1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 500 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

Saved my life

By on Sunday, October 14, 2012

Pros: "Extremely safe. Very comfortable. Heated seats!"

Cons: "No coffee cup holder"

"The earlier E-Series saved my life when I was rear-ended at high speed twice (Two cars each misjudged and slammed into the back of my stopped Mercedes). Middle driver in a Lexus SUV very badly injured. I had not even a bruise. This car at 100,000 miles is just as nice a ride as when I bought it used at 30,000 miles. I have driven it in snow, sleet, driving rains, etc. Handles all well. Very comfortable interior. This is not a sports car, it is a car to get you from A to B -- wherever you drive -- and do so safely and in luxury. I buy my Mercedes used and I am very loyal since my previous E class saved my life. I own many cars, since I have a large family and many American cars. The Mercedes are always in a class by themselves. My only complaint for the 2002 Mercedes is that it needed more coffee holders. Thank you Mercedes Benz."

Great Value for what you get.

By on Friday, November 11, 2011

Pros: "Value vs Luxury"

Cons: "Cost of repair/parts"

I Love my Mercedes-Benz

"Better know a mechanic or reasonable priced repair facility or do-it-yourself. The parts can be expensive. I have replaced both exhaust catalytic converters (fortunately the now make remanufactured converters). The crankshaft position sensor wil need replacing at some point. The outside mirrors will change colors (buy used). Some other minor stuff. But the car drives great and has great fuel economy."

I Love my Mercedes-Benz

So much fun. So reliable. A classic!

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive. Classic look. Great paint."

Cons: "At 10 years old the air cannot be inexpensively re"

"Totally worth the money. We are hard on cars and our Mercedes E320 is lasting through all the wear and tear. The repair cost vs the mileage is remarkable. Our air is out and not worth fixing, but I would drive cross country on a cool day in a minute... No worries! I expect it to work past 300,000 miles just keep up with oil changes."

saved my life

By on Saturday, September 29, 2012

Pros: "Good reliability and value"

Cons: "flimsy cupholders"

"I had an 2002 E-320 4matic with 158,000 miles on it, I rear ended somebody and it got totaled, but the safety features saved my life, the hood folded up and the engine mount went downwards, I was able to find another 2002 E-320 RWD with 84000. miles on it and it drives like new, I definitely would recommend this line of Mercedes Benz."

E-320

By on Monday, March 17, 2008

"Bought this car as a used car, which had been reasonably well mainteined over the years. Very minor cosmetic issues. The engine is very reliable and the transmission very smooth. It is comfortable, although sometimes I would wish for an extra inch at the well (I'm 6.2" and have long legs). I am happy with it and will invest in some issues which have come up (after all, it does have 117,000 miles) and bring it up to snuff. The gas mileage is good (av. 20 mpg 18 city/24 road - although premium, which offsets the good mileage, lower cost issue) and should last a few more years with a relatively modest investment in repairs."