strut separated from frame. It was actually attached to sheet metal not the frame. 2)Glow plugs had to be replaced numerous times. 3)When the car kept stalling I took it to the dealer for repair. Paid $400 dollars for a diagnostic and another $2200 for repairs. Drove the car for a half mile after picking it up and it stalled again. Turned out to be a fuel relay which I replaced my self. 4)When the injector pump began to leak the dealer advised me that it was "unserviceable" and a new one would cost $5600.00. I found an O-ring kit on the internet for twenty bucks and repaired it myself. 5)Even though it was garaged, every quarter panel and doors are rusted in multiple spots. I'd keep going but I'm running out of room here but I hope you get the picture. So much for Mercedes quality and their dependable dealerships."